• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

JulianImp

This is... actually kind of a problem, yeah.

Are counterspells still dominant in competitive decks right now?

Hidden Strings overlaps a bit too much with Hands of Binding, and is kind of weak post-combat, unlike the latter.

Beetleform Mage looks like a solid beater at common. I liked Frilled Oculus back in GTC, and I'll probably like this here.

Species Gorger doesn't look to exciting, since it's just a big, boring beater. It does power up evolve, but the card design has already been done several times in the past.

Woodlot Crawler looks like a crazy card to be running in a multicolored deck. Chances are several opponents will be playing green, and even without that it's a decent beater. Luckily, it's uncommon.

Tithe Drinker makes Child of the Night look like crap. It has a relevant body (even if it sort of sucks in limited since it can't attack into anything but 0/Xs, and you probably don't want to do that) and is a common as well.

Fluxcharger could be amazing in the right circumstances, and at least hold down the ground while forcing your opponents to leave creatures behind to block its 5/1 body, and it's a weird as well! <3

Lucario

Are counterspells still dominant in competitive decks right now?

Hidden Strings overlaps a bit too much with Hands of Binding, and is kind of weak post-combat, unlike the latter.

Beetleform Mage looks like a solid beater at common. I liked Frilled Oculus back in GTC, and I'll probably like this here.

Species Gorger doesn't look to exciting, since it's just a big, boring beater. It does power up evolve, but the card design has already been done several times in the past.

Woodlot Crawler looks like a crazy card to be running in a multicolored deck. Chances are several opponents will be playing green, and even without that it's a decent beater. Luckily, it's uncommon.

Tithe Drinker makes Child of the Night look like crap. It has a relevant body (even if it sort of sucks in limited since it can't attack into anything but 0/Xs, and you probably don't want to do that) and is a common as well.

Fluxcharger could be amazing in the right circumstances, and at least hold down the ground while forcing your opponents to leave creatures behind to block its 5/1 body, and it's a weird as well! <3

Counterspells have nothing to do with it. Naya humans is the deck that wants to play him, and he isn't a human, so.... yeah. That's an issue.

JulianImp

Counterspells have nothing to do with it. Naya humans is the deck that wants to play him, and he isn't a human, so.... yeah. That's an issue.

Oh, Champion of the Parish... I was thinking the deck was running Cavern of Souls or something. Looks like I'm out of current metagame trends, but I guess that's what I get for playing exclusively at my LGS for over nine months.

Lucario

Oh, Champion of the Parish... I was thinking the deck was running Cavern of Souls or something. Looks like I'm out of current metagame trends, but I guess that's what I get for playing exclusively at my LGS for over nine months.

Cavern too. It's manafixing and counterspell prevention, and honestly, we're going to be seeing a lot of Plasm Capture at FNM level play coming up.

Also, syncopate and dissipate see play.

3-0ed my draft :3

JulianImp

Cavern too. It's manafixing and counterspell prevention, and honestly, we're going to be seeing a lot of Plasm Capture at FNM level play coming up.

Also, syncopate and dissipate see play.

3-0ed my draft :3

I was trying out some Spell Ruptures, but I guess that's ridiculously bad for competitive decks, right? I'm trying to find cards I could use in my Simic deck to dodge sweepers, since playing with Evolve means the deck probably rolls over and dies after a sweep.

I'm also still trying to make a deck with Mirror-Mad Phantasm in it. I've tried a Burning Vengeance deck, but it was kind of awful. Perhaps it'd work in a BUG mill-yourself deck...
yeah, right, who am I kidding.

Wichu

I was trying out some Spell Ruptures, but I guess that's ridiculously bad for competitive decks, right? I'm trying to find cards I could use in my Simic deck to dodge sweepers, since playing with Evolve means the deck probably rolls over and dies after a sweep.

I'm also still trying to make a deck with Mirror-Mad Phantasm in it. I've tried a Burning Vengeance deck, but it was kind of awful. Perhaps it'd work in a BUG mill-yourself deck...

Too bad one of the commonest sweepers is Supreme Verdict - counterspells won't really help. Unfortunately, green/blue doesn't have many answers to a Supreme Verdict that I'm aware of. You can regenerate your Experiment Ones, and that's about it. You'll have to play around it and keep a creature or two in your hand just in case.

