• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

I guess upping the mana count would have been the only logical thing to balance him out better.

Making him Legendary, as to not have multiples in play, would just make him see Commander duty I guess.
As a 4cc+ critter it'd be fine - way too expensive for Legacy.

This is an example of "why you make some cards bad", btw.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
No it's not. People need to stop explaining it to players like they are in an effort to explain the redirection rules. I know it's technical and difficult to explain clearly, but stop.

You're absolutely right. It's merely another permanent.

I'll refrain from using such an antiquated explanation in the future when discussing Magic rules with beginners.

bigkrev

Just watched a turn 2 Pack Rat win the game all by itself in the top8 of the GP on stream. Opponent conceded when Owen went to cast his second spell of the game!

bigkrev

And Alex "2 Explores" Bertoncini is back from his ban, and has top 8'd the Legacy open. Not sure if I like that he is back, and am shocked at the fact he would be willing to play in a SCG event after what they did to him.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So Alternate Win Condition week with my friends results in this
m5F3am7.png

MjFrancis

True Name Nemesis is just ridiculous. If I were more self-righteous I would have burned my copies instead of flipping them. It will be banned or restricted in due time anyways.

What I find most distasteful is that the card negates player interaction - which kind of seems to be the purpose of the game.

kirblar

True Name Nemesis is just ridiculous. If I were more self-righteous I would have burned my copies instead of flipping them. It will be banned or restricted in due time anyways.

What I find most distasteful is that the card negates player interaction - which kind of seems to be the purpose of the game.
The card, as designed, is fine. (in MTG design stage 1)

It's just not costed appropriately. (mtg design stage 2: development.)

Hero

Any PA/NJ/NY legacy brahs planning on going to the "40 duals" tournament on 12/7 near Allentown? As long as the weather isn't stupid then I should be there with a few friends.

I might be, the store that is running it (The Encounter) is my LGS. Really good shop.

And yes, True-Name Nemesis was a mistake. It needed to be 2UU or UUU, maybe. The dumb thing is that it's a 3/1 as well. 2/1 and we might not be having this same issue.

Oh, forgot it's also in a relevant tribe.

Hex

Banned
They're going to have to bite the bullet and ban the thing. Question is how long it'll take for them to be willing to eat it.

They better not before I trade off my two sealed Mind Seize that I picked up.
I have my one for EDH, these were bonus.

y2dvd

So mono black/blue decks are dominating standards for awhile now. Esper is losing out, which I'm surprised about because I thought it had what it takes to handle those decks, with it maybe having a dead Doomblade in game 1 vs mono black.

kirblar

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

They'd ban show and tell before it
This is much more bannable than SnT. It's going to demolish deck diversity among blue-based aggro.
So mono black/blue decks are dominating standards for awhile now. Esper is losing out, which I'm surprised about because I thought it had what it takes to handle those decks, with it maybe having a dead Doomblade in game 1 vs mono black.
Been saying Esper is a bad deck for months now. :p

You could say it's easier to ban, but I don't think it's as necessary.

TNN is fairly underwhelming without all the equipment, which pretty much means you have to play white with him.

SnT is the most degenerate thing in the format.

kirblar

how so?

where you think everyone is running 4x TNN? no interaction between players?

even with TNN, what's the fastest you think you can kill someone with a TNN deck?
Yes, it just becomes "how fast can you race with TNN" in aggro mirrors. Even in DnT vs TNN it's a race. It's completely stupid.

red13th

How do you even print an answer to TNN since you can't really do much against it without affecting the whole board or trying to get it sacked in an edict.

rCIZZLE

There could be a positive to come out of TNN in the form of either new decks being created or low tier/forgotten decks becoming relevant again. It's just too early to completely write off the card as being too damaging to the format.

I think it's possible for the card to be a problem, but I don't see it anywhere close to that point yet.

If it continues to get "bigger" i can imagine cards like phantasmal image being better

OnPoint

There could be a positive to come out of TNN in the form of either new decks being created or low tier/forgotten decks becoming relevant again. It's just too early to completely write off the card as being too damaging to the format.
This is what I'm hoping for with Humility :)

Though Phantasmal Image is an insanely decent answer.

This is what I'm hoping for with Humility :)

Though Phantasmal Image is an insanely decent answer.

I wouldn't think of it so much as an answer...

but you would think in a TNN mirror, going up to 6 would be huge. If you were both on UWR delver, it's not like copying a stoneforge is bad either

Karakand

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

They'd ban show and tell before it

Can't say I like Brainstorm myself.

How do you even print an answer to TNN since you can't really do much against it without affecting the whole board or trying to get it sacked in an edict.

You could do a kind of targeted edict. "As you cast CARDNAME name a nonland creature permanent, each player sacrifices all cards in play with that name."

It is finally Circle of Protection: Blue's time to shine.

