• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Fuzzery

Assemble the legion is one of the best bombs in limited. Almost guaranteed win condition, and not much deals with it. In standard? Too slow.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Sure. I'm okay at standard brews but I'm a fucking idiot when it comes to draft strategy. I mean, the decks I end up with, were they horses, would be shot to be put out of their misery.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of ditching the guild gates anyway they just tend to slow me down. Will try the mizzium mortars, thanks. And yeah I might ditch assemble the legion and burn at the stake, I think I've just been too focused on using those two together it's slowing me down too much. Although that combo had won me a lot of games if I can get there.

kirblar

Assemble the legion is one of the best bombs in limited. Almost guaranteed win condition, and not much deals with it. In standard? Too slow.
It's not too slow in Standard, but it's very matchup-dependant. There are some that it blows open if it lasts 2 turns.

Zocano

Hi MagicGAF,

just dropping by to say hi and stuff. Wanted to brag a bit cause I just got back from FNM and had a wonky trade and stuff.

First I'm rolling BG Zombies right now cause when I was finally putting together a standard deck I wanted to either go Jund or BG and Zombies a bit easier for me to throw together than decent Jund. Apparently Zombies is hated around here? I've only been keeping up with the thread for a bit so I'm just going to accept any "Boo's" and laugh while I maul you with gravecrawlers and Geralf's. Is it just because it's cheap and dirty? I'm not sure that's all there is behind it or maybe because zombies was crazy back in Ravnica (I finally picked Magic back up about a year or so ago? Mostly played limited cause I didn't have much new stuff -- I played a tiny bit back in 8th edition and when Mirrodin block was first out but I was 12 or something and didn't play or collect much).

Anyway, I went 2-2 (this is my second FNM; I went 2-2 the first time as well) but in my heart I went 3-1. There are a few rules that keep going over my head and basically what happened in the final match was that I used Bloodthrone Vampire's sac ability on my other 4 creatures (I had a Blood Artist out and he had 4 life). However he had Gisela and both of us made the error that we forgot it's life loss from Blood Artist and not damage and so he didn't go down to 0 (Because if it was damage Gisela's ability would trigger and 1 damage is prevented so 0 damage goes through for each trigger) and I lost cause he top decked Thunderous Wrath and swooped with Gisela and I was frustrated/sad for the rest of the time. I went over this with a judge there and basically since we went to his turn without applying the life loss that we couldn't go back a turn officially. Ah well. I think that's the mistake I make the most often (forgetting that Life Loss =/= Damage).

However, my night was finally made when it came time for prize packs. My friend went 4-0 and got a 5th pack from a friend and traded all 5 to me for my thragtusk (2.50 a pack which is fine for the $15 thragtusk) for his cube which we all use so I was fine with the trade.

I ended up pulling from those 5:

1 Foil Sacred Foundry
1 Godless Shrine
1 Watery Grave

and I got a Stomping Ground from one of my 2 prize packs. Amongst my friends who play magic, they keep saying how I have silly luck with cracking packs.

Lucario

Apparently, last night I thought it'd be a good idea to make a superfriends deck around Scion of the Ur-Dragon.

French banlist, competitive, 1v1
Dragon tribal (no creatures but dragons, shitloads in the deck)
Only dragon and planeswalker related win conditions
No combos.

It's.... impossible to win with this in multiplayer, but holy shit, it's fun. Tamiyo ults don't even go anywhere it's so unsynergistic and slow, though.

I'm not well-versed on cards enough to build a deck of my own, which is why I ask a decent amount of help in here. But I'm getting annoyed that a lot of sites only have deck suggestions based off of what is legal in certain sets. I'm playing games with my friends---we don't care about "legal". Anyone know a good site with deck suggestions that doesn't seem hindered by users only concerned with FNM?

kirblar

I'm not well-versed on cards enough to build a deck of my own, which is why I ask a decent amount of help in here. But I'm getting annoyed that a lot of sites only have deck suggestions based off of what is legal in certain sets. I'm playing games with my friends---we don't care about "legal". Anyone know a good site with deck suggestions that doesn't seem hindered by users only concerned with FNM?
You'll want casual forums - Standard/Modern are both restricted to certain "eras". EDH is eternal, but has a ban-list.

Grakl

Apparently, last night I thought it'd be a good idea to make a superfriends deck around Scion of the Ur-Dragon.

No combos.

