• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

ultron87

I'd enjoy a new Un-set because the humor and in-jokes are generally pretty good, and I imagine a pre-release type thing for it would be a hoot, but I don't think I'd buy any of it following that.

Chojin

I'd totally be down for an Un-Set but I feel I won't get to enjoy it as much as I've gone 100 percent digital now. I can't imagine all kinds of weird updating to the engine they'd need to do to simulate wacky "un-" rules for a small set. So I doubt we'd get to join in on the fun.

At least I could read the spoiler and have a good chuckle :)

Let's just say all the full art lands are nice.

I was extremely happy to see Zendikar full art lands are up to around a buck a piece on ebay.

I'm not going to go into how many I have, but I'll be sitting on them forever

ultron87

I really love my Zendikar lands. I really love the way they made that world look.

Also they're super useful for trading. Because they function as dollar bills.

Are you asking which cards did I add, or which cards I took out, or both?

I can tell you I added things like terminate, bloodbraid elf, and some other things from the old jund standard lists because that's what my wife liked to play when she played.

I added Attrition and Diabolic tutor as it just makes sense. Attrition is broken in that deck. Play your commander, tap X black, kill everything.

I put in a Fauna Shaman as it seemed perfect for a deck that can recur the creatures it discarded as well as find pieces of your combo you might want (sack outlet, thraxamunder, etc)

I'd have to look at the original list again to tell you what I took out. Some cards are just absolutely terrible and are a complete waste of a slot. Pretty much every creature enchantment

lol the deck is just stupid good with really good synergy out of the box. it doesn't hurt that the commander is good on his own.

I'm turning Mind Seize into a group hug deck. Probably going to purchase a Consecrated Sphinx, Jace Beleren, Mind Over Matter, and a Cryptic Command very soon for it. Sadly, I've had all these cards on more than one occasion.

Can't see me stripping cards out of real decks for this deck. I'm also not a fan of proxies.

Great, thank you. I wouldn't mind knowing what cards that you took out, but please don't go to any trouble to type up the list or anything. If you want to though, I'd be interested.

Random thought... Aren't we way past due for another "un"-set, or has WOTC decided to be boring and never do one again?

I missed both of them and I want to abuse Denimwalk and win because my opponent's name starts with a J or something, damn it.

Mark Rosewater talks about the "un" sets quite a bit on his blog actually, and I believe he has hinted we'll get another one.

Great, thank you. I wouldn't mind knowing what cards that you took out, but please don't go to any trouble to type up the list or anything. If you want to though, I'd be interested.

if you could link me to the original list with pictures i could tell you pretty quickly. i had a big hiatus for about 6 years + so the cards in those sets i wouldn't know without reading them, if that makes sense.

lol i got another hour and 10 to kill at work so i'll do it now

what i took out :

Brooding Saurian
Capricious Efreet
Fell Shepherd (he's actually fine but i wanted something more out of 7 mana)
Golgari Guildmage
Hooded Horror
Hunted Troll
Jade Mage
Quagmire Druid
Silklash spider
Stalking Vengence stays in, but that's because my evasive manuevers deck has a BUTT LOAD of board wipes
Terra Ravager. He's fine, but he's just good at attacking and this deck really doesn't need the combat step much unless you're crashing with your commander (OUT)
Walker of the Grove
She kept Wight of Precint Six in, but i don't like him
Blood Rites (it's slow for me, but it's fine if you like this as a sac outlet)
Take out all 4 curses. burn them
Mass Mutiny, but it's quite good in the deck in a multiplayer game as you get to steal, attack, then sac it. not ideal in a 1v 1 game so its out
Night Soil
Reincarnation should be out
Spine of Ish Sah
Tooth and Claw. It is fine stock, but there are better sac outlets we use
Widespread Panic
Vile Requiem

any of the cards i have text next to that you disagree with, keep them. i gave my explanation for cutting them. some of the cards are "fine" but i don't think they mesh well with the strategy
in this deck. it seems like it's almost always correct to cast your commander (prosh). he's just that good

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";89031568]Do you guys do trades/want lists? I don't really have anything valuable except 4 Noble Hierarchs and a busted Land Tax, though.[/QUOTE]

I want dumb commander stuff now

I have a crazy Howling Mine's deck that Venser's Journal is great in. :D

that's pretty much what I've done with Mind Seize. Took out all the awful cards. Just trying to make it more cohesive

still need to get

Consecrated Sphinx
Jace Beleren
howling mine
some kamagawa land that makes everyone draw
Howling mine
kozilek butcher
Ulamog

This works too. :)
I also have this in the deck.

136.jpg

i thought i was going to have to buy 1

i randomly had 2 in a binder. go figure.

there's one from acacyn restored or some set I thought i'd have, but i dont. you tap to put counters on it or tap it so everyone draws a card for each counter on it

I have other cards that I need to add to the tradelist but they are assembled into decks at the moment.
I need to go through them. What I have listed is just what I had in my "rares box".
I really need to get a binder.

aku:jiki

I'd enjoy a new Un-set because the humor and in-jokes are generally pretty good, and I imagine a pre-release type thing for it would be a hoot, but I don't think I'd buy any of it following that.
That's pretty much what I mean. Make it a limited set like Modern Masters that's only available for a month or two. We can have us a bunch of drafts, have some laughs and get some sweet new lands out of it. Sounds great to me!

