• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

AMUSIX

Went 2-2....would have been 3-1, but I was exceptionally nice, then, when he had the chance, he chose to be a dick.

Essentially, at one point I attacked with something or other that had three or so enchantments on it, and he chose to double block...I looked at him confused, because he was tapped out, and his double block would do nothing but kill both of his creatures (and prevent the damage, of course) so I verified, and he felt like an idiot, and I allowed him to take back what was clearly just a bone-headed, unintentional move, brought on because of unfamiliarity with the cards.

I know, my bad, you're never supposed to be nice in a Magic game or some shit like that. Fuck that, everyone there is learning new cards, so a little leeway should be given. Those two creatures end up working very well for him through the round.

Fast forward a number of turns, and I've got two searing bloods in my hand. He's down on life, so I figure cast one this turn, attack, cast one the next, and the game's mine. I go to cast it, knowing he doesn't have a boosting instant. He's got three creatures out that would all die to it.

I go to read his cards upside down, one of the creatures is a 1/1 with a heroic trigger. So I hit it, and he casts some random spell onto it. Turns out the heroic gives two 1/1 counters. So, yeah, boneheaded mistake on my part through unfamiliarity with the cards. When I realize that he's not going to allow me a retarget and not simply waste the spell, I make a comment "yeah, stupid move, like your double block"....acknowledging that it was a dumb move on my part, and reminding him of earlier.

Yeah, so I guess being nice doesn't pay off....

Still, good night, my white splash red did quite well....and my wife's red-into-big-creatures did well, too.

Yeef

One guy was playing 3-color mill with Prophet of Kruphix, Phenax and a number of big-butt creatures. It can win pretty fast if you don't see it coming.

I hate sealed so much. I don't feel like I made any misplays, and I'm sure I made the best build with the cards I pulled. No splashable bombs, and none of the other three colors were worth boarding in. My fixing was especially bad. I stretched out the games where I was mismatched through bluffs and tricks, but I was guaranteed to lose through attrition.

Draft is a real skill. Sealed is more of a casual format that should be limited to prereleases and never ever played in tournament.

I never know if I was a better player in sealed.

High-impact mill cards like Phenax are almost always ridiculous in limited formats.

I had an opponent come this close to decking me with Evanescent Intellect at the pre-release. But isn't that how it always goes? Unless you get a bomb (Phenax/Jace 3.0) or the format is specifically designed to allow for it (Dampen Thought), mill is almost always a trap - even in 40 card formats.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";99296240]I hate sealed so much. I don't feel like I made any misplays, and I'm sure I made the best build with the cards I pulled. No splashable bombs, and none of the other three colors were worth boarding in. My fixing was especially bad. I stretched out the games where I was mismatched through bluffs and tricks, but I was guaranteed to lose through attrition.

Draft is a real skill. Sealed is more of a casual format that should be limited to prereleases and never ever played in tournament.[/QUOTE]

Sealed requires a different sort of skill from draft, and it is very swingy, but it is very much skill-based. The variance swings are just so high that it takes a lot of tournaments for it to even out.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Went 2-1 in THG sealed, I was piloting U/W fliers with some Heroic and my partner went mono-black since in addition to the promo our pool had Heros Demise, Thoughtseize, two Gray Merchants, the black guy who makes Harpies equal to your devotion to black and several other good cards. Didn't get anything particularly noteworthy in the pool but in my prize packs I got a Kiora, which I'm pretty happy about

First game was ridiculous. We had them down to like three life in about seven turns and then one player got Whip of Erbos out, started swinging with big green dudes, and they ended up beating us and finishing with 87 life

rCIZZLE

Is it looking like any new decks are going to be emerging for standard? I'm currently running G/W aggro but getting nothing from this set except for the temple is making me want to try something new.

Can someone help explain to me why the Top 8 MBD decks are running so many Devour Fleshes? I feel like it's worse then just having a Doom Blade and potentially an Ultimate Price, though Devour Flesh can definitely serve its purpose against cards like Blood Baron of Vizkopa.

