• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
2 mana resto angels and 1 mana snappies were too strong in playtesting.

Haly

It's worse than Thalia as a two drop, I feel.

But it does have a place there, not as a replacement but as an additional asset.

Haly

Creatures can be swept away. Thalia will actually slow you down a turn if you didn't take her into account when keeping your opening hand. Hatebears wants you to stop doing anything if possible, not just dissuade you from doing things. Trust me, I know this well. My friend who I play Modern with loves his Hatebears deck.

Looking at it again, the better comparison would be Standstill. Both are cards that give your opponent a choice: Play a spell and forfeit some card advantage, or withhold your spell and sacrifice tempo. The difference is the advantage provided by this guy is in the form of X/X tokens, which have a variety of inherent weaknesses. Standstill will give you 3 cards, no question, and cards in your hand are generally safer than cards on the field.

However this does come on a 2/2 body and replaces itself on death, so the comparison is not totally apt. And it's not symmetrical either.

farawaywide.jpg

Sweet.

Haly

I think Fuse should be evergreen for all future split cards.

It's just really elegant.

Haly

Kinda? It depends on the design.

Well after writing that I thought about it some more and I realize it's not appropriate for every situation. What I really meant is that the presence of Fuse inspires creative effect pairings. Rather than being glorified charms, you have a card with two modes, either of which are playable on their own but can combine to form a greater "third" effect.

So, not evergreen exactly, but they shouldn't shirk from using Fuse on split cards in the future. It's an interesting design challenge that results in elegant cards.

ultron87

So if you cast this fused against Thragtusk (nothing else on board) you can return to hand and kill the token, but you can't make him sac the Thragtusk then bounce the token right?

The Fuse card resolves entirely as one spell so the token trigger won't even go on the stack till after they've sacced a creature. Turn//Burn is the Thragtusk answer for this set it seems.

Edit: : /

5prumpmiw3_EN.jpg

ultron87

Even the flavor doesn't make sense there. Since the random damage is a tap ability it is like he is intentionally flying out to cause random collateral damage. Make it a 2/2 flyer that has random damage when it becomes tapped or something.

JulianImp

Putrefy fits my planned BUG deck perfectly! I think I have two or three copies somewhere in my collection...

By the way, how do you guys keep your card collections? I try to sort the cards by set, but building and dismantling decks over time eventually leads to a huge pile of unsorted cards that just keeps on growing. I was looking for some Gnaw to the Bone and Spider Spawnings I had, but I've been completely unable to spot them across the thousands of cards I have. I bet I've misplaced them alongside some of the sorted cards... looking for putrefy will be an equally complicated task, since those are old enough that they're all the way from back when I didn't even sort my cards other than by color and rarity. Anything older than Eventide is mostly cluttered together.

The WG mythic looks pretty powerful, but I don't think it's a ridiculous hate bear. It's not like your opponents will play their removal on your turn to kill it, but it does protect selesnya from nonred control decks, since Azorius Charm can't hit and nuking the board still gets you a token. It might be crazy overpowered, but I think it's being overhyped (and probably overpriced in the presale market). During set previews, I tend to look for cheaper cards that do interesting effects I'd like to play in my decks, rather than shooting for whichever card preview sites have hyped into costing $50 per card. I don't care about speculation and reselling my cards, but rather getting stuff I want to play while it's dirt cheap (since it will cost a dollar or two less less later on, at worst). So far the only card I've ever gotten really licky on were a pair of Phantasmal Images I bought for cheap at the set's launch party.

The goblin's bad... I wish it had haste or did more than two damage (three would've been better), or if it had some crazy ability like "Whenever ~ would take damage, flip a coin. If it comes up heads, return ~ to its owner's hand instead". He isn't nearly as wacky as he could be, which leaves in in the boring middle ground between being a serious card and a flat-out wacky Izzet test subject.

JulianImp

If your opponent has 2 creatures out, and you play this for the Fuze cost, couldn't they just choose to sacrifice the creature you want to return to their hand and only lose one creature total?

I think the cards effects are applied from left to right, so Far bounces the creature before Away asks for a sacrifice. We'll probably need to read the set FAQ on Fuse to see how it actually works, though.

ultron87

I think the cards effects are applied from left to right, so Far bounces the creature before Away asks for a sacrifice. We'll probably need to read the set FAQ on Fuse to see how it actually works, though.

Yeah, it happens left to right. From the mechanics article:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/242#1 said:
And if you're casting it from your hand (as you usually are), you have the additional option to cast both halves as a single spell by paying their combined cost. Instructions on the left half are processed first, then the instructions on the right, and targets for the two halves are chosen separately.

I really look forward to the easiest read in Magic where you know your opponent has a split card because they tilt their head.

