• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

I googled that and it doesn't seem to be Magic the Gathering. My spoiler tag wasn't a reference to games like Magic, but possibly a reference to things perhaps maybe like Magic the Gathering Online that may or may not exist and may or may not be allowed to be mentioned in this thread.
Oh, things involving a certain type of Bird. I don't ... think it's an issue mentioning it?

Oh, things involving a certain type of Bird. I don't ... think it's an issue mentioning it?

It's hard to tell if talking about it on GAF is ok or not. Seems like a gray area. But if someone did theoretically play on it would they hypothetically be willing to teach me a bit using it?

Karakand

Trawling IRC channels for Apprentice opponents ca. 2002. Get on my level.

Ok so apparently most of you do not play Duels of the Planeswalkers. Do any of you play Magic the Gathering Online?
or something similar

I use MODO but I have no life until June / July due to my trade so I only really use it at vampire hours (0230-0400 Pacific) now.

So what's everyone thinking for the Prerelease? I'm almost definitely going Blue, the promo is a sexy sexy card and I think it will complement whatever my THG partner picks

This will be my first prerelease, and I'm going Red because I always play blue.

Really, I'm hoping to crack a Mogis and then run RB. If I'm really lucky I'll also crack Purphoros.

I don't plan on doing very well in any case. I don't seem to have any success in a competitive environment.

Firemind

I'm a red mage at heart so I'm almost assuredly going down the path of battle, but I would be lying if the Eater of Hope prerelease promo doesn't look majestic.

Speaking of red, I'm pretty happy mono red can 3-0 in cube with one hand tied behind its back again. In powered cube, shit is just too ridiculous. In normal cube, if you have all the mono red cards nobody wants, you're practically guaranteed a win on the play. In my latest 8-4 cube, opponents played Exalted Angel, Sword of War and Peace, Huntmaster and Elixer of Immortality, but mono red just didn't give a fuck. I think I had 15 of the best 23 mono red cards you can have.

1. Goblin Guide
  2. Sulfuric Vortex
  3. Lightning Bolt
  4. Chain Lightning
  5. Firebolt
  6. Fireblast
  7. Searing Blaze
  8. Grim Lavamancer
  9. Ball Lightning
  10. Blistering Firecat
  11. Hell's Thunder
  12. Ember Hauler
  13. Molten Rain
  14. Magma Jet
  15. Arc Trail

I think the only cards I missed out on were Rift Bolt, Koth, Hellspark Elemental, Keldon Marauders, Shrine of Burning Rage, Flame Javelin, Char and Incinerate. If I had those I'd have the perfect mono red deck. :lol

On lunchbreak at the Australia prerelease. Currently 1-1. Smashed match one, then had a really awkward match two. Game one he mulls to 6, I mull to 5, and get destroyed. Game two he mulls to 6, I keep a 2-land 7 card hand and smash him. Game three he mulls to five (on the play), I keep a 2-land 7 card hand (I've done this math - I'm 88% to hit my third land by turn 3 on the draw), and don't see a 3rd land in nearly enough time to do anything. All three games ended with one player on 15+ life, and the other player basically having done nothing of relevance.

Only good pull was a foil Thoughtseize.

Off to the next round!

EDIT: Finished 3-2. Lost the final round in game three when I was forced to mull to five. And my opponent still had to topdeck to get out of it. Oh well; such is life!

I have mixed feelings on Tromokratis. He won me almost every game that I cast him in (save for the game I just mentioned, but a mull-to-five isn't exactly a good example), but he also just rotted in my hands for turns. I can say for sure that you should never draft this guy, but in sealed he might just be worth playing. Hard to say.

y2dvd

Midnight prelease. Almost up for 24 hrs. zZz.

My opening pack had pretty sick money rares - Elspeth, Mogis god, and Xengos god. I chose blue as my color and most of my good cards were in that color so I couldnt even splash for the gods. Ended up with U/W control, going 3-1. My lost was to a G/W deck that had 8 1 drops and quickly ran thru my deck when I was hurting for mana.