The best strategy might be just to have lots of card draw (e.g. Zegana), so even if you do get blown out, you can quickly repopulate the board.

Lucario

Never discard anything as 'awful' offhand. If you have the money and are interested in seeing how they perform, start playing around in the tournament practice room. Tweak your deck, get a good sideboard, and figure it out.

If it turns out awful, figure something else out. While I admit Spell Rupture isn't what I want to be playing in Standard right now, I'm sure you can make it stomp at FNM if you want to. If nobody plays caverns, though, why not just use syncopate/cancel/whatever?

Lucario

I'm bummed that there is no "return target spell to owner's hand" counterspell for all the uncounterable stuff.

Out of standard, but Venser and Mindbreak Trap work.

just drafted mono red in shadowmoor. These queues are amazing, I suggest some limited-skilled gaffers jump in.

OnPoint

Too bad one of the commonest sweepers is Supreme Verdict - counterspells won't really help. Unfortunately, green/blue doesn't have many answers to a Supreme Verdict that I'm aware of. You can regenerate your Experiment Ones, and that's about it. You'll have to play around it and keep a creature or two in your hand just in case.

The best strategy might be just to have lots of card draw (e.g. Zegana), so even if you do get blown out, you can quickly repopulate the board.

I've been running Boros Charm specifically for this purpose. The indestructibility clause is so strong.

ultron87

It's because it's going to either be terrible...or be Remand. It's a very narrow design space.

One that doesn't cantrip wouldn't automatically be terrible (depending on cost). Bouncing a Supreme Verdict could be a pretty big deal.

Out of standard, but Venser and Mindbreak Trap work.

"Exile target spell" would also be acceptable, but somewhat less interesting. And not a callback to a popular original Ravnica card.

kirblar

There are a ridiculous number of anti-wrath effects in Standard right now. Likely due to Verdict being uncounterable. But still better than the tempo deck "wrath, meet counter" situation.

f0rk

Looks like they are still deliberately avoiding a Pyroclasm equivalent

Are the anti wraths even seeing that much play? It seems to me if you are worried about them it should be better to just not overextend around them and use the slots of potentially dead cards for even more threats.

JulianImp

Never discard anything as 'awful' offhand. If you have the money and are interested in seeing how they perform, start playing around in the tournament practice room. Tweak your deck, get a good sideboard, and figure it out.

If it turns out awful, figure something else out. While I admit Spell Rupture isn't what I want to be playing in Standard right now, I'm sure you can make it stomp at FNM if you want to. If nobody plays caverns, though, why not just use syncopate/cancel/whatever?

I've been playing them on my Gwub deck to some success. I like them because they're better for leaving my options open (I play Restoriation Angel and Shambleshark), and for long games I often get a Wolfir Silverheart to make them pay 8 or lose their spells. The deck does well because it's a mix of good stuff, and partly because of Lingering Souls + Gavony Township and Strangleroot Geist giving me some options in case my board gets sweeped.

The thing is I feel like I'm just mashing powerful cards together. I originally built a pure Simic deck, but the Restoration Angels and the Lingering Souls were just too good to pass up, and then I kept adding cards and colors to the deck...

Once DGM hits, I'll probably try to brew something base UG, probably adding black for Lotleth Troll, the Golgari champion, Putrefy and some scavenge. I'll have to find some slightly hard-to-get cards for that deck, though (mostly both trolls), and I'm not sure how well the deck would work with Plasm Capture.

I might have to build a flash-oriented deck for that, instead... probably splashing white for Restos and Selesnya Charm, and possibly the surprise Wurm instant.