Both MBD decks from GP Vancouver last weekend (John Stern & Matt Sperling) have 3 or more Devour Flesh along with another card that makes me question it's prevalence compared to just strict removal: Pharika's Cure. I understand that it works against aggro decks, other things, however (e.g. G/R Monsters), it doesn't fare as well in the late game, Pharika's Cure can become useless (unless you're blocking and finishing the damage with that card) and Devour Flesh can end up having your opponent gain lots of life.

If you can explain why Devour Flesh and Pharika's Cure are so prevalent in these Top 8 decks, then I think I would understand how Bile Blight in the mainboard and Drown in Sorrow in the SB are great additions to MBD.

This is my current MBD deck, by the way (ignore the missing Mutavaults, please >_<).

EDIT: I've put in 2 Bile Blights replacing 2 Ultimate Prices as well as replacing my one-of Doom Blade with Devour Flesh in the main board.

For the side board, I've gone ahead and replaced 2 Doom Blade with 2 Drown in Sorrow.

I'm going to have to do some testing and see how it goes!

My Esper deck doesn't change much going in to BNG. Basically replacing guildgates with Temples of Enlightenment and a single Gild to the mainboard.

The bigger issue is that Bile Blight hits my two main win conditions in Pack Rat and Elspeth, which has led me to adding two Blood Barons to the sideboard.

The variance swings are just so high that it takes a lot of tournaments for it to even out.

Lol

Coming from other competitive games, this excuse is just insane to me. It's just like Poker! Skill evens out bad draws over time! Only one hand takes four hours instead of four minutes.

There's some variance in draft as well(much, much less than sealed), but the multiple layers of strategy compared to sealed make a bigger difference.

If people are going to play sealed outside of promo events at all, it should be two-headed at the very least. Because then deck building requires a much stronger skillset.

OnPoint

Yeah, so I guess being nice doesn't pay off....

I was playing in an Open Series once and I let an opponent take a move back. Later in the match, he returned the favor. It's largely dependent on the person. It's a shame, really, that people can't be better sports

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";99318839]My Esper deck doesn't change much going in to BNG. Basically replacing guildgates with Temples of Enlightenment and a single Gild to the mainboard.

The bigger issue is that Bile Blight hits my two main win conditions in Pack Rat and Elspeth, which has led me to adding two Blood Barons to the sideboard.

Lol

Coming from other competitive games, this excuse is just insane to me. It's just like Poker! Skill evens out bad draws over time! Only one hand takes four hours instead of four minutes.

There's some variance in draft as well(much, much less than sealed), but the multiple layers of strategy compared to sealed make a bigger difference.

If people are going to play sealed outside of promo events at all, it should be two-headed at the very least. Because then deck building requires a much stronger skillset.[/QUOTE]
He's saying exactly what you just said? Variance in Magic takes longer to level out because the matches take so long to play. Sealed is run at GPs because Drafting isn't physically feasible for that many people.

However, 3-man Team Sealed is highly skill-intensive, and the variance is hugely reduced because of the players opening 12 packs instead of 6 and playing 2/3 matches instead of 2/3 games.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";99323792]3 man seems like a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]
I personally feel 3-man sealed is the best format in the game.

I've been thinking about buying a couple of Thassa's to put into a deck with Geist's, just to protect him.

What do you guys think? She's low enough casting cost to be Modern viable, and her free scry ability could be great as well.

kirblar

I've been thinking about buying a couple of Thassa's to put into a deck with Geist's, just to protect him.

What do you guys think? She's low enough casting cost to be Modern viable, and her free scry ability could be great as well.
That's hyper-mana intensive though. Would think the Zur deck solution of tutorable Steel of the Godhead would work out better overall.

edit: Wait, that deck plays a Thassa too anyway, right?

That's hyper-mana intensive though. Would think the Zur deck solution of tutorable Steel of the Godhead would work out better overall.

edit: Wait, that deck plays a Thassa too anyway, right?

I believe it is a one of, yes.

EDIT: So basically the Zur deck is the best way to protect him?

Someone I watch on Twitch absolutely loves the Zoo deck. A couple of weeks ago I mentioned to him that Chandra could protect Geist, somewhat.

I personally feel 3-man sealed is the best format in the game.

Seems cool, but I still like two-headed better. Creating interactions between you and your teammate's deck adds a whole new layer to the game that separates teams by skill level a lot further. 3-man sounds like super duper sealed.

