• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

OnPoint

Unban info was getting leaked by someone (or a group of people.) Hopefully they follow through and investigate.

It's pretty despicable as I wanted to pick one up for a Commander deck. I can't be the only one who had casual interest. The recent price spike turned me off from it. I really hope it gets a reprint in that upcoming event deck.

Jaeyden

DRS has needed a ban for over a year, but they didn't want to hammer a card from an in-print set. (What deck were you playing? Pod decks aren't that affected, and Jund's cards are still worth infinite.)

When I started playing Modern I built a Storm Deck and a Jund Deck. Then a few months later both of my decks got hit when BBE and SS were banned. That was a bit disheartening. I shelved the Storm deck. It sucked to lose BBE because that meant replacing my £3 Elves with £25 Huntmasters but I did it anyway. So, then I decided to build Pod. I love the deck and I know it's not dead without Shaman, but Heirarchs are fucking expensive and Shaman was an all star in the mirror. As for my jund deck I just don't quite know. Birds I guess, but man they are a real setback and Jund does so much damage to itself that Shaman life gain was sometimes the only thing to keep me from killing myself. Guess what else I have? A Goryo's reanimator...lol. Won't be long before it gets chopped up too, now that DRS is gone.

Additionally, Zur was banned in 1 v 1 this week. I have a Zur deck which I play quite often. This doesn't affect me too much, as most of my EDH is multiplayer but we do play some 1 v 1 games a few times a week and so he getting benched for those matches. This is a fair ban, because Zur is nasty in 1 v 1.

I'd rather just sell off my modern stuff and get what I need for a good legacy reanimator. Then I can cross my fingers and hope the two Show and Tell I just picked up don't get banned.

kirblar

You still have Goyfs and Bobs, right? You don't want to play mana dorks in Jund- the only reason the deck did was because DRS is a busted card.

Exokell

Banned
It was funny that most pros were saying that wild nacatl and bb should be unbanned. Especially bb. Bb is fucking too powerful... Wtf r they thinking?

kirblar

It was funny that most pros were saying that wild nacatl and bb should be unbanned. Especially bb. Bb is fucking too powerful... Wtf r they thinking?
The format needs more disruptive decks in general. BB definitely helps along that axes. It's a pipe-bomb of a card. We'll see how it works out.

Jaeyden

Yeah, I'd rather just get some Groves and move to Legacy where my Shaman can get married to his Bloodbraid and live happily ever after.

Exokell

Banned
The format needs more disruptive decks in general. BB definitely helps along that axes. It's a pipe-bomb of a card. We'll see how it works out.
draw go isnt what magic needs... And faerie deck has too much value in each card. Thats why in mtgo theyre selling bb for 50. Can't believe they unban bb but they ban shit cards like seething song. Storm is freaking inconsistent.

kirblar

draw go isnt what magic needs... And faerie deck has too much value in each card. Thats why in mtgo theyre selling bb for 50. Can't believe they unban bb but they ban shit cards like seething song. Storm is freaking inconsistent.
Decks couldn't interact with it G1. It apparently had an absurd G1 win % on MTGO, leading to the ban. G2/3 were always "did you draw your SB stuff? Did they draw echoing truth?"

Execpt I was playing Fae at the time and the matchup was near-unwinnable for them.

Firemind

Also this means I can play my haterator deck in modern with night of souls betrayal and blood moon. Everything is falling into place.

Lucario

so I managed to draft this in cube:

11 Forest
3 Plains
1 Murmuring Bosk
1 Brushland
1 Sunpetal Grove

1 Lotus Bloom

1 Joraga Treespeaker
1 Fyndhorn Elves

1 Fleecemane Lion
1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder

1 Basalt Monolith
1 Kitchen Finks

1 Natural Order
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Eureka
1 Polukranos, World Eater

1 Stunted Growth
1 Garruk, Primal Hunter
1 Batterskull

1 Mold Shambler

1 Tooth and Nail
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

1 Terastodon

1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 Progenitus

Just finished round 1, and it was a mirror match.

Seriously.

It was a mono-green-splash-white-for-fatties ramp deck, with tons of 1-mana dorks and similar fatties.

Game 1 I drop a turn 3 natural order for progenitus, gg

Game 2, he end up with two mana dorks out, along with Lotus Cobra and Oracle of Mul Daya. He keeps playing land after land off the top, races out some more ramp, a creature, and destroys my only nonland nonmanadork permanent in play -- Basalt Monolith.

I would've been able to untap, play tooth and nail, and race out Iona and Kitchen Finks, pretty much wiping his board.

Topdeck Eureka.

He has two cards in hand, one is a fucking sorcery.

My entire hand empties itself on the board -- Iona (naming white), Kitchen Finks, and Polukranos -- and his board is wiped.

Then he played Beast Within on my Iona (should've named Green!) and topdecks a goddamn Baneslayer Angel (or not!).

I draw Rofellos, then Forest. Exactly enough mana to entwine Tooth & Nail to win on the spot.

