• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Firemind

I had fond memories of Odyssey. So many Elephant Ambushes. I also really like Threshold as a mechanic.

Morph mechanic is also pretty rad in Onslaught limited. Too bad Legions and Scourge sucked donkey balls.

Then came Mirrodin and it all went downhill. (I quit Magic for a while.)

Lucario

I had fond memories of Odyssey. So many Elephant Ambushes. I also really like Threshold as a mechanic.

Morph mechanic is also pretty rad in Onslaught limited. Too bad Legions and Scourge sucked donkey balls.

Then came Mirrodin and it all went downhill. (I quit Magic for a while.)

We have very similar taste in sets, except it took me until Darksteel to realize I wanted out for a bit.

Drafted an extremely deep Gb Constellation deck with a somewhat awkward mana curve.

draftuzukr.png

In this situation, where I only have 5 real plays before turn 4, is going to 18 lands justified when my curve stops at 6 and I don't have a huge variety of mana sinks? I also have a ton of cantrips to find lands, but with only a quarter of my creatures hitting below 4 I'll need land to use the cantrips I need to find them.

Crocodile

So I came across the Card Wars game at my LGS. I had no idea it had been turned into a real thing. Is like the game actually good/fun or just a cash in on the Adventure Time episode?

bigkrev

So I came across the Card Wars game at my LGS. I had no idea it had been turned into a real thing. Is like the game actually good/fun or just a cash in on the Adventure Time episode?

There is an iOS/Android version of it. I had no idea what it was (because I don't watch adventure time), downloaded it, and hated it.

Crocodile

Conspiracy is such a weird set. Some AMAZING new cards and reprints and then.......Pillarfield Ox LOL

Still, I give this set Two Thumbs Up and I hope to draft it soon :)

Firemind

Yeah those reprints are kind of weak. Only Stifle and Pernicious Deed see moderate legacy play. Not that I was going to buy any Conspiracy products.

rCIZZLE

I have a somewhat strange question for you guys that are stream monsters. What deck does Joe Lossett (oarsman) play in modern? I see him show up in dailies from time to time but he doesn't have any lists up on mtgtop8/mtggoldfish. Always thought he was legacy only except for SCG standard.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah those reprints are kind of weak. Only Stifle and Pernicious Deed see moderate legacy play. Not that I was going to buy any Conspiracy products.

You're expecting a lot to be disappointed with Stifle, Misdirection, etc.

Firemind

Stifle is only played in RUG I believe? Misdirection is usually a 1-2 of and Pernicious Deed saw play in Team America's old lists, but Abrupt Decay gets the nod now.

Either bring the entry level of legacy and modern down or don't bother. Don't halfass it.

rCIZZLE

Stifle is only played in RUG I believe? Misdirection is usually a 1-2 of and Pernicious Deed saw play in Team America's old lists, but Abrupt Decay gets the nod now.

Either bring the entry level of legacy and modern down or don't bother. Don't halfass it.

Deed and Exploration are alright since they have EDH appeal but Stifle and Misdirection are strictly legacy and a reprint isn't necessary at all. $40 Stifles aren't preventing anybody from building a legacy deck.

Deed and Exploration are alright since they have EDH appeal but Stifle and Misdirection are strictly legacy and a reprint isn't necessary at all. $40 Stifles aren't preventing anybody from building a legacy deck.

Who says that Stifle and Misdirection are only for legacy?

Firemind

That's exactly my point. Stifle didn't need a reprint. Onslaught fetches need a reprint. Wasteland, City of Traitors, Rishadan Port, LED, Goyf, JTMS, Liliana could all use one. And this is the only way to do it, since no one wants to see those cards Standard legal again.

An-Det

I have a somewhat strange question for you guys that are stream monsters. What deck does Joe Lossett (oarsman) play in modern? I see him show up in dailies from time to time but he doesn't have any lists up on mtgtop8/mtggoldfish. Always thought he was legacy only except for SCG standard.

I didn't think he played modern at all, only standard and legacy on stream. I'll have to ask next time I catch his stream.

That's exactly my point. Stifle didn't need a reprint. Onslaught fetches need a reprint. Wasteland, City of Traitors, Rishadan Port, LED, Goyf, JTMS, Liliana could all use one. And this is the only way to do it, since no one wants to see those cards Standard legal again.

Maybe they reprinted Stifle because they wanted people to be able to control triggered abilities in Conspiracy limited? Not every reprint in a non-standard legal set is for quantitative easing in eternal formats.

