• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Yeef

I have a powerful need to "reanimate" Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker or Omniscience with Obzedat's Aid at some point.
2013-03-03-Bolas%20Wielding%20Bolas.jpg

So as someone who plays exclusively on MTGO, I'm really itching to see how they're going to distribute Modern Masters online. Will they fire drafts and sealed events on demand? Will there only be scheduled events? How long will it run? Etc.

The set isn't redeemable, so I think we will see a not-insignificant dip in the prices of the cards that are in MM (at least temporarily), but I really do think the other stuff is going to shoot up. I'm torn; I don't want to blow my entire budget on picking up rares and mythics that I don't really intend on playing just to have them, but I also don't want to get locked out of playing other decks in the future. I also need to save some money to snatch up Innistrad stuff during the great Standard sell-off in a few months (it'll probably the cheapest we'll see Liliana of the Veil for a long time unless she gets a reprint).

This is what I have on my shopping list right now: Batterskull, Elesh Norn, Iona, Mindbreak Trap, Mox Opal, Vengevine, Bloodghast, and the Zendikar manlands.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So as someone who plays exclusively on MTGO, I'm really itching to see how they're going to distribute Modern Masters online. Will they fire drafts and sealed events on demand? Will there only be scheduled events? How long will it run? Etc.

The set isn't redeemable, so I think we will see a not-insignificant dip in the prices of the cards that are in MM (at least temporarily), but I really do think the other stuff is going to shoot up. I'm torn; I don't want to blow my entire budget on picking up rares and mythics that I don't really intend on playing just to have them, but I also don't want to get locked out of playing other decks in the future. I also need to save some money to snatch up Innistrad stuff during the great Standard sell-off in a few months (it'll probably the cheapest we'll see Liliana of the Veil for a long time unless she gets a reprint).

This is what I have on my shopping list right now: Batterskull, Elesh Norn, Iona, Mindbreak Trap, Mox Opal, Vengevine, Bloodghast, and the Zendikar manlands.

It's so hard to call, you know? I'm guessing they're going to be just as tight on MTGO as in real life, but we're still not really getting word on how limited, limited is. Some people are saying it's a myth, that the stores will have plenty, some are saying that the stores are getting so little that they're raffling off the privilege of being able to play in the MM drafts. I think they may do on demand for a limited time only on MTGO with a heafty amount of scheduled events during the time frame.

As for rotation stuff, Liliana is the obvious choice, Geist is modern playable and Cavern of Souls will be the other one that is guaranteed to rise in value. Eventually, they'll print an insane counterspell again and Cavern will be even more necessary in modern.

OnPoint

So in terms of Liliana and Cavern, do you guys think they'll see the rotation dip?

Also, can't believe Opals are 30 right now. Jesus.

WanderingWind

So in terms of Liliana and Cavern, do you guys think they'll see the rotation dip?

I think yes and no respectively. Liliana will dip about 5-10 bucks. Cavern may dip, but no much. It's too clearly an important card.

red13th

omg Jay Moldenhauer Salazar is writing Magic articles again and he's still awesome. He's my favourite writer from back when I still read the articles they posted in the mothership. I admit I had a smile on my face when I read this (considering he's returning from a 6-year MTG break):

First, it's nice to see a diverse Standard environment where a) a lot of different archetypes can thrive and b) creatures win games. Admittedly, I'm already tired of Restoration Angel, Thragtusk, and Champion of the Parish. And yes, I've fantasized about a Standard without these cards. Don't get me wrong: none of them feel particularly unfair, just annoying and better than other cards of comparable cost. Annoyance aside, it's terrific to stumble back into Magic and find my favorite format in a healthy place. A pro-creature, combo-light Standard in which a lot of decks are viable is a happy place for me.

Clarification again - I'm talking MTGO.

I think we'll see Cavern settle around $5. Tribal decks aren't all that big in eternal formats. I suppose if we do see that Bitterblossom unban the Faeries deck might want a couple, but it wouldn't be a 4-of there either.

As far as Liliana; just look at Karn Liberated. It's stayed at $25, and sees play as a 4-of in one deck in one format. There are more Lilianas out there than Karns, but I would not be shocked to see her settle around $35. If I see her touch $25 during the rotation sell-off, I'm snatching up a set (or whenever I think she's hit her floor). I also think a lot of people are doing what I'm doing, so she won't dip for long.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea I *really* don't see Lilly dropping. She's played in both Modern and Legacy, if anything the price might gradually rise over time.

Yea I *really* don't see Lilly dropping. She's played in both Modern and Legacy, if anything the price might gradually rise over time.