Firemind

If BBE comes back Boom/Bust Zoo becomes a real thing again.

everythings-comin-up-milhouse-o.gif

Went 3-1 in my pre-release. Started off on the wrong foot mulliganing down to 5 (then flooding), and while games 2/3 of that first match were very fun and respectable, I got taken down. Then I just went on a tear and didn't lose another.

I had chosen blue, but didn't end up playing it, playing red/white instead.

My favorite play I made all tourney:

I had stalled at four lands. My opponent puts down that 6/6 kraken guy. I've got my Labyrinth Champion and 2 other small weenies.

I draw a Fall of the Hammer. I already had 1 in hand. So I use 2 Fall of the Hammers on my labyrinth champion (triggering heroic both times, Fall of the Hammer is awesome), kill his kraken (+2 to him), then swing in for 5 dmg.

My second favorite play was also with Fall of the Hammer, but this time on my Akroan Conscriptor. Killed one of his two fliers, and stole the other one for the turn, hitting him for like 14 total with my other guys and ending the game.

Anyway, Fall of the Hammer should be a pretty high pick in draft if you are red, particularly if you've got some good heroic creatures.

y2dvd

Yeah Fall of Hammer does work. It makes that 5/2 cyclops playable because if the high power. I took out some bombs just with it.

psssh jund is like the least interesting legacy deck imaginable.

I won a local tourney with Legacy Jund with it and refused to play it again it was so dull to play. I'd rather lose playing primeval titan and thragtusk than win with bloodbraid into lilana.

edit: I also play noble hierarchs in vintage and have been known to crack lotus for white.

rCIZZLE

Rough outline of the deck I'm thinking of putting together for modern. Figured I'd see if I could get some feedback here before posting it on reddit and getting downvoted to oblivion like usual.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/maverick-03-02-14-1/

KOTR will be better now that DRS is gone and Abrupt Decay will be less likely to show up if people start dumping Jund. Voice could be a house depending on the performance of Faeries at the PT.

Interested to hear any and all feedback.

I had a similar thought on Voice, and I'm about ready to just snap them up before they skyrocket. Except I'm thinking about jumping ship and moving to Pod - it's something I've been thinking about doing for a while, and I think Twin is about to get much, much worse.

Just not sure if I want to do Melira or Kiki-Pod. I think I like Melira Pod better, but I'm not sure.

I had a similar thought on Voice, and I'm about ready to just snap them up before they skyrocket. Except I'm thinking about jumping ship and moving to Pod - it's something I've been thinking about doing for a while, and I think Twin is about to get much, much worse.

Just not sure if I want to do Melira or Kiki-Pod. I think I like Melira Pod better, but I'm not sure.

I am building Melira Pod, myself. I've been informed that it is the better of the two.

You still may want to pick up Voice of Resurgence though because Melira Pod can run 2-3 copies of Voice.

I have a play set of Voice because I run Selesnya in Standard, so I already had my copies.

You may also want to get your Archangel of Thune because her price has started to go back up due to seeing tournament play.

kirblar

Archangel is $20? lol, wow, I got them at 15 and thought I would've lost money by now. M14 really wasn't opened much, was it?

I am building Melira Pod, myself. I've been informed that it is the better of the two.

You still may want to pick up Voice of Resurgence though because Melira Pod can run 2-3 copies of Voice.

I have a play set of Voice because I run Selesnya in Standard, so I already had my copies.

You may also want to get your Archangel of Thune because her price has started to go back up due to seeing tournament play.

Oh, I definitely still want Voices. I just meant that I wanted them for Pod, not for Hatebears.

The card that's getting to be way too overpriced right now is Noble Hierarch, now that he's once again the best mana dork in Modern.

Yeah, I really don't know what to do. I've managed to end up with a playset of all of the really expensive Faeries stuff as Twin decks have been pushing to be less and less combo-oriented. I kinda want to offload it for profit and move into Pod, but some pieces (like Hierarch specifically) seem overinflated and likely to see some sort of reprint. If there's one thing I've learned about Magic over the past year it's that I hate playing tempo decks, and this Fae stuff is just rotting in my collection.

Hierarchy is probably the only thing in the Pod deck likely to lose any significant value, while the other stuff might just keep climbing. It might be a good move, or it might not be. Decisions, decisions.

Of course, I could just sell it all and move into Legacy. I'm hoping Vintage Masters pushes more Legacy staples into the MTGO market, I'm a combo player at heart, and legacy is where all the sweet combo decks are...

hoverX

So I bought a box of Theros a few months back and now i've decided I don't want to open it. The store I bought it from won't take it back because I don't have a receipt. Am I better off opening the box and selling the rares or should I try and sell the box on Kijiji?

So I bought a box of Theros a few months back and now i've decided I don't want to open it. The store I bought it from won't take it back because I don't have a receipt. Am I better off opening the box and selling the rares or should I try and sell the box on Kijiji?

Probably should sell the box. Theros ev has tanked since the new year.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Sell the box, Theros value is awful.

Nobel Hierarch would have been perfect in M13 as a BoP replacement in a set with exalted. Still pissed they skipped out.

