• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They just need to make a Kamigawa-esque block, but instead of legendaries, Planeswalkers.

Oprah: "And you get to generate CA. And you, and you, and you, and you."

Thomas, the Tries-As-Hard-As-Jace-But-Is-Ultimately-Incompetent

U

+2 Draw a card, then discard three cards.
0 Each player reveals their hand, then shuffles their library.
- 4 Look at the top 5 cards of your opponent's library. Put one back then the rest into that player's graveyard. Each player draws a card.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";88854140]Thomas, the Tries-As-Hard-As-Jace-But-Is-Ultimately-Incompetent

U

- 4 Look at the top 5 cards of your opponent's library. Put one back then the rest into that player's graveyard. Each player draws a card.

1[/QUOTE]

TOTALLY broken for Legacy decks like Reanimator. Also his 0 ability gets you out of Brainstorm locks. This card is bonkers.

G.ZZZ

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";88854140]Thomas, the Tries-As-Hard-As-Jace-But-Is-Ultimately-Incompetent

U

1[/QUOTE]

Hello, i'm Bazaar of Baghdad, only blue because i'm a modernly designed good card.

EDIT: didn't notice that the 0 screw tutors and make brainstorm ancestral recalls. Well this is balanced then.

An-Det

U

1[/QUOTE]

That's be far more warping the Jace TMS, card is nuts. I love it.

kirblar

Which is the absolute DUMBEST line of reasoning I've heard from them in a while.
It's not. Common/Uncommon are dumbed down under the "any pack can be their first pack" theory. Note that you get "Destoy target noncreature permanent" at Uncommon/Common. "Destroy Target PW" is also ultimately too narrow.

I've always said they should print better no-ability creatures at common. more 3/3 flavor text with pretty pictures for two. Just to trick them into green.

f0rk

What's cheap and fun in Standard right now? Just something to fuck around with at FNM and some win a boxes without committing to the rotation rollercoaster again.

f0rk

R/B aggro?

Hmm yeah that might do. I was worried mono red wouldn't be cheap anymore with all the 1 drops they've been printing at rare recently
I'll end up needing to buy a playset of Blood Crypts at one point in my life anyway right?

Why are Rakdos Cacklers £1 lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What's cheap and fun in Standard right now? Just something to fuck around with at FNM and some win a boxes without committing to the rotation rollercoaster again.

Green devotion is pretty cheap and can be hilarious fun. I cracked a dude with a 40/40 mistcutter hydra last night.

OnPoint

It's not. Common/Uncommon are dumbed down under the "any pack can be their first pack" theory. Note that you get "Destoy target noncreature permanent" at Uncommon/Common. "Destroy Target PW" is also ultimately too narrow.

I understand the theory. But cards like Doom Blade feel out of place for me at uncommon, so Hero's Downfall feels off at rare. I get the new mentality. I know why they choke the abilities for commons and uncommons. I just don't like it.

Karakand

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";88844180]If they really wanted to lower the price of entry for new constructed players with something they could stick in every booster, they'd reprint mana-fixing uncommons like the fetchlands. The problem is that wizards have built up way too much excitement about rare lands that everybody needs to be putting in their deck. They're too much fun to pull to stop doing.[/QUOTE]

I have an itch to get back into the game more seriously (probably in Modern after looking at Legacy, though I'm confused as to how popular this format really is) and rare lands are my biggest impediment, followed by mythic rares. I'm not selling a playset of "timeless" cards like Wasteland to fund Grove of the fucking Burnwillows.

At least the original painlands or City of Brass were reprinted so often their rarity was less of an issue. Hopefully Modern Masters-style releases are done regularly, I don't even mind if sets like that still have to cater to Limited players.

City of Brass and Gemstone Mine should be reprinted in every set at uncommon.

edit:

You guys think my deck can't ramp fast enough without Lotus Cobras? Cheapo alternative Chancellor of the Tangle comes to save the day!

FUCK THE POLICE

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";88909062]Command Tower and Opal Palace should be reprinted in every set at uncommon. And every format should be Commander.[/QUOTE]

FTFY

Finally found the time to sit down and properly do a Theros draft, for the first time in a couple of weeks due to vacation (I did one last night as well to scratch the itch, but I was still jetlagged from flying around the world and it wasn't worth talking about). Tonight's draft was an easy 3-0 with a doozy of a deck:

wRLrWia.png

I hadn't had the opportunity to play with Hundred-Handed One before today, and it was nuts. He singlehandedly owns the board (pun definitely intended), and when he goes monstrous it's almost unfair.

