• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
This actually sounds really fun, and I think I have the collection to put one together (at the very least I can buy what I need). I should make a project of it

Playing a pauper cube is some of the most fun I've had playing magic. The fact there was a cob loaf there didn't hurt either.

MedIC86

Is there a site were you can see what decks were mostly played in what block (i know a lot of sites you can search for decks) for example the whole UG madness thing during torment etc.

Cubes are really awesome, I played a ton last year when a couple people I know built one. You can also customize for what you want so you can make certain types playable or less playable. We tweaked our cube to move more away from control and more towards aggro and stuff like that.

Evilore is right with certain things completely killing casual play. That's exactly how it was a year or two ago and then a couple people started winning solely due to the amount of powerful cards they would buy which just made it suck and just became a huge moneysink in an attempt to keep up with their purchasing.

bigkrev

Everyone finalize their Guild choice for the pre-release? Finally decided to go Orhzov- They are defensive enough, have the best removal, and have the best long term win potential with Extort.

ultron87

I signed up for Simic at the one I'm going to tomorrow because funsies. Haven't decided for Sunday yet. I'm leaning towards Orzhov but I wanna see how the guilds perform before I decide for sure. Since the one on Sunday is a pretty big event with a large amount of prizes I wouldn't mind picking the guild with a higher chances of taking the whole thing.

rCIZZLE

Everyone finalize their Guild choice for the pre-release? Finally decided to go Orhzov- They are defensive enough, have the best removal, and have the best long term win potential with Extort.

I ended up not preregistering so I'll just have to hope Orzhov is left over. If that doesn't work I'll probably try Boros with a heavy black splash.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
From a friend's Facebook 6 hours ago:

midnight release at full capacity of 144 players, I'm currently undefeated with a sick boros pool including 2 medics.

Lucky ass. My (non-midnight) pre-release starts in 1h20m, and if I pulled even one Frontline Medic I'd feel confident in my chances.

bigkrev

I picked Azorius at the midnight one and played Selesnia, then the next day picked Rakdos and play Azorius. I think I played a grand total of 3 cards from the guild pack over my 2 sealed pools.

Guess its good I used to grind those 4 pack sealed deck tournaments on MODO?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm not going, but if I was I'd go Gruul. Bloodrush is going to be absolute god damned bananas in limited and being able to splash Boros is also awesome.

bangai-o

Banned
i purchased four of those red wish cards (wish for a sorcery card from outside the game) not knowing that they are restricted.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I picked Azorius at the midnight one and played Selesnia, then the next day picked Rakdos and play Azorius. I think I played a grand total of 3 cards from the guild pack over my 2 sealed pools.

Guess its good I used to grind those 4 pack sealed deck tournaments on MODO?

That's why you go Gruul because it's between Simic and Boros which seem to be the frontrunners depending on who you ask.

Hero

Cubes are really awesome, I played a ton last year when a couple people I know built one. You can also customize for what you want so you can make certain types playable or less playable. We tweaked our cube to move more away from control and more towards aggro and stuff like that.

Evilore is right with certain things completely killing casual play. That's exactly how it was a year or two ago and then a couple people started winning solely due to the amount of powerful cards they would buy which just made it suck and just became a huge moneysink in an attempt to keep up with their purchasing.

It's just like any other hobby though. If you and your friends are playing a video game like Halo or Street Fighter, are you going to get mad if they developed a stronger interest in it and dedicate themselves to getting better at it?

It's different in the fact that there is a financial factor to a CCG as opposed to the typical pay for it once style of owning a video game, but wouldn't you want people you play with to get better and offer you more competition?

Throughout high school we typically only played "kitchen table Magic" and then I became "that guy" because I wanted to play at my LGS so I started playing more competitive decks. When we quit due to people graduating and what not, we eventually came back to it but after more playing, my group has shifted towards Legacy now and they're mostly all very good players now, which is great for everyone since we have a viable pool of cards to play competitive decks and playtest against one another.

It's probably a YMMV thing but with the uber casual style I think after a while it gets pretty boring. Someone would have a life gain deck or a burn deck or a mono green creature deck and that's fine and all but to me it got kind of boring after a few years of that.

