• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

OnPoint

My local Target had every deck except Mind Seize. The shelf was packed so it looks like it just never even came. Insanity. Secondary sellers are the devil.

rCIZZLE

I think DRS-based UWBG decks (Deathblade, Shardless) are just awful right now. If I thought they were well positioned/good in the current top meta, I'd be playing one.

Was expecting you to say something like stax or enchantress based on how the conversation was going lol. Maybe my standards for deck viability are low but I feel Deathblade and Shardless are absolutely fine choices for the average pilot.

Found a Mind Seize at my local Target. I'm short on funds but this is a good investment. Can't wait for True-Names to hit $50 if not more.

bigkrev

Took the Jund deck to play our weekly commander game. It actually was pretty decent, with inconsistent mana/slow mana being it's only real issue. That deck just spits out tokens of different shapes and sizes like mad, and gets easy 1-hit kills with the commander. Super fun to play

Took the Jund deck to play our weekly commander game. It actually was pretty decent, with inconsistent mana/slow mana being it's only real issue. That deck just spits out tokens of different shapes and sizes like mad, and gets easy 1-hit kills with the commander. Super fun to play

Is that deck considered the most powerful out of the five?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just had an opponent do altars reap with a young pyromancer out, that's an interaction I never thought of.

I don't think that works- isn't the sacrifice part of the cost?

It is, but if you're playing a pyromancer deck, you're very likely to already have at least 1 token out. If not, it'll be pretty easy to make one.

I used this in my mono B zombies in scars/inn block. Altar's reap on Geralf's Messenger with Blood Artist out was just unfair lolol

Essentially- that people get "locked into" a certain deck and can't actually switch to something good.

The idea that "any" deck in Legacy is viable is a big fat lie.

It's not. As the metagame shifts, certain decks get better and worse as it's all about your matchups. Combo starting getting better because fair decks were rising to the top for a while.

If people are going to be playing Delver variants, miracles gets better. Since it's also a blue deck, it can be tweaked to combat combo decks as well (force, misdirection, spell, pierce, flusterstorm). Their counter/top combo just happens to be good against them as well.

Lossett has been playing miracles for over a year and got 9th on Sunday at SCG LA. Paul Lynch got top 8 at eternal weekend with the same deck.

I've seen 3 of the 5 command decks being played now. I'd say the Jund deck HAS to be the best based on it's commanders and synergy.

Deathbringer Thoctar is an absolute house in that deck.

The Grixis deck is a really a terrible, terrible deck. Requires a TON of card changes to even make it playable. All the commanders don't really fit the strategy of the deck besides the zombie that draws cards. It really doesn't have enough control elements to make any of it work.

Copying cruel ultimatum is definitely fun, but that's about it.

Lucario

I've seen 3 of the 5 command decks being played now. I'd say the Jund deck HAS to be the best based on it's commanders and synergy.

Deathbringer Thoctar is an absolute house in that deck.

The Grixis deck is a really a terrible, terrible deck. Requires a TON of card changes to even make it playable. All the commanders don't really fit the strategy of the deck besides the zombie that draws cards. It really doesn't have enough control elements to make any of it work.

Copying cruel ultimatum is definitely fun, but that's about it.

it's a wonderful deck in that you can sell the baleful strix and true-name nemesis for $30, then dig through the dollar bin for synergistic jank rares

it's a wonderful deck in that you can sell the baleful strix and true-name nemesis for $30, then dig through the dollar bin for synergistic jank rares

the strix is actually one of the best cards in the deck. not because of the worth, but you'll be dying a lot and he'll trade with the best card.

i have no idea why they don't have a howling mine in that deck (grixis). it's a little unforgivable

I want two Commander decks for use at home and I think I'll get the Mind Sieze and the Jund deck. If I get a third I am not sure which.

I'd pick up the one with either toxic deluge or unexpectedly absent

i think i'm going to pick up a second mind seize and the other one with that white card.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";88803126]Think it's a good idea to sideboard Beckon Apparition to counter reanimator decks? Or is there a better card?[/QUOTE]

People are still playing reanimator?

Well, THAT SUCKS. I still like Reanimator the best ^_^

Speaking of DRS, I think I'm gonna take my shitty milling standard deck to SCG Oakland next month, never been to a real MTG tournament :-o

4 Thoughtseize
4 Deathrite Shaman

4 Dimir Charm
4 Far // Away

4 Nightveil Specter
3 Crypt Incursion
2 Undercity Connections

4 Desecration Demon

3 Consuming Abberation
2 Jace, Memory Adept
2 Traumatize

4 Watery Grave
4 Temple of Deceit
2 Rogue's Passage
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
6 Swamps
6 Islands

Sideboard:

2 Pithing Needle
2 Ratchet Bomb
4 Lifebane Zombie
2 Whispering Madness
1 Swamp
1 Island
2 Devour Flesh
1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

Basically gameplan is survive to five mana ramping with DRS and Nykthos and fixing with Specter. If I fight a non-black(especially green) deck I'll sub the specters and connections for zombies and whispering madness and drop the nykthos.

y2dvd

Drafted G/W. It was probably the weakest color combination I've drafted yet. Green is just not interactive at all.

