• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

f0rk

Gods Willing might be better than Brave the Elements in that deck. It's close but typically you are protecting one dude, and it pumps Fabled Hero.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gods Willing might be better than Brave the Elements in that deck. It's close but typically you are protecting one dude, and it pumps Fabled Hero.

Brave the Elements frequently wins the game on the spot since every creature in the deck is white.

The only card I'm not really happy with is Soldier. He's a nonbo with charms and ghor-clan.

Jaeyden

Horseshit. They're amazing in EDH. There's what, three ways to control a triggered ability in the entire game? You can Stifle, Voidslime, or Time Stop. That's a pretty rare, and powerful effect where people are playing tons of dumb cards with tons of triggered abilities.

Don't forget Trickbind. Bind also, to a lesser extent if your you're looking to counter an activated ability.

ultron87

This comes up time and time again. There is zero precedent for a company being open to litigation after rescinding an internal, informal policy. I'm quite sure there would be people who would try, but do you think multi-billion dollar Hasbro is concerned about that? MaRo has addressed this many times, it's them standing on principle, not being scared of lawyers. He recently did a podcast about the 20 things that were gonna kill Magic. He addressed this at length.

I dunno about "at length". He really just said the "wanna keep our promise" line and that was it. (Transcript here.) There's are times before this where he has said stuff along the lines of not being able to talk about it which suggests to me that there are some behind the scenes issues going on there like directives from their legal department. Obviously that is all pure conjecture and based on quotes from 2010 and 2012 so things could have changed since then.

I really don't expect that they'll ever break the policy unless things really go bad for them and the player base plummets such that they have to try something desperate. Right now they are just fine focusing on Modern and supporting Legacy less and less so that the Reserve List becomes a non-issue from an Organized Play perspective.

Storm Crow is a meme? I'm behind I think.

Check out the Gatherer comments section to get the general idea: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=83282

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I dunno about "at length". He really just said the "wanna keep our promise" line and that was it. (Transcript here.) There's are times before this where he has said stuff along the lines of not being able to talk about it which suggests to me that there are some behind the scenes issues going on there like directives from their legal department. Obviously that is all pure conjecture and based on quotes from 2010 and 2012 so things could have changed since then.

I really don't expect that they'll ever break the policy unless things really go bad for them and the player base plummets such that they have to try something desperate. Right now they are just fine focusing on Modern and supporting Legacy less and less so that the Reserve List becomes a non-issue from an Organized Play perspective.

8 paragraphs and almost 800 words is pretty at length, brah. And yeah, anything we talk about would be conjecture. But until some lawyer can tell me what would actionable about their stance, I'm sticking with what they've actually said, which is that they want to keep their promise. Frankly, they're a company that is scared of change, and one only needs to look at MTGO to see that in bright, blinding action.

But Vintage and Modern Masters gives me hope.

bigkrev

8 paragraphs and almost 800 words is pretty at length, brah. And yeah, anything we talk about would be conjecture. But until some lawyer can tell me what would actionable about their stance, I'm sticking with what they've actually said, which is that they want to keep their promise. Frankly, they're a company that is scared of change, and one only needs to look at MTGO to see that in bright, blinding action.

But Vintage and Modern Masters gives me hope.

This should be giving you as much hope as when Mirage was released on MTGO almost 10 years ago

ultron87

Right, I guess I really meant that he didn't really say anything additional of substance besides reiterating the "we wanna keep our promise" line in a number of ways.

I don't think Vintage Masters should give any hope since they've already "reprinted" plenty of reserved stuff online with the various Masters Edition sets and elsewhere.

WanderingWind

Hope as in they're starting to figure out how to not be afraid of change and how to operate the online landscape independently of the paper one.

And yeah, them "reprinting" such a wide array of restricted cards online is pretty interesting too.

OnPoint

I'll always want a set of paper power. I will likely never have one.

I'm fine with this. I have to be.

But them refusing to reprint cards that are legal in a well-loved and highly played format will always seem strange to me. I understand the logistics of keeping the secondary market alive. But it hurts the players who love the game for it being a game, not for it being a source of income.

bigkrev

Hope as in they're starting to figure out how to not be afraid of change and how to operate the online landscape independently of the paper one.

And yeah, them "reprinting" such a wide array of restricted cards online is pretty interesting too.

