• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Negator

Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker
3UB
Legendary Creature - Vampire
Flying
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, that player reveals cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals four land cards, then puts those cards into his or her graveyard.
2/4

f0rk

mirkovoskminddrinker.jpg

Yeef

Reddit. 2/4 flying, 3ub, when he deals combat damage to a player that player mills until land

AKA a slightly better Balustrade Spy. But not really since it takes 5cmc to cast
It's actually Mind Funeral on a stick.

I don't think it's awful in an all in mill strategy, where you're going to be running stuff like Jace's Phantasm, Consuming Abberation Wight, but it doesn't really fit into other decks. If they'd given him deathtouch I think that would have been enough to put him over the edge.

Yeef

attachment.php

Rot Farm Skeleton 2BG
Creature - Plant Skeleton (Uncommon)

Rot Farm Skeleton can't block.

2BG, put four cards from the top of your library into your graveyard: put Rot Farm Skeleton from your graveyard to the battlefield. Play this ability only as a sorcery.

4/1

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ah, 4 lands. Well, now he's a rare!

And that Dimir deck with Wight, phantasm, aberration, mind sculpt, thought scour and others is bordering on playable. I was hoping for some stuff to assist to make it at least somewhat viable, considering it's on borrowed time.

Post rotation: No phantasm, drown yard, scour, sculpt = garbage

sammich

I dunno.. i like that Vamp. Milling till you hit 4 lands is a gamble.. but its a lot of cards and 4 lands. Especially with the other stuff you can do with those colours. I think it would be fun at the pre-release

f0rk

I dunno.. i like that Vamp. Milling till you hit 4 lands is a gamble.. but its a lot of cards and 4 lands. Especially with the other stuff you can do with those colours. I think it would be fun at the pre-release

Once you are on 5 mana hitting 4 lands off the top of their deck would be awful.

WanderingWind

Yeah, but by time you're getting him out and attacking your opponent has 6-7 lands. You'd be doing him a favor, really.

It's a fine casual card for kitchen top, but whatever. Maybe some of the other Dimir cards will be more competitive in nature.

My heart wants to be Dimir, but they're making it pretty hard.

OnPoint

Yeah, but by time you're getting him out and attacking your opponent has 6-7 lands. You'd be doing him a favor, really.

It's a fine casual card for kitchen top, but whatever. Maybe some of the other Dimir cards will be more competitive in nature.

My heart wants to be Dimir, but they're making it pretty hard.

I guess if he had double strike? I don't know. He's just not that great sadly.

ultron87

He should draw you cards as well or something. Obviously can't be as many as they put in their graveyard or anything, but some amount.

Maybe he could only mill 1 land, then you could draw that many cards.

WanderingWind

He should draw you cards as well or something. Obviously can't be as many as they put in their graveyard or anything, but some amount.

Maybe he could only mill 1 land, then you could draw that many cards.

Yeah, that would be insane. Probably guessing that was the Dimir mechanic they took off at the last moment because they broke it in play testing.

JulianImp

I really like Blood Scrivener. It'd be great in a weird deck that abuses its graveyard with flashback or scavenge (or both!), if you'd rather not overextend into a wrath. It could combo with stuff such as Desolate Lighthouse or the enchantment that turns lands into Phyrexian Arena.

The golgari champion looks awesome. Now G/B has a second reliable regenerator that makes combat math harder for everyone else, and it also upgrades stuff such as Dreg Reaver and Deadbridge Goliath's scavenge costs, making them more playable. It makes me want to build a golgari deck soon, since I do have the Gravecrawlers and a Lotleth Troll. It also enables Blood Artist shenanigans since you get to sacrifice your board at will.

The U/R split looks fun and potentially playable. It's surely going to be an back-breaking 2-for-1 limited card, at the very least. The dimir/rakdos split makes it look like all rares will have a CC side and a 4CC one, and it looks like a fine card, even if I don't like it personally.

That dimir vampire looks like he isn't doing any drinking at all, just dumping stuff into the graveyard. If it had that and some way to grow and slowly milled more and more, it could've been more interesting.

The plant skeleton sounds funky, but it can't block and has nothing else going for it. It would've been fun if it was smaller and able to block, like a slight variation on Reassembling Skeleton.

that golgari champ is funny because the high activation costs shows just how paranoid they are of any kind of self-mill graveyard enablement.

For good reason of course, given that dredge is the ultimate abomination of MTG.

The golgari champion looks awesome. Now G/B has a second reliable regenerator that makes combat math harder for everyone else, and it also upgrades stuff such as Dreg Reaver and Deadbridge Goliath's scavenge costs, making them more playable. It makes me want to build a golgari deck soon, since I do have the Gravecrawlers and a Lotleth Troll. It also enables Blood Artist shenanigans since you get to sacrifice your board at will.

The plant skeleton sounds funky, but it can't block and has nothing else going for it. It would've been fun if it was smaller and able to block, like a slight variation on Reassembling Skeleton.