Lost to an Elspeth and it got me thinking, have there been a card that just kills PW? I don't mean rares like Hero's Downfall or Dreadbore that targets multiple things, but something uncommon to common that target specific spells like Ray of Revelation, Naturalize, Doomblade, etc.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Green is ramp and buffing and fatties. It's a primary color which your secondary color (blue, or black, or red or even white) is meant to support with "interaction".

Yeef

Drafted G/W. It was probably the weakest color combination I've drafted yet. Green is just not interactive at all.

Lost to an Elspeth and it got me thinking, have there been a card that just kills PW? I don't mean rares like Hero's Downfall or Dreadbore that targets multiple things, but something uncommon to common that target specific spells like Ray of Revelation, Naturalize, Doomblade, etc.
Nope. The closest you're going to get is burn and things like Vampire Hexmage, Despise and Bramblecrush.

ultron87

They generally don't want to put the word Planeswalker on uncommons and especially not commons because random "just bought my first few packs" Joe would see that word and almost certainly not have a Planeswalker and be like "what the heck is that?" On a rare it is more okay because those can more freely be complicated and mysterious.

OnPoint

They generally don't want to put the word Planeswalker on uncommons and especially not commons because random "just bought my first few packs" Joe would see that word and almost certainly not have a Planeswalker and be like "what the heck is that?" On a rare it is more okay because those can more freely be complicated and mysterious.

Which is the absolute DUMBEST line of reasoning I've heard from them in a while.

More to the point, you just don't want to print something in common and uncommon that has next to no utility in limited.
Vampire Hexmage and Thrull Parasite make a lot of sense since they have multiple uses.

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";88841410]More to the point, you just don't want to print something in common and uncommon that has next to no utility in limited.[/QUOTE]

Also that. It'd do effectively nothing in Limited but could be quite warping to Constructed.

I think it'll be awhile before we see a dedicated Planeswalker-zapper (outside of Vampire Hexmage). Part of what differentiates Planeswalkers from other permanent types are the nature of spells that deal with them. If you print too many Naturalize-type of effects for Planeswalkers they become more like glorified enchantments.

Obviously some form of removal will exist for balance sake, but it's going to be stuff like Dreadbore, Oblivion Ring, or Pithing Needle.

Also that. It'd do effectively nothing in Limited but could be quite warping to Constructed.

I doubt it. If you print one card that fills a niche(Downfall), every constructed player will use it regardless of the price. I doubt they'd print something better than Dreadbore at common or uncommon anyway.

If they really wanted to lower the price of entry for new constructed players with something they could stick in every booster, they'd reprint mana-fixing uncommons like the fetchlands. The problem is that wizards have built up way too much excitement about rare lands that everybody needs to be putting in their deck. They're too much fun to pull to stop doing.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";88844180]I doubt it. If you print one card that fills a niche(Downfall), every constructed player will use it regardless of the price. I doubt they'd print something better than Dreadbore at common or uncommon anyway.

If they really wanted to lower the price of entry for new constructed players with something they could stick in every booster, they'd reprint mana-fixing uncommons like the fetchlands. The problem is that wizards have built up way too much excitement about rare lands that everybody needs to be putting in their deck. They're too much fun to pull to stop doing.[/QUOTE]
Lands at rare always feel like a wasted slot to me unless they do something unique

y2dvd

I think a really expensive uncommon PW removal would make sense for limited play. The cost would be too high and its target too narrow to be viable for constructed, and it would only hit PW's, which currently doesn't have an answer (in limited) asides from Hero's Downfall, so it would be limited to exactly that, limited play lol. Every other card type at least have multiple ways to deal with it but PWs only has 1 in the current rotation. I just don't like the idea of 1 card type completely taking over a format.

I think a really expensive uncommon PW removal would make sense for limited play. The cost would be too high and its target too narrow to be viable for constructed, and it would only hit PW's, which currently doesn't have an answer (in limited) asides from Hero's Downfall, so it would be limited to exactly that, limited play lol. Every other card type at least have multiple ways to deal with it but PWs only has 1 in the current rotation. I just don't like the idea of 1 card type completely taking over a format.

How much the planeswalker-killer costs is completely irrelevant. The problem is printing a card that'll show up multiple times per draft that only beats a card you'll almost never see.

Counters
Direct Damage
Creatures that remove counters
unblockable creatures

Are all much, much better choices for printing cards to deal with Planeswalker at common/uncommon.

Lands at rare always feel like a wasted slot to me unless they do something unique
They absolutely are, for game balance. But player enjoyment is a legitimate issue as well and people LOVE pulling shocklands. Easy way to draw people in and get excited. I mean, guildgates make a ton of sense for draft but are super boring.

Uncommon overcosted PW hate sounds terrible. You aren't even guaranteed to find a PW in any given pool, so flooding the pool with 4 copies of a useless card sounds like a lose lose lose situation.

Hell, last time I drafted I played a guy who had a Xenagos and I just held off on Dissolves until he played it.

I don't know how you could think Downfall is the only answer in limited. I mean, it's a rare!

Top Bottom