• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

From Rosewater's Blog:

meatloaf-of-darkness asked: When designing for multicolor cards, how often do you look at old "broken" cards and see if they'd be balanced on a gold card?

It’s one of the many things we do when making gold cards. Dragon’s Maze has at least one in that category that I can think of.

Yup, it's real.

Not sure what I think about this unconfirmed mana rock cycle Salvation just posted. They apparently believe it enough to put it in their spoiler.

Guild Mana Rock (3)
{T}: Add one mana in guild colors to your mana pool
Pay guild colors, sacrifice Guid Mana Rock: draw a card

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Not sure what I think about this unconfirmed mana rock cycle Salvation just posted. They apparently believe it enough to put it in their spoiler.

Guild Mana Rock (3)
{T}: Add one mana in guild colors to your mana pool
Pay guild colors, sacrifice Guid Mana Rock: draw a card

One mana too expensive to see any real play, but will make for good fixers in limited.

They're fine. They don't want to obselete Farseek with the signets.

Oh, I certainly didn't expect or want to see signets reprinted. It's just weird, as ultron pointed out, to have these and keyrunes.

I do like that these don't have to tap to draw the card, which means that they can tap for the mana used to sac themselves. That's kinda cool.

mm243_gt_72ja65hkmi.jpg

bigkrev

So the Mana Rocks ("Cluestones") are all common. They make a lot more sense now- fixing for limited. Odds are you will see at least 1 of these per pack, meaning that there will be a bunch of fixing pack 1 (gates plus these).

Sinatar

Interesting design tidbit from todays spoiler article regarding the fuse cards:

Dragon's Maze has two cycles of fuse cards, a ten-card uncommon cycle of every monocolored pairing and a five-card rare cycle of multicolored pairings. Each guild gets one uncommon and half a rare.

I do like that these don't have to tap to draw the card, which means that they can tap for the mana used to sac themselves. That's kinda cool.

No, unfortunately not only do you have to tap them, but the draw costs both colours.

wg130bzl8b_EN.jpg

Yeef

attachment.php

[EDIT]
Possibility Storm 3RR

Enchantment

Whenever a player casts a spell from his or her hand, that player exiles it, then exiles cards from the top of his or her library until he or she exiles a card that shares a card type with it. That player may cast that card without paying its mana cost. Then he or she puts all cards exiled with Possibility Storm on the bottom of his or her library in a random order.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That's got to be a mistake. That's so very clearly an Izzet card.

That champ is...alright. Pretty cool. Nothing too exciting.

Sinatar

Possibility storm sounds like fun shenanigans card for multiplayer. Tajic is really good, though 4 mana is pretty steep for what will end up being 2/2 much of the time. Then again they probably couldn't make him cheaper without being utterly broken.

The thing that sucks about submitting an idea to YMTC? I don't know every card out there and I don't know if my idea isn't already printed. It's a pretty blackish idea.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fathom Mage's new best friend.

(She still won't see any play)

Hero

I'm thinking about a Braids-esque enchantment where every upkeep a player has to exile a permanent they control. I really like stax effects.

I really want to submit something with repeatable discard on it. I've been milling over something like: "If you would draw a card, you may have target opponent discard a card instead."

I just get the feeling that even if I could make that concept work, the community is going to vote for effects where you punish yourself to do something powerful, rather than effects where you punish yourself to hurt your opponent.

I had no idea what I was going to submit, then I thought top-down and it came to me like a flash. I have a feeling there are going to be several similar cards submitted, though. We'll see.

Yeef

I really want to submit something with repeatable discard on it. I've been milling over something like: "If you would draw a card, you may have target opponent discard a card instead."

I just get the feeling that even if I could make that concept work, the community is going to vote for effects where you punish yourself to do something powerful, rather than effects where you punish yourself to hurt your opponent.
Words of Waste.

Long ago I used to run it with Geth's Grimoire in multiplayer games. May cards were had.

JulianImp

YMTC mechanic submissions are only open to US/Canada citizens? :(

It's only open to residents, actually, but still... seriously? the rest of the world only gets to vote on boring multiple-choice polls while the US an Canada get to submit the actual designs as well? I have a way to submit this through a relative, but still, it's annoying and downright impossible to do for many, many people...

I seriously don't get why restrictions should be applied to a submission contest where there's no material reward (...or is it?).

I think we should brainstorm and post card texts here to make sure nobody submits things that are too similar to another GAF submission.