The Fuse card resolves entirely as one spell so the token trigger won't even go on the stack till after they've sacced a creature. Turn//Burn is the Thragtusk answer for this set it seems.

Edit: : /

5prumpmiw3_EN.jpg

A few of my buddies are playing a 4th edition D&D game set in Ravnica, and one of the players is playing an Izzet Goblin Sorcerer who relies heavily on his Chaos Bolt. He's a big fan of these kooky random cards and he's gonna flip when he sees this.

bigkrev

In an era with smaller set sizes, I don't really think they should be wasting precious card slots on dumb cards like that. Everything should have some sort of purpose- being a tournament card, being a limited card, being a casual card, teaching a lesson to newer players, ect. This does none of that.

Yeef

Maybe there'll be some sort of Reroute effect in the set that makes this marginally better. I could see this card being extremely obnoxious in huge multiplayer games, simply do to the time it takes to randomize.

ultron87

I've got it! You play it in a deck with Witchbane Orb and Lightning Greaves so that only your opponent's stuff can be targeted!

Wait, no. Witchbane Orb does you nothing since the ability is controlled by you. Time to bust out the Circle of Protection: Reds!

In an era with smaller set sizes, I don't really think they should be wasting precious card slots on dumb cards like that. Everything should have some sort of purpose- being a tournament card, being a limited card, being a casual card, teaching a lesson to newer players, ect. This does none of that.

No, I'm pretty sure it achieves the "casual card" effect quite nicely. Also, we have 4 large sets in Standard right now, so I think we'll be fine.

Lucario

qehtyz52hp_EN.jpg

gonna go back to this.

While I don't think it's going to be the greatest thing ever in standard, modern has a lot of cards this guy can be borderline abusive with.... Delver decks running gitaxian probes and other random cantrips being among the most insane possibilities.

Card would've been pretty decent if it was just a hellbent phyrexian arena. A card shouldn't make Street Wraith and Gitaxian Probe draw you two cards each.

I'm actually kind of worried about what this guy can do. I realize loading your deck up with cantrips could lead to a situation where you're unable to cast down to 1 card without paying a stupid amount of life, but there's definitely a balance here.

Another issue with the deck is, you probably want to be in every color. Oh fuck, how cute would a Tribal Flames delver tempo/burn deck be? Toss in Isochron Scepter as a 1-2 of in the sideboard to clear out your hand and break open tempo mirrors?

f0rk

qehtyz52hp_EN.jpg

gonna go back to this.

While I don't think it's going to be the greatest thing ever in standard, modern has a lot of cards this guy can be borderline abusive with.... Delver decks running gitaxian probes and other random cantrips being among the most insane possibilities.

Card would've been pretty decent if it was just a hellbent phyrexian arena. A card shouldn't make Street Wraith and Gitaxian Probe draw you two cards each.

I'm actually kind of worried about what this guy can do. I realize loading your deck up with cantrips could lead to a situation where you're unable to cast down to 1 card without paying a stupid amount of life, but there's definitely a balance here.

Another issue with the deck is, you probably want to be in every color. Oh fuck, how cute would a Tribal Flames delver tempo/burn deck be? Toss in Isochron Scepter as a 1-2 of in the sideboard to clear out your hand and break open tempo mirrors?

A UB Delver deck in Modern with Death's Shadow and Dark Confidant?

Lucario

So, in regards to Blood Scrivener, if you Sphinx's Revelation for X with no cards in your hand, would you draw double X cards?

No. You draw each card individually. You'd draw X+1 cards.

A UB Delver deck in Modern with Death's Shadow and Dark Confidant?

TRIGGER WARNING -- DEATH'S SHADOW AGGRO.

But seriously, I love it. Dark Confidant, Delver, Blood Scrivener, and Death's Shadow might be too many creatures though, and you'd need to be able to burn through your life pretty fast, otherwise you'd have Death's Shadow as an uncastable card. I also kind of want goyf, considering how quickly our graveyard is being filled, but another 2cc card might be too heavy for what we're attempting.

Creatures: 16

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Death's Shadow
4 Blood Scrivener
4 Dark Confidant

Spells: 27

4 Rift Bolt(?)
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Path to Exile
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Vapor Snag(?)
4 Tribal Flames
4 Lightning Helix

Lands: 17

(fetches and shocks. c'mon, man, I can't do everything for ya!)

I don't actually know if we even need delver...... It feels like it just wants to be goblin guide. I'd also put the ideal # of cantrips at 6-8, and I've only got 4.

JulianImp

So, in regards to Blood Scrivener, if you Sphinx's Revelation for X with no cards in your hand, would you draw double X cards?

I think each draw is handled separatedly:the first draw is replaced by the "draw 2 and lose 1 life", and then the subsequent ones draw you a single card because you already have cards in hand. If you're supposed to reveal every card you draw if you have a Future Sight or Malek on the table, for example, I'd say card draws are done separatedly, so it works this way.