Two-headed constructed is fun too, but the game breaks too fast compared to sealed.

Two-headed draft is also great, but packs get diluted too quickly for the draft portion to be all that skill-intensive.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";99337304]Seems cool, but I still like two-headed better. Creating interactions between you and your teammate's deck adds a whole new layer to the game that separates teams by skill level a lot further. 3-man sounds like super duper sealed.

Two-headed constructed is fun too, but the game breaks too fast compared to sealed.

Two-headed draft is also great, but packs get diluted too quickly for the draft portion to be all that skill-intensive.[/QUOTE]
3-Man IS super duper sealed, but without the things that break the game in MP formats.

It's a lot like Arena drafting in Hearthstone, in that the overall power level of decks is quite a bit higher than standard sealed deck.

y2dvd

Ended up 3-1 again last night. My 3rd opponent was ridiculous. He had an Returned Phalanx T2, Ashiok T3, Aerie Worshipper T4, Phalanx god T5. I got milled in no time. 3rd game, he had Ashiok T3 again. Thankfully, I was able to answer it immediately. He showed me his pulls afterwards and had an Ashiok and 2 Phalanx gods. How is that even possible?!

I lost to a better R/B deck because he had Stormbreath Dragon and Mogis god and managed to draw them both in both games lol. After playing against Mogis, I have no doubt it will be constructed playable.

All in all I'm still happy with my result seeing how I had no crazy bombs.

Want to do a new deck. heres what I put together.
Main Deck:
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Precinct Captain
4 Banisher Priest
4 Lyev Skyknight
2 Imposing sovereign
4 Xathrid Necromancer
4 Cartel Aristocrat

2 Ephara, Goddess of the Polis
2 Spear of Heliod
4 Detention Sphere
2 Supreme Verdict

4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of silence
4 Azorius Guildgate
6 Plains
2 Island

Sideboard:
3 Brave the Elements
3 Glare of Heresy
4 Daring Skyjek
2 Ephara's Enlightenment
3 Glimpse the Sun God

Does this seem like it would work, obviously I struggled with the sideboard selections. Brimaz is too expensive and he doesn't go with the human theme, shocklands are too expensive. Any suggestions would be helpful, especially on my mana base. The main other cards I debated were Daxos, Bident and Soul Ransom. How much worse would it be if I dropped the black completely? I think it would make it useless right?

Lose the Supreme Verdicts. You do not want to take out your own creatures no matter what. Replace the Cartel Aristocrats with another card. You don't generate enough tokens unless you have Brimaz King in there, which I would make room for even if its not a human. Plus you have that Ephara god so even more reason to include Brimaz. I get the idea that the Necromancer will allow you to sac a human and still get a zombie but you dont really want to have to do that. If Brimaz is still too much for you then replace it with whatever else like Dryad Militant, Boros Elite, Judge's Familiar, Daring Skyjek, Frontline Medic. I'd want to try out Hero of Iroas instead along with Ephara's Enlightment. Hero would make that and d-sphere 1 less to cast. Imo, it's too many scrylands which will hurt your tempo. At least take out the guildgates. I'd also move Necromancer to the sideboard for control matchups.

Can someone help explain to me why the Top 8 MBD decks are running so many Devour Fleshes? I feel like it's worse then just having a Doom Blade and potentially an Ultimate Price, though Devour Flesh can definitely serve its purpose against cards like Blood Baron of Vizkopa.

Both MBD decks from GP Vancouver last weekend (John Stern & Matt Sperling) have 3 or more Devour Flesh along with another card that makes me question it's prevalence compared to just strict removal: Pharika's Cure. I understand that it works against aggro decks, other things, however (e.g. G/R Monsters), it doesn't fare as well in the late game, Pharika's Cure can become useless (unless you're blocking and finishing the damage with that card) and Devour Flesh can end up having your opponent gain lots of life.

If you can explain why Devour Flesh and Pharika's Cure are so prevalent in these Top 8 decks, then I think I would understand how Bile Blight in the mainboard and Drown in Sorrow in the SB are great additions to MBD.

This is my current MBD deck, by the way (ignore the missing Mutavaults, please >_<).

EDIT: I've put in 2 Bile Blights replacing 2 Ultimate Prices as well as replacing my one-of Doom Blade with Devour Flesh in the main board.

