• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

y2dvd

Yea I Definitely cant do Brimaz. I had planned on switching out the enlightenment out for sin collectors in the sideboard. does Hero affect D-sphere? I thought it was just aura specific. I'm thinking of just dropping the black all together, would the White first strike Archetype do well?

I did a trade in for $127 store credit and I'm trying to find a full deck right around that range. Might think about a Mogis themed deck instead.

Oops, you're right about the aura thing. W/B aggro is proven already. The downfall to W/U is not being able to survive Supreme Verdict. Maybe the card draw from Ephara god will make up for it.

I'm looking for a bunch of singles for my EDH deck. Where's the best place to get random singles?

Crocodile

Banned/Restricted List update:

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Sylvan Primordial also Banned in EDH, apparently

Oh EDH, what a terrible format you are :p

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";99415409]fuuuuck my DRS trade value :-([/QUOTE]
It's still in the Top 10 Cards played in Legacy, don't worry.

Commander isn't very fun but it has so many players that I basically had to swap Modern out for it.

Also, my girlfriend is gonna be sad her primordial is banned, she loves that card in her bant edh deck.

I think these are good changes. But holy crap that's a lot to throw into Modern all at once.

EDIT: I could have made bank if I had kept my spare Bitterblossoms around. I bought a pile at $4, and then sold them a few months ago at $12 (online), feeling quite happy to triple my money. Oh well - what's done is done.

An-Det

A bit sad to see DRS go, but I agree that it was the right thing to do. Also now really glad I picked up Scion of Oonas and Mistbind Cliques last week.

How much are you up on those ports if they go to $100? :p

Lol, about $75 a Port. Never expected they'd get anywhere near this high.

kirblar

Jace was apparently on the table for an unban, btw. (Him and BBE are actually starting to look less dangerous with the format so combo-heavy.)

Karakand

At the time Wild Nacatl was banned, we hoped that this would allow room for other aggressive decks to shine. Artifact-based aggressive strategies have remained popular and a few other aggressive decks have emerged, but the Zoo decks eventually disappeared as a result of the ban and nothing else emerged as a viable traditional aggressive deck. We expect that with the return of Wild Nacatl, those decks will return as a viable option.

Well, this is kind of funny.
I played several games of Modern tonight with my Jund deck, and even though they were in there, not once did I get to play a DRS.
I suppose that was some foreshadowing.

Hero

Just like I and many others said, DRS was the real power behind Jund's dominance, not BBE, because it was the enabler of T3 BBE.

Jace was apparently on the table for an unban, btw. (Him and BBE are actually starting to look less dangerous with the format so combo-heavy.)

Bloodbraid Elf wasn't the problem with Jund in the first place; it was always Deathrite Shaman. Bloodbraid was sacrificed in Deathrite's place because they didn't want to ban a card from a set that was still being cracked for drafts.

Yeef

*grumble*

I was hoping, selfishly, that Bitterblossom wouldn't be unbanned, since I don't have any and want some for a deck. Oh well.

rCIZZLE

Were you playing Jund before? It's still going to be totally fine; just a little less explosive.

BWR midrange. I'll repost the decklist I took to a GPT last week.

Decklist

23 LANDS
4 Marsh Flats
4 Arid Mesa
2 Godless Shrine
2 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Blood Crypt
1 Plains
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Verdant Catacombs
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Vault of the Archangel

12 CREATURES
4 Dark Confidant
4 Deathrite Shaman
2 Grim Lavamancer
2 Tidehollow Sculler

18 INSTANTS and SORCERIES
4 Path to Exile
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lingering Souls
3 Thoughtseize
2 Lightning Helix
2 Inquisition of Kozilek

7 OTHER SPELLS
3 Liliana of the Veil
1 Sword of War and Peace
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Ajani Vengeant

SIDEBOARD
1 Batterskull
2 Stony Silence
3 Mirran Crusader
1 Pithing Needle
2 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Sowing Salt
1 Wear / Tear
2 Ancient Grudge
1 Rakdos Charm
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence

Basically taken from the streamer Bahra_ after watching it a few times, liking it, and realizing I owned basically all of the expensive pieces. Wasn't even sure I was going until last night so my deck definitely wasn't complete with a couple MD lavaclaw reaches and SB rule of law (over canonist) and sowing salts missing. Figured it was worth going to start getting some experience in case I make it out to GP Richmond.