Absolutely, but there will be a sell-off on MTGO that will create a very temporary dip in price. That's what I'll be looking for (and since I'm not currently looking to play her in any Modern decks, I'm fine with waiting).

Zocano

I was wondering, is there any hope to getting From the Vaults: Twenty when it hits or is that something I shouldn't even try to bother with? I would like to pick one up while I actually have a chance at $40 or are those prices hiked up on release?

WanderingWind

I was wondering, is there any hope to getting From the Vaults: Twenty when it hits or is that something I shouldn't even try to bother with? I would like to pick one up while I actually have a chance at $40 or are those prices hiked up on release?

If you can get one for 40 and don't want to, I will pay you 80 to get me one.

Zocano

I would buy several if I can get multiple at $40 and would probably be willing to trade one off if it comes to it. I would just like to be able to get even one at a decent price, though. Do shops even sell these at MSRP on release?

WanderingWind

I would buy several if I can get multiple at $40 and would probably be willing to trade one off if it comes to it. I would just like to be able to get even one at a decent price, though. Do shops even sell these at MSRP on release?

In some rare cases. Usually not. But let me know if your local joint is one of the rare places that aren't assholes. I'll pay you for sure.

Zocano

I will check every store near me once the release draws closer. I doubt they have plans right now (but I guess it won't hurt to ask during the DGM prerelease).

On another note, my friends and I are probably going to get a box of Modern Masters but I'm a bit iffy on doing so because how would we split up rares? What if one of us gets lucky and pulls a Tarmagoyf or something and the other two will just glare with jealousy. Might just buy myself a box on my own, eat the cost, and just live with it. I've been wanting to get into modern a lot more now (especially with Modern Masters looming closer), but, like many of you have mentioned here, the price is the biggest bump to get over.

Lucario

Guys -- cavern sees far more play in standard than it does in Modern (next to none) or Legacy (2 of in maverick, 1-2 of in D&T and 4 of in goblins, which hasn't seen a top 8 in like six months.)

It's going to dip. Not significantly, but it will.

At competitive, professional, and major levels, since release --

10 decks in modern (all fairly recent) have run at least one copy of Cavern -- midrange & hatebear decks.
440 decks in standard
90 decks in legacy (mostly goblin decks from a long time ago)

Have T8ed with at least one copy of Cavern in the main. It sees over four time the amount of play in standard than every other format combined, and almost none of the legacy play it sees is current -- in fact, I'm pretty sure it hasn't seen any play as a 4-of in over six months.

In terms of sheer number of copies, it's more like 8-16x the amount of play.

Compare to Liliana of the Veil. 178 decks in standard since release, but 260 in modern and 200 in legacy.

Guys -- cavern sees far more play in standard than it does in Modern (next to none) or Legacy (2 of in maverick, 1-2 of in D&T and 4 of in goblins, which hasn't seen a top 8 in like six months.)

It's going to dip. Not significantly, but it will.

Pretty much agree, I think it's a $15 card post rotation.

Hero

Cavern will dip down but go back up slowly. Third set in a block, not a popular draft format, tell tale signs of a set that will have value. If those trashy Eldrazi mythics can be 20-30 dollars a pop due to EDH then Cavern can easily be a 25+ card a year or two from now.

kirblar

So - is it fair to say that Liliana of the Veil has surpassed Elspeth, Knight-Errant as the second best planeswalker ever printed?
Yup.

Rosewater's teased 2 interesting cards on his Tumblr. One is "Baneslayer Spider" (I suspect they may be "finishing" the BSA/Thundermaw cycle out this set.) and the other is "Chandra is good this time."

Hero

Yup.

Rosewater's teased 2 interesting cards on his Tumblr. One is "Baneslayer Spider" (I suspect they may be "finishing" the BSA/Thundermaw cycle out this set.) and the other is "Chandra is good this time."

Gonna guess something silly like 3GG 5/5 Vigilance, Reach, Trample, some ETB effect?

OnPoint

Gonna guess something silly like 3GG 5/5 Vigilance, Reach, Trample, some ETB effect?

Better be a pretty darn good ETB effect...

Chandra being good? Yeah, right. I'll believe it when I see it. Just bring back Jaya Ballard, make her good and be done with it.

Better be a pretty darn good ETB effect...

Chandra being good? Yeah, right. I'll believe it when I see it. Just bring back Jaya Ballard, make her good and be done with it.

The first Chandra was decent since mono-Red didn't have a whole lot of ways to deal with Titans outside of temporarily stealing them. Personally, I think they just need to print Red Walkers with decent +1 abilities. So far, Koth was the only one they got right.

JulianImp

Yup.