I'd give a more definitive answer, but delving back into the CRs is a bit of a hassle.

No. You draw each card individually. You'd draw X+1 cards.
Ah, that's right. Shucks.
Might possibly be going to my first FNM tonight. What should I be on the lookout for?

Assuming it's Standard, Naya Humans and Junk Reanimator at the top ends of the table. If your LGS is more casual, then you'll probably run into a lot more Guild-theme homebrews (i.e. decks based off of milling or Extort). Do you know about how many people attend?

I think each draw is handled separatedly:the first draw is replaced by the "draw 2 and lose 1 life", and then the subsequent ones draw you a single card because you already have cards in hand. If you're supposed to reveal every card you draw if you have a Future Sight or Malek on the table, for example, I'd say card draws are done separatedly, so it works this way.

I'd give a more definitive answer, but delving back into the CRs is a bit of a hassle.
I'm pretty sure you and Lucario are both right. I keep thinking of "Draw X cards" as one action, but it should really say "Draw a card X times".

Lucario

No delver/no death's shadow/zoo version:

dudes: 24

4 Steppe Lynx
4 Kird Ape
4 Goblin Guide
4 Blood Scrivener
4 Dark Confidant
4 Tarmogoyf

spells: 19

3 Path to Exile
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Tribal Flames
4 Lightning Helix

17 lands

Might be a little too light on lands and fixing to be playing steppe lynx -- I realize I'm gettin' kinda greedy here.

#YOLO VERSION

dudes: 28

4 Steppe Lynx
4 Death's Shadow
4 Goblin Guide
4 Dark Confidant
4 Blood Scrivener
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Street Wraith

spells: a lot

2 Gut Shot
4 Tribal Flames
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Gitaxian Probe

lands: 18

LAND CRACK FETCH TAKE TWO I'M CONLEY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS

f0rk

TRIGGER WARNING -- DEATH'S SHADOW AGGRO.

But seriously, I love it. Dark Confidant, Delver, Blood Scrivener, and Death's Shadow might be too many creatures though, and you'd need to be able to burn through your life pretty fast, otherwise you'd have Death's Shadow as an uncastable card. I also kind of want goyf, considering how quickly our graveyard is being filled, but another 2cc card might be too heavy for what we're attempting.

I don't actually know if we even need delver...... It feels like it just wants to be goblin guide. I'd also put the ideal # of cantrips at 6-8, and I've only got 4.

I think you might be right about Delver, when I thought of the creature base (same 16 as you) the first thing I thought was Deathrite Shaman is supposed to be one of the best cards in the format and fits here. Turn 2 Lilliana would be good to get rid of the dead Shadows, and you could fit in Goyf without worrying about flipping Delver.

It's like a quirky version of that Grixis Delver list SCG posted about a while ago.

Lucario

I think you might be right about Delver, when I thought of the creature base (same 16 as you) the first thing I thought was Deathrite Shaman is supposed to be one of the best cards in the format and fits here. Turn 2 Lilliana would be good to get rid of the dead Shadows, and you could fit in Goyf without worrying about flipping Delver.

It's like a quirky version of that Grixis Delver list SCG posted about a while ago.

3 mana spells are a big no in this deck imho. you never want three lands. DRS could probably do some work though, but he'd be replacing lands, which might not be a great idea.

For extra cuteness, though, you COULD run a GO BIG (prolly 19-20 land + 4 DRS) version of the deck that runs the golgari guild champ to exile your death's shadows. I really like 18/19 tarmogoyfs.

Lucario

Confidant and Scrivener really, really don't get along.

It's true that having both out means we can't draw cards off Scrivener if we drew a noninsant off confidant, yeah, but consider:

-Dark confidant is the biggest lightning bolt/path conduit in Modern. If someone lets us get both out and can't answer either, they're probably going to lose anyways.
-The better versions of this deck probably won't want to be running as many creatures as I am
-We're also drawing plenty of cards off Scrivener mainphase.

I'll test it out a bit without the confidants, though. It hurts, but it might be correct to just cut them completely.

dudes: 12

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Blood Scrivener
4 Tarmogoyf

spells: 30

2 Gut Shot
4 Path to Exile
4 Thoughtseize
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Rift Bolt
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Tribal Flames
4 Lightning Helix

lands: 18

This seems like it gets a tad too greedy with the manabase, but it's not like I wanna be cutting goyf here. Ugh. Maybe I'm just being greedy by shoving Tribal Flames into all of these lists, but we need to be hurting our opponent faster than we hurt ourselves, and 4-5 damage for 1R does exactly that. I'm also shoving goyf into all of these lists, and I'm just splashing for it.

There's way too many cards I'm considering here. It's like I'm trying to jam five or six decks into one.

Top Bottom