• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

I'm not sure how I feel about DGM from a constructed, limited or value standpoint. I don't think there are very many speculation targets like there have been in the past few sets (Resto Angel, Deathrite Shaman, Boros Reckoner, etc).

I've been thinking the exact same thing. This being a set that only gets opened once per draft, there's the potential for a card to just blow up in value. But I'm just not seeing that card with this set. If that card is in the set, it's going to be because of synergy with something else that gets printed (unlike Restoration Angel, where somehow it took forever for people to realize that a 3/4 flying flash for 3W was good enough on its own).

Also, the cascade deck that people are building in Modern with Breaking//Entering is cute. If you're looking for something weird to play at Modern FNM post Dragon's Maze, it looks fun (although not very good and almost certainly worse than Living End).

kirblar

I just picked a set of Render Silents for $9 and change. Only spending about $150 total on this set, since Ral/Voice should both crash.

ajf009

Here's an interesting deck for standard I thought of based around cards I actually have

4 Hover Barrier
4 Axebane Gaurdian
4 Murmuring Phantasm
4 Fog Bank
4 Worldspine Wurm
4 Utvara Hellkite
4 Chromatic Lantern
2 Angel of Serenity
4 Dreadbore
4 Skullcrack
2 Steam Vents
2 Temple Garden
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Breeding Pool
2 Hinterland Harbor
3 Forest
3 Island
2 Swamp
2 Mountain
2 Plains

8ambgu9o.jpg

This pretty much sums up my disappointment in the last two releases.

So do you guys think that Modern Masters is going to cause a spike in the price of Zendikar/Scars staples? I've already got the fetchlands and some key rares/mythics, but there's still quite a few things I don't have. I'm trying to decide if now is the time to pick that stuff up, or if it's safe to wait. There isn't a deck in particular I'm trying to build; I just don't want to get screwed in the future if Modern Masters manages to increase the demand for Modern and these things suddenly jump in price.

OnPoint

I hope the prices don't jump from Zen/Scars yet. I still have a few things I want to pick up.

I don't think a Helix reprint would have been a good idea w/ Boros Charm around.

I wish they would have gone 1WR with