• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

JulianImp

Admit it, you just want Szadek back :p

Yeah, Szadek just plays a lot more like you'd expect a psychic vampire to behave like (as in, feeding fom the thoughts they extract, rather than just dumping them to the graveyard). I'd have liked the champion a lot more if he was something like:

Dimir Champion 3UB
Flying (intimidate/deathtouch)
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, that player reveals cards from of his or her library until he or she reveals X land cards, where X is ~'s power, then puts those cards into his or her graveyard. Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
2/4

Even if he were like this, he wouldn't get out of control unless he was allowed to connect two or more times.

I think the simic enchantment will make a good addition to an evolve deck (or an evolve-scavenge one), making sure you get cards back from overcommiting to the board for the sake of evolving your creatures.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Awww, thank you all. Looks like I might be tempted into making 60 card decks again for this set.

I was wrong about the cost part, it seems to change depending on the case:
708.5. An effect that asks for a particular characteristic of a split card while it’s in a zone other than the stack gets two answers (one for each of the split card’s two halves).

Example: Infernal Genesis has an ability that reads, “At the beginning of each player’s upkeep, that player puts the top card from his or her library into his or her graveyard. He or she then puts X 1/1 black Minion creature tokens into play, where X is that card’s converted mana cost.” If the top card of your library is Assault/Battery when this ability resolves, the game sees its converted mana cost as “1, and 4.” You get five creature tokens.

708.6. Some effects perform comparisons involving characteristics of one or more split cards in a zone other than the stack.

708.6a An effect that performs a positive comparison (such as asking if a card is red) or a relative comparison (such as asking if a card’s converted mana cost is less than 2) involving characteristics of one or more split cards in any zone other than the stack gets only one answer. This answer is “yes” if either side of each split card in the comparison would return a “yes” answer if compared individually.

708.6b An effect that performs a negative comparison (such as asking if cards have different names) involving characteristics of one or more split cards in any zone other than the stack also gets only one answer.This answer is “yes” if performing the analogous positive comparison would return a “no” answer.

708.6c If an effect performs a comparison involving multiple characteristics of one or more split cards in any zone other than the stack, each characteristic is compared separately. If each of the individual comparisons would return a “yes” answer, the whole comparison returns a “yes” answer.

Example: Void reads, “Choose a number. Destroy all artifacts and creatures with converted mana cost equal to that number. Then target player reveals his or her hand and discards all nonland cards with converted mana cost equal to the number.” If a player plays Void and chooses 1, his or her opponent would discard Assault/Battery because the game sees its converted mana cost as “1, and 4.” The same is true if the player chooses 4. If the player chooses 5, however, Assault/Battery would be unaffected.

Haly

The only thing I ever remember about Split Cards is that they work like you want them to with Cascade and Isochron Scepter.

Except when you're playing against them, then you wish they didn't work like your opponent wanted them to.

JulianImp

Unless they're being revealed off of a Dark Confidant, then they cause life loss equal to both sides, which is sort of unintuitive given the other interactions it has.

lingiii

Banned
so I just joined a draft league with some dudes who know what's up--including a recently-former Wizards employee--after having not played magic since middle school. we're drafting gatecrash right now. I came here from some hawt tipz but ya'll're talking ahead to new sets it looks like.

shit am I overwhelmed!

well, I managed to pull Assemble the Legion and Aurelia the Warleader, along with a couple Boros charms and some batallion creatures, so I'm playing red/white. Plus, I like swarm-type white decks from way back when.

anybody got any guidance on how to distribute lands in my deck? what should I look out for in future week drafts? anything particular I should be prioritizing?

like I'm saying, I'm in super over my head right now so any pointers for an essentially new guy who knows the rules would be great.

Haly

Well yeah. But that's true with every Magic card.

Some interactions are more rage inducing than others. Isochron/Cascade + Split is one, Scapeshift is another. The deck works solely because of an unintuitive ruling regarding multiple permanents coming into play.

bigkrev

so I just joined a draft league with some dudes who know what's up--including a recently-former Wizards employee--after having not played magic since middle school. we're drafting gatecrash right now. I came here from some hawt tipz but ya'll're talking ahead to new sets it looks like.

shit am I overwhelmed!

well, I managed to pull Assemble the Legion and Aurelia the Warleader, along with a couple Boros charms and some batallion creatures, so I'm playing red/white. Plus, I like swarm-type white decks from way back when.

anybody got any guidance on how to distribute lands in my deck? what should I look out for in future week drafts? anything particular I should be prioritizing?

like I'm saying, I'm in super over my head right now so any pointers for an essentially new guy who knows the rules would be great.

The GENERAL advice i'd give a new player with a 2 color deck: Pile your cards by color, and count the individual colored mana symbols. (so you might have 13 White Mana and 15 Red Mana in a boros deck). Whichever one you have more of, run 9 of that land and 8 of the other land. If there is an extreme skew, go to 10-7 or 11-6.

Oh, and always play 40 cards. No exceptions. 41 cards is admitting you cannot properly build a deck.

If you have time, read Matthew Watkin's articles on the format. This is his first one http://puremtgo.com/articles/ars-arcanum-gatecrash-draft-overview . There is lots of technical stuff in there, but he does do a good job boiling it down.

1. Gatecrash is a very fast format. You need to make sure that your deck has plenty of ways to interact in the early game, or you simply will not survive.