Also, it's insane how good Hopeful Eidolon is. It seriously blows my mind how a card that looked so awful during set review time turned out to be so damn good. It really goes to show how the quality of a card is driven as much by the environment it's in as the raw stats on the card itself. Lifelink is so good in Theros since the removal is really janky, and games often come down to racing and combat tricks. Turning off your opponent's ability to profitably race you is so incredibly powerful.

After a few changes to the Jund Commander 2013 list for my wife, it gets pretty unfair for the other 2013 decks.

Putting an Attrition in the deck just makes you want to scoop.

Lucario

played the jund deck last night, stock... against a bunch of edh decks that weren't precons.

nekuzar player got out Fruitless Fruition(oh god)
I couldn't keep anything on the board the whole game due to wipes, so I kept recurring ramp spells over and over again. Fruitless fruition kept getting recurred, another player had Open the Vaults and stuff.
Someone overloaded cyclonic rift when I finally had board presence again, down to 10-15 cards in the library....

Then I looked at my hand and facepalmed.

EOT I tapped my Kher Keep, so I had one kobold on my board and nothing else.

Played Goblin Sharpshooter
Played Swiftfoot Boots
Equipped the Sharpshooter with the Boots, people got confused but decided to just let it happen.
Played Primal Vigor, Tooth and Claw, aaaand Golgari Guildmage.

Sacced kobold + guildmage to tooth and claw, tapped sharpshooter to ping someone for one, it untapped, got two kitties, sacced them for two more, etc etc.

why is there an infinite combo in a precon

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Hmm yeah that might do. I was worried mono red wouldn't be cheap anymore with all the 1 drops they've been printing at rare recently
I'll end up needing to buy a playset of Blood Crypts at one point in my life anyway right?

Why are Rakdos Cacklers £1 lol

I made up the deck that won the GP (I had everything except the Xathrid Necromancers) and it is very fun to play, on-the-seat-of-your-pants style. You can get turn 4 kills very easily, but if you're not winning by turn 5 you get screwed quick unless you landed a Necromancer to keep the zombies coming.

Best case a game will go:

T1 Cackler/Tormented Hero
T2 Spike Jester, swing for 5
T3 Madcap Skills on Jester or Hero, swing for 8
T4 Drop a Necromancer, swing, 21 damage total.

Speaking of best case, here's an opening hand I got with my Bant Conscription deck today:

Chancellor of the Tangle
Chancellor of the Tangle
Explore
Explore
Land
Land
Land

Turn 1: reveal Chancellors, play two explores, play 3 lands, drew Noble Hierarch + Rafiq of the Many, play Noble Hierarch
Turn 2: drew land, Played Rafiq
Turn 3: Drew Unflinching Courage, played on Rafiq, swung for 14 trample/lifelink

I made up the deck that won the GP (I had everything except the Xathrid Necromancers) and it is very fun to play, on-the-seat-of-your-pants style. You can get turn 4 kills very easily, but if you're not winning by turn 5 you get screwed quick unless you landed a Necromancer to keep the zombies coming.

I played a Rakdos deck pre-rotation and swinging for five on T2 is fun. :)
I actually did want to put Madcap Skills in the deck to put on Ash Zealot. A 5 Power First Striker is pretty tough.

Here's a question about which dual land is better.

Blackcleave Cliffs versus Dragonskull Summit.

The way I look at it, Blackcleave Cliffs is best in the opening hand basically, where as Dragonskull Summit is best later in the game.

Blackcleave seems to be the land of choice. Is this just to ensure an untapped land early in the game? The only situation I see it being bad to have Dragonskull Summit is if you are forced to play it as your first land, basically.

Karakand

Here's a question about which dual land is better.

Blackcleave Cliffs versus Dragonskull Summit.

The way I look at it, Blackcleave Cliffs is best in the opening hand basically, where as Dragonskull Summit is best later in the game.

Blackcleave seems to be the land of choice. Is this just to ensure an untapped land early in the game? The only situation I see it being bad to have Dragonskull Summit is if you are forced to play it as your first land, basically.

In a Constructed format I can't see why you'd surrender the potential for opening tempo advantage provided by Blackcleave Cliffs. It's basically an extra turn (in terms of mana availability) if it's in your opening 9-10 cards.

In a format that runs long, I can see why Dragonskull Summit would be more appealing.

In a Constructed format I can't see why you'd surrender the potential for opening tempo advantage provided by Blackcleave Cliffs. It's basically an extra turn (in terms of mana availability) if it's in your opening 9-10 cards.

In a format that runs long, I can see why Dragonskull Summit would be more appealing.

Thank you for the affirmation on what I was thinking. I had read that Dragonskull Summit was preferred for Commander, which makes sense.

