• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Hex

Banned
Just throwing this out there since gamers sometimes have mixed interest.
If anyone has any Warhammer 40k stuff they do not use anymore I have two sealed Mind Seize decks I am looking to trade for 40k stuff I can use.
(Yes I went from one crack to another.)
I picked up a 4 set of the decks with a flash of thinking of getting back in and but then remembered very quickly that this is a bad thing, so kept one for EDH and traded one already sp I have two left sealed.

Today I received the Commander deck that I had won.

Eternal Bargain is in the house! Now I want to pick up Power Hungry or whatever it is called, if I can find it so I can play two player Commander.

I won the deck through a contest put on by David Leavitt, who is a writer for Examiner.com

I also follow him on Facebook and he is great about posting Magic The Gathering news and information. Great guy, and I'm not just saying that because I won his contest. ;)

http://www.examiner.com/article/win-a-commander-2013-edition-deck-our-magic-the-gathering-giveaway

kirblar

Today I received the Commander deck that I had won.

Eternal Bargain is in the house! Now I want to pick up Power Hungry or whatever it is called, if I can find it so I can play two player Commander.

I won the deck through a contest put on by David Leavitt, who is a writer for Examiner.com

I also follow him on Facebook and he is great about posting Magic The Gathering news and information. Great guy, and I'm not just saying that because I won his contest. ;)

http://www.examiner.com/article/win-a-commander-2013-edition-deck-our-magic-the-gathering-giveaway
lol I think he's following me.

Wow, so many posts... sorry.

I think that Wizards only does one supplemental set per year, is that correct?

If that's the case, what do you think will show up next year? Another Planechase?

kirblar

Wow, so many posts... sorry.

I think that Wizards only does one supplemental set per year, is that correct?

If that's the case, what do you think will show up next year? Another Planechase?
They're up to two now.

Planechase/MM appear to be alternating in the summer, Commander in the fall.

They're up to two now.

Planechase/MM appear to be alternating in the summer, Commander in the fall.

Cool. I guess that lets me purchase Dark Confidant and 'Goyf without worrying about another reprinting too soon.

All of these sets are basically printing money for them, it seems.

So maybe no Planechase then.

I ran to Target and picked up a Power Hungry Commander deck.
Then went to pick up some sleeves and didn't realize until I got home that they were smaller than magic card format. I think they are for Yugioh or something...

Also noticed that they had new Elspeth priced at $35. lulz

This card is cool.

Image.ashx

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It has suicidal tendencies because it procreates by dying?

Yeef

All colors get death triggers. Mechanically it's Jund. It's meant to be a devour enabler. Other than the part where the tokens are green, it'd work fine in any of those colors as a monocolored card.

aku:jiki

Aw, magiccardmarket made a great addition yesterday, and took it away today! Yesterday, it would list the seller's listed shipping cost right next to the item price. Today it just says "+shipping" and takes you to some kind of matrix instead of just showing you an estimate like it did yesterday.

Oh well, at least they're recognizing and working on the first problem I noticed once I started making 1-2 purchases a week; pretty much everyone overcharges for shipping on there. Had a dude charge me €17 when actual shipping was €5 last week...

Karakand

I'm not sure how you can say TNN is the epitome of a downward spiral given the fact that it just really started seeing considerable play and hardly any decks have adapted to it being played so heavily.

He means a downward spiral mechanically as well as in play.

A long time ago R&D decided to generally take away certain ways of playing the game (or tying them to creatures) in favor of creatures, because creatures are always interactive (lol). By backing themselves into this corner, the end result was progressively stupider and stupider creatures, ending at True-Name Nemesis. (I would add to this the fetishization of keywords and a design philosophy that making something a creature is enough of a drawback to allow for poor costing, but these weren't mentioned G's post.) If you make everything about creatures, then evasion becomes more and more essential to constructed play and you have to keep printing more and more evasive creatures because fucking everything flies, doesn't tap to attack, is unaffected by summoning sickness, can't be the target of spells or abilities its opponent controls, and is perpetual or indestructible (maybe even both if it's an Eldrazi!).

I was reading a Dragon's Maze review awhile back (I won't link it because it wasn't very good) that pointed out that Aetherling is better than Morphling, but won't be nearly as key a card in constructed formats as the latter. While I want the game to get better over time (Counter-Post is a lolbad deck, in retrospect), I feel this is illustrative of Magic's creature problem. (Blue is not a bad color in Standard, Modern, or Legacy atm.)

Building myself a modern U/G infect deck. Some common cards are $2.50 lol. Modern, why you so expensive?

heh, part of the reason I opted for Legacy over Modern was that I realized if I was going to outrageously overpay for out of print cards, I might as well pay too much for cards that might actually be good.

He means a downward spiral mechanically as well as in play.

