• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

223.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sure you can

Avacyn Restored

Avacyn Restored had some really cool designs actually. I have pretty fond impressions of that set. I think that they balanced it poorly, but the flickering focus, Miracles, and Soulbond both gave us some great individual cards

Now Born of the Gods, there's a set with like...two cards I will ever care about.

bigkrev

Avacyn Restored had some really cool designs actually. I have pretty fond impressions of that set. I think that they balanced it poorly, but the flickering focus, Miracles, and Soulbond both gave us some great individual cards

Now Born of the Gods, there's a set with like...two cards I will ever care about.
I'm guessing you didn't play limited

For those unfamiliar with Planar Chaos lands with Modern relevance:
Image.ashx

Nice! I have been trying a casual U/B Hecatomb / Sundial deck and the price on it normally was a little outrageous for me ($20+/card). Do reprints normally mean that the price goes down? Or does it go up because it becomes playable in other formats?

Jaeyden

Yup. Kirb never misses a beat :)

shrapnelmagnet said:
Nice! I have been trying a casual U/B Hecatomb / Sundial deck and the price on it normally was a little outrageous for me ($20+/card). Do reprints normally mean that the price goes down? Or does it go up because it becomes playable in other formats?

Much easier to get, the price is going Doowwwwwn. A bit, for a while, lol it will drop some.

red13th

They should reprint Kor Haven and some of those old ass Legendary Lands (that aren't on the reserved list) to complete the cycle.
Urborg is a pleasant surprise, it's a really nice card.

rCIZZLE

Part of me kinda hopes they never reprint the Fetches. Every generation needs it's own money cards.

I want them to just do a FTV style set with the same horrible foiling process. It'll finally put to rest this "inevitable reprint soon" nonsense that anybody who wants fetches always says.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118420931]Uhh... no they don't.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think so either, but then my playsets of Ports, Cradles and stuff blew up in price. It's a joy that everyone should experience. :D

You kids and your imaginary cards.

I didn't think so either, but then my playsets of Ports, Cradles and stuff blew up in price. It's a joy that everyone should experience. :D

Playing cards that work in your deck without being arbitrarily priced out is a joy that everyone should experience. Legacy Reanimator is one of my favorite decks, but I'll never be able to enter a tournament with it because TCG low for the cards I need is $2600.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118345460]"Fuck the old client fans, fuck XP users, here's a free prerelease draft so shut up already"[/QUOTE]

To be fair: Windows XP has been "end of life"/dead for about three-four months when this releases. There's no excuse to still be on XP outside of being a complete cheapass at this point. You aren't getting future security updates, your time online is numbered.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
One day, that effect will be G, and Instant and it'll be playable.

Maybe.

Painlands? Yeesh.

What I really want are enemy Fastlands.

EDIT: And yet it seems the community is super excited about these. Am I missing something? These have always just seemed...fine, but not exciting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Painlands? Yeesh.

What I really want are enemy Fastlands.

EDIT: And yet it seems the community is super excited about these. Am I missing something? These have always just seemed...fine, but not exciting.
I wish they worked more like mana confluence, mostly because the trigger requires more shit on the stack and takes longer on MODO.

Firemind

Played some online matches with the U/R devotion list from ChannelFireball with a couple of changes:
- Removed the Izzet Charms and added two more Turn // Burns. I figure Izzet Charm is more reactive while the deck wants to unload spells. It's also a better spell when you reveal it with Prophetic Flamespeaker. Plus, it can deal with Master of Waves somewhat.
- Replaced Chandra and Fanatic of Mogis with two Ral Zarek and a Keranos. Ral Zarek can kill x/2 and x/3 creatures, can remove blockers too and can possibly ramp to some crazy chains with a Nykthos. Just wanted to test Keranos.
- Added more lands to a total of 25; 22 really is not enough to keep casting stuff.

