• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

It's funny people mentioning earlier the very two things my friends were joking/confused/annoyed/complaining about after going to their very first draft the other week.

1. People constantly shuffling the cards in their hands like maniacs, making my friends feel rushed like they were ruining the other players day by taking a few seconds to do something

2. People putting their land above their creatures, which none of my friends (or I) had ever seen before

Well, DotP is available on OS X, so it is possible. Just very unlikely I guess. Maybe they are waiting for the right developer to come along?

Edit:

Good idea. TBH it's not even the nerds that bother me usually. It's the elitists that act like they are too cool to be there. The nerds I can understand.

Eh, I don't know about likely. If it's been this long and MTGO still doesn't support OSX then I don't think they're in any rush to make it a reality. Naturally if they did it would fix a lot, at least for OSX users.

It's funny people mentioning earlier the very two things my friends were joking/confused/annoyed/complaining about after going to their very first draft the other week.

1. People constantly shuffling the cards in their hands like maniacs, making my friends feel rushed like they were ruining the other players day by taking a few seconds to do something

2. People putting their land above their creatures, which none of my friends (or I) had ever seen before

Wait, the shuffling made them feel rushed? I do the shuffling but it's not because I'm inpatient or anything. I usually really lax on time except when it's low and they're taking way too much time, especially for something that isn't a crucial move.

bigkrev

Eh, I don't know about likely. If it's been this long and MTGO still doesn't support OSX then I don't think they're in any rush to make it a reality. Naturally if they did it would fix a lot, at least for OSX users.

Wait, the shuffling made them feel rushed? I do the shuffling but it's not because I'm inpatient or anything. I usually really lax on time except when it's low and they're taking way too much time, especially for something that isn't a crucial move.

I think the long term dream is to make the game executable in a Browser, so you don't need to worry about OSX vs Windows or anything.

I am guilty of shuffling cards in my hand. It gets real bad when I only have 2-4 cards in my hand. Its not meant to rush you or anything, its just my ADD that is forcing me to do it.

I don't think it was so much just that they were doing it, but specifically the way they were doing it.

f0rk

Yeah it's just a ADD thing that comes from habit. I doubt many people are thinking AH MAN I'M SO PRO LOOK AT THESE CARDS GO while doing it, but some in this thread seem to get really pissed at it lol

Just remembered I kickstarted solforge, I wonder how the online will work out on that. They seemed to suggest it would be a lot cheaper as it won't be tied to the legacy of paper like Magic is. Not getting my hopes up too much for the game as the mechanics just look like Magic with Naya colours only.

I don't think it was so much just that they were doing it, but specifically the way they were doing it.

Like they also looked pissed off or there's a certain way to shuffle? I've had people apologize for taking long to make moves but I always tell them not to worry about it unless we're really low on time.

Yeah it's just a ADD thing that comes from habit. I doubt many people are thinking AH MAN I'M SO PRO LOOK AT THESE CARDS GO while doing it, but some in this thread seem to get really pissed at it lol

Just remembered I kickstarted solforge, I wonder how the online will work out on that. They seemed to suggest it would be a lot cheaper as it won't be tied to the legacy of paper like Magic is. Not getting my hopes up too much for the game as the mechanics just look like Magic with Naya colours only.

For me it's usually just to keep myself busy. I also twirled my pen since like beginning of middle school like the scientist or whatever in goldeneye does. Sometimes it is to mix up my cards but usually not.

rCIZZLE

The card shuffling still annoys the hell out of me. I highly doubt there's ever any strategical advantage you'll get from flipping your cards back and forth.

JulianImp

Personally, I still don't understand why I've begun shuffling cards, or why others do the same. Is it simply because we saw others doing it? Personally, I've never seen video footage of professional players, so I probably picked up the habit from watching people at my LGS instead; it's like some kind of habit that went viral.

Also, how do you guys shuffle your decks? I absolutely loathe riffle shuffles, but so far I've been lucky enough to not come up against opponents which tried to shuffle my decks that way. I often start with a simple pile shuffle with seven piles (as neither sixty nor forty are divisible by it), and then do some regular shuffling, shoving a fraction of the deck into the other from either side and gently nudging the cards, repeating the process several more times to make sure the deck's properly randomized.

I often start with a simple pile shuffle with seven piles (as neither sixty nor forty are divisible by it), and then do some regular shuffling, shoving a fraction of the deck into the other from either side and gently nudging the cards, repeating the process several more times to make sure the deck's properly randomized.

This is literally what I do.

What format do you guys usually play? I'm never touching Standard. I've only touched Limited like twice..during some pre-release / release events.

I used to play casual Legacy...and then moved on EDH.

Now I have about 6 EDH decks (Azami, Edric, Lin Sivvi, Zedruu, Nath, Lord of Tresserhorn)..and planning more.

EDH MP is just so damn enjoyable! Hate the shuffling though. Wonder if there's a shuffling machine for MtG cards that works with sleeves.

Jarate

Banned
The only problem I have with hand shuffling is when timmy "my mom bought me this net deck" johnson starts doing it and he can't even pull off a proper strategy with the deck and then starts doing it. It really shouldn't bother me, but my thought is i you sat there and sat with your cards and looked at them and developed a good strategy with them, then you'd be a better player.

bigkrev

What format do you guys usually play? I'm never touching Standard. I've only touched Limited like twice..during some pre-release / release events.