Without BBE to top it off, I don't think it's viable. There will be better (BB) thoughtseize decks.

Perhaps; I'm not just willing to write it off just yet. The basic strategy of "play the best cards" is still going to be good.

I suppose it's possible that Jund just morphs into a Bitterblossom deck - is Bitterblossom just better than Bob in a Jund shell? I can't imagine you play both though...

rCIZZLE

Might just port Maverick into modern since I don't feel like trading into another deck lol. Obviously it's shitty maverick without mom, gsz, wasteland, jitte, cradle, sylvan library, stp and of course DRS but KOTR, Ooze, Hierarch, and Pridemage are significantly better now. Tutoring up shitty wastelands and bog don't seem like the worst things I could be doing either.

Might just port Maverick into modern since I don't feel like trading into another deck lol. Obviously it's shitty maverick without mom, gsz, wasteland, jitte, cradle, sylvan library, stp and of course DRS but KOTR, Ooze, Hierarch, and Pridemage are significantly better now. Tutoring up shitty wastelands and bog don't seem like the worst things I could be doing either.

Knight of the Reliquary is way, way better now. Kibler was doing this earlier at a GP in 2013 even with Deathrite in the format (I believe it was the same GP that he famously F6d against Eggs).

Lucario

Time to get back into playing modern! I'll just trade off the 8 deathrite shamans I stocked up and build someth---

wait, I didn't think this through all the way

(this is still good for the format and I look forward to playing tribal flames zoo for a bit :p Also, can't wait for that bitterblossom reprint! Any day now...)

Jaeyden

Just saw the B&R announcement. Certainly a bit disappointing. I'm glad they went ahead and unbanned Nactl and Bitterblossom but the DRS ban is the end for me. I'm not pouring any more money into the format. Every deck I've had since I started playing has been hit with the hammer and I have no more interest in sinking my money into decks only to watch them get neutered every couple of months. They could have at least gone with the unbans this period and seen how it affects the meta and then banned DRS next set if things don't change. Bah!

f0rk

It's Tribal, and for reasons that I think are royally stupid, R&D doesn't want to do Tribal anymore.
They'll do it in modern masters.
I was getting close to buying vendilion cliques but there price is going to go even higher now :/ And I'm not sure how good they are in the more controlly decks against Bitterblossom and more Lingering Souls. Interested in Esper or Grixis now though

Lucario

It's Tribal, and for reasons that I think are royally stupid, R&D doesn't want to do Tribal anymore.

It'll make it into a supplementary product. If not, WoTC is fuckin' up.

I think it's always correct to reprint after an unban. Bitterblossom is a perfect example of what can go wrong if you don't -- a $10-15 card spikes to 75-80 dollars because so many copies are in casual/EDH decks.

If WoTC made it an unspoken rule to reprint everything they unban after a ~1-2 month "sell your shit now" period, the game would be better for it.

y2dvd

Can they hurry up and reprint fetch lands? I am not paying $50+ on each one. -_-

Wonder what the drop in price will be in DRS. I can still use one in EDH.

Yeah, for whatever reason when I think "reprint" I think "Standard-legal." My bad. :)

I do kind of hope that this does take Jund down a peg. Or, more specifically, that it takes Liliana back down in price to something approaching reason.

EDIT: I actually have no desire to play a Bitterblossom deck in Modern, but I did snipe a few off of an MTGO bot right when the announcement happened. If I were to sell, I've already made $3 on each one (even with the cut the bots take) and it hasn't even been 8 hours. Between now and the PT this could get way out of hand.

red13th

yes screw DRS! Yes! WotC doing something good for once! Or three things actually.
I need some good news after yesterday night, don't feel like doing a little dance though.
Now unban Jace and BBE :)

f0rk

Yeah, for whatever reason when I think "reprint" I think "Standard-legal." My bad. :)

I do kind of hope that this does take Jund down a peg. Or, more specifically, that it takes Liliana back down in price to something approaching reason.

EDIT: I actually have no desire to play a Bitterblossom deck in Modern, but I did snipe a few off of an MTGO bot right when the announcement happened. If I were to sell, I've already made $3 on each one and it hasn't even been 8 hours.
I have a Liliana that I want to offload for other modern cards so I hope it doesn't drop :D I don't think it will, people still want them in legacy, and people will still play her in modern. Smallpox seems like it could be OK. Sam Black has said he's going to brew with BB and blood artist.