If we lived in a world where MTGO was a competent piece of software, they have made great strides in the past few years. The MTGO World Championship pays out like a Pro Tour (40K to 1st place, ect), the MOCS acts as the PTQs for it, but are gated off unless you are willing to play a bunch of MTGO and win QPs. They have also made it possible to jump from MTGO into the real game- The MTGO World champion gets a seat at the MTG World Championship, as well as online PTQs. Recently, they have even added things to help Paper players play online- granting 15 QPs per season to every Gold level player.

Again, this is all held back by the fact that MTGO is a terrible piece of software that cannot stay up in these big tournaments, but on paper, are all great things.

I'll always want a set of paper power. I will likely never have one.

I'm fine with this. I have to be.

But them refusing to reprint cards that are legal in a well-loved and highly played format will always seem strange to me. I understand the logistics of keeping the secondary market alive. But it hurts the players who love the game for it being a game, not for it being a source of income.

Lets say you are a hardcore Legacy/Vintage player. How much Journey into Nyx or Born of the Gods did you need to buy? You probably aren't buying a single pack, just a couple of single playsets. Legacy and Vintage have massive initial investments, but once you are in, the cost to play Magic on a yearly basis becomes significantly less that it does for Drafters/Standard/Modern. Wizards is in the making money business. They need people buying the current product or the game dies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If we lived in a world where MTGO was a competent piece of software, they have made great strides in the past few years. The MTGO World Championship pays out like a Pro Tour (40K to 1st place, ect), the MOCS acts as the PTQs for it, but are gated off unless you are willing to play a bunch of MTGO and win QPs. They have also made it possible to jump from MTGO into the real game- The MTGO World champion gets a seat at the MTG World Championship, as well as online PTQs. Recently, they have even added things to help Paper players play online- granting 15 QPs per season to every Gold level player.

Again, this is all held back by the fact that MTGO is a terrible piece of software that cannot stay up in these big tournaments, but on paper, are all great things.

Lets say you are a hardcore Legacy/Vintage player. How much Journey into Nyx or Born of the Gods did you need to buy? You probably aren't buying a single pack, just a couple of single playsets. Legacy and Vintage have massive initial investments, but once you are in, the cost to play Magic on a yearly basis becomes significantly less that it does for Drafters/Standard/Modern. Wizards is in the making money business. They need people buying the current product or the game dies.

The software works, I guess. The only real problem I have is that it has serious memory leaks.

I think I'm going to stop drafting until Vintage Masters comes out, because that set is going to be fucking expensive to draft. Then again, Innistrad flashback drafts next week....

OnPoint

I don't see how reprinting old cards prohibits new cards from selling. I think it might actually drive sales of new set packs.

But yesterday I noticed something. I turned on the Legacy coverage and saw Snapcaster Mage, Delver of Secrets, Abrupt Decay, Deathrite Shaman and other recently printed cards on camera pretty frequently. New cards are slowly changing the Legacy landscape. They've even spawned whole archetypes like Miracles.

The "hardcore" market is probably never going to buy packs, regardless of what format the cards in the set include.

WanderingWind

Shit, the most hardest of the hardcore don't even buy cards. They get them on loan or through sponsorship.

Casuals run this shit, son.

Firemind

The software works, I guess. The only real problem I have is that it has serious memory leaks.

I think I'm going to stop drafting until Vintage Masters comes out, because that set is going to be fucking expensive to draft. Then again, Innistrad flashback drafts next week....

Innistrad is seriously rad. I have these Kamigawa packs that I'm going to let rot in my collection. :lol

I just do 8-4 cube drafts in the hopes of reaching the finals for a nearly free cube draft and a nearly free flashback draft. Works like a charm.

kirblar

If you are complaining about no ONS fetches here, you are being ridiculous. They'll be reprinted within the next two years.

Angry Grimace

If you are complaining about no ONS fetches here, you are being ridiculous. They'll be reprinted within the next two years.

I don't even really want them in standard all that much. They seem kind of underwhelming if you don't have shocks or duals in the format.

OnPoint

Anyone who doesn't think that is silly. I would go one step farther and say the ZEN fetches are coming in the same block to unite the cycles.

Angry Grimace

I just played a ridiculous combo deck of Fate Unraveler/Master of the Feast/Notion Thief.

Combo: still not a thing in standard.

So I got the Modern Event Deck. Want to start playing modern.

