• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Grecco

Welp it seems that PR wont get another PT or a Grand Prix anytime soon so I gotta think about making a stanrdard deck for the Pro Tour ATL qualifier.

As someone who has had the quadruple Grey Merchant deck, I shouldn't complain, but damn does it suck to lose a match when your opponent plays multiples of them each game!

The Adder

Banned
Anyone in Seattle and looking to get their hands on an Elspeth, two heroes downfalls, a thoughtseize, two Obzedats, Erebos, or a Master of Waves?

Thinking I'm done with this game.

The Adder

Banned
What happened?

Meh, nothing major. I've gone 4 weeks straight losing the majority of my games through mana screw in a 24 land deck, which is mathematically improbable. I literally played 4 games straight without getting above 3 land one week. I get that it's just a bad run, but IDK, I don't care about losing, but I don't like not even being able to actually play. It's only frustrating at this point, so I'm spending ~$42 pre-tax monthly, plus what I pay for packs, to play something that is frustrating me instead of being fun to me.

The money I save and the money I get from selling off my value cards can go to getting me a Wii U and some games. Only been playing for a bit over a year now, so I'm not abandoning a big piece of myself.

Meh, nothing major. I've gone 4 weeks straight losing the majority of my games through mana screw in a 24 land deck, which is mathematically improbable. I literally played 4 games straight without getting above 3 land one week. I get that it's just a bad run, but IDK, I don't care about losing, but I don't like not even being able to actually play. It's only frustrating at this point, so I'm spending ~$42 pre-tax monthly, plus what I pay for packs, to play something that is frustrating me instead of being fun to me.

The money I save and the money I get from selling off my value cards can go to getting me a Wii U and some games. Only been playing for a bit over a year now, so I'm not abandoning a big piece of myself.

This game is mostly chance. Don't feel bad.

y2dvd

I can't blame you. Don't force yourself into something that's not fun. If I get mana boned, I just have to tell myself that's how the dice rolls sometimes and accept its a part of card games. I can probably say that more easily because I've been playing with store credit in forever but if I was spending lots of money per month ad the same thing was happening, I may have quit too.

Luckily, I just enjoy drafting.

Karakand

Adder, tonight I opened a pack of Dragon's Maze that had not one, not two, but THREE Cluestones in it.
At least they were for 3 different guilds.

I've opened packs of Fallen Empires, The Dark, and Mercadian Masques that weren't that bad.

Yeef

As someone who has had the quadruple Grey Merchant deck, I shouldn't complain, but damn does it suck to lose a match when your opponent plays multiples of them each game!
I did a 2HG sealed last night and it's so much worse. Round 3 we had our opponents down to 9 and were sitting pretty at 29. Then Gray Merchant for 8, followed by gray merchant for 12 the following turn, followed by another one the following turn.

OnPoint

Adder, tonight I opened a pack of Dragon's Maze that had not one, not two, but THREE Cluestones in it.
At least they were for 3 different guilds.

I've opened packs of Fallen Empires, The Dark, and Mercadian Masques that weren't that bad.

Lies.

lol

Wichu

I did a three-player mini-draft with my Dragon's Maze fat pack a couple of weeks ago. My first pack had the rare slot and all three uncommon slots occupied by split cards :p

I first-picked every guildgate I saw, and then picked gatekeepers when those ran out. Turns out 8 guildgates and 9 gatekeepers makes a pretty strong draft deck. I had some split card + Blast of Genius action too - Blast of Genius for 9? Don't see why not!

Wynnebeck

Banned
Went 1-4 last night with my Esper control deck after getting mana screwed multple times. Nothing worse then getting good cards and not having mana to play them.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
My local LGS is having a special tournament next month. Its going to something similar to Peasant standard: 8 uncommons are allowed, and 3 rares, each of them being 1-ofs. No mythics allowed. I was thinking about working on my Rakdos aggro deck to make it work, but there are just too many uncommons for it to work. So I think the best strategy to go would be Slivers + burn/Pacifism/Madcap Skills. Would that be the best way to go?

Does anyone happen to have Dark Confidants or Tarmogoyf for sale?

I need:
3x Dark Confidant (Ravnica)
4x Tarmogoyf (Modern Masters)

I don't have the cash at the moment, but I expect to fairly soon.

rCIZZLE

Any PA/NJ/NY legacy brahs planning on going to the "40 duals" tournament on 12/7 near Allentown? As long as the weather isn't stupid then I should be there with a few friends.