:jnc

red13th

Those would probably cost far more than TNN since, well, they answer basically every other creature you can think of. It'd still incur a tempo loss. And there's FoW too. Ironically, extra TNNs can be pitched for FoW, so if you don't overextend to avoid a 2-for-1 you also have a blue card to pitch! So they aren't reliable answers either unless they are uncounterable.
lol that card is a goddamn mess.

G.ZZZ

That card is just terrible design and the proof that modern MTG design is getting shittier and shittier.

Our player want to interact, so we removed land destruction and nerfed counterspells. Ok dude, but now you removed a way to possibly interact with your opponent, via mana denial and spell removal. IT WAS UNFUN! Ok.

You know what's fun? Attacking with creatures. Big creatures. But big creatures can be removed, and we don't want that (didn't we want our player to interact and as such you nerfed ld and counters? ok dude), so we print creatures with hexproof that our opponent can't remove, and in some case he can't even block.

At the end of this downward spiral sit TNN, where the game is decided by who start first, and draw more TNN, unless you're playing combo, and in any case you're forced to play blue because blue has TNN AND the best answers to combo.

That card is just a shitty design. A card that just completely avoid every single kind of interaction by design can't be a good thing for this game really. We want our games to be more interactive nor less. Else i'd play solitaire.

Karakand

Those would probably cost far more than TNN since, well, they answer basically every other creature you can think of. It'd still incur a tempo loss. And there's FoW too. Ironically, extra TNNs can be pitched for FoW, so if you don't overextend to avoid a 2-for-1 you also have a blue card to pitch! So they aren't reliable answers either unless they are uncounterable.
lol that card is a goddamn mess.

Since this is a card that will never be made, sure, why not make it uncounterable! A converted mana cost no higher than 3 too.
As an additional cost to play CARDNAME, pay 2 life.
ALL TRUE-NAME NEMESISES MUST GO, THIS SUNDAY ONLY.

That card is just terrible design and the proof that modern MTG design is getting shittier and shittier.

Our player want to interact, so we removed land destruction and nerfed counterspells. Ok dude, but now you removed a way to possibly interact with your opponent, via mana denial and spell removal. IT WAS UNFUN! Ok.

You know what's fun? Attacking with creatures. Big creatures. But big creatures can be removed, and we don't want that (didn't we want our player to interact and as such you nerfed ld and counters? ok dude), so we print creatures with hexproof that our opponent can't remove, and in some case he can't even block.

At the end of this downward spiral sit TNN, where the game is decided by who start first, and draw more TNN, unless you're playing combo, and in any case you're forced to play blue because blue has TNN AND the best answers to combo.

That card is just a shitty design. A card that just completely avoid every single kind of interaction by design can't be a good thing for this game really. We want our games to be more interactive nor less. Else i'd play solitaire.

#rememberwhen shadow was evil incarnate?

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/rb51

Don't forget that it was printed in Commander. It's actually a really interesting design for a multiplayer setting, and not at all overpowered there. It's also not so obviously broken that it would need to be pre-banned in Legacy. The right thing to do is let it loose, see what happens, and ban if necessary, which is what they're doing.

Karakand

Shadow's still awful. :p

Not awful enough to never bring back though. :twisted:

(Did Randy have to write about that? He was still at Wizzos when Time Spiral dropped. I never got a "we're full of shit" when Kamigawa Block came out after mtg.com extolled the virtues of not using real world flavor for years and I'm still miffed about that.)

Grecco

I miss Armageddon :(

I don't get most of your argument, especially in regards to blue being the best to answer combo decks. I assume you're talking about just countering combo pieces, which could easily be said about TNN.

I'm not sure how you can say TNN is the epitome of a downward spiral given the fact that it just really started seeing considerable play and hardly any decks have adapted to it being played so heavily.

Decks like mono black pox just seem to get better in comparison as they never have to target your creatures anyway.

OnPoint

Honestly, this is probably one of the best answers to TNN and it was printed in the same set.

Image.ashx

Legacy cost? Three mana, pay one life (in this situation). Seems on curve to me. Check.

Kills TNN but is also useful against other cards? Check.

I'm torn on TNN. On one hand, it's degenerate. But it's not so degenerate that warps the meta. I don't think the time to ban it has come just yet. I just think the metagame has to shift to account for it. If it gets to be too big a problem they'll take care of it, but the card pool is too diverse for players to not find a proper answer. Even Jace, the unofficial tenth member of the Power Nine is playable and fair in Legacy. Remember Grisselbrand getting a bad wrap when he first landed? Now he sees play in two decks. Two good decks (well, Reanimator is debatably good), but not two unbeatable decks. I feel like people will adjust.

kirblar

"If you're playing creatures and not playing True-Name Nemesis and Stoneforge Mystic, you are going to lose to the decks that are."

From Ari's article today.

I did say yesterday that TNN is pretty poop unless you play white with him..

and is another reason why i recommended phantasmal image. it's like taking it back to old standard.

i plan on play 3 TNN, 1 SB, and 2 Images in the board as well as a Man-riku Gusari (sp?)

seems like a good plan against the mirror

Top Bottom