It's.... impossible to win with this in multiplayer, but holy shit, it's fun. Tamiyo ults don't even go anywhere it's so unsynergistic and slow, though.

Sounds like my kind of deck.

Amaron

Banned
I'm a bit new at Magic, been playing for around two months. My main deck is a Green centered around Primordial Hydra. I also have other cards that allow me to search for creatures with infect and trample. Due to this, I can either focus on pooling mana to get a super-epic Primordial Hydra, or work with poison because I have a creature that spawns infect 1/1 creature tokens at the beginning of my upkeep for every poison counter on my opponent(s). I also have a small wolf combo with parallel lives that work for the attacking wolf token spamming card I have and the mentioned infect token creature.

That being said, my friend runs a Black/White that's really field wiping centered. He has stuff like of Day of Judgement and Phanalax Rebirth. Any suggestions for some modifications/additions to a Green to help combat this type of deck?

WanderingWind

I'm a bit new at Magic, been playing for around two months. My main deck is a Green centered around Primordial Hydra. I also have other cards that allow me to search for creatures with infect and trample. Due to this, I can either focus on pooling mana to get a super-epic Primordial Hydra, or work with poison because I have a creature that spawns infect 1/1 creature tokens at the beginning of my upkeep for every poison counter on my opponent(s). I also have a small wolf combo with parallel lives that work for the attacking wolf token spamming card I have and the mentioned infect token creature.

That being said, my friend runs a Black/White that's really field wiping centered. He has stuff like of Day of Judgement and Phanalax Rebirth. Any suggestions for some modifications/additions to a Green to help combat this type of deck?

G/W exalted! When you're only laying down a card at a time, who cares if he wipes the board! Also, Predator Ooze!

ultron87

If you can splash some black in Golgari Charms regenerate mode counters a wrath. There is probably some mono green card that does the same thing.

WanderingWind

Wind you should start posting screen caps of your deck/sideboard, we can try to help you up your drafting game :)

I'll do that. I plan on drafting 1-2 games this evening. I had a decent deck last night, boros aggro. But the lack of removal in GTC means the entire game is basically who can slap down the biggest fatty.

My other 2 drafts that day? I just should've quit after drafting, the picks were so bad. So bad.

OnPoint

No legacy today feels bad. Guess this is a preview of when they drop it to once a month. :\

I know more people would play if the prices weren't so high. I wish I could afford to play Legacy, but a competitive deck costs so damn much. I always enjoy watching though.

kirblar

They should add Modern
It's likely in the works for 2014. Format's very close to ready for that type of exposure.

I know more people would play if the prices weren't so high. I wish I could afford to play Legacy, but a competitive deck costs so damn much. I always enjoy watching though.
MTGO is Legacy's future. The reserved list just kills it IRL.

OnPoint

It still mangles my brain that they don't at the very least revise the reserved list to make things a little easier. I feel like suffocating the entire format beneath its own entry cost is just as harmful to the game as bottoming out secondary market prices.

kirblar

It still mangles my brain that they don't at the very least revise the reserved list to make things a little easier. I feel like suffocating the entire format beneath its own entry cost is just as harmful to the game as bottoming out secondary market prices.
They don't want to deal with the costs of litigation here. Sadly, I can't blame them.

WanderingWind

There is no basis for a litigation from an entertainment company changing an internal policy. This is a bullshit excuse they've thrown around for years.

Whiny collector - "Your honor, Wizards of the Coast said they weren't going to reprint these particular cards. But then, decades later, they made a new policy stating they could! As a result, I lost absolutely nothing, but feel entitled to talk about the future money I may have mad, had I sold them. Because, as we all know, collectors items always lose value when newer versions come out!"

Judge - *wonders where his life went wrong*

rCIZZLE

Depends what you consider competitive. Decks like jund and stoneblade are costly but fish, belcher, UR burn, dredge, and some fringe decks are in the cost range of top tier standard decks. Of course this would change if legacy became a FNM format and Wizards was too lazy to make some drastic changes to card availability.

$100 digital LEDs and the like kind of kills the idea of playing legacy on MTGO for me.

kirblar

There is no basis for a litigation from an entertainment company changing an internal policy. This is a bullshit excuse they've thrown around for years.

Whiny collector - "Your honor, Wizards of the Coast said they weren't going to reprint these particular cards. But then, decades later, they made a new policy stating they could! As a result, I lost absolutely nothing, but feel entitled to talk about the future money I may have mad, had I sold them. Because, as we all know, collectors items always lose value when newer versions come out!"