Yeef

Can someone explain how the plansewalkers work exactly? Their abilities and how dealing damage to them works?

Image.ashx

Planeswalkers come out with loyalty counters on them equal to the number in the lower right.

Once per turn you can use one of their loyalty abilities at sorcery speed.

{+1}: means add 1 loyalty counter as a cost to use the ability.
{-1}: means remove 1 loyalty counter as a cost to use the ability.

When a player deals noncombat damage to an opponent, he can choose to, instead, redirect that damage to a planeswalker his opponent controls.

When creatures attack, individually, they're declared as attacking either a player or a specific planeswalker. Blocking works as normal. If a creature deals damage to a planeswalker, it loses tha tmany loyalty counters.

When a planeswalker has no loyalty counters, it goes to the graveyard.

https://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=magic/rules/planeswalkers

Grecco

Oh I see so if its a creature you pick either player or planeswalker as targets

but if its something like tap to deal 1 damage to target creature or player I can tap to deal to player and redirect it to planeswalker? that's what I was confused about.

Oh I see so if its a creature you pick either player or planeswalker as targets

but if its something like tap to deal 1 damage to target creature or player I can tap to deal to player and redirect it to planeswalker? that's what I was confused about.

I remember my first encounters against Planeswalkers and not being entirely clear on the rules, I would declare attackers but not specify if it was against the player or the PW.
But it does indeed need to be declared who they are attacking.

ultron87

Yeah, that is how it works. So when you use the spell or ability you target the player when you put it on the stack, and on resolution you decide to deal damage to the Planeswalker instead. 99 percent of the time you can just say "bolt Jace" and it works, but it can matter if the player has protection or hexproof.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Very interesting video series on opening your own game store.
He has a lot of videos in the series and answers some helpful and insightful questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BEhoyA4ZLk&list

All of the game shops in my city are extremely popular places to play a variety of TCGs, mostly Magic, but YuGioh and Pokemon have monthly (weekly?) tournaments, as well.

It seems to reason if you keep your pricing comparable to online stores for your singletons, and sell the usual packs, fat packs, decks and boxes, you could turn a profit just off of tournament buy-ins, card purchases and extras like snacks and drinks.

Is there some deeper joke to the "Keep calm and Liliana of the Veil" thing? I've seen the "Keep calm" meme, but I can't figure out if the "Liliana of the Veil" part is supposed to be a substitute for something else specific.

I

Edit: A planeswalker IS a player. But you have to choose your target from the start when you tap the creature.

No it's not. People need to stop explaining it to players like they are in an effort to explain the redirection rules. I know it's technical and difficult to explain clearly, but stop.

Crocodile

Normally, heads might roll for a card like that, but the head that made the card isn't at WotC anymore, lol.

Can the design of TNN be traced to one particular individual? Like are you putting the blame on Billy Moreno because he was the lead Developer for Commander 2013?

kirblar

Can the design of TNN be traced to one particular individual? Like are you putting the blame on Billy Moreno because he was the lead Developer for Commander 2013?
The designers weren't to blame for this one. The card DOES do what they envisioned in multiplayer play. It would have been fine at 4-5 mana w/ similar stats.

The development team decided to make this one of the "pushed" Legacy cards. As head Developer of the set, Moreno would have final say. And they give lead devs a lot of leeway - but you also are responsible for any JTMS/Goyf type errors.

OnPoint

It's like Mental Misstep.

All it does is homogenize deck construction in an incredibly screwed up way.
But does it? There are lots of answers. Golgari charm, Infest, edicts, counterspells, sweepers. I'd love to see cards like Humility make a comeback due to things like this.

kirblar

But does it? There are lots of answers. Golgari charm, Infest, edicts, counterspells, sweepers. I'd love to see cards like Humility make a comeback due to things like this.
The answers are narrow and don't fundamentally answer the problem. Edicts are answered with a SFM getting sacrficied. C-spell get answered by Cavern. Golgari Charm can be countered and doesn't deal with an equipped one. Sweepers are the only decent answer and as we saw with Stalker/Geist, that's not a good look.

OnPoint

We know from experience that doesn't work. We already have FoW/Wraths, its hard to get much "better" than those.
People could... Play Fog?

Lol I don't know. I'm of the mind set that creature creep is already a big problem. This is just the pinnacle of the issue thus far.

I guess upping the mana count would have been the only logical thing to balance him out better.

Making him Legendary, as to not have multiples in play, would just make him see Commander duty I guess.

Top Bottom