Lucario

1 Scar
1 Cinder Pyromancer
1 Flame Jab
1 Pyre Charger
16 Mountain
2 Fire at Will
1 Demigod of Revenge
2 Rattleblaze Scarecrow
1 Hateflayer
1 Duergar Assailant
1 Swamp
1 Rustrazor Butcher
1 Wicker Warcrawler
1 Duergar Cave-Guard
1 Kulrath Knight
1 Trip Noose
1 Blistering Dieflyn
1 Scuttlemutt
1 Bloodmark Mentor
1 Power of Fire
2 Puncture Blast
1 Torrent of Souls

Sideboard
2 Crumbling Ashes
1 Crimson Wisps
1 Woodfall Primus
1 Crowd of Cinders
1 Swirling Spriggan
1 Wingrattle Scarecrow
1 Manamorphose
1 Rite of Consumption
1 Disturbing Plot
1 Desecrator Hag
1 Swamp
1 Boggart Arsonists
1 Gwyllion Hedge-Mage
1 Sickle Ripper
1 Emberstrike Duo
1 Chainbreaker
1 Loch Korrigan
1 Jawbone Skulkin
1 Ashenmoor Cohort
1 Hollowsage
1 Cinderbones
1 Madblind Mountain

ron-paul.gif

YES I'M PLAYING ONE SWAMP IN CASE I WANT TO REANIMATE SOMETHING WITH TORRENT SHUT UP

Wichu

Back to the Simic deck, I can't believe I forgot how useful Thragtusk is against Supreme Verdict. Even if they boardwipe, you still have a 3/3 and 5 life.

OnPoint

I really hope Thragtusk isn't in M14. He's like the Titans - Obvious power, obvious card advantage, obnoxious to deal with.

There's almost no chance he ends up reprinted. He was totally format warping all by himself, which is something they seem to want to avoid.

ultron87

There's almost no chance he ends up reprinted. He was totally format warping all by himself, which is something they seem to want to avoid.

Might fall victim to the "we didn't want the expensive card you bought from the Core Set to rotate super fast" mentality. Unless they learned with the Titans.

JulianImp

Back to the Simic deck, I can't believe I forgot how useful Thragtusk is against Supreme Verdict. Even if they boardwipe, you still have a 3/3 and 5 life.

Except I don't have any of them, and they're kind of out of my budget. I'm playing Wolfir Silverhearts in their place, which are amazing as long as I'm not up against wraths. I'm playing Strangleroot Geists, though, but it doesn't evolve my Shamblesharks unless I get them killed on purpose, and then I'm just asking for a board wipe.

If I get some Plasm Capture, I might add Zameck Guildmages back into the deck since it'd be a way to spend the extra mana and they have some cute synergy with Strangleroots... except for the fact that I've no ways to sacrifice them. Perhaps the troll champion could help with that.

So far, the core of my deck used to be elves and Farseek for acceleration, Shambleshark and Strangleroot Geist for early-game pressure and Garruk Relentless / Wolfir Silverheart for late-game power. My Gwub deck also runs Centaur Healers to get in the way of aggro, Restoration Angel for general utility (even though its only targets are the Silverhearts and Healers), and Lingering Souls because they're broken (even more so with a Gavony Township out).

My three-drop slot is kinda dry in the UG version, but I guess the troll champion could change that. It's the reason behind running Farseek, so I can skip 3 CMC and go straight to four.

Might fall victim to the "we didn't want the expensive card you bought from the Core Set to rotate super fast" mentality. Unless they learned with the Titans.

I hope they did. The card obsoletes so many green midrange creatures it isn't even funny.

OnPoint

It's possible. They did, however, do their damndest to make sure people could get their hands on it with all the event decks it was included in. It could have easily became a $50 card if they didn't.

JulianImp

He won't. He was meant to fight Delver.

Reminds me of that article where they discussed how they kept making cards to counteract previous mistakes, only to realize the answers were as obnoxious and format-changing as the mistake they were trying to address.

Delver of Secrets

Whoops, Delver is too strong! Prints Thragtusk + lots of "can't be countered" spells

Whoops, Thragtusk slows down aggro, deals with control's sweepers and is ridiculous with Restoration Angel! Prints Boros Reckoner

Whoops, Reckoner makes combat too one-sided! ???

Seriously, I wish they'd just ban problematic cards rather than pushing overpowered designs that just topple the previous mistake and become format-warping themselves.

kirblar

Reckoner's actually fine. Spitemare never hurt anyone. (However, I do think it's why Putrefy got reprinted.)

Should be very, very interesting to see what happens when Cavern goes away.

It's not difficult for some decks to just 1-for-1 Reckoner. It's virtually impossible for any deck to not get 3-for-1'd or even 4-for-1'd by Tusk. Same principles that led stuff like Jund and Cawblade to the top of the heap. I don't think Tusk is ban-worthy, I just think he's worn out his welcome now.