I submitted:

Walking Dead
Whenever a nontoken creature dies, exile it. At the beginning of each player's end step, for each creature exiled with Walking Dead this turn, it's owner puts a 2/2 black zombie creature token onto the battlefield.

It's really simple. It doesn't really break much new ground. I just see it as a hole that hasn't been filled yet.

So here's what I submitted. It's probably not very good. I haven't put much thought into balancing it - I just like the concept of voluntarily playing with your hand revealed as the additional cost of the enchantment.

Low-Cost Strange Card Advantage Engine
Enchantment

You play with your hand revealed.

At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card.

Discard a card: Choose a card in ~'s controller's hand. ~'s controller discards that card. Only any opponent may activate this ability, but it may only be activated once per turn and only during any draw step.

I realized after submitting it that it doesn't quite scale correctly for multiplayer, but c'est la vie.

ultron87

Okay, now I'm thinking a top down design of a demonic pact that is impossible to pay. So you get extra cards (or some other advantage) for some amount of turns, but at some point you have to sac the enchantment and an opponent gets a big demon token who has come to collect your debt that attacks you each turn (and is maybe indestructible so you can't just Doom Blade it?). I like the idea of racing to win the game until it catches up with you.

Okay, now I'm thinking a top down design of a demonic pact that is impossible to pay. So you get extra cards (or some other advantage) for some amount of turns, but at some point you have to sac the enchantment and an opponent gets a big demon token who has come to collect your debt that attacks you each turn (and is maybe indestructible?). I like the idea of racing to win the game until it catches up with you.

I like this idea. The demon should probably have a clause to immediately make you lose the game when it hits you.

JulianImp

Okay, now I'm thinking a top down design of a demonic pact that is impossible to pay. So you get extra cards (or some other advantage) for some amount of turns, but at some point you have to sac the enchantment and an opponent gets a big demon token who has come to collect your debt that attacks you each turn (and is maybe indestructible?). I like the idea of racing to win the game until it catches up with you.

Sort of like a Phyrexian Etchings that leaves behind a creature rather than making you lose life? That'd be interesting. How about giving your opponent a hasty, ball lightning-esque demon every turn that begins as a 1/1 and keeps on growing every turn? Or giving him the creature as soon as the enchantment hits and making it grow every time you get the enchantment's effect? If you want a continous creature, you should probably give the demon Shroud or Hexproof to make sure the black deck can't just Murder it.

ninja edit: Having the demon kill you on hit would probably be cool as well. Might as well give it trample to make sure you can't chump-block it forever.

Here's an idea I've been thinking about, with two variations:

------------------

Exquisite Corpse
Enchantment
When Exquisite Corpse enters the battlefield, put a 0/1 black Spawn creature token onto the battlefield.
Spawn creatures [you control] have all activated abilities of creature cards exiled with Exquisite Corpse.
XBB: Exile target creature card with converted mana cost X from a graveyard. Put a number of +1/+1 counters on target Spawn creature equal to that creature's power.

------------------

Another Exquisite Corpse
Enchantment
When Exquisite Corpse enters the battlefield, put a 0/1 black Spawn creature token onto the battlefield.
As long as a creature card with flying is exiled with Exquisite Corpse, Spawn creatures [you control] have flying. The same is true for fear, first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, hexproof, landwalk, lifelink, protection, reach, trample, shroud and vigilance.
XBB: Exile target creature card with converted mana cost X from a graveyard. Put a number of +1/+1 counters on target Spawn creature equal to that creature's power.

------------------

While I'd love to fit both abilities in a single card, that'd probably be impossible to do. Given Cairn Wanderer's rules text (adding hexproof to the mix), I think the second card might not even fit by itself. The +1/+1 counters could also be based off of the creature card's CMC, making the final ability "XBB: Exile target creature card with converted mana cost X from a graveyard. Put X +1/+1 counters on target Spawn creature." This'd probably differentiate it from Scavenge while keeping the power level in check (no exiling Phyrexian Dreadnoughts, Death's Shadows or other undercosted high-power creatures).

PsionBolt

I submitted:

Millow Fort
Whenever a creature attacks you or a planeswalker you control, put a charge counter on ~.
At the beginning of your upkeep, target player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is the number of charge counters on ~.

Not sure on specifics, but I wanted something like Blood Reckoning + Mill. Doing it with charge counters has the weird side effect of encouraging alpha strikes, which I find really interesting on a pillow fort card.

Top Bottom