Judge - *wonders where his life went wrong*
They still have to pay the lawyers.

Hex

Banned
So anyone else expecting asinine spoilers tonight / tomorrow? April Fools and all.
Salvation eats the shit up. Since we are less than a month from the pre release I was hopeful to look at daily mtg tonight until I remembered the date.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wizards: We're removing the restricted list, and introducing a new Legacy Legends product line in the vein Modern Masters, both which will be in circulation forever.

Also we're unbanning everything in Modern.

April fools!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, the flag announcement and the MTGO thing were obvious, but the Making Magic article had me going for most of it, and I was kind of terrified

They're trying non-Legacy formats (that aren't Modern, so they don't freak their Legacy base out) in 5 locations that have gotten sub-200 players for the format in 2012, and 1 Team Tournament in NJ.

Oh, that seems fine. I was gonna say. If they are ditching legacy for standard both days, I'd be selling my collection...

again

kirblar

how many people showed up Sunday?

having kids and the price of staying relevant in standard has really pushed me more towards the eternal formats. that would really be a deal breaker for me
Under 200, but it was also Easter. Florida has a history of bad Legacy turnouts for them though.

ultron87

It really confuses me that they don't just go hog wild "printing" Legacy stuff on MTGO. Like it would have to make Wizards money if they ran Masters Edition drafts fairly often, right? (Unless they actually do this and I just don't pay attention.)

So, I think I'm going to take the plunge into MODO, but money is going to be tight for me for the next few weeks. About how much would I be looking to spend to get started, and to do a few Gatecrash drafts here and there?

No combos.

That's awesome, I actually started piecing together a deck just like that (only without some of the restrictions you posted.)

WanderingWind

So, I think I'm going to take the plunge into MODO, but money is going to be tight for me for the next few weeks. About how much would I be looking to spend to get started, and to do a few Gatecrash drafts here and there?

That's awesome, I actually started piecing together a deck just like that (only without some of the restrictions you posted.)

I spent 300 bucks on every card I could possibly want and about 6 drafts and a sealed event. The prices online are a fraction of what they are IRL.

Well, except for some reason Thudermaw. That mother is WAY more expensive.

I spent 300 bucks on every card I could possibly want and about 6 drafts and a sealed event. The prices online are a fraction of what they are IRL.

Well, except for some reason Thudermaw. That mother is WAY more expensive.

So drafting is pretty cheap then? I've had my fill of constructed for the time being, and already own all the paper cards I need, I just looking to draft during some downtime, haha.

WanderingWind

So drafting is pretty cheap then? I've had my fill of constructed for the time being, and already own all the paper cards I need, I just looking to draft during some downtime, haha.

14 bucks for drafts, 26 for sealed. Wish there was a way to draft among just ourselves here. Would be fun losing to people I am familiar with

kirblar

It really confuses me that they don't just go hog wild "printing" Legacy stuff on MTGO. Like it would have to make Wizards money if they ran Masters Edition drafts fairly often, right? (Unless they actually do this and I just don't pay attention.)
I think it's that they don't want to step on IRL legacy's toes. But Worth finally got overruled on FoW when they did the promo, so hopefully they've learned their lesson.

I'm really thinking Modern Masters is them dipping their toes into reprinting cards and gauging public reactions. Wizards is paranoid about flooding the shelves with their product, and my guess is they see high secondhand market prices as something of a safegaurd against that, so any attempts to significantly drive those aftermarket prices are met with extreme caution.

That said, I think them making shocklands incredibly easy to nab is a good sign of them softening on this stance, and I think is a portent of good things to come for those of us waiting for more reprints.

Veezy

que?
14 bucks for drafts, 26 for sealed. Wish there was a way to draft among just ourselves here. Would be fun losing to people I am familiar with

What I love about drafting is when I win, even when I lose.

For example, last weekend I pulled a Sphinx's Revelation that got passed to me. I had to make sure with a friend of mine I wasn't going crazy thinking that something wrong happened with me getting that. His quote "I'd hesitate to call it the best card in Standard, right now, but I wouldn't hesitate for long."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My guess is it's a response to the hyperaggressive meta that emerged post Gatecrash. When everyone's dropping a bunch of dudes on T3/T4 and swinging, a few Fogs will do wonders for setting up your superfriends.

Or the player just lucked out.

Top Bottom