• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

JulianImp

Dear lord, dat full art Melek...

LpF3PT2.jpg

VvRaIKV.jpg

If I have to go back to playing my efficient but boring Gwub deck for that event, then so be it. I must get my hands on that card.

Draw a billion cards, gain a billion life, kill everything they own, murder then with crappy creatures and they scoop.

If they are playing control, draw more cards and drownyard them to death.

Man, I'd figure by now they'd at least try to bash them with Obzedat or Griselbrand instead of grinding out with Drownyard.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think I prefer the counterspell heavy control over the endless grind control.

JulianImp

I'm not sure myself. Without counterspells, the creatures control decks play have to dodge removal or provide lots of value, since there're less reliable ways to keep your opponents from Murdering your creatures. Stuff like Drownyard is the reason why I try to fit some Ghost Quarters in my decks (or, at least, a couple of Pithing Needles on the side).

Creatures are too good nowadays to rely on just stack control (countermagic). It's still part of any control deck, but certainly not the emphasis compared to board control.

Haly

Creatures are too good nowadays to rely on just stack control (countermagic). It's still part of any control deck, but certainly not the emphasis compared to board control.

Yeah I know, I was thinking WOTC should may be tone down creatures a bit.

JulianImp

This is one of the reasons behind the Izzet getting mostly screwed yet again. Now that the game emphasizes battlefield-based interactions and creatures, the spell-based guild obviously didn't stand a chance. I really liked some old stuff such as Wee Dragonauts or Gelectrode, or wacky stuff like the Development side of Research//Development or Odds from Odds//Ends. Hopefully, the guild will get a few interesting and [even somewhat] playable cards in DGM.

I wish there were more extend-art or textless cards in general. What I wouldn't do for a playset of textless Bolts.

There was a Player Rewards full-art foil Lightning Bolt right before they stopped sending those out. I was unlucky enough to not get them, though.

...Damn, now you've reminded me of the MPR program, which I liked way better than the boring achievement system that's in place now.

sammich

I dont know if this is possible at all but they should insert full art cards into regular boosters. Maybe put it in place of a foil or make it a chance of being a foil in the first place. Most stuff to chace.

Yeah I know, I was thinking WOTC should may be tone down creatures a bit.

They actually have over the last two blocks, believe it or not. They are still very good but the creature creep that started with Ravnica and peaked in M11 (Titans) has been brought just a bit.

JulianImp

They actually have over the last two blocks, believe it or not. They are still very good but the creature creep that started with Ravnica and peaked in M11 (Titans) has been brought just a bit.

Still, they're currently pumping early to mid-game creatures up nowadays. The titans (and the sixth ranger, Wurmcoil Engine) were big mistakes, but now we've got powerful early game stuff such as Knight of the Parish, Silverblade Paladin, Gravecrawler, Geralf's Messenger, Restoration Angel, Snapcaster Mage, Thragtusk, Lingering Souls, Lotleth Troll, Deathrite Shaman, Boros Reckoner, etcetera.

They have achieved some balance among these cards, but the power level between them and most of the others is wildly different, making them a requirement for a good deck in their colors or theme (other than Wolfir Silverheart, which is working really well for me as a budget Thragtusk replacement).

mercviper

I dont know if this is possible at all but they should insert full art cards into regular boosters. Maybe put it in place of a foil or make it a chance of being a foil in the first place. Most stuff to chace.

I would prefer this over the basic land they put in to short us out of our 15th card.

Haly

I wouldn't mind basic land if they printed more oversized art lands. Or experimented more with their designs.

I actually rather like this idea. My problem with foils is they're difficult to work with. They're nice pulls if you happen to need them for EDH decks, but as trade fodder, they suck since most people don't want to value your foil higher, but expect you to value their own. Furthermore, my LGS doesn't want to pay extra for foils since no one wants to pay extra to buy them.