Thoughts on cards:
Aerie Worshippers - good body and it's easy to bluff a combat trick with W or G backed up. token birds are also nice to chump block or just save it to get dmg thru next turn.
Annul - it's going to be a higher pick in draft. Lots of enchantments to hit now.
Sudden Storm - Had this and Griptide and was getting dmg thru easily
Sphinx's Disciple - even with the 2/2 body for 5cmc, the draw ability is awesome.
Nullify - I was heavy into blue and this card hits about everything in this set.
Siren of the Fanged Coast - I was never happy with this card. Say there's only a weak creature to steal. Whatever, don't pay tribute, you steal a weak creatures and your flier is a 1/1 that can die to everything. Say there's a big threat you're trying to steal. Whatever, pay tribute and your 4/4 has to deal with my bigger threat. It was always a lose/lose for me.

kirblar

A-D, how much did you pick up that extra Port playset for? :p There are like 0 out there on the market outside of the 4 pages on TCGP.

If I would have gone, I would have been up for over 24 hours. No way I could play magic that way, and end up sleeping most of Saturday, and throwing off my sleep schedule. I made the right decision.

If I would have gone, I would have been up for over 24 hours. No way I could play magic that way, and end up sleeping most of Saturday, and throwing off my sleep schedule. I made the right decision.

Midnight prereleases are for crazy people. I like Magic and all that, but I'll sleep normally, thank you very much.

I did a midnight prerelease for AVR and it was such an awful experience (both in terms of play errors due to sleepiness and my sealed pool) I am never going to do that again.

Also there's like four inches of fresh snow on the ground. Still going to prerelease

An-Det

Midnight prereleases are for crazy people. I like Magic and all that, but I'll sleep normally, thank you very much.

I did a midnight prerelease once a year or two ago, the first one my store did. As fun as it is, it's too much for me. I'm perfectly fine with getting a good night's sleep and maybe playing two flights on Saturday instead.

bigkrev

Started out 3-0, and a combination of bad luck (never seeing land 3 in game 2) and a missplay induced by sleep depervation (thinking I had BBBB to double cure when I only had BBB) dropped me to 3-1 and 8th/49 players. My deck wasn't very good- a slow U/B deck with no rares but he prerelease card and bad creatures, but powered by double Sea God Revenge and 2 of the tribute steal a creature guy.

The seeded booster is dumb this time around. I chose Blue, and got like 5 blue cards in my pack. Why even bother at that point?

f0rk

Started out 3-0, and a combination of bad luck (never seeing land 3 in game 2) and a missplay induced by sleep depervation (thinking I had BBBB to double cure when I only had BBB) dropped me to 3-1 and 8th/49 players. My deck wasn't very good- a slow U/B deck with no rares but he prerelease card and bad creatures, but powered by double Sea God Revenge and 2 of the tribute steal a creature guy.

The seeded booster is dumb this time around. I chose Blue, and got like 5 blue cards in my pack. Why even bother at that point?
You only play 4 rounds with 49?

I'm 4-1 right now, 2 Fabled Heroes is pretty good

f0rk

We didn't finish till nearly 5 am with 4 rounds. 5 rounds would have been Overkill
They played 6 last night at my store lol.I don't bother with midnight ones prefer going to Saturday Sunday and not being knackered.

Lost my last game at Elspeth both games where I had him dead next turn to a 4/4 fabled hero

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
My event starts at 6pm tonight, so plenty of time for a lot of rounds. Our limit is 40 players, but I presume we will have a few less than that. Should be a ball either way. Not a fan of this new seeded pack format with the prerelease card you can play, but whatever. Guess it is here to stay...

bigkrev

My event starts at 6pm tonight, so plenty of time for a lot of rounds. Our limit is 40 players, but I presume we will have a few less than that. Should be a ball either way. Not a fan of this new seeded pack format with the prerelease card you can play, but whatever. Guess it is here to stay...

M14 was the last time they will ever run a "traditional" pre-release.