City of Traitors and LED are on the reserved list, btw.

They're only legal in Vintage, Legacy, and EDH. Not really the type of cards you'd put in your average, fair EDH deck either. Just seems like a lazy way to move product.

Horseshit. They're amazing in EDH. There's what, three ways to control a triggered ability in the entire game? You can Stifle, Voidslime, or Time Stop. That's a pretty rare, and powerful effect where people are playing tons of dumb cards with tons of triggered abilities.

Firemind

Stifle is too narrow in EDH tbh, considering you can only cram 99 cards (minus 32-40 lands) in a given deck. Voidslime and Time Stop are alright.

In limited, yeah, doesn't do much. It's also a rare.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I was vaguely hoping for Liliana of the Veil, but not really expecting it.

bigkrev

They have almost zero incentive to make the legacy barrier lower. They can't reprint Dual lands, and it gets 1-2 GPs a year out of the 40ish they run. They simply were giving some old cards (all of which are EDH playable) a printing in the modern frame with possibility of foils that aren't Judge items.

Angry Grimace

You're going to have to wait for Legacy Masters =V

bigkrev

Just to give you an idea of how they are hamstrung by the Reserved list, both City of Traitors and Lion's Eye Diamond are on it.

If they want to ever push Legacy again, they have to get rid of the reserved list. As it is, they are perfectly happy to leave the format to SCG Opens for another year or so until they switch to Modern, and leaving the Reserved List in place. Remember, it was only a few years ago that they closed the hole on the Reserved List for foils, which was letting them print cards like Mox Diamond, Masticore, and Karn, Silver Golem in From the Vault with the special foil process.

Firemind

They have almost zero incentive to make the legacy barrier lower. They can't reprint Dual lands, and it gets 1-2 GPs a year out of the 40ish they run. They simply were giving some old cards (all of which are EDH playable) a printing in the modern frame with possibility of foils that aren't Judge items.

And let SCG reap the profits.

S'pose it's time for that bubble to pop.

bigkrev

And let SCG reap the profits.

S'pose it's time for that bubble to pop.

The ONLY reason SCG hasn't switched to Modern is because they can still make money buying and selling legacy cards. And if you thought Modern prices were high now, just you wait till it starts on the SCG circuit. I would not be surprised if you had the occasional Sunday outdraw the Saturday event, and, If it were running for a few months and we still had no sign of fetch reprints, Misty and Tarn hitting $200 each.

Angry Grimace

Just to give you an idea of how they are hamstrung by the Reserved list, both City of Traitors and Lion's Eye Diamond are on it.

If they want to ever push Legacy again, they have to get rid of the reserved list. As it is, they are perfectly happy to leave the format to SCG Opens for another year or so until they switch to Modern, and leaving the Reserved List in place. Remember, it was only a few years ago that they closed the hole on the Reserved List for foils, which was letting them print cards like Mox Diamond, Masticore, and Karn, Silver Golem in From the Vault with the special foil process.

The answer is that they don't care about Legacy very much.

Firemind

Wait, Masticore, a card that hasn't been relevant for over ten years, is on the reserve list?

*checks reserve list*

Are you fucking kidding me? Who is in charge of this list? There are cards on that list that aren't even worth $1.

ultron87

Ooh, Deed. That's one of my favorite cards that I've always wanted to have for EDH or whatever but couldn't bring myself to pay 20 bucks for it.

I'm really amused by the Altar of Dementia reprint. Considering Living Death is in the same set, that could make for some backbreaking games if you get lucky in draft.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wait, Masticore, a card that hasn't been relevant for over ten years, is on the reserve list?

*checks reserve list*

Are you fucking kidding me? Who is in charge of this list? There are cards on that list that aren't even worth $1.

Heh. The reserve list was a knee jerk reaction that just blindly reserved a ton of cards.

"The current list of Reserved Cards includes: (1) all cards from Alpha/Beta
Editions that do not appear in Fourth Edition or Ice Age(TM); (2) all
uncommon and rare cards from Arabian Nights and Antiquities that have not
yet been reprinted in white border (i.e., that do not appear in Revised(TM)
[Third Edition], Fourth Edition, or Chronicles); and (3) all rare cards
from Legends and The Dark that have not yet been reprinted in white border.
Appended to this Magic: The Gathering(R) Card Reprint Policy is a current
list of all Reserved Cards."

Angry Grimace

*checks reserve list*

The Reserved List is just random cards that happened to not get reprinted early on.

OnPoint

Ooh, Deed. That's one of my favorite cards that I've always wanted to have for EDH or whatever but couldn't bring myself to pay 20 bucks for it.

Sucks for me because I pony'd up for a playset like 4 months ago. But eh, what can you do, can't win em all. I'd prefer they print all the cards over again, and I just finished my set of Duals. So to hell with value, I want to play all the things.

Angry Grimace

For some reason I thought the reserved list consisted of cards restricted/banned in vintage/legacy. smh

Nah, that's the Restricted List.

The Reserved list are just cards that they put on there based on whether they got reprinted in some specific amount of time considering the rarity. They actually took the uncommons and commons from Limited Edition off the list in 2002. There's only one "valuable" card on that list, which is Sinkhole.

Also, this Brave Naya list I jacked off the internet is probably one of the most amusing Standard decks I've played this block:

Creatures

4 Dryad Militant
4 Fabled Hero
4 Fleecemane Lion
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Keening Apparition
3 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Voice of Resurgence

Spells

3 Boros Charm
4 Brave the Elements
3 Giant Growth
4 Selesnya Charm

Land

4 Mana Confluence
2 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden
1 Temple of Abandon
3 Temple of Plenty

Back to back turn 4 blowouts of a U/W/x control player feels good, man.

bigkrev

For some reason I thought the reserved list consisted of cards restricted/banned in vintage/legacy. smh

Nope, and until 2002, all the uncommons from Alpha were on the list as well. They ran a vote and took them off, allowing them to reprint cards like Clone, Juggernaut, Demonic Tutor, Regrowth, Psionic Blast, and Dwarven Demolition Team.

Until Urza's Desteny, they were still adding a large percentage of Rares from each set, but were holding some back to reprint in the future. Nothing after Masques will ever be placed on the list.

They have mentioned in the past that every now and then they have to kill a 1WW Flying First Strike 2/2 put in for Limited because Thunder Spirit is somehow on the list.

Powder Keg was another card that got around the restriction of the list in the past by being a Players Reward promo foil

WanderingWind

Ironically, the Vintage Masters thing opens up a neat little loophole. They've already relaxed the rule with the "reprinting" of reserve cards. On the 25th anniversary, they'll announce the company is going in a new directions and they're abolishing the reserve list. Some trolls and 5 old, crusty 40-year old jerks will bitch. Hasbro will laugh as they now have a license to print money at will.

All will be well with the world.

Angry Grimace

I think I'm going to try that list out. But with -1 Brave and +1 Charm, because I just love that card so much.

This deck is amazing. You blow people the fuck out constantly out of nowhere. I play this on MTGO and probably get a "WTF" comment like 1/2 the time when Fabled Hero + Giant Growth + Ghor-Clan rips them for like 18 from a 2/2.

ultron87

Ironically, the Vintage Masters thing opens up a neat little loophole. They've already relaxed the rule with the "reprinting" of reserve cards. On the 25th anniversary, they'll announce the company is going in a new directions and they're abolishing the reserve list. Some trolls and 5 old, crusty 40-year old jerks will bitch. Hasbro will laugh as they now have a license to print money at will.

I think they are more worried about getting their pants sued off then they are about people complaining. (I have no idea if they can actually get sued for that.)

Angry Grimace

Japanese players rejoice at Conspiracy having Scaled Wurm. (Apparently, Scaled Wurm is the Japanese equivalent to Storm Crow in terms of being a meme)

bigkrev

Reserved List has never applied to digital games, which is why they can print Mox Sapphire in DOTP 2012 and have brand new art for all the Dual Lands in MTGO cube

WanderingWind

I think they are more worried about getting their pants sued off then they are about people complaining.

This comes up time and time again. There is zero precedent for a company being open to litigation after rescinding an internal, informal policy. I'm quite sure there would be people who would try, but do you think multi-billion dollar Hasbro is concerned about that? MaRo has addressed this many times, it's them standing on principle, not being scared of lawyers. He recently did a podcast about the 20 things that were gonna kill Magic. He addressed this at length.

EDIT: Don't want to look for this later

4 Dryad Militant
4 Fabled Hero
4 Fleecemane Lion
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Keening Apparition
3 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Voice of Resurgence

Spells

3 Boros Charm
4 Brave the Elements
3 Giant Growth