I really love my Zendikar lands. I really love the way they made that world look.
Would've loved to see Ravnica full-art lands. My favorite plane, visually, with Zendikar in second place.

Heyy! This was going to be my next question... I need something to keep track of my collection and I was looking to replace Magic Album. This looks great, thanks!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";89145172]Wow, that's awesome.

Also, I think milling/control might have a place in the current metagame for standard. All that scrying to ruin.[/QUOTE]

Remember it's your choice of the order to put onto the stack, not order of resolving so don't confuse the two

Hmm... if I sell all 4 Noble Hierarchs I can just about finish my milling deck. But then my modern deck is super garbage. Noble Hierarchs aren't gonna decrease in value any time soon, but I'm also probably not gonna buy the cards to make the deck competitive anyway...

Too many decisions. If I do sell the Hierarchs I can compete at SCG Oakland in standard.

Remember it's your choice of the order to put onto the stack, not order of resolving so don't confuse the two

Technically doesn't the cipher have to resolve?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";89158225]Hmm... if I sell all 4 Noble Hierarchs I can just about finish my milling deck. But then my modern deck is super garbage. Noble Hierarchs aren't gonna decrease in value any time soon, but I'm also probably not gonna buy the cards to make the deck competitive anyway...

Too many decisions. If I do sell the Hierarchs I can compete at SCG Oakland in standard.

Technically doesn't the cipher have to resolve?[/QUOTE]

Cipher is the same as the other abilities. They all trigger off damaging the other player.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";89158225]Hmm... if I sell all 4 Noble Hierarchs I can just about finish my milling deck. But then my modern deck is super garbage. Noble Hierarchs aren't gonna decrease in value any time soon, but I'm also probably not gonna buy the cards to make the deck competitive anyway...

Too many decisions. If I do sell the Hierarchs I can compete at SCG Oakland in standard.[/QUOTE]

Is there anyone that could loan you the cards you need?
I'd hate to sell cards that are proven good in Modern for the sake of buying into Standard when those cards won't likely be worth as much post-rotation.

Karakand

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";89144215]What order do these cards resolve in if I hit somebody?

Im55dkz.jpg
sVIDrgy.jpg
htDsfaZ.jpg
[/QUOTE]

You put them on the stack in the order you want since they all trigger after combat damage is dealt, but thanks to APNAP your opponent has the opportunity to resolve actions on the stack before them.

I think.

kirblar

Technically doesn't the cipher have to resolve?[/QUOTE]
Don't get rid of Hierarch until after next Modern season. It's a near-lock for Modern Masters 2.

And yes, you pick the order. Make sure to resolve the Windfall ability first.

You put them on the stack in the order you want since they all trigger after combat damage is dealt, but thanks to APNAP your opponent has the opportunity to resolve actions on the stack before them.

I think.

That's how the stack works. Your opponent always gets a chance to respond to your actions

I have a single of each, Marsh Flats and Verdant Catacombs, that I'd like to trade.

I'm looking for:
2x Chandra, Pyromaster
2-4x Inqusition of Kozilek
1x Thundermaw Hellkite
1x Ajani Vengeant

If you have any of that and are willing to trade, please let me know. Thanks

OnPoint

I have a single of each, Marsh Flats and Verdant Catacombs, that I'd like to trade.

I'm looking for:
2x Chandra, Pyromaster
1x Thundermaw Hellkite
1x Ajani Vengeant

Yup. I'll PM you.

kirblar

I'm looking for:
2x Chandra, Pyromaster
1x Thundermaw Hellkite
1x Ajani Vengeant

Jund for Modern Season? :)

OnPoint

Picked up an Unlimited Sinkhole tonight for 25. I have never seen a card from that set in such pristine condition. It's in unbelievable shape.

Today has been one of those days that reminds you just how much variance there really is in draft. Four straight misses at the finals, all with pretty good decks. I desperately want to jump back in; I don't feel like I'm on tilt, but I do feel desperate to win, and I don't think that's the right frame of mind to be in when it comes time to throw more money at the system.

Never be afraid to step away from the table, folks.

My friend has some cards with a little bit of value, is anyone here interested in trading/buying them by chance?

All Hallow's Eve
Plateau (dual land) I think from Unlimited
Land Tax, I think from Unlimited

He also had some artifact lands (worth a buck or two I think), a few Dark Rituals, 3x Living End, Urza's Tower, Urza's Powerplant, Gemstone Mine, some other Gemstone land I think...

and that may be it off the top of my head. We spent a good couple of hours just thumbing through his cards and I am not the best at evaluating older cards, but the experience I have picked up the last few months helped me pick out these few.

I know that he's looking for a play set of Eldrazi Conscription, some of the Leyline cards, and some dual lands. However I'm sure he'd be interested in other things.

Top Bottom