My findings:
- Keranos is pretty damn sweet. Won a few games solely after I animated it and kept drawing two cards/burning for three.
- Prophetic Flamespeaker with a Gorgon's Head is incredible if uncontested. Izzet Staticaster is an excellent target too, especially with a Ral Zarek. pewpew
- The real MVP is Stormbreath Dragon. Fast clock. Wow. Many beats.

Will do a few standard dailies and report back.

noquarter

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118421327]You kids and your imaginary cards.

Playing cards that work in your deck without being arbitrarily priced out is a joy that everyone should experience. Legacy Reanimator is one of my favorite decks, but I'll never be able to enter a tournament with it because TCG low for the cards I need is $2600.[/QUOTE]
Not to sound like too much of an ass, but couldn't you try to slowly make the deck? If you did $100 a month for two years, you're there. Start on the Reserved List cards, then on other pieces, leaving Fetches and Targets last, since they could be reprinted or change due to better options.

Personally, I like having cards that are out of reach unless I work at it. Gives me something to try to get, and keeps me from just going out and getting whatever is the hottest deck to play. In the meantime, I play with other cards and try things I might not have tried otherwise.

rexor0717

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118424789]LOL, I just bought out all the painlands at my LGS for a buck each to make commander decks.[/QUOTE]

I just sold all my painlands yesterday. Fuck.

Not to sound like too much of an ass, but couldn't you try to slowly make the deck? If you did $100 a month for two years, you're there. Start on the Reserved List cards, then on other pieces, leaving Fetches and Targets last, since they could be reprinted or change due to better options.

Personally, I like having cards that are out of reach unless I work at it. Gives me something to try to get, and keeps me from just going out and getting whatever is the hottest deck to play. In the meantime, I play with other cards and try things I might not have tried otherwise.

I just don't think it's worth spending $2600 on a magic card deck. That's a great vacation, or two months of rent. 87 Italian meals. Magic is a game to me, not an investment.

noquarter

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118444454]I just don't think it's worth spending $2600 on a magic card deck. That's a great vacation, or two months of rent. 87 Italian meals. Magic is a game to me, not an investment.[/QUOTE]
Eh, its a game to me as well. Never suggested you look at it as an investment, just as a hobby. I've yet to buy cards thinking I will make money on them, just bought them as a part of my hobby.

And your right, that much money could buy a lot of things, same with the amount of money some people on here spend on games, or people spend on customizing their vehicles, or buying comics, or anything else that is a hobby. Part of most hobbies is spending money. If you enjoy it though, then it should be worth it.

Part of what I like about the prices being all over is that I don't just have to buy a deck, I have to look for the pieces that will make my deck. I spend time actively hunting for Magic cards, trying to get a deal and make my hobby dollars stretch. I enjoy reading about decks I can't afford, watching videos of them, seeing different matchups, searching for cards, making trades to get the pieces I want, trying to find the best replacement for cards I can't find or afford. Playing is one aspect, reading/searching is another.

If they really get too crazy with reprints, I'll just get rid of almost everything besides my cube and a couple decks and reserved list cards knowing that I can buy in super cheap later. Maybe get more serious about collecting coins, a hobby that still provides the thrill of the hunt.

Constricting Sliver 5W
Slivers you control have "Whenever this creature enters the battlefield, exile target creature an opponent controls until this creature leaves the battlefield."
3/3

Haly

I guess this is the new direction for slivers: just attach spells to them.

Can't wait for Lightning Bolt Sliver.

Haly

Yuck.

But then again, I'd be pretty annoyed if they decided to push Jace (again) while marginalizing other PWs.

Yeef

Hushwing Gryff is a card I've always wanted to exist. Now it does <3.

I'm gonna grab as many of them as I can, because I suspect it may see some sideboard play in lots of formats.

bigkrev

Did they forget to put "Put the other one in your hand"? on Jace?

I won't discount it because it protects itself and that is a powerful Ultimate, but mmmmaaaannnnn that is dissapointing

This Jace is what happens when you take Jace 2.0, and remove everything good about him. I mean, the similarities are astonishing.

This is Jace, The Castrated Mind Sculptor.

Top Bottom