I think I'm going to try my uwr splicer list. The money I spent on Geists seems wasted, UWR midrange looks way worse.

Unbanning Jace might be one of the only ways we see a proper control deck but I don't think they can just unban him without an immediate reprint.

OnPoint

I have a Liliana that I want to offload for other modern cards so I hope it doesn't drop :D I don't think it will, people still want them in legacy, and people will still play her in modern. Smallpox seems like it could be OK. Sam Black has said he's going to brew with BB and blood artist.

I think I'm going to try my uwr splicer list. The money I spent on Geists seems wasted, UWR midrange looks way worse.

Unbanning Jace might be one of the only ways we see a proper control deck but I don't think they can just unban him without an immediate reprint.

Makes me want to scoop up the two I need for a playset asap.

An-Det

Makes me want to scoop up the two I need for a playset asap.

I'm definitely looking to pick up the two I need as well. It'll get unbanned at some point, I don't want to see the crazy price of it if it weren't reprinted at about the same time.

bigkrev

Look at what happened to BB. Lots of MTG Finance guys on Reddit are making accusations of some sort of insider knowledge that led to a massive buyout of BB a few weeks ago (ie, they not only hit TCG player, but all the major sites and all the bots on MTGO, even the smaller ones). You aren't going to be able to pick that card up before the PT for under 50 dollars.

No way Jace comes off the list unless they are willing to reprint him in a standard-legal product. They would unbann Visions first if they want to push control

kirblar

Just saw the B&R announcement. Certainly a bit disappointing. I'm glad they went ahead and unbanned Nactl and Bitterblossom but the DRS ban is the end for me. I'm not pouring any more money into the format. Every deck I've had since I started playing has been hit with the hammer and I have no more interest in sinking my money into decks only to watch them get neutered every couple of months. They could have at least gone with the unbans this period and seen how it affects the meta and then banned DRS next set if things don't change. Bah!
DRS has needed a ban for over a year, but they didn't want to hammer a card from an in-print set. (What deck were you playing? Pod decks aren't that affected, and Jund's cards are still worth infinite.)

And yes, pick up Jace. He and BBE are now at the top of the viable unbans. (AV is weirdly more problematic.)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So, with Maro admitting the R&D is trying to move away from anything that requires midgame shuffling of decks, does that dash all hopes of a Fetchlands reprint?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Glad you guys convinced me to ditch my extra DRS and pick up Bitterblossoms. I'm going to hold on to modern viable cards forever, but I'm not going to seek them out. DRS and Bloodbraid being banned taught me that buying into the format is not exactly wise. Well, that and all the supplemental products being made for it means spending a large sum of money on say, Liliana, when she may get reprinted in a modern event deck or something doesn't make a ton of financial sense.

ultron87

I think my favorite cards of the whole prerelease weekend were the White and Red vanilla one drop bestow dudes. Mostly because I had a total of three of the white ones and two of the red ones in my heroic deck yesterday. It worked really well. I think I'd run the white one in non heroic decks almost all the time and wouldn't be sad about running the red one either. That permanent bump on another creature without the risk of the total blowout for such a cheap cost is pretty great.

OnPoint

Ton of legacy/modern price spikes this week pointed out by Star City.

Dark Depths, Grove of the Burnwillows, FoW, Wasteland, a few duals...

I will say the Bitterblossom buyout/unbanning is a curiously convenient occurrence.

OnPoint

Fuck a double post. I want to talk more.

I finally picked up full sets of my favorite arts for the Urza lands, for my hopeful eventual jump into Tron.

UrzasTowerShore.jpg
UrzasMineTower.jpg
UrzasPowerPlantColumns.jpg

I guess I should have picked a Tower that was flush right to try and confuse people with my Mine and Towers, but I just LOVE that Tower art so much.

kirblar

Ton of legacy/modern price spikes this week pointed out by Star City.

Dark Depths, Grove of the Burnwillows, FoW, Wasteland, a few duals...

I will say the Bitterblossom buyout/unbanning is a curiously convenient occurrence.
Unban info was getting leaked by someone (or a group of people.) Hopefully they follow through and investigate.

Top Bottom