• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

OnPoint

Unfortunately the image from Reddit seems likely.

Some more split cards were spoiled:

Down//Dirty 3B//2G
Sorcery//Sorcery
Target player discards two cards.//Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
Fuse

Ready//Willing 1GW//1BW
Instant//Instant
Creatures you control are indestructible this turn.//Creatures you control gain deathtouch and lifelink until end of turn.
Fuse

Those names! :lol :lol :lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
fe2YRs8.jpg

Dragonshift:
Instant
Target creature you control becomes a 4/4 Dragon with flying until end of turn.
Overload

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, see, I like dragon shift. That overload is just hilarious. Plus, it plays great with Nivix Cyclops, Electromancer, and Guttersnipe. Perfect casual deck right there

JulianImp

fe2YRs8.jpg

Dragonshift:
Instant
Target creature you control becomes a 4/4 dragon until the end of turn
Overload

Most likely grants flying as well. I'm really happy with the card, since it's an exciting card to overload. I wish it'd work with opposing creatures as well for the odd occasion of using it to "shrink" opposing beaters.

The elemental in Emmara's art almost meant it was a given she'd be creating them, and that theory does seem quite plausible. I wish they'd have just remade the card rather than switching cards and rarities around, but I guess they didn't have much time to change the ards and playtest them enough to make sure they worked.

I'd have liked the cards and rarities a lot better if they were like that, perhaps by switching the Advent for the Voice as mythic, since wurm tokens don't sound mythic to me, and Emmara could've costed 1 more to make sure she wouldn't get out of hand if she proved to be too powerful in playtesting. Instead, we get a lame guild champion and a chase mythic. :(

Some more split cards were spoiled:

Down//Dirty 3B//2G
Sorcery//Sorcery
Target player discards two cards.//Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
Fuse

Ready//Willing 1GW//1BW
Instant//Instant
Creatures you control are indestructible this turn.//Creatures you control gain deathtouch and lifelink until end of turn.
Fuse

Protect//Serve 2W//2U
Instant//Instant
Target creature gets +2/+4 until end of turn.//Target creature gets -4/-0 until end of turn.
Fuse

Profit//Loss 2W//2B
Instant//Instant
Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.//Creatures your opponents control get -1/-1 until end of turn.
Fuse

This is exactly what I meant when I said on the previous page that more and more of a set is starting to feel like "pure Limited jank". Are good uncommons and commons no longer printable because of "Limited game balance"? What happened to Limited game balance for the 10 years before NWO, was that so awful that we had to stop printing good uncommons and commons?

Profit/Loss is hilarious after Zealous Persecution. Unlike many of the other fuse cards, you can't even pretend that you're paying more for flexibility, and yet the cost is somehow {4} more.

Oh absolutely. But that is still a ton of mana.

Obviously the flexibility makes it more costly but I think 5 cmc would be fine. Probably.

This is barely more flexible than ZP, only if you somehow want just one half of it (only have white mana say), which is a pretty un-spectacular effect for 2 mana let alone 3. You shouldn't run this card at all if you can't cast both halves, since the rate is terrible.

ultron87

What flexibility? This isn't more flexible than ZP unless for some reason you really care about not getting one of the bonuses.

I was starting with the assumption that ZP is undercosted. Which it probably is.

So if you're going to cost the split card version you need to first determine what ZP would cost today (probably 4 CMC?) and then you need to add something to the fuse cost since it being a split card means it is more powerful due to the flexibility.

WanderingWind

Yea my super johnny friend is already brewing a way to do this with this guy in play:
Image.ashx

2 x Utvara
2 x Thundermaw
4 x Dragonshift
4 x Electromancer
4 x Guttersnipe
4 x Izzet Charm
4 x Mizzium
4 x Tin Street Denizen
4 x Legion Loyalist
2 x Mezzet
2 x Izzet Staticaster

lol

I was starting with the assumption that ZP is undercosted. Which it probably is.

What does this mean? This isn't Jace TMS undercosted, it's Incinerate undercosted. You know, when Incinerate was so overpowered that they had to use Volcanic Hammer as the standard in 9th edition. ZP is, in fact, in a really good place on the game's curve.

You know what's actually undercosted? Those garbage value-bomb cards they print in every set now (Thragtusk, Huntmaster of the Fells, Consecrated Sphinx, etc.) . Well, they're not really undercosted, since they shouldn't exist in this quantity at any price. This seems like such a weird thing to be focusing on.

So if you're going to cost the split card version you need to first determine what ZP would cost today (probably 4 CMC?)

why does ZP need to be at 4 CMC, it becomes like a medium draft pick that you will never look at again after that draft. Why does every card need to be a purely disposable card that is a mediocre Limited pick?

