• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Odds of WOTC banking on this assumption and selling all crap cards?

I can't think of why they'd do it. The market devaluation on any powerful reprints wouldn't be that great for such a limited run (and really they only seem to care about that with the really big stuff like Goyf) and they have no reason to ruin their cred for future products.

There have been some stinkers of products sure, but I don't think they'd deliberately gimp it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's as format warping as brainstorm is in legacy so let's ban brainstorm there. Yeah?

Come on, you have to draw a line somewhere. DRS is not Jund's wincon. DRS is not Melira's wincon. It's just hyper efficient and enables a lot of stuff. Can you really justify banning for being hyper efficient? Fine then ban Tarmogoyf, ban fetchlands....blah blah blah.

Sorry, I'm of the school that says unban bitterblossom and visions. Let's play that game. PLEASE. Let's enable all the non GB/X decks instead of banning everything we've spent our hard earned money on. Every deck I've built in Modern has had cards banned. I didn't "net deck" my stuff. I made them because they made sense and were super great for my meta. If it happens again (another ban), I'm fucking done. Will happily cash out a few grand on my paper and this game can fuck off.

I rather wonder what a "fair" casting cost for DRS would be where people wouldn't call for it to be banned.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
2 Disciple of Phenax, 2 Grey Merchant of Asphodel, 2 Lightning Strike, 1 Return from the Underworld.

The draft of my dreams.

Presenting the Rakdos midrange dream deck:

i7GErmrNq40zc.png

iwHgBIa3rPYZr.png

ibd7cBXD4lgFi3.png

iBwRRDqClq4iE.png

rCIZZLE

I hope they sneak a junk-compatible cascade creature into the new edh decks even though cascade won't be a featured mechanic this time around.

Haly

I lost a round after casting Elspeth.

Fuck, that was the worst Glare of Heresy in my life. I had ZERO other white permanents but I did play some Plains, which must've tipped the other guy off so he sided in Heresy.

Note to self:
- Hatedraft the hate for your bomb
- When splashing for a bomb, include some other splash-color spells just as a diversion for that bomb

I lost a round after casting Elspeth.

Fuck, that was the worst Glare of Heresy in my life. I had ZERO other white permanents but I did play some Plains, which must've tipped the other guy off so he sided in Heresy.

Note to self:
- Hatedraft the hate for your bomb
- When splashing for a bomb, include some other splash-color spells just as a diversion for that bomb

Same reason why you snap pick DOJ or Wraths when you're drafting aggro in cube ;D

This just might be the easiest 3-0 I've ever had in a draft. I first picked Xenagos, then got really lucky to have both red and green be completely open. There's really nothing interesting to say about the games themselves, other than Xenagos was a house, and Vulpine Goliath did its job every single game. But once again, the single most important card in the deck is Voyaging Satyr, and the value of getting three of them in the draft cannot be understated.

E2pCxjv.png

zoukka

This just might be the easiest 3-0 I've ever had in a draft. I first picked Xenagos, then got really lucky to have both red and green be completely open. There's really nothing interesting to say about the games themselves, other than Xenagos was a house, and Vulpine Goliath did its job every single game. But once again, the single most important card in the deck is Voyaging Satyr, and the value of getting three of them in the draft cannot be understated.

Yep like I said, any ramp is first pick material in theros.

zoukka

lol

Btw, what would be the cheapest way to get tickets in mtgo for me? I've been buying them from friends so I have no experience of retailers. Buying them from mtgo is not an option :b

TP17

Did my first Theros draft online yesterday and ended up with a ridiculously conflicted BWu deck that was terrible but managed to sneak the win in the wooden spoon game to go 1-2. It was still fun and I got a whip of erebos for my standard deck, going to be playing that format for the first time - only ever played limited before.

sammich

So how many people here are going to try out the Hex TCG? I screwed up/forgot/too much wedding expenses, and now im going to settle for the slacker $50 pack. It really does seem awesome.

Lucario

lol

Btw, what would be the cheapest way to get tickets in mtgo for me? I've been buying them from friends so I have no experience of retailers. Buying them from mtgo is not an option :b

Buy from people who are quitting -- in small quantities so you don't get scammed.

Getting them for under 0.97 each is pretty much impossible, though, and if you want a safe route (like ebay) you can expect to pay over $1 each.