A long time ago R&D decided to generally take away certain ways of playing the game (or tying them to creatures) in favor of creatures, because creatures are always interactive (lol). By backing themselves into this corner, the end result was progressively stupider and stupider creatures, ending at True-Name Nemesis. (I would add to this the fetishization of keywords and a design philosophy that making something a creature is enough of a drawback to allow for poor costing, but these weren't mentioned G's post.) If you make everything about creatures, then evasion becomes more and more essential to constructed play and you have to keep printing more and more evasive creatures because fucking everything flies, doesn't tap to attack, is unaffected by summoning sickness, can't be the target of spells or abilities its opponent controls, and is perpetual or indestructible (maybe even both if it's an Eldrazi!).

I don't really subscribe to this line of thinking because TNN really isn't anything new. Your inability to interact with this creature has printed on cards already at this point.

I was reading a Dragon's Maze review awhile back (I won't link it because it wasn't very good) that pointed out that Aetherling is better than Morphling, but won't be nearly as key a card in constructed formats as the latter. While I want the game to get better over time (Counter-Post is a lolbad deck, in retrospect), I feel this is illustrative of Magic's creature problem. (Blue is not a bad color in Standard, Modern, or Legacy atm.)

Aetherling can never be good as morphling in his time in standard purely based on the rule change.

I do agree with your legacy > modern rationale.

An-Det

TNN is an awful card, but on the bright side I'll be picking up my set of Mind Seize's today/tomorrow so I can finally join in on the awfulness.

I don't think anything is as awful as losing to a liliana of the veil

i'd much rather lose to a swinging TNN. it doesn't feel like your soul is ripped out of your body as much

No, no, it was printed prior to Sixth Edition. It was a bulk rare until the rules change.

yea, you have it backwards i believe

when you were allowed to place damage on the stack, then use his ability he was quite broken. it wasn't until damage changed was he rendered useless

it was printed in Urza's Saga to be exact

kirblar

yea, you have it backwards i believe

when you were allowed to place damage on the stack, then use his ability he was quite broken. it wasn't until damage changed was he rendered useless

it was printed in Urza's Saga to be exact
Urza's Saga: Fall '98.
Sixth Edition: Spring '99

His printing predated Damage on the Stack.

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED.

I don't think anything is as awful as losing to a liliana of the veil

i'd much rather lose to a swinging TNN. it doesn't feel like your soul is ripped out of your body as much

LOL
I love your description of losing to her.

Other than her first two abilities which are pretty obvious to me, how is her last ability typically used?

Split up the lands? Lands in one pile, creatures in the other? Completely situational?

Her +1 and -2 abilities win on their own, as long as you have other creatures or some card advantage.

LOL
I love your description of losing to her.

Other than her first two abilities which are pretty obvious to me, how is her last ability typically used?

Split up the lands? Lands in one pile, creatures in the other? Completely situational?

Her +1 and -2 abilities win on their own, as long as you have other creatures or some card advantage.

she controls the game sort of like big jace.

her ultimate can do exactly what you suggest, but it can also be more than that. permanents that black can't deal with when resolved have the option of making the opponent pick if they'd rather keep one pile over another.

i never found it hard to split piles with this card or fact or fiction

kirblar

she controls the game sort of like big jace.

her ultimate can do exactly what you suggest, but it can also be more than that. permanents that black can't deal with when resolved have the option of making the opponent pick if they'd rather keep one pile over another.

i never found it hard to split piles with this card or fact or fiction
The trick with FoF and Jace is that the person splitting can never win. It's why Steam Augury is a non-broken card.

The 6th edition rules change may have put him over the top, but Morphling would still have been a really strong creature back then anyway. The only reason he doesn't seem that good now is because of power creep. Unkillable, mostly-unblockable 4-turn clocks are nothing to sneeze at.

kirblar

The 6th edition rules change may have put him over the top, but Morphling would still have been a really strong creature back then anyway. The only reason he doesn't seem that good now is because of power creep. Unkillable, mostly-unblockable 4-turn clocks are nothing to sneeze at.
If it weren't on the Reserved List I'd love to reprint Masticore for the lulz.

OnPoint

From NOT Todd Anderson (Drew Levin) today:

The first question may be easy to answer for you. If you're playing Rite of Flame, Cabal Ritual, Reanimate, Natural Order, Flame Rift, Show and Tell, or Golgari Grave-Troll, your answer is "execute your primary game plan and mostly ignore their invincible Trained Armodon."

Of the decks I just mentioned, Dredge is the only one that interacts with True-Name Nemesis via combat, and it is reasonable to argue that Thalia, Guardian of Thraben is more damaging to Dredge than True-Name Nemesis. Both creatures block and kill any Ichorid or Zombie, but Thalia is a two-drop that also taxes Cabal Therapy, Dread Return, and every draw spell. Nemesis just kills or bounces off of the best creature.

The above two paragraphs are also why True-Name Nemesis will never get banned in Legacy. It is a powerful card that has no relevant card text against 20-25% of the format. Contrast with Mental Misstep, which had relevant game text against 95%+ of the format, or Survival of the Fittest, which was a resilient, proactive, and occasionally disruptive strategy all on its own.

If it weren't on the Reserved List I'd love to reprint Masticore for the lulz.

They sort of already did. He's just called Polukranos now :p

I could see OG Masticore getting played in non-green Nykthos decks. Would be in green ones too if his strict upgrade weren't around.

Top Bottom