You only play 4 rounds with 49?

I'm 4-1 right now, 2 Fabled Heroes is pretty good

Same at my store, we had 45 or so, and they just said that they would play 4 rounds and anyone that went 3-1 or 4-0 would get 7 BNG packs.

And same as the guy before even with only 4 rounds we ended around 5 in the morning!

y2dvd

Did a sealed event again and no money rares this time around. 2-0 so far with R/B which is hella strong so far. Plenty of good creatures and removals to 2 for 1 things.

Is Blue pretty much the best color? Or only this format? I've played other card games where the control archetype has always been the best just due to the powerful nature of control, so I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case.

Kacar

Want to do a new deck. heres what I put together.
Main Deck:
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Precinct Captain
4 Banisher Priest
4 Lyev Skyknight
2 Imposing sovereign
4 Xathrid Necromancer
4 Cartel Aristocrat

2 Ephara, Goddess of the Polis
2 Spear of Heliod
4 Detention Sphere
2 Supreme Verdict

4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of silence
4 Azorius Guildgate
6 Plains
2 Island

Sideboard:
3 Brave the Elements
3 Glare of Heresy
4 Daring Skyjek
2 Ephara's Enlightenment
3 Glimpse the Sun God

Does this seem like it would work, obviously I struggled with the sideboard selections. Brimaz is too expensive and he doesn't go with the human theme, shocklands are too expensive. Any suggestions would be helpful, especially on my mana base. The main other cards I debated were Daxos, Bident and Soul Ransom. How much worse would it be if I dropped the black completely? I think it would make it useless right?

ultron87

I think my MVP today was Ghostblade Eidolon. It was great as either the base of a voltron or the finishing piece. Well that and the 3/3 flying lose a life bestow guy. But I barely drew him.

Karakand

Is Blue pretty much the best color? Or only this format? I've played other card games where the control archetype has always been the best just due to the powerful nature of control, so I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case.

It's the strongest color in any constructed format, really. (Standard variations aside.)

Blue is also a key in combo decks, so its strength doesn't just derive from control being deemed the acceptable archetype to win a broad range of games with.

It's the strongest color in any constructed format, really. (Standard variations aside.)

Blue is also a key in combo decks, so its strength doesn't just derive from control being deemed the acceptable archetype to win a broad range of games with.

Hmm that sounds a bit unfortunate to be honest.

This statement is not true. See Jund/Tron/Pod/Affinity in Modern or Jund/Loam in Legacy. And that's just off the top of my head.

EDIT: I suppose its disingenuous to say blue isn't the strongest color in Legacy. I only mean to say that you're not forced to play blue if you don't want to.

Did any of you guys turn in your "Master Your Destiny" card that came with your prerelease pack? If so, what did your LGS give you as a prize? Mine gave out these little BNG pins.

(potato pic)
3DFAj61.jpg

Tied for 1st at my LGS (though at 32 players, the attendance was lower than usual) for the prerelease event. Got a Xenagos in my sealed pool, and a Kiora from my prize packs, so I'm pretty happy.

Card MVP: Bolt of Keranos
Runner up: Portent of Betrayal

An-Det

Went 3-1 in the first flight today, but man did the wheels come off (and I got a shitty pool) in the second. I paid for both flights using trade-ins so it's all good, plus I cracked two Spirit of the Labyrinth's so I only need to pick up two more. Also upgraded my shitty condition LED's to nice minty ones, so I'm happy.

miniMacGuru

Neo Member
Did any of you guys turn in your "Master Your Destiny" card that came with your prerelease pack? If so, what did your LGS give you as a prize? Mine gave out these little BNG pins.

My store said they ran out of pins for their first event (midnight one), so the Saturday afternoon event didn't get any.

rCIZZLE

Ended up going 3-2 in both prereleases I did. Both started out with me 2-0, then losing a top decking game 3 to the eventual winner, and then getting crushed by red decks that curved perfectly while I stumbled. My breakers were pretty fantastic with 63% and 65% but just couldn't get there record-wise.