Going off on a tangent, I've been trying to find an use for Mwonvuli Beast Tracker since forever, but I think there just aren't enough viable tutor targets. Hopefully this will be one playable spider I can fetch with it.

With how they've been treating flagship green creatures lately, I imaging the tagline for baneslayer spider would be "You thought Akroma had a lot of keywords?"

JulianImp

A Thrun-Spider with Vigilance and Haste would be a nightmare.

I think they should simply give up on hexproof. I mean, it's a mechanic that purposefully limits interaction in an environment where they're supposedly encouraging it, and it's horribly one-sided. No one would care about a 3/2 flier with shroud for 2WU, but as soon as you give it hexproof instead it goes from an okay limited card to carrying armadillo cloaks for the win with impunity. It seems like they tried too hard to make enchantments playable, and only came up with a half-assed solution that doesn't work on all creatures, just hexproof ones.

The spider should probably be hard to kill, but I think regeneration would be pushing it... I guess it could work at a slightly prohibitive cost such as GG or evne just tapping it (that'd probably be nice if it had vigilance). Reach is a given, but trample/vigilance/haste could be a good combilantion on top of that as well. Say:

Birdslayer Spider 3GG
Creature - Spider
Haste, reach, trample, vigilance.
[Creatures with flying can't block Birdslayer Spider.]
T: Regenerate Birdslayer Spider.
5/6

I think they should simply give up on hexproof. I mean, it's a mechanic that purposefully limits interaction in an environment where they're supposedly encouraging it, and it's horribly one-sided. No one would care about a 3/2 flier with shroud for 2WU, but as soon as you give it hexproof instead it goes from an okay limited card to carrying armadillo cloaks for the win with impunity. It seems like they tried too hard to make enchantments playable, and only came up with a half-assed solution that doesn't work on all creatures, just hexproof ones.

The spider should probably be hard to kill, but I think regeneration would be pushing it... I guess it could work at a slightly prohibitive cost such as GG or evne just tapping it (that'd probably be nice if it had vigilance). Reach is a given, but trample/vigilance/haste could be a good combilantion on top of that as well. Say:

Hexproof is here to stay, I'm afraid. If the green guy isn't just a pile of keywords, I'd give it some land fetch ETB or mini Plow Under effect or something.

How much would I have to pay for a red walker that had:

+X: ~ deals X damage to up to one target creature. You lose X life.

Life payment isn't really red. It'd have to also be black. And I think it would be costly.

Hexproof isn't so bad, I just think it needs to be a bit more modest in its costs.

Life payment isn't red, but self-damage can be. I imagine the ability would be something like +X: ~ deals X damage to target creature and X damage to you.

Hexproof isn't so bad, I just think it needs to be a bit more modest in its costs.

Life payment isn't red, but self-damage can be. I imagine the ability would be something like +X: ~ deals X damage to target creature and X damage to you.

Some Guy
2RR
Planeswalker - Guy
+1: Flip a coin. If the flip comes up heads, add RR to your mana pool.
+X: This deals X damage to target creature and X damage to you. X can't be greater than the number of loyalty counters on this.
-8: Draw a card for each creature you control, then discard a card at random for each creature your opponents control.
(2)

OnPoint

Hexproof should be a green ability the same way Reach is primarily a green ability. It makes so much more sense with the color pie.

Also, Birdslayer Spider needs to be really good for people to play it as undercosted big creatures are a green thing for sure. Something like:

Birdslayer Spider 3GG

Vigilance, Reach, Trample
Reduce all combat damage dealt to
Baneslayer Spider from flying creatures
to zero.
5/5

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Tap: Birdslayer Spider fights target creature with flying.

Here's my stab at what the cards might be:

Birdslayer Spider 3GG
Creature - Spider (M)
Vigilance, Haste, Reach
~ can't be countered
Protection from flying creatures
5/5

Chandra, Good This Time 1RR
Planeswalker - Chandra (M)
+2: Discard a card, then draw a card.
-1: Forked Bolt.
-7: You get an emblem with "If a red source you control would deal damage, it deals that much damage plus 3 instead."
{3}

ultron87

Silklash Spider already stomps fliers pretty well. But I guess that is spiders' area of expertise. I suppose the idea here would be to be good at attacking as well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Spiders have traditionally been defensive creatures though. I think vigilance makes sense on it.

joelseph

So I built my first EDH deck last night. People weren't kidding when they said it was addicting. Stayed up waay too late customizing the RUG Mirror deck. Now to find a Kiki Jiki for cheap. As a player that only recently started playing and only plays standard what are some good RUG cards on the cheap that are essential EDH? Thanks!

Top Bottom