For some reason, they decided Exalted was supposed to be black and white.

There's a chance they put it in Vintage Masters this summer, but it won't take care of the problem in paper.

Noble Hierarch and Fulminator Mage both need some reprintings.
Damnation too, but not in this Standard Meta of course.

Okay, I watched a few games of Melira Pod in the stream, and I realize that it has more of a learning curve. You need to know your outs to many situations and what cards to combo with and fetch with Pod, etc.

It was very good at winning, but it wasn't very fun to watch, to be honest. I wonder if I would have more fun actually playing it.

Ugh. Just lost in the finals of a MTGO cube due to a really annoying misplay on my part (didn't re-equip Jitte prior to passing the turn, thus missing out on two counters and losing to a Corrupt to the face). At least the draft paid for itself, but those stupid mistakes keep coming back to haunt me. I find myself losing mental focus during 3/4 round tournaments; I have a serious respect for players who can keep sharp during a 16-round tournament.

My deck was sweet though. I've gone 2-1 in three Swiss straight cubes, and each deck was its own level of sweetness. Swiss is absolutely the way to go on the MTGO cube; with enough of the weird crap that can happen, I like that making 2-1 means that you drafted for free. It's a little unfortunate that a 1-3 paired with a 3-0 doesn't quite cover two drafts, but overall it's still pretty decent value.

bigkrev

Jesus, Mistbind Clique has jumped from $3 to $20, Darkslick Shores from $2 to $12, ect.

When Faries fails to make a T32 appearance at the PT, these prices aren't even going to drop

Ugh. Just lost in the finals of a MTGO cube due to a really annoying misplay on my part (didn't re-equip Jitte prior to passing the turn, thus missing out on two counters and losing to a Corrupt to the face). At least the draft paid for itself, but those stupid mistakes keep coming back to haunt me. I find myself losing mental focus during 3/4 round tournaments; I have a serious respect for players who can keep sharp during a 16-round tournament.

My deck was sweet though. I've gone 2-1 in three Swiss straight cubes, and each deck was its own level of sweetness. Swiss is absolutely the way to go on the MTGO cube; with enough of the weird crap that can happen, I like that making 2-1 means that you drafted for free. It's a little unfortunate that a 1-3 paired with a 3-0 doesn't quite cover two drafts, but overall it's still pretty decent value.

I adore Swiss Cube. Had a great run when they had the power in there. I think I had something like 4 or 5 decks in a row build around Armageddon and/or Tax/Rack. Sometimes though, you just run into someone who pulls off their crazy combo and you're powerless to stop them.

Gannd

Banned
If I were to get back into Magic (I played from Unlimted up until Prophecy) and wanted to spend $500. What would be the best way to do that? Before it was easy, just start with the core set and slowly add in the expansions as they release. Does that still work? Thanks!

bigkrev

If I were to get back into Magic (I played from Unlimted up until Prophecy) and wanted to spend $500. What would be the best way to do that? Before it was easy, just start with the core set and slowly add in the expansions as they release. Does that still work? Thanks!

Depends what you wanted to do. Do you want to play Standard/Modern at a competitive level? EDH? Casual?

Gannd

Banned
Depends what you wanted to do. Do you want to play Standard/Modern at a competitive level? EDH? Casual?

I kept (and recently found) two of my old decks and that got me yearning for the game. I think I'm more interested in semi-competitive type 2 play. I don't think they do type 1 competive but that's my "casual" decks.

rCIZZLE

I kept (and recently found) two of my old decks and that got me yearning for the game. I think I'm more interested in semi-competitive type 2 play. I don't think they do type 1 competive but that's my "casual" decks.

What I'd suggest is watching some of the starcitygames T2 tournament this Saturday. It'll be the first time the newest cards are used as a new set comes out on Friday. You'll at least get to see 3-4 different decks to get an idea of what you may want to play.

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive = stream link

bigkrev

Type 2 is Standard. It's the most popular constructed format. Modern (which allows all sets after 8th edition) is the second most popular format, and has replaced Extended.

Remember that for Standard, cards rotate out every 2 years. If you want to spend 500 dollars and be ready to play at a competitive level, you could build just about any deck you want to right now. http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_...014+StarCity+Open+Standard+-+Baltimore+-+1/25

Remember that buying packs, unless you plan to draft them, is a poor use of money

bigkrev

Is it better to get back in then doing sealed events and drafts?

Here's the thing- lets say you want a competitive deck that has black in it. That means you are going to need 4 Thoughtsiezes. Thoughtsieze is a 15 dollar card. If you wanted to buy 4 copies, its going to cost you 60 dollars. For that same price, you could enter 4 FNM drafts. You are going to get a chance to crack 12 boosters across those events, plus any that you win. There are 53 rare cards in Theros.

Yes, by drafting, you will get more cards, but it isn't likely you will get ones you actually want for your deck. If you enjoy limited, I would play limited. If your goal is to take 500 and make a competitive deck, then you are going to be buying singles to achieve that goal.

Top Bottom