• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

There was an article on TCG player with some deck called Bant Skywalkers. Basically, Gideon gets spectral flight or Ajani -3 and beats face. Vorel makes it even more hilarious since he gets super big.

I'm not saying it's Tier 1, but it's hilarious.

JulianImp

There was an article on TCG player with some deck called Bant Skywalkers. Basically, Gideon gets spectral flight or Ajani -3 and beats face. Vorel makes it even more hilarious since he gets super big.

I'm not saying it's Tier 1, but it's hilarious.

Only if you want to wait a whole turn, since it seems his P/T doesn't update automatically when you double its loyalty counters. It'd be better to just use equipment rather than auras since they'd fall off of Gideon when he turns back into a planeswalker (unless one swing's all you need).

Vorel seemed lame at first because I read "each" to mean instances when a permanent had more than one type of counter on it (which is almost never). I didn't realize he doubled counters. Hmmm...

alternade

Vorel seemed lame at first because I read "each" to mean instances when a permanent had more than one type of counter on it (which is almost never). I didn't realize he doubled counters. Hmmm...

This is how I read it at first too! I was wondering why everyone was creaming themselves lol Cant wait to add this guy to my ooze deck.

btw me and friend were trying to come up with fun interactions between cards and I think this works but you tell me.

Biomaster out with Silverblade Paladin and Geist of ST. When GoST attacks does the angel get the counters and can pair with Silverblade? Would this be in the declaring attackers step?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This is how I read it at first too! I was wondering why everyone was creaming themselves lol Cant wait to add this guy to my ooze deck.

btw me and friend were trying to come up with fun interactions between cards and I think this works but you tell me.

Biomaster out with Silverblade Paladin and Geist of ST. When GoST attacks does the angel get the counters and can pair with Silverblade? Would this be in the declaring attackers step?

Yes and yes. The angel gets the counters, can pair with Silverblade, and this all happens during declare attackers, since you would choose to trigger the Silverblade ability in response to the angel entering.

I...think that last part is right. Phases and priority have never been my strong suit.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Angel gets counters and can pair, you can double counters at the end of declare attackers or declre blockers.

Haly

Stifle the trigger. Not sure what else he can do though.

Oh, Vision Charm.

OnPoint

Stifle the trigger. Not sure what else he can do though.

Oh, Vision Charm.
Oh, Stifle. That makes sense.

Wouldn't Vision Charm just mean you have to pay the cost when it comes back after phasing? Or is it reworded or does Phasing now work like blinking?

Haly

No, I just looked it up but phasing doesn't trigger come into play effects. It's not like blinking, where the phaser enters a new zone then comes back. It is still considered "in play", just that nothing can interact with it.

Also keeps counters, enchants, equipments, etc.

Confusing, which is why they made blinking instead.

having your dreadnaught eat an abrupt decay is the worst thing in the world.

I like caleb's work, but dreadnaught is just super-meh nowadays.

It's an easy combo to pull off, and playing with 3 big jace and brainstorm allows you to put it back/get rid of it if you aren't looking for a kill like that.

Stifle is already great in the format. Having a combo that basically wins the game against RUG or Goblins is never a bad thing.

He's playing trinket mage (1 of) so its essentially his 4th copy of dreadnaught, but also allows him to get top if he needs it.

dreadnaught is also great because it threatens a turn 4 kill. this would be impossible through most conventional methods with a control style deck like this.

OnPoint

No, I just looked it up but phasing doesn't trigger come into play effects. It's not like blinking, where the phaser enters a new zone then comes back. It is still considered "in play", just that nothing can interact with it.

Also keeps counters, enchants, equipments, etc.

Confusing, which is why they made blinking instead.

It's one of the reasons, IMO, that Mirage will always be a disappointment. Those mechanics were so janky.

Haly

Wow Phasing is so fucked up.
In response to a Top tap, you simply phase it out, resolve your draw, then take your next turn with your Top in play. This merely cycles the Vision Charm, but it’s still a useful interaction when you need to dig one deeper.
EDIT: I guess this is possible with flicker effects too, nevermind.

JulianImp

I have a Biomancer and a Biomancer foil I'd be willing to trade if you're interested

While I'd love to try a trade by mail, being in Argentina I think I'll have to pass. Mailing cards outside of the country would either be unrealiable or more expensive than simply purchasing the cards, sadly.

Stuff like Shambleshark and Lotleth Troll could work really well with it. I might go back to UG (or UGw) with this card, instead of my abomination that is a Gwub deck right now (with no color issues, though).

OnPoint

So basically, play Dreadnaught, Vision Charm or Stifle the trigger, skip the sacrifice situation when it phases back in? Super crazy.

Also, you're a control deck. There's no reason to push the combo if you don't think it's there. Worst case scenario, they force your combo and you 2 for 2...

Kurtofan

VbIOL9Hl.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Permanent. Instant speed.

lulz.

My future Bant deck grows in power. Who would've thought white would get an instant edict?

OnPoint

While I'd love to try a trade by mail, being in Argentina I think I'll have to pass. Mailing cards outside of the country would either be unrealiable or more expensive than simply purchasing the cards, sadly..

Aw, that stinks. Sorry I couldn't help you out man.

ultron87

I do hope they can still manage to bring out some more flavor for the "Gateless" faction that they talked a bit about in Gatecrash. Though there really isn't much room at all for it.

JulianImp

Aw, that stinks. Sorry I couldn't help you out man.

Hey, no problem! International shipping often ends up being a deal breaker when it comes to trades, since either packgage could end up getting lost or held up in customs. The only truly reliable alternative for me would be FedEx, which charges over US$40, and the cheaper Argentine mail would cost US$8, but would only have tracking inside the country, which would probably be asking for trouble.

Yeef

The gatekeepers are great. As someone who mainly plays limited, I like them a lot. The black one's probably the best of them.

Hero

Awful spoilers today. Teysa is cool but 7 mana is a lot for something that doesn't drastically change you the board state.

Haly

She would be a hard sell at 5CMC. Dunno why they made her 7.

Maybe to make her less instawin in limited.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Teysa looks like fun EDH material, which we know they designed the champions for to some extent, but yeah, I'm not sure how much she'll even do in Limited at 7 mana

Yeef

Gatekeepers are wonderful for Limited and hopefully point towards a slower format (even though Gatecrash is really fun).
Rosewater said in his article on Monday that Dragon's Maze was meant to be a slower format, so they sped up Gatecrash and Return to balance it out:

In order to make three colors work better in Draft, we also slowed down the environment. Three-color decks require more setup, which means they take more time to get going. To make sure three-color decks were viable, we had to slow down the environment. Because of the need to make Dragon's Maze the slowest of the three Draft environments, the previous two sets were made a little faster for contrast.

Top Bottom