Now I have about 6 EDH decks (Azami, Edric, Lin Sivvi, Zedruu, Nath, Lord of Tresserhorn)..and planning more.

EDH MP is just so damn enjoyable! Hate the shuffling though. Wonder if there's a shuffling machine for MtG cards that works with sleeves.

I mostly play limited. The style of game you get is more interactive than most formats in regards to creature combat and strategy. It's also the only format where you can play 1/6's and the like and have them not be terrible (I think I forced Blue in every INN draft due to Fortress Crab being my favorite card).

Volimar

Pun in the title so painful it's awesome. It sucks that I've been so broke since before RtR. I had my nephew and some of his friends getting into the game.

Those guild boxes seem like a good idea too.

JulianImp

I love limited formats for several reasons: because of the added emphasis on common and uncommon cards, because you owning lots of powerful and expensive cards means nothing since all you can rely on is what you pull from your packs, and because it forces you to think outside the box in order to design a viable deck using limited resources.

Sealed is my preferred format, followed closely by Draft (where you'll often end up with a single viable deck with little to not enough cards to switch colors and/or strategies, unlike Sealed), but I also like Standard, since the smaller card pool makes degenerate strategies and decks less likely to show up. I'd love to find a community for playing Commander, because I love the format but haven't found anyone I can play it with.

I've also tried out a commons-only eternal format, and had fun with it building a deck per week until I realized almost everybody went for uber-spike decks and hyperefficient cards, making it too competitive for my taste.

rCIZZLE

Draft has been my favorite and really the only one I played up until I bult an EDH deck about a year ago. Now I really want to get into Legacy as there are enough people in my area that we could probably get a weekly or bi-weekly tournament going at our shop. I really despise standard and don't care for modern due to wizard's banhappy ways and the price swings that induces.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just don't come crying to us when someone "accidentally" spills mountain dew all over your cards.

(I kid, I kid)

bigkrev

When I show up to this pre-release on Saturday, is everyone going to hate me for my non-sleeving ways?

In limited its fine, but I hate when my opponents don't sleeve because it makes it much harder to shuffle there deck when they present it to me.

Also, depending on the basic lands your store has, less savory people might grab older lands that have slightly different colored backs and play those unsleaved, letting them look at the top card to know if they have a land or spell coming up.

Zoibie

Free yourselves from the shackles of plastic oppression. Trust me, you'll feel much better going au naturale...

But never leave home without a playmat, don't want to look like a crazy person.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Bottom line, you're potentially throwing money away for absolutely no reason. I mean, it's kind of cute to pretend you don't give a shit, but some shit is just kinda dumb. Don't chuck away money, bro.

OnPoint

Laziness mostly. General dislike of sleeves also.

Rad.

One day we will rise up and overthrow the sleeving aristocracy!

My first Force of Will and first few revised duals are why I will literally always sleeve decks from now on. They're in way worse condition than they need to be because I was a cheapo teenager and didn't buy sleeves.

y2dvd

Draft is my favorite format as I think it's most skilled intensive. I got a coworker who only plays drafts and just gives away his cards. He's picking up mtg again for gatecrash so I will gladly take all those cards off of his hands lol.

rCIZZLE

Bottom line, you're potentially throwing money away for absolutely no reason. I mean, it's kind of cute to pretend you don't give a shit, but some shit is just kinda dumb. Don't chuck away money, bro.

Not like we're pulling JTMS or Goyf this weekend. Most of us will probably get a shock that we can't even play. I'm expecting my deck to be worth <10.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
When I show up to this pre-release on Saturday, is everyone going to hate me for my non-sleeving ways?

Just buy some penny sleeves. $1 for a hundred.

Draft is my favorite format as I think it's most skilled intensive. I got a coworker who only plays drafts and just gives away his cards. He's picking up mtg again for gatecrash so I will gladly take all those cards off of his hands lol.

Draft and Sealed are my favorite because they force you to work with sub-optimal cards and thus discover interactions you might never otherwise notice. You're forced to evaluate every card in the set as potentially playable because of how, well, limited your selection is.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I really need to sit down and play some Magic this coming week. But playing casual decks against RTR and the like in non-tournament sets with the power creep seems a fools errand. :(

I'm playing a burn deck in the New Player Room. I think this makes me the worst person.

Hah. And I thought the "Wielding Steel" deck from DotP '12 in the Planeswalker format was broken.

In limited its fine, but I hate when my opponents don't sleeve because it makes it much harder to shuffle there deck when they present it to me.

Also, depending on the basic lands your store has, less savory people might grab older lands that have slightly different colored backs and play those unsleaved, letting them look at the top card to know if they have a land or spell coming up.

Ya, that's the only reason I hate it. Makes it hard to cut/randomize on them. I mean I don't think you can just riffle shuffle but I've also had those people try to cheat the most. Do really bullshit shuffling techniques because they know there's no good way to shuffle unless you do something they can bitch about like riffle shuffling.

Top Bottom