Tickets are the currency of MTGO, so their value is pretty stable by necessity. Unless the tax rate where you live is really high, buying them straight from Wizards is just as good as anything else.

zoukka

In theros you get punished for everything :b here's hoping the format doesn't devolve into a pure slugfest like it kinda feels right now.

Green decks without ramp feel very weak. Gotta 1st pick those mana dorks.

Exokell

Banned
lol im having the worst luck, bad draws and powerful decks from opponent. And btw I had a deck with 3 voyaging never drawing any. Im 0-6 right now. Fuck it, im going back to standard. lol

Haly

I'm learning a lot about legacy from this jpg.

Apologies. It clicks to readable size just fine on my browser, so I'm not sure what to change.

And mainly, I'm just fatigued from hunting down new Standard singles all of the time. I've been sort of keeping up with Standard since the tail-end of Lorowyn/Alara so I think I'm ready to take a step back from Standard for awhile. (But I still want to play competitive Constructed)

Haly

Photobucket sucks, I've reupped it to minus:
isurxUiJ8VngQ.jpg

Apologies. It clicks to readable size just fine on my browser, so I'm not sure what to change.

And mainly, I'm just fatigued from hunting down new Standard singles all of the time. I've been sort of keeping up with Standard since the tail-end of Lorowyn/Alara so I think I'm ready to take a step back from Standard for awhile. (But I still want to play competitive Constructed)

And Modern is too risky with the ban hammer always being swung about?

Firemind

Legacy is fun because you can do completely degenerate things, yet it's fair to do so.

Well, except that one time when Survival of the Fittest got banned. I never really understood the reasoning.

kirblar

Legacy is fun because you can do completely degenerate things, yet it's fair to do so.

Well, except that one time when Survival of the Fittest got banned. I never really understood the reasoning.
Because Vengevine-Survival was the best deck in the format and the only deck in the format worth playing as a serious competitor, to the point where the only tier 1 decks were THREE different version of it.

I think I'd like to make an artifact/affinity legacy deck. I remember loving artifact decks back when I was playing during the original mirrodin block. Is there any affinity deck that anyone here can highly recommend? I'm seeing a lot of Tezzeret decks and BUw decks. I have my old BR "standard" deck from back in the day in sleeves. But it isn't taking advantage of all that has come since.

G.ZZZ

120$ duals are still a bit of a pain. It's true that you can resell them and you'll probably get on top with it, but it's a big front-load investment. I'm hoping WotC release Legenduals in some Commander Precon (old duals with legendary supertype). They would at least allow people to play less original duals in each deck.

An-Det

This actually makes me really want to get into Legacy, haha...

(Click for size)

"Do you hate yourself -> doomsday" is so damn true.

Because Vengevine-Survival was the best deck in the format and the only deck in the format worth playing as a serious competitor, to the point where the only tier 1 decks were THREE different version of it.

Yup, as much as I loved Survival that format was warped beyond belief. It had to go.

Firemind

Couldn't people use Pithing Needle or the million available graveyard removal?

kirblar

Couldn't people use Pithing Needle or the million available graveyard removal?
That's so adorably naive.

Surgical Extraction wasn't even a card at the time. Also, even if it was- this is the basic sequence in response to any interference.

"Extraction on Vengevine"

"In response I'll Discard Vengevine Vengevine, getting Basking Rootwalla. I'll pitch Basking Rootwalla, playing Basking Rootwalla, and getting Basking Rootwalla, I'll pitch Basking Rootwalla, playing Basking Rootwalla, getting my Vengevines back and get a Vengevine."

Here's my revised decklist for the Gristlebrand deck I was making. Basically the glass cannon deck with the rare turn-1 win pulled out for more control. Any ideas for making it more consistent? I'm fresh out.

4x Soul Spike
4x Fury of the Horde
4x Simian Spirit Guide
3x Pact of Negation

3x Titan's Strength
4x Thoughtsieze
4x Faithless Looting
2x Slaughter Pact
3x Funeral Charm

4x Goryo's Vengeance

3x Liliana of the Veil
2x Footsteps of the Goryo

4x Gristlebrand

4x Gemstone Mine
4x Forbidden Orchard
4x Blackcleave Cliffs
4x Sulfurous Springs

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";85464934]Dammit, that's what I get for looking up cards with cardkingdom set to modern.[/QUOTE]
There was a list at the Australian GP that went 8-0.....
then went 0-6 on Day 2, lol

Top Bottom