I want to make some changes to it, what do you guys think.
original list - http://www.magicspoiler.com/modern-event-deck-spoiler/

+2 Brimaz
+2 hero of bladehold
(will probably take away raise the alarm for these guys)

-1 elspeth knight +2 elspeth tiriel

Not sure about lands, I've heard of people main boarding ghost quarter and dumping city of brass. Also Godless Shines are top on my list of things to trade for.

Also trying to trade for Thoughtseize.

Also have stony silence and Mirran Crusader for the sideboard.

Any thoughts?

WanderingWind

Angry Grimace said:
4 Dryad Militant
4 Fabled Hero
4 Fleecemane Lion
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Keening Apparition
3 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Voice of Resurgence

Spells

3 Boros Charm
4 Brave the Elements
3 Giant Growth
4 Selesnya Charm

Land

4 Mana Confluence
2 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden
1 Temple of Abandon
3 Temple of Plenty

I don't have the Mana Confluences or Voices in MODO, and I added in Armed//Dangerous but even still...HOLY SHIT THIS DECK IS THE BEST THING EVER. Fabled hero basically eats removal for breakfast, but hitting them with out of nowhere double strike tramplers is amazing.

bigkrev

Not necessarily that. But these reprints don't seem to help much of anything really.
At this point I'm interested in getting a play set of Fax and not too much else I don't think.

The whole point of the set is the draft experience. You aren't supposed to be buying packs of this to crack for fun.
I'd probably have gone as so far as to not even sell individual boosters of the set, and instead only sell it in 12 dollar "Draft packs" that had 3 boosters in it.

The whole point of the set is the draft experience. You aren't supposed to be buying packs of this to crack for fun.
I'd probably have gone as so far as to not even sell individual boosters of the set, and instead only sell it in 12 dollar "Draft packs" that had 3 boosters in it.
I agree.

But I still want.
We want more. We want more.

Angry Grimace

I don't have the Mana Confluences or Voices in MODO, and I added in Armed//Dangerous but even still...HOLY SHIT THIS DECK IS THE BEST THING EVER. Fabled hero basically eats removal for breakfast, but hitting them with out of nowhere double strike tramplers is amazing.

The best part of the deck is the fact that most players are probably not expecting your dinky 2/2 to hit them for 18 on turn 4. Its hilarious. Another reason it works is because players have a tendency to let your weenies pass through early in the game because their life totals are so high they don't consider that you're about to use Giant Growth + Boros Charm to hit them for 10+.

I forgot to post the sideboard:

2 Ajani's Presence
1 Boros Charm
2 Glare of Heresy
1 Gods Willing
2 Keening Apparition
4 Mizzium Mortars
3 Unflinching Courage

WanderingWind

The best part of the deck is the fact that most players are probably not expecting your dinky 2/2 to hit them for 18 on turn 4. Its hilarious. Another reason it works is because players have a tendency to let your weenies pass through early in the game because their life totals are so high they don't consider that you're about to use Giant Growth + Boros Charm to hit them for 10+.

I forgot to post the sideboard:

2 Ajani's Presence
1 Boros Charm
2 Glare of Heresy
1 Gods Willing
2 Keening Apparition
4 Mizzium Mortars
3 Unflinching Courage

Ha. I had a dude drop down to 4 with Pain Seer trigger. Boros Charm to the face and he texted 'I ain't even mad'

I was thinking about Launch the fleet in sideboard. Having an occasional extra attacker can push through some points. They're low, they block the bigger threat and bam, giant growth and boros (which is not an unusual card draw so far).

On another note, WTTF: 4 Mana Confluences and some Voices, plz

OnPoint

The Modern Event Deck is the perfect shell for me to build my Modern mega brew. I'm going to put it together and then see how it runs before outing my idea. It's not one that's never been discussed (though I didn't know that until I pitched it to a friend) but I want to see if it will work before discussing it.

Eats removal for breakfast? How?

WanderingWind

He's at a high enough mana cost where people typically have removal ready for a threat and the 2/2 double striker once you've already established you're playing Naya a Boo Boo, he's a goner.

I cast him thrice, and thrice he was killerated.

Firemind

Why not both?

Stifle is frankly neither of these.

Angry Grimace

The Modern Event Deck is the perfect shell for me to build my Modern mega brew. I'm going to put it together and then see how it runs before outing my idea. It's not one that's never been discussed (though I didn't know that until I pitched it to a friend) but I want to see if it will work before discussing it.