For the side board, I've gone ahead and replaced 2 Doom Blade with 2 Drown in Sorrow.

I'm going to have to do some testing and see how it goes!

Devour of Flesh hits something no matter what. Rip out all their threats that your other kill spells can't take care of with thoughtseize and save Devor of Flesh for the one that it can. Plus, sometimes you want to use it on your own guys to prevent it from being exiled if you're on the Whip of Erebos plan and you gain life back.

kirblar

To borrow a Patrick Sullivan-ism "You want to ignore as many text boxes as psosible with Monoblack." Devour Flesh does that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Devour Flesh gets better than Doom Blade the more MBD is played.

Firemind

3-Man IS super duper sealed, but without the things that break the game in MP formats.

It's a lot like Arena drafting in Hearthstone, in that the overall power level of decks is quite a bit higher than standard sealed deck.

Yup. Team sealed is the best format ever. Building three decks is the most fun part and, unlike two-headed, cards can't break the format (unless it's pack rat). Bickering because you want to play the coolest cards never gets old. I wish I could go to GP Barcelona. Maybe I will! Kind of undecided.

y2dvd

I wouldn't mind the Pack Rat ban. That card is too resilient. I think that's why Mono blue and U/W/x can at least put up a fight with Mono black. Cyclonic Rift overload everything or d-sphere the rats. If I wasn't in those two decks, I'd put Ratchet Bomb in the sideboard just for the Rats. Funny thing is you need 2 counters to also destroy the Rat tokens.

bigkrev

I'm going to officially predict the only change to the Banned/Restricted list will be a ban of Deathrite Shaman in Modern. That would shake it up enough to be noteworthy

f0rk

Two headed giant is a silly format. Lost and won a game to Akroan Horse. Grey Merchant becomes ridiculous as well.

Crocodile

Went to pre-release yesterday. Pool was GARBAGE but with some solid play and a bit of luck I was able to sneak into Top 8 for prizes. Picked up a fair number of things for my Enchantment Cube and playing Magic is fun so overall it was a fine time though I can't say my impression of the set has been raised after getting my hands on it for a bit :p

That card would have gotten someone screamed at if submitted in GDS2.

Its funny because I feel that's true of a lot of cards WOTC has printed recently :p

Two headed giant is a silly format. Lost and won a game to Akroan Horse. Grey Merchant becomes ridiculous as well.

I used to play two-headed constructed with a friend of mine. He played a hard control deck while I played Jund.

I would just drop a bunch of cheap haste aggro shit and extort off of thrull parasite to drain 2-4 every turn on top of the attacks and golgari charm while my partner supreme verdicts over and over.

Kacar

Lose the Supreme Verdicts. You do not want to take out your own creatures no matter what. Replace the Cartel Aristocrats with another card. You don't generate enough tokens unless you have Brimaz King in there, which I would make room for even if its not a human. Plus you have that Ephara god so even more reason to include Brimaz. I get the idea that the Necromancer will allow you to sac a human and still get a zombie but you dont really want to have to do that. If Brimaz is still too much for you then replace it with whatever else like Dryad Militant, Boros Elite, Judge's Familiar, Daring Skyjek, Frontline Medic. I'd want to try out Hero of Iroas instead along with Ephara's Enlightment. Hero would make that and d-sphere 1 less to cast. Imo, it's too many scrylands which will hurt your tempo. At least take out the guildgates. I'd also move Necromancer to the sideboard for control matchups.
Yea I Definitely cant do Brimaz. I had planned on switching out the enlightenment out for sin collectors in the sideboard. does Hero affect D-sphere? I thought it was just aura specific. I'm thinking of just dropping the black all together, would the White first strike Archetype do well?

I did a trade in for $127 store credit and I'm trying to find a full deck right around that range. Might think about a Mogis themed deck instead.

oKlewdm.jpg
TrsaK6s.jpg

Godlike suicide combo, your opponents won't know what hit 'em.

I don't think they would try to build hype for a banning. But an unbanning? Absolutely.

I'm still betting Bitterblossom. But I would love to watch the community collectively lose their shit if something like Jace was unbanned
and then sob quietly because that would actually be terrible

Top Bottom