I'm really liking the Golgari champion too since as you say it makes the scavenge mechanic cheaper, and so the tactic more viable. When I purchased cards for a golgari agro deck I've been working on I grabbed a playset of Corpsejack Menace and some Jarads too, so I doesn't feel like I've wasted my time getting those now!

Does the full spoiler list go up at the end of the ten days of reveals usually?

bigkrev

Today's terrible draft

I'm not winning a single game with this

UPDATE 1: Won the first match, somehow. Might have something to do with my opponent not playing a spell after turn 2 in game 1 (and the game ended on turn 12 with 2 lands in play for him), and my opponent not knowing what Blind Obediance does, leading him to not leave a blocker back for a lethal swing.

UPDATE 2: In the finals, thanks to some Zurichi Tiger magic ruining my opponents math with a bloodrushed Wrecking Ogre, leaving me at 1 life and then able to crack back for lethal, and a whole lot of extortion.

UPDATE 3: Dead in the finals :/

WanderingWind

Sums up this cycle.

Sums up Dimir in total.

Hands of Binding is good in limited. Same with Shadow Slice. (Won a game with that sideboarded in last week)

Paranoid Delusions is pretty much a role player in the Wight/Phantasm deck.

But all of them (except Delusions) needed to be costed less by 1-2 to be effective.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hm, good in limited in the right deck, probably unplayable in constructed, at least I don't think simic/bant aggro/midrange is viable nor would it want to waste a turn on this when it can ramp to Zegana.

WanderingWind

Hm, good in limited in the right deck, probably unplayable in constructed, at least I don't think simic/bant aggro/midrange is viable nor would it want to waste a turn on this when it can ramp to Zegana.

I think it's pretty viable. Prime Speaker Bant is a thing.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I think it's pretty viable. Prime Speaker Bant is a thing.

There aren't enough playable cards that have +1/+1 counters on them for this to be any good. By the time you're drawing cards off of it (generally late game once township starts rolling) you could have done any of a million more efficient card draw things (Sphinx, Zegana, Urban Evolution, etc...)

f0rk

It's a bit better than the last 3 mana card draw enchantments but I don't think there are enough legitimately good creatures that have counters on to make it good.

Haly

As strong as creatures have become recently, Enchantments that require commitment to board presence with some stipulations attached are still too narrow/unreliable to see play.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's a bit better than the last 3 mana card draw enchantments but I don't think there are enough legitimately good creatures that have counters on to make it good.

Underworld Connections craps upon this from on high.

Haly

Underworld Connections is a fairer Phyrexian Arena though. I was (and assume f0rk was) thinking of Descendant's Path and Triumph of Ferocity.

I think Wizards is still struggling to give green card advantage. Only examples I can think of are Big Garruk (planeswalker), Domri (multicolored), Urban Evolution (multicolored, needs to be built around), Unexpected Results (rofl), and I guess all forms of land fetching.

sammich

MOAR:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=502889

Body (Left) 3BG

Sorcery Rare

Exile target creature from a graveyard, put X +1/+1 counters on target creature. X equal to the power of target card you exiled this way.

Blood(Right) RG

Sorcery Rare

Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature or target player.

I like blood.. its like fling but you dont sacrifice the creature.(Edit: except that its a sorcery)

Haly

I don't understand why Body is 5CMC?

Is it because it's "half" a card?

Blood is real good though, I feel.

WanderingWind

There aren't enough playable cards that have +1/+1 counters on them for this to be any good. By the time you're drawing cards off of it (generally late game once township starts rolling) you could have done any of a million more efficient card draw things (Sphinx, Zegana, Urban Evolution, etc...)

Yeah, it's not tier 1, but it's on the edge. Gyre Sage and Experiment One with Zamuck shenanigans help out.

Haly

Now if it read, "Whenever a creature you control with a +1/+1 counter deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card for each +1/+1 counter on that creature.", that would be a lot better I think.

MOAR:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=502889

Body (Left) 3BG

Sorcery Rare

Exile target creature from a graveyard, put X +1/+1 counters on target creature. X equal to the power of target card you exiled this way.

Blood(Right) RG

Sorcery Rare

Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature or target player.

I like blood.. its like fling but you dont sacrifice the creature.(Edit: except that its a sorcery)

I would take the Blood half as a single card, no joke.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
All of these split cards are unable to be used in (some) EDH decks, right? If I could play one half, but not the other, would it be legal to have it in?

Haly

Edit: Actually there are no rules of thumbs with split cards, they're just a rules mess.

All of these split cards are unable to be used in (some) EDH decks, right? If I could play one half, but not the other, would it be legal to have it in?

The color identity has to match your general. These cards are mostly 3 colors, so if your general lines up with both sides then yes you can.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
Split cards, for purposes of color and cost, include both costs and colors on both halves.
The color identity has to match your general. These cards are mostly 3 colors, so if your general lines up with both sides then yes you can.

Awww, thank you all. Looks like I might be tempted into making 60 card decks again for this set.

Top Bottom