Yeah, in Modern, Blackcleave for sure. Making that play Turn 1, 2, or 3 is critical. In EDH, Dragonskull would be more likely to enter untapped.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
If I played Warrior's Oath, after Final Fortune after Last Chance, I could theoretically take three more turns in a row before losing the game, right?

ultron87

Nah. You would have three turns lined up, but each would have a "lose the game" trigger waiting for you in the end step. I guess you could Stifle or Time Stop the trigger away to keep it going.

Haly

Each extra turn gained by one of those cards carries the "you lose the game" clause somewhere, so no.

Haly

What if I played them in each successive turn?
You wouldn't be able to avoid the lose the game trigger during your extra turns.

If you want to do stupid stuff with those cards:

Isochron Scepter (imprinting any of those) + Platinum Angel.

f0rk

Yeah I bought that one, mostly from some dude in Spain. He shipped today so hopefully they will get here before next Saturday. I've never played a proper aggro deck before.

Nah. You would have three turns lined up, but each would have a "lose the game" trigger waiting for you in the end step. I guess you could Stifle or Time Stop the trigger away to keep it going.

Yeah. I say put two Isochron Scepters into play. One imprinting Final Fortune, the other Stifle. No sweat.

aku:jiki

Random thought... Aren't we way past due for another "un"-set, or has WOTC decided to be boring and never do one again?

I missed both of them and I want to abuse Denimwalk and win because my opponent's name starts with a J or something, damn it.

What else did you change, out of curiosity? I want that deck... I may just wait for the reprinting...

Are you asking which cards did I add, or which cards I took out, or both?

I can tell you I added things like terminate, bloodbraid elf, and some other things from the old jund standard lists because that's what my wife liked to play when she played.

I added Attrition and Diabolic tutor as it just makes sense. Attrition is broken in that deck. Play your commander, tap X black, kill everything.

I put in a Fauna Shaman as it seemed perfect for a deck that can recur the creatures it discarded as well as find pieces of your combo you might want (sack outlet, thraxamunder, etc)

I'd have to look at the original list again to tell you what I took out. Some cards are just absolutely terrible and are a complete waste of a slot. Pretty much every creature enchantment

why is there an infinite combo in a precon

lol the deck is just stupid good with really good synergy out of the box. it doesn't hurt that the commander is good on his own.

I'm turning Mind Seize into a group hug deck. Probably going to purchase a Consecrated Sphinx, Jace Beleren, Mind Over Matter, and a Cryptic Command very soon for it. Sadly, I've had all these cards on more than one occasion.

Can't see me stripping cards out of real decks for this deck. I'm also not a fan of proxies.

Took down the draft at FNM tonight with a UR skies deck. Nothing particularly special, just a lot of solid blue fliers and red beaters, with 2 Lightning Strike, Magma Jet, Voyage's End, and Griptide. Oh yeah, and I splashed white off of a Traveler's Amulet for a Medomai that I opened in pack three. Never drew her.

That promo Grisly Salvage is sweet. Almost makes me wish I actually played constructed in paper. :p

An-Det

Random thought... Aren't we way past due for another "un"-set, or has WOTC decided to be boring and never do one again?

I missed both of them and I want to abuse Denimwalk and win because my opponent's name starts with a J or something, damn it.

I'd love to see it happen, but despite being popular they end up not selling very well since they're not tournament legal (besides the basics, which are favorites).

I remember running and judging the Unhinged release tournament, and simply banned Old Fogey so I wouldn't have to deal with rules on Phasing. That day was a lot of fun though, the reactions to me Ass Whuppin me friends' things was awesome.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

One of the biggest problems is that they do the core set every year instead of every other year now so there's no more room for "experimental" releases that require boosters.

y2dvd

In Standards, I'm still playing Americah control. In my sb, I have both Blind Obedience and Rest in Peace. Blind Obedience to deal mainly with mono-red aggro and Rest in Peace for mono-black. I'm trying to think if Rest in Peace is even necessary since it's very narrow as it's only worried about the Whip of Erebos. Blind Obedience deals with haste, so I guess it would also deal with the Whip. It won't get rid of Chandra's Phoenix though. I can't think of any other graveyard interactive decks Rest in Peace should be worried about.

What do yall think? I'm pretty sure I want to keep Blind Obedience in the sb but should I replace Rest in Peace?

An-Det

One of the biggest problems is that they do the core set every year instead of every other year now so there's no more room for "experimental" releases that require boosters.

I thought that too, that Unhinged released in one of the off years like Coldsnap did, but apparently it released a month and a half after Champions of Kamigawa. They probably dont want to do more than one of those extra sets a year though (like this year's would be Modern Masters).

Top Bottom