People rarely let you sit around with a double striker on the field because double strike is too dangerous and needs to be answered. But this is why Voice of Resurgence is really good in the deck. Most players are typically very loath to throw removal at you during their own turn.

4 Dryad Militant
4 Fabled Hero
4 Fleecemane Lion
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Keening Apparition
3 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Voice of Resurgence

Spells

3 Boros Charm
4 Brave the Elements
3 Giant Growth
4 Selesnya Charm

Land

4 Mana Confluence
2 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden
1 Temple of Abandon
3 Temple of Plenty

I can make this if I had Mana Confluence.

Jaeyden

I'd probably also have packaged this product like Modern Masters, where 1 box has 8 draft sets.

Yeah but then Lore Seeker becomes kind of a pooper for any group of 8 that bought a box and nothing else. I see it as, 24 for draft + (potential) Lore seeker extra then party prize support. I mean any good group is gonna redraft the rares anyways...right? So Lore Seeker really doesn't cut into the "prize support"

I however, bought some 8th edition boosters because it just had so many solid EDH cards in the rare slot, Fifth Dawn because of the potential artifact shenanigans and Champions...because who doesn't wan't to crack a divining top?

This deck is amazing. You blow people the fuck out constantly out of nowhere. I play this on MTGO and probably get a "WTF" comment like 1/2 the time when Fabled Hero + Giant Growth + Ghor-Clan rips them for like 18 from a 2/2.

The deck is pretty easy to play around once you've seen it, though. Actually makes it less dangerous than other aggro decks or burn for control.

One of the three guys that runs it here uses flamespeakers over militants which is kinda fun.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";114459310]The deck is pretty easy to play around once you've seen it, though. Actually makes it less dangerous than other aggro decks or burn for control.

One of the three guys that runs it here uses flamespeakers over militants which is kinda fun.[/QUOTE]

Explain your reasoning.

Flamespeaker makes no sense at all in this shell. You don't need the card advantage for an aggro deck and you'd have to replace Brave the Elements for Gods Willing, which is less useful in general.

ultron87

Stifle stops all the cards hat involve voting. It has a role in limited for he set, and is properly placed at rare, where it will not show up every draft.

It'll only "stop" the permanents that involve voting by countering the ETB ability. The instants/sorceries don't have a trigger since the voting just happens on resolution.

Explain your reasoning.

Flamespeaker makes no sense at all in this shell. You don't need the card advantage for an aggro deck and you'd have to replace Brave the Elements for Gods Willing, which is less useful in general.

Because there are fewer targets I care about and fewer of your cards are actual threats because it's a combo deck. If I get rid of your Fabled Hero or pithing needle your Ghor Clans the rate you do damage is just so much slower than the other aggressive decks and I can clear the board at a better pace.

It's not like Rakdos Aggro where I have a 90%+ chance of losing every game as an Esper player because of the non-stop haste, if I can get past your initial combo assembly your top decks are complete garbage compared to other lists.

Sure I get blown out by an instant kill every 1/4 games, but I win most of them at a higher margin than you'd expect. That said, I also have a higher win percentage against burn than most control players because of my extra thoughtseize and two barons in the mainboard.

As far as Flamespeaker, I just said it was fun. I actually think it's pretty bad synergy since it already has the traits you're trying to combo into your other creatures with boros charm and ghor clan.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";114461833]Because there are fewer targets I care about and fewer of your cards are actual threats because it's a combo deck. If I get rid of your Fabled Hero or pithing needle your Ghor Clans the rate you do damage is just so much slower than the other aggressive decks and I can clear the board at a better pace.

It's not like Rakdos Aggro where I have a 90%+ chance of losing every game as an Esper player because of the non-stop haste, if I can get past your initial combo assembly your top decks are complete garbage compared to other lists.

Sure I get blown out by an instant kill every 1/4 games, but I win most of them at a higher margin than you'd expect. That said, I also have a higher win percentage against burn than most control players because of my extra thoughtseize and two barons in the mainboard.

As far as Flamespeaker, I just said it was fun. I actually think it's pretty bad synergy since it already has the traits you're trying to combo into your other creatures with boros charm and ghor clan.[/QUOTE]

If you can get past the initial assembly, you'll beat every deck ever. That's how control works, dude.

"I'll Pithing Needle your Ghor-Clan" is about as good of an argument as "I'll side in Glaring Spotlight against Naya hexproof." Pithing Needle isn't even in most sideboards at all.

Top Bottom