2. On this same point, you should avoid things that cost more than 5 mana, unless they are tremendously powerful.

3. Also, if you are having a difficult decision between two cards, you should usually just take the cheaper card.

4. Boros is decidedly not the best deck in the format, and I highly recommend that people stop trying to force it. If you are fighting over Boros, your deck is going to end up terrible.

5. Black is the best color in the format, and either Orzhov or Dimir is the best deck. They are well equipped to handle the most played decks in the format.

6. Dimir is possibly the best deck in the format, despite being maligned by the MTG community as a whole. The key is to draft it like a tempo/combo deck, and not like a control deck, much like what happened with Izzet in RTR.

7. Boros will likely get worse in the next few weeks as its worst matchups become more popular.

ultron87

Is a Draft League where you draft once and then keep the same deck week to week and then add cards from later drafts? Or do you just draft something new every week?

ultron87

I disagree. There's not really any "effort" required if you're playing evolve. Cloudfin Raptor loves this card; as do Crowned Ceratok and Ivy Lane Denizen.

I guess the only question is whether you can get enough Evolve guys from only a single pack of Gatecrash backed up by the (likely) few +1/+1 cards in DM and Common Bond.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I disagree. There's not really any "effort" required if you're playing evolve. Cloudfin Raptor loves this card; as do Crowned Ceratok and Ivy Lane Denizen.

a) you need creatures on the field
b) they have to have a +1/+1 counter
c) they have to get in damage to your opponent

It's clunky and slow honestly. It will be really bad in this limited format because you aren't going to have to enough Evolve guys to make it really worthwhile.

Not to mention its a terrible topdeck when you're in a losing situation (as in you can't afford to attack or your guys have no way of getting through) as opposed to something really basic like Diviniation which is always stable and not dependent on having other pieces on the board.

Yeef

I guess the only question is whether you can get enough Evolve guys from only a single pack of Gatecrash backed up by the (likely) few +1/+1 cards in DM and Common Bond.
There are more limited formats than draft. I play lots of sealed and sealed league. Getting the support usually isn't an issue there.

In a draft it's certainly far from a top pick, but if you're running evolve and you end up with it, it's not an awful card. It'll typically be a non-aura curiosity that works on all your dudes. It also doesn't hurt that a handful of other guild mechanics use +1/+1 counters as well.

The Adder

Banned
a) you need creatures on the field
b) they have to have a +1/+1 counter
c) they have to get in damage to your opponent

It's clunky and slow honestly. It will be really bad in this limited format because you aren't going to have to enough Evolve guys to make it really worthwhile.

Not to mention its a terrible topdeck when you're in a losing situation (as in you can't afford to attack or your guys have no way of getting through) as opposed to something really basic like Diviniation which is always stable and not dependent on having other pieces on the board.

Rosewater's article said a lot of the cards in this set were built to bridge drafting both Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash where you're going to end up playing 3 colors (and therefore 3 guilds) a lot. That's a Simic/Dmir/Golgari card if I've ever seen one.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea and how many of those are you getting from a *single* GTC pack. Remember DGM limited is DGM GTC RTR.

lingiii

Banned
Is a Draft League where you draft once and then keep the same deck week to week and then add cards from later drafts? Or do you just draft something new every week?

I think he means sealed

yeah. we each got 6 or 7 packs to start, then do a draft round every week (with passing the boosters around and taking one). like I'm saying--still waded through the lingo :)

The GENERAL advice i'd give a new player with a 2 color deck: Pile your cards by color, and count the individual colored mana symbols. (so you might have 13 White Mana and 15 Red Mana in a boros deck). Whichever one you have more of, run 9 of that land and 8 of the other land. If there is an extreme skew, go to 10-7 or 11-6.

Oh, and always play 40 cards. No exceptions. 41 cards is admitting you cannot properly build a deck.

If you have time, read Matthew Watkin's articles on the format. This is his first one http://puremtgo.com/articles/ars-arcanum-gatecrash-draft-overview . There is lots of technical stuff in there, but he does do a good job boiling it down.

Thanks much for the tipz.

4. Boros is decidedly not the best deck in the format, and I highly recommend that people stop trying to force it. If you are fighting over Boros, your deck is going to end up terrible.

:lol

I have a little gas in Simic and a little in Dimir; maybe I'll try switch to one of them if a bunch comes up at our next booster opening.

ultron87

:lol

I have a little gas in Simic and a little in Dimir; maybe I'll try switch to one of them if a bunch comes up at our next booster opening.

If you got the cards for it there is no reason to switch out of it. Aurelia and Assemble the Legions are both great cards that can win you the game if you last that long.

kirblar

If you got the cards for it there is no reason to switch out of it. Aurelia and Assemble the Legions are both great cards that can win you the game if you last that long.
They're both in the "Top 10 cards of the format" - your deck is fine. Don't splash. (PS, which employee!)

Someone pointed out to me that Blood Scrivener lets you Dredge twice.

EVERY TIME YOU DRAW.

Buy up your Vengevines now!

Also, that Sire of Insanity art evokes Jupiter Devouring his Son quite nicely.

Sweet reprint.

9ezmjl6zzy_EN.jpg

Also - wow.
u1gpj8j2ko_EN.jpg

Haly

Oh a reprint.

Oh wow, a playable hoser. See this is what Teysa should've been!

I wonder if Mortify will see a reprint too. It would seem somewhat weird to reprint one and not the other, especially since they were both in the original Ravnica block.

Renegade Krasis 1GG
Creature - Beast Mutant (R)
Evolve
Whenever Renegade Krasis evolves, put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it.
3/2

Still trying to find an image for it.

Top Bottom