Lucario

I might've been slightly incapacitated today, which resulted in like four shadowmoor drafts. Woo!

yep my limited rating is down to 1750

WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME SHADOWMOOR DRAFT WAS SO FUCKING FUN HOLY SHIT

I dunno; I played it a couple times yesterday, and while it was fun in the "this is new to me" sense, I had very mixed feelings about it. Every pack during the draft seemed to have meaningful decisions; no matter how deep into the draft you are, your deck can fit half the cards you're presented with in it. But then you find that even though it's a multicolor set, you're actually rewarded mostly for being a mostly single color that gets to play all sorts of weird hybrids. Then you factor in all of the incredibly powerful Auras (Steel of the Godhead OMG), cantrips that change creature colors being very relevant, the randomly unblockable Hill Giants, the tap-untap combos, etc - and it seems to me that the set (at least in the drafts I did) rewards drafting very linear powerful strategies and forcing your opponent to "have it."

To put it another way, in my very limited experience (did two drafts yesterday and went 1-1 in both - I'm not a very good limited player), the set feels complex for the sake of complexity, and that complexity doesn't necessarily make it "better."

Of course, maybe it's just me being disappointed by my own expectations. I saw it was coming to MODO, and I thought "Sweet, I love gold sets!" But it doesn't play like a gold set. It plays like its own unique thing that I wasn't expecting mentally.

Casanova

I'm sort of new to Magic but my friend (who plays daily) mentioned to me about a month ago that a new set was releasing this month in April.... Is this true and if so, when and what is the new set called?

I'm sort of new to Magic but my friend (who plays daily) mentioned to me about a month ago that a new set was releasing this month in April.... Is this true and if so, when and what is the new set called?

I believe next friday is a "pre-release" and then the following friday is the actual release. The name of the set is "Dragon's Maze" and it is the third and final part of this Return to Ravnica block, consisting of Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, and now Dragon's Maze

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It's the beginning of May and it's called Dragon's Maze.

Casanova

I believe next friday is a "pre-release" and then the following friday is the actual release. The name of the set is "Dragon's Maze" and it is the third and final part of this Return to Ravnica block, consisting of Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, and now Dragon's Maze

It's the beginning of May and it's called Dragon's Maze.

Cool guys thanks, I also have a card that he says I should really hold on to and I wanted to ask if he was right:

It's the black card desecration demon and I have two of them. I run a black/white deck

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Christ. I wanted to try to build The Aristocrats. Playsets of Olivia and Falkenrath equal 180 bucks!

Obzedat's MTGO price killed my dreams for my B/W zombies too.

This game is not cheap!

Yeef

Yeah, but he said once the other set goes out when this new set comes in, it will be hard to find another four drop black card. So the price will go up quite a bit, according to him.
That's just speculation on his part. There's no real way to tell, since what's playable (And therefore worth money) and what isn't it very much dependent on the next 'block' which we know virtually nothing about. I can tell you this much: Desecration Demon isn't very popular in older formats. Cards like that tend to lose value quickly once they rotate out of standard; and Desecration Demon isn't worth much to begin with.

y2dvd

You know what's not fun? Your opponent playing Thragtusk 3 turns in a row. Can't wait for it to rotate out and I'll be sad if if gets reprinted.

Sorcery version of Pernicious Deed? You can't spread the payment across two turns with this one, but on the other hand, it isn't ruined by a Krosan Grip.

Krosan Grip can't touch the Deed if you activate it as soon as it resolves before passing priority. Really the only way Deed is ever worse is if the opponent is holding a Stifle effect or an Annul. This is virtually strictly worse than Pernicious Deed in every way.

Having said that, a worse Deed is still pretty good. I don't know how the metagames are in Modern and Standard, but in the right kind of environment I can see this getting played.

ultron87

Pernicious Deed is probably my favorite card, so I'm pretty excited by that.

Pontiff of Blight 4BB
Creature - Zombie Cleric (R)
Extort
Other creatures you control have extort. (If a creature has multiple instances of extort, each triggers separately.)
2/7
27/156
Art by Seb McKinnon

That's quite a butt.

Top Bottom