I did however get decent money cards which ended up getting vendored to cover fees. Might play in one tomorrow to try and redeem myself. I probably should take a break though since I'll be playing a ton over the next few weekends in GPTs and legacy monthlies.

Yeef

Thought so far:

I've done 3 pre-releases: GW, RG, and BW.

GW didn't play all that differently from from normal Theros, though that could have just been my pool. Mortal's Resolve and Aspect of the Hydra are nice additions. The extra enchantment removal in Revoke and Unravel are nice as well. BNG, overall, seems to have a better removal suite than Theros. It might not make as big a different in draft since it's only one pack, but in this format it makes building up voltrons a little less common.

My RG pool was pretty nuts. Xenagos (god), Forgestoker Dragon, Nessian Wilds Ravager, Searing Blood, Thunder Brute, 2 Fanatic of Xenagos, 2 Swordwise Centaur and 2 Bolt of Keranos. Super-aggressive, lots of big beats.

BW was also lots of fun. The river trawler is pretty good with all the enchantment creatures floating around. Griffin Dreamfiner also worked a lot better than I expected. 1/4 flier for 5 doesn't seem that great, but you almost always seem to get back something that you can bestow onto him the following turn.

Bodied. Went 2-2. My packs were just about all garbage, went WG and didn't get a single creature with reach, a crap-ton of bestow creatures and only two heroic cards(akroan skyguard and a Setessan Oathsworn. No Monstrous cards and no bombs. The only value card I got was a Courser which I wound up trading afterwards for a Temple of Enlightenment.

Useful draft cards I got:

2x Nylea's Emmisary
2x Hopeful Eidolon
2x Glimpse the Sun God
1x Nyxborn Wolf
1x Gods Willing
1x Dauntless Onslaught
1x Ornitharch
1x Griffin Dreamfinder

Sideboard:
2x Setessan Starbreaker
1x Unravel the Aether
1x Culling Mark(for flying-heavy decks)

Pretty solid mid-level strategy where I just voltron out, but no big surprises other than a Hunter's Prowess. I was lucky enough to get a Vanquish the Foul, which tears ass all over promo rares.

The base strategy is good, but when my opponent has a Prognostic Sphinx, Tromokratis and is generating inspired tokens with Springleaf Drum every turn, there's not a lot of answers.

rCIZZLE

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";99284708]Bodied. Went 2-2. My packs were just about all garbage, went WG and didn't get a single creature with reach, a crap-ton of bestow creatures and only two heroic cards(akroan skyguard and a Setessan Oathsworn. No Monstrous cards and no bombs. The only value card I got was a Courser which I wound up trading afterwards for a Temple of Enlightenment.

Useful draft cards I got:

2x Nylea's Emmisary
2x Hopeful Eidolon
2x Glimpse the Sun God
1x Nyxborn Wolf
1x Gods Willing
1x Dauntless Onslaught
1x Ornitharch
1x Griffin Dreamfinder

Sideboard:
2x Setessan Starbreaker
1x Unravel the Aether
1x Culling Mark(for flying-heavy decks)

Pretty solid mid-level strategy where I just voltron out, but no big surprises other than a Hunter's Prowess. I was lucky enough to get a Vanquish the Foul, which tears ass all over promo rares.

The base strategy is good, but when my opponent has a Prognostic Sphinx, Tromokratis and is generating inspired tokens with Springleaf Drum every turn, there's not a lot of answers.[/QUOTE]

Ya man I feel you. One of my opponents went T2 Satyr, T3 Polukranos, and T4 Stormbreath. What do?

I did wound up getting a bunch of solid trades, though. That's the main reason I go to shops other than drafting.

Blood Baron
Godless Shrine x3
Temple of Enlightenment
Gild
Griselbrand
Geist of St Traft
Mikaeus the Unhallowed(for EDH!)
Mistcutter Hydra

And some dude insisted on trading me a temple of mystery for my Dark Ritual.

Top Bottom