But it's alright, for casual Magic we have EDH/Commander and Planechase now for the multiplayer aspect and Cube for the limited drafting. Think my group has a solid balance overall and I'm highly thankful for that. I think my viewpoint is going to be in the minority here though. :)

It's just like any other hobby though. If you and your friends are playing a video game like Halo or Street Fighter, are you going to get mad if they developed a stronger interest in it and dedicate themselves to getting better at it?

It's different in the fact that there is a financial factor to a CCG as opposed to the typical pay for it once style of owning a video game, but wouldn't you want people you play with to get better and offer you more competition?

Throughout high school we typically only played "kitchen table Magic" and then I became "that guy" because I wanted to play at my LGS so I started playing more competitive decks. When we quit due to people graduating and what not, we eventually came back to it but after more playing, my group has shifted towards Legacy now and they're mostly all very good players now, which is great for everyone since we have a viable pool of cards to play competitive decks and playtest against one another.

It's probably a YMMV thing but with the uber casual style I think after a while it gets pretty boring. Someone would have a life gain deck or a burn deck or a mono green creature deck and that's fine and all but to me it got kind of boring after a few years of that.

But it's alright, for casual Magic we have EDH/Commander and Planechase now for the multiplayer aspect and Cube for the limited drafting. Think my group has a solid balance overall and I'm highly thankful for that. I think my viewpoint is going to be in the minority here though. :)

That's really not a similar argument at all. The problem is the amount of money you have to sink into it. If it was a game or whatever then you can practice more. Even if you all have the smaller pool of cards you can still have people who practice and who are better than the others, that has nothing to do with money whatsoever. They're simply not comparable.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It's more like using performance enhancing drugs while everyone else stays clean. Then you start beating them and they're left with either doing PEDs themselves, quitting, or being okay with losing every time despite the honest efforts they're putting in.

The evil temptations of CCGs, alas. Don't be a Lance ;b

i purchased four of those red wish cards (wish for a sorcery card from outside the game) not knowing that they are restricted.

I drew up and started building a Commander/EDH list centered around Coalition Victory, got the deck around 75% built when a buddy mine said "Dude, I think that card is banned..."

Crap.

Hero

That's really not a similar argument at all. The problem is the amount of money you have to sink into it. If it was a game or whatever then you can practice more. Even if you all have the smaller pool of cards you can still have people who practice and who are better than the others, that has nothing to do with money whatsoever. They're simply not comparable.

I mentioned this in my post that it's not directly comparable. However even outside CCGs and video games hobbies typically have varying levels of monetary investments which can as barriers to entry.

It's more like using performance enhancing drugs while everyone else stays clean. Then you start beating them and they're left with either doing PEDs themselves, quitting, or being okay with losing every time despite the honest efforts they're putting in.

The evil temptations of CCGs, alas.

Are you saying Lance Armstrong played MtG?

LProtag

I went to a release once two years ago where I did a sealed deck event. It was pretty fun. I drafted once or twice too.

I kinda want to go to prerelease for drafting or sealed, but I probably don't know enough about the game and would get clobbered. Especially with drafting.

Hero

I went to a release once two years ago where I did a sealed deck event. It was pretty fun. I drafted once or twice too.

I kinda want to go to prerelease for drafting or sealed, but I probably don't know enough about the game and would get clobbered. Especially with drafting.

The newest set, Gatecrash, is having a prerelease this weekend. It's a sealed deck event and the set is stand alone, meaning nobody has played with this card pool before so everyone is on an even playing field when it comes to that.

I would highly recommend checking it out this weekend at your nearest game shop.

The evil temptations of CCGs, alas. Don't be a Lance ;b

This man gets it! :D

He's saying Brian Kibler dopes up.

YOU LEAVE KIBLER ALONE

rCIZZLE

I drew up and started building a Commander/EDH list centered around Coalition Victory, got the deck around 75% built when a buddy mine said "Dude, I think that card is banned..."

Crap.

I think it's crap considering there are plenty of 2 and 3 (mostly blue) card infinite mana, turn, or draw combos. If your group is a little flexible it'd be worth asking if they'd make an exception. That's what we did with Primeval Titan with the clause being you could find basics, duals, shocks, filters, etc. No coffers, urborg, ith, or the others.

LProtag

The newest set, Gatecrash, is having a prerelease this weekend. It's a sealed deck event and the set is stand alone, meaning nobody has played with this card pool before so everyone is on an even playing field when it comes to that.

I would highly recommend checking it out this weekend at your nearest game shop.

Right, I meant I was thinking about going to that. Is it always sealed for prerelease events?

Might be a little late if it's this weekend though, I thought it was next weekend but I guess that is the release.

kirblar

I actually have ADHD, but the meds definitely helps keep me from missing things/keep your play tight. I'm a better player on them than off because of all the small marginal things that I don't miss.

Until round 8-9 when the carriage turns back into a pumpkin. :(

YOU LEAVE KIBLER ALONE
FINKEL WAS ROBBED!

I think it's crap considering there are plenty of 2 and 3 (mostly blue) card infinite mana, turn, or draw combos. If your group is a little flexible it'd be worth asking if they'd make an exception. That's what we did with Primeval Titan with the clause being you could find basics, duals, shocks, filters, etc. No coffers, urborg, ith, or the others.

Yeah, the deck I built is NEARLY that competitive. Mainly just multicolored shenanigans like Door To Nothingness, Nephilims + Knight of New Alara, etc. I personally don't think the card is nearly as bad as something like Bribery or Iona.

Shuffling, to point, is a very good thing. Shuffling a card into your hand before you even view it is a very good practice as well.

Kibler definitely takes it over the top with his flicking, but if you go to SCG or GP events, it's pretty rampant and you definitely get used to it.

Hero

Right, I meant I was thinking about going to that. Is it always sealed for prerelease events?

Might be a little late if it's this weekend though, I thought it was next weekend but I guess that is the release.

Yeah, prerelease are always sealed events. Not sure how much you know about the current Return to Ravinca block but the twist on the sealed portion is that for the event you choose one of 5 guilds to represent for the tournament and you receive a special box of contents.

You get a guild themed box with 6 booster packs, 5 regular Gatecrash booster packs and 1 special prerelease-only guild pack containing ONLY cards from your chosen guild (they'll have the guild watermark on them) as well as a guild prerelease card which for the first time ever you can actually use in your constructed deck. You also get a spindown die, sticker and a guild letter for theme. You don't have to play your guild if you don't want but the guild pack gives you 15 guild cards so it's really easy to have a decent deck to start from.

You might want to check with your local game store, even for the regular release events (like Gatecrash release next weekend) they still typically do a sealed event but I know some stores do draft. Can't hurt to ask!

Shuffling, to point, is a very good thing. Shuffling a card into your hand before you even view it is a very good practice as well.

Kibler definitely takes it over the top with his flicking, but if you go to SCG or GP events, it's pretty rampant and you definitely get used to it.

How so? Setting aside the already-mentioned Miracle stuff, the act of drawing a card should be deliberate. At the very least, your opponent should be aware that you're drawing, so why not take the time to look before shuffling the card into your hand?

kirblar

How so? Setting aside the already-mentioned Miracle stuff, the act of drawing a card should be deliberate. At the very least, your opponent should be aware that you're drawing, so why not take the time to look before shuffling the card into your hand?
Same reason people don't look at their hole cards until its their time to bet in Poker. Avoid giving a reaction away.

Same reason people don't look at their hole cards until its their time to bet in Poker. Avoid giving a reaction away.

Ah, makes sense. I guess it's easy to inadvertently "go through" a land quicker than something with options like a Restoration Angel.

kirblar

Ah, makes sense. I guess it's easy to inadvertently "go through" a land quicker than something with options like a Restoration Angel.
Yup. For an extreme (and insane) example of physical tells/bluffing being used- look up Martell v Estratti and the most insane bluff ever.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is another one of the benefits of MTGO, it handles all all these things for you!

rCIZZLE

I'm still skeptical of physical tells. Sounds like hollywood nonsense that makes card games appear cooler than they actually are.

This is another one of the benefits of MTGO, it handles all all these things for you!

There's a reason people who are good at physical card games also perform well at online ones and it has nothing to do with minor changes of facial expression.

FINKEL WAS ROBBED!

Yeah, the deck I built is NEARLY that competitive. Mainly just multicolored shenanigans like Door To Nothingness, Nephilims + Knight of New Alara, etc. I personally don't think the card is nearly as bad as something like Bribery or Iona.

Finkel sucks, he hasn't done much in a while. Plus I don't really like his attitude. In the deck techs and stuff I've seen more recently he comes off as cold. I really don't get the following he has.

Top Bottom