I wouldn't mind basic land if they printed more oversized art lands. Or experimented more with their designs.
Innistrad basic lands should have definitely had a creepy looking frame for their basics. The bright looking frames clashed with the spooky art for everything but the swamps.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ok guys, I'm a brand new MTG player (been playing for a month now) and I haven't really been keeping up with all the Dragon's Maze info (studying for Finals and projects etc.) so what should a B/W Orzhov player be looking forward to? I'm running an Extort deck based around Obzedat.

Posting for new page.

Haly

Am I a bad person for trading my friend a Bruna and some Riot Gears for a Huntmaster?

Yes. You are a bad person and you should feel bad.

Woe unto you if he ever realizes how much you screwed him.

(Good deal)

Yeah, I'm gonna just give him the next good card he has an interest in of mine

Edit: haha oh yeah, I should point out I did offer him a snapcaster mage for it and he wasn't interested...

kirblar

Aren't there only ten ways they can do three color split cards? I swear there was a huge article about it, I'll look for it
There are only 30 potential combinations total.

You can easily, however, do them in such a way that you're not duplicating any on the track. I suspect the gimmick here, though, is that they're all 1 GTC + 1 RTR guild.

Haly

Heartbeat of Spring on a fatty what?

What is this?

What world am I living in?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There are only 30 potential combinations total.

You can easily, however, do them in such a way that you're not duplicating any on the track. I suspect the gimmick here, though, is that they're all 1 GTC + 1 RTR guild.

I think its the same reasoning behind the original Dissension design: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr224

Basically the constraining factor is that they want the colors in the middle to match, and if you do it that way there's only one combination that gets all three color combos

y2dvd

Is Breaking good enough alone to be put in a mill deck?
Would Varolz fit in a zombie deck?
Blood Scrivener looks terrible, but I'm not too creative. Can someone with a brighter mind tell me what synergies with this?

Is Breaking good enough alone to be put in a mill deck?
Would Varolz fit in a zombie deck?
Blood Scrivener looks terrible, but I'm not too creative. Can someone with a brighter mind tell me what synergies with this?

For one, long games tend to end up with you having no cards left in hand. I imagine in aggro decks you're throwing out most of your hand by turn 3/4 and having him out on the field will help you draw the extra gas. Topdecking this will get you out of stalled states, though you could argue topdecking a bomb instead will just end the game outright.

Off the top of my head, combos well with lotleth troll.

Also, since this is a replacement effect, I believe multiple Blood Sciveners stack.

I.e.
2 cards for 1 life
3 cards for 2 life
4 cards for 3 life
5 cards for 4 life

kirblar

I think its the same reasoning behind the original Dissension design: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr224

Basically the constraining factor is that they want the colors in the middle to match, and if you do it that way there's only one combination that gets all three color combos
Look at Tablet of the Guilds. That's how you do it and make the colors match. (There's also a third solution for the "other" 10 combos.) I don't think they were concerned about the "middle" factor this time.

The Adder

Banned
They didn't even try with Ms Envoy. Why is a normal human a 4/4? Why is she so expensive? Meh. Why are the champs not repping the guild mechanics?

Because she has the greatest of super powers. Limitless money...

Also ghosts.

Serious commentary about Tesya though. Doesn't she work pretty well in stall and bleed decks? Still expensive for what she does, mind, but if your deck is built around dropping Spheres of Safety anyway wouldn't she be a pretty solid addition two turns later? If your opponent is only able to (at best) swing with one creature making sure that creature doesn't live to swing again (while also getting a new blocker) seems like a pretty good deal to me.

There's no reason for her to have 4 power though, since you're not going to be using her to destroy creatures by blocking anyways.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Man, fuck Wizards. How do they make all these cool legends and make the Dimir one suck so hard? Oh gee, a 2/4 flyer that mills. For 5cmc.

Bah! Bah, I say!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wizards hate control

The entire cycle is just fucked. Both in flavor an power level. The Gruul champ is insane, Tesya is a human than is now stronger than the vampire and the vamp Dimir is an uncommon, at best.

And you know Emmara is going to do something stupid good too.

Top Bottom