Already at 2 CMC it was primarily a standard staple card and obviously a great limited card.

ultron87

It obviously doesn't have to cost that. That's just where I felt like it would fall for that kind of effect with the power level they are currently shooting for. Cower in Fear was 1BB in M13.

I'm sorry they didn't make it a constructed worthy card.

JulianImp

If you look at Orzhov Pontiff, it makes more sense. ZP feels a bit pushed to me, mostly since it absolutely wrecks X/1s while pumping up your whole team at once. That and it'd probably be pretty bonkers with Lingering Souls in standard, even if it didn't nuke the opposing team if they had that +1/+1 and viligiglance-granting enchantment.

Still, I think Profit//Loss could've been something different rather than a bland design where the two modes don't even synergize together in any interesting way. Even more so since Orzhov doesn't seem like a guild that cares about overwhelming you with a swarm of creatures.

Oh, so in the end the Emmara swap thing was exactly like that image said. It's quite disappointing, really.

Ready//Willing sounds versatile and sort of good (protects from control's sweepers and lets you gain an edge in the damage race against aggro), Protect//Serve is ridiculously bad for an uncommon, and Down/Dirty looks kind of bad (at least Dirty is a functional reprint of Recollect from the original Ravnica block, but the discard 2 por 3B part...).

There was a lot of massaging of both cards? what?

I don't understand, it takes literally 5 minutes to make a throwaway rare that's better than Emmara. (see, uh, Giant Adephage, or literally every equivalent bargain Timmy rare from the past few sets).

And at 7 mana, we're not exactly talking a Jitte/Skullclamp level mistake being possible here. Even if they were ludicrously scared of a possible mistake, why didn't the "we better play it 300% safe on a last minute change" apply to Voice of Resurgence, which is... a 2 mana card that will actually be relevant for formats?

Whatever, it's at least easier to ignore an awful design that is terrible, than it is to ignore an awful design that is overpowered.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maybe next set is heavily token based or something.

ultron87

The only thing that makes it different from other mediocre rares we've seen over the years is the flavor suckage and that it is in a high profile cycle.

Yeef

So if you're going to cost the split card version you need to first determine what ZP would cost today (probably 4 CMC?) and then you need to add something to the fuse cost since it being a split card means it is more powerful due to the flexibility.
I think comparing each side, individually, to Glorious Charge and Cower in Fear, respectively makes a little more sense.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
As bad as Emmera is, she still isn't as bad as the dimir one. That's the card that really deserves some hate.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
As bad as Emmera is, she still isn't as bad as the dimir one. That's the card that really deserves some hate.

No one cares about Dimir though, while Selesnya is everyone's favorite guild.

castlegar

Anyone doing the pre-release next week? What guild's are you thinking?

Probably going aggro. Can't decide between Rakdos, Gruul, or Boros.

ultron87

His ability at least is splashy and exciting for someone somewhere. Johnny Milldeck is pumped to repeatedly mind grind for 4.

Anyone doing the pre-release next week? What guild's are you thinking?

Probably going aggro. Can't decide between Rakdos, Gruul, or Boros.

Azorius for the first cause they're my guild. If I could pick my ally it'd be Orzhov to go Esper.

Dunno for the second. The Spike choice is probably trying to get Boros/Rakdos to run everyone over.

Lucario

Taking the selesnya guild pack at the prerelease. I've got a fifty fifty chance of being able to go naya in what looks like a slow format, and what looks like a lot of mana fixing. It seems correct to take midrangey colors, but azorius could get you locked in esper, which seems.... Okay I guess.

JulianImp

I'm thinking about going Golgari for one (since I'd dodge getting Boros, which I despise, as my allied guild) and... some other guild for the second event. Simic could work, since that'd dodge Rakdos (another guild I don't like).

The guild pack rares are sort of schewed towards some guilds more than others, which is another reason to make me second-guess my primary guild choice.

WanderingWind

Oh, wait, two?

Golgari/Dimir is my choice if I'm feeling like just playing to have a good time.
Orzhov/Golgari if I want to win.

Zocano

I really wanted Dimir to be great. WOTC has been consistently hating on control, right? I've been wanting to make a mill deck and cipher could've been neat with a bunch of the unblockable rogues and invisible stalkers but the ciphers all costed too much. It just feels like they're afraid with aggressively costing Dimir while every other guild has a fair amount of good playables. Or am I just crazy and this isn't the case at all. Again, I've been wanting to make like a BUG or UB deck for a while now but there isn't a lot for me to work with?

Edit: I'll probably end up picking Golgari as my main guild (like I did for the RTR prerelease) and shooting for orzhov as a secondary. Maybe Orzhov and hoping for golgari.

You can't really expect Cipher to be a standard powerhouse, as very few of the guild mechanics show up on Standard staple cards.

It's not like populate or scavenge is particularly compelling in that regard. Despite that, Golgari was still the favored child of this block. Azorius in close second.

Top Bottom