• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is there a standard legal wasteland variant?

I guess it would fuck with Modern to have legal Stifle.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well so far blue seems to be overwhelmingly the best colour in Theros limited, perhaps even more so then M14. There is so little real removal that all the bounce cards they get make them crazy good.

Haly

i4sGy0EmXJfMH.png

FUCK THIS NOISE

Haly

I'm going UB Devotion Stall. Really wanted to splash red but I Steam Augery/Lightning strike just isn't worth spending 1-2 amulets on.

Haly

ibd2HUMRPQ38QK.png

Ow.

EDIT: Jesus I'm totally out of it, just herping everywhere.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Pool #2. Elspeth, Cerberus and Thoughtseize, at least this one paid for itself unlike my last awful pool.

EDIT: Reaper too.

10106892034_e02e853190_o.jpg

Exokell

Banned
Well so far blue seems to be overwhelmingly the best colour in Theros limited, perhaps even more so then M14. There is so little real removal that all the bounce cards they get make them crazy good.
I disagree, this format is all about fatties. Combined with green ramp, game over.

Yeef

I think all of the colors are fairly balanced. Blue is probably the best support color in the format though. Lots of splashable cards that are worth splashing for.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Finally playing some standard.

Holy hell has the entire game just changed. I sort of hate scry right now. It slows down every game to a crawl.

WanderingWind

These types of mechanics make playing bad players miserable.

I know in my head it's going to get better when everybody becomes familiar with the cards, but holy hell is it annoying to watch somebody stare at two cards for minutes on end only to put them on the bottom of their deck.

Haly

Messed up a draft. Got 3 Fanatic of Mogis and 2 Lightning strikes but not enough creatures so I had to splash B and W, which diluted my consistency.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Walked into my local shop and some guy gave me 200+ Theros common and uncommons because he didn't want them out of nowhere. Can't wait to look through them tomorrow.

I gave into temptation and tried a Theros draft online. Picked up two white heroic weenies with picks one and two and decided now was as good of a time as any to try the Wx heroic aggressive deck.

Yeah, I don't suggest going all-in on the white weenie plan. I didn't expect that it would work, but I needed to see it for myself. There's a deck there, if enough if the right pieces fall into your hands. But you have to draw everything in just the right order for it to work. When I had the dream curve, it was magical. But I had way too many unkeepable sevens and losses to decks that just curved out for my tastes.

Going all-in on an Ordeal is a strong (if a bit ballsy) play. Going all-in on heroic aggro isn't. I needed to see that for myself to know for sure, and now I do.

Exokell

Banned
Standard really sucks right now, it's basicaly u/w control and red aggro with a sprinkle of selesnya. I hope the next set will bring different kind of decks.

kirblar

Standard really sucks right now, it's basicaly u/w control and red aggro with a sprinkle of selesnya. I hope the next set will bring different kind of decks.
Might want to look at the latest SCG event. ;)

Mono-Red IS a gatekeeper deck right now though.

rCIZZLE

Walked into my local shop and some guy gave me 200+ Theros common and uncommons because he didn't want them out of nowhere. Can't wait to look through them tomorrow.

I do this all the time now with my leftover cards from drafts and prize packs. Already have too much nerd shit laying around between magic cards, comics, plastic gaming instruments, and more.

An-Det

Hot damn, GR Tron finally top 8-ed a Modern Grand Prix, and with two different players. They dont have the top 16 up yet, so not sure how things looked there, but the top 8 looks like this:

2 Junk (GBW)
2 G/R Tron
1 Kiki-Pod
2 Affinity
1 Jund

Quarterfinals:
Jund beat Affinity
Affinity beat Tron
Junk beat Tron
Pod beat Junk

Semis (currently going):
Jund vs Affinity
Junk vs Pod

God I wish this was being streamed.

kirblar

Hot damn, GR Tron finally top 8-ed a Modern Grand Prix, and with two different players. They dont have the top 16 up yet, so not sure how things looked there, but the top 8 looks like this:

2 Junk (GBW)
2 G/R Tron
1 Kiki-Pod
2 Affinity
1 Jund

Quarterfinals:
Jund beat Affinity
Affinity beat Tron
Junk beat Tron
Pod beat Junk

Semis (currently going):
Jund vs Affinity
Junk vs Pod

God I wish this was being streamed.
And qualified no one. ;)

SCG has a mono green deck in the top 4 that looks kinda fun.
Then has a GW token deck as well.
Then typical Naya and an interesting Junk deck.

But the mono green looks fun.

Ramp baby ramp.

zoukka

Blue Green ramp is the best archetype in Theros draft just sayin. Horizon Chimera is bomb status.

Haha this format is fucking awesome. So many options to build super powerful decks! Makes Ravnica feel like shit in comparison imo (even though I was on the losing end of that match :b)

Haha this format is fucking awesome. So many options to build super powerful decks! Makes Ravnica feel like shit in comparison imo (even though I was on the losing end of that match :b)

Yeah, that's the kinda thing I was talking about earlier. If you get the right pieces and draw them in the right order, you can do some sick stuff. But it seems like it's going to be really hard to get that kind of deck and consistently pull it off.

zoukka

Yeah, that's the kinda thing I was talking about earlier. If you get the right pieces and draw them in the right order, you can do some sick stuff. But it seems like it's going to be really hard to get that kind of deck and consistently pull it off.

I dunno. For example a favoured hoplite only needs any spells that target it for it to become insane. The cards are very powerful on their own, even small stuff like warriors lesson, triton tactics and coordinated assault. One mana spells that are total blowouts if not played around. Scry further improves the games and prevents floods. Rares and mythics contain bomb after bomb and your normal dudes are always competetively priced. A hill giant has trample and monstrosity. A 5 mana 3/4 flier lets you scry off of all instants and sorceries.

Tons of power.

Haly

With MODO out, I can finally deckbuild!

I really like Bident so I made this:

CREATURES (23)
4 Judge's Familiar
4 Cloudfin Raptor
4 Frostburn Weird
4 Tidebinder Mage
4 Nightveil Specter
3 Master of Waves

OTHER (13)
2 Magma Jet
2 Izzet Charm
2 Dissolve
2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Turn/Burn
3 Bident of Thassa

LANDS (24)
3 Mutavault
9 Island
8 Mountain
4 Steam Vents

SIDEBOARD
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Gainsay
2 Burning Earth
2 Peak Eruption
1 Pithing Needle
3 Thassa, God of the Sea
2 Cyclonic Rift

It's not going to win any dailies or anything but it's really fun. Going to keep testing it to see if it's worth building at all.

WanderingWind

Agent of the Fates + Desecration Demon are a great backbone for B/G. In one turn you can very often have them sac two creatures, which considering the lack of blitz type decks is pretty nice.

Top Bottom