• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Born was a crappy set to draft first because of color balance issues, and Triple Theros just had too many Ordeals floating about. The color balance of Born still rears its head a little bit - drafting red can be tricky in the full block because even if your neighbor to your right cuts it completely in Journey, it can still be correct to move into red just for pack two if you haven't solidified your second color yet.

This is exactly what is going on in my work draft right now. I went hard red in pack one, the guy to my left was in white, and then pack two he decided to go white/red. No Fall of the Hammers for me :(

Still, 2-1 and 2-0 in my first two matches, so it worked out ok (1 Grim Guardian + 2 Forepoint Oreads + lots of enchantments + removal)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";114735409]What do you have?[/QUOTE]

About a billion paper cards that I almost never play with any longer. No fetches though...lol.

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";114749005]Oh, wanna sell them at a fellow gaffer discount? ^_^[/QUOTE]

Lol. Trading for tix is already a discount! You got dem digital lands, man? I need a hit of them Voices too.

The Adder

Banned
I'd like to see a mechanic wherein the card's effect changed based on the type of mana used to pay for it. They could make new mana symbols for it like they did Phyrexian mana. And it'd be interesting in, say, a wedge block.

For example:

Wedge Bore

B(R)(W)2

Destroy target creature on the field

If white mana was used to cast this spell, change all instances of target to each

If red mana was used to cast this spell change all instances of creature to creature or Planeswalker

Jaeyden

Ravnica
Image.ashx

Just plunked this into Jor Kadeen deck tonight.

gerg

I'd like to see a mechanic wherein the card's effect changed based on the type of mana used to pay for it. They could make new mana symbols for it like they did Phyrexian mana. And it'd be interesting in, say, a wedge block.

For example:

Wedge Bore

B(R)(W)2

If white mana was used to cast this spell, change all instances of target to each

If red mana was used to cast this spell change all instances of creature to creature or Planeswalker

Granted that everything is Kicker, isn't that just Kicker (but with extra rules issues regarding the card's CMC)?

gerg

It's not paying extra, it's using a particular color for the colorless cost part of the spell

Ah, well then I was confused by the formatting of the example.

Seems like something that would be complicated by special mana symbols, when rules text would work just fine.

Firemind

This is the second time I punted a match because I forgot on turn x I had a Hellspark Elemental in my graveyard.

I'd like to blame the MODO interface, but I feel part of it is my fault. This is exactly why I don't play graveyard-based decks. :lol

Anybody know good cards in Grixis that work off a creature's power offhand? I'm trying to up the synergy of my new commander deck.

imagebfiy1.jpg
imageeadqc.jpg
imageaki9e.jpg

I also need a plethora of cheap token makers so I can actually cast the dude. Too bad Lingering Souls is White.

edit: looks like this is a solid choice:

ooXnNjr.jpg

As well as cheap creatures with undying or recursion to sack to tresserhorn's ability.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";114811246]Anybody know good cards in Grixis that work off a creature's power offhand? I'm trying to up the synergy of my new commander deck.

I also need a plethora of cheap token makers so I can actually cast the dude. Too bad Lingering Souls is White.[/QUOTE]

Off of the top of my head, a recent one is Disciple of Bolas. You should also get stuff that triggers off of things dying (Innistrad is chock full of these sorts of things, like Blood Artist). And stuff that cheaply/easily recurs I guess? Like Reassembling Skeleton or even better - Bloodghast. And Skullclamp! And Bitterblossom!

Cheap token makers off of the top of my head: Krenko's Command, Dragon Fodder, Mogg War Marshall, Talrand's Invocation, Moan of the Unhallowed, Empty the Warrens (eh), Wakedancer, Bloodline Keeper (pretty slow)...

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";114811246]Anybody know good cards in Grixis that work off a creature's power offhand? I'm trying to up the synergy of my new commander deck.[/QUOTE]

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

A couple fun suggestions.

Wow those are some great suggestions guys. Thanks!

Surestrike Trident is silly awesome with THE LORD. I also need two copies of Bloodghast, one for my Erebos deck as well.

I'm thinking about adding Genesis Chamber since I have a bunch from my old affinity troll deck. If I stack the triggers I only need to sack one creature off THE LORD with it.

Wait, he's a zombie? How does casting your commander from the Command Zone interact with Rooftop Storm? I'm going to assume it doesn't work in the way I would hope it does.

I think it does work that way. Still need to pay 2 for each extra time you've cast it, I think.

Edit: yep. Totally works. Sick. I need one in my Grimgrin deck like yesterday.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

For example:

Wedge Bore

B(R)(W)2

Yup, Shadowmoor and Eventide had these, leading to one of my favorite Commander games ever in which my friend, who had gotten cocky with his Rhys the Redeeemed deck, swung at me with like twenty elves on turn five and I was playing the new deck I built specifically to counter him and played this:

Image.ashx

EDIT: For Grixis
Image.ashx

The Technomancer said:

That's good for Prossh too!
I'd like to have that in play with Blood Artist. Kobolds would be racking up the damage on their way in, on their way out and in between.

Edit, actually that would only work if they had a buff on them too maybe? I forgot they are 0/1

I think it does work that way. Still need to pay 2 for each extra time you've cast it, I think.

Edit: yep. Totally works. Sick. I need one in my Grimgrin deck like yesterday.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at - it doesn't reduce the extra Commander cost. So you can't repeatedly cast it from the command zone for 0. Still pretty sweet though.

Thanks again guys, ordered a stack of cards including a bunch of your suggestions(the cheap ones anyways!).

Pretty soon I'll have an unblockable LORD swinging with the best of 'em. Maybe I'll try to trade for some of the nicer cards next time I hit FNM.

Firemind

I always wanted to make a Lord of Tresserhorn EDH deck. I would make it an assemble Voltron type of deck to deal 20 general damage with cheap token producers and Attrition to win the creature matchups. Nekusar, the Mindrazer is also a pretty sweet legend that combines well with the ETB trigger. Kind of conflicted which lich king to choose for a general to be honest.

WanderingWind

If the next commander product doesn't have a damn BUG zombie legend, I'm going to write MaRo a sternly worded inquiry.

Stern.

The Technomancer

Burn at the Stake is ridiculously good in Commander, by the way. Like, ridiculously good. I run it in a Marath deck where its pretty easy to hit ten tokens and then just kill the last opponent standing.

I always wanted to make a Lord of Tresserhorn EDH deck. I would make it an assemble Voltron type of deck to deal 20 general damage with cheap token producers and Attrition to win the creature matchups. Nekusar, the Mindrazer is also a pretty sweet legend that combines well with the ETB trigger. Kind of conflicted which lich king to choose for a general to be honest.

Why would you need Nekusar when all you're really trying to do is ram in 21 Commander damage asap?

Here's one of my favorite enablers:
imageb9sq9.jpg

Firemind

I just like the art of Nekusar. Reminds me of Arthas when he became a Lich King.

But yeah, Tresserhorn is much radder as a general. Don't forget Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots!

ultron87

I'd probably run Phage as another way to use all that unblockable stuff to kill, assuming I had a good feeling on whether the people I'm playing with would get mad about that or not.

Firemind

He's playing Lord Tresserhorn, not Uril, the fuck you can't touch me Miststalker.

Though I suppose with black he can tutor up stuff more easily and set up Voltron.

The Technomancer

He's playing Lord Tresserhorn, not Uril, the fuck you can't touch me Miststalker.

Though I suppose with black he can tutor up stuff more easily and set up Voltron.

Uril is annoying, but not quite as annoying as my friend's other Aura deck, Zur, the Enchanter. Once he gets Vanishing on Zur he's nigh impossible to kill.

Firemind

Oh, no one plays Zur around here unless he wants to be labeled as an asshole.

Same goes for Azami, Erayo, Jhoira and a few others.

I got hated out of the game a ton when Jhoira was the general of my Cones and Forks deck just because of her reputation. It's been much smoother sailing since I switched to Nin, the Pain Artist.

OnPoint

I got hated out of the game a ton when Jhoira was the general of my Cones and Forks deck just because of her reputation. It's been much smoother sailing since I switched to Nin, the Pain Artist.

I get hated out whenever I play my Uril deck. People fucking hate that dude.

The Technomancer

Haha said friend had each of those as annoying decks at one point. He had a fucking Child of Alara deck that was exactly as fun as you think a couple months back, but I think he got over it pretty quickly

I'm actually putting together a Commander deck now; I'm not particularly interested in the format, but there have been enough cases where it would have been good to have one just to participate here or there. So I'm building a Prime Speaker Zegana deck because a) I love fatties b) I love drawing cards c) I love durdling.

My friend bought the Modern Event Deck and for him, not having any Modern staples it's pretty cool.

He also bought the Journey into Nyx event deck. I liked it and realized it's basically a UR Delver deck minus the Delvers. You could turn it into a Modern viable deck pretty easily I think.

rCIZZLE

This is exactly why I don't play EDH. Everybody wants to do their own mean spirited shit but hates when you try to do anything besides watch them "go off" with some "janky" (god i hate that word) combo they saw on reddit.

WanderingWind

I played that Naya deck with giant growths and what not (minus 2 Fabled Hero, because you never catch them off guard with a double striker and plus 2 Armed//Dangerous) IRL for the first time. I think I'm going to stick with it until rotation...lol. So fun and so stupid.

I played that Naya deck with giant growths and what not (minus 2 Fabled Hero, because you never catch them off guard with a double striker and plus 2 Armed//Dangerous) IRL for the first time. I think I'm going to stick with it until rotation...lol. So fun and so stupid.

This is the "bloodrush ghor-clan, give double strike with boros charm" deck, right?

Wichu

I finished exams yesterday. I think it's time to dismantle my Nekusar deck and rebuild Nicol Bolas.

Also I should rebuild Ink-Treader Nephilim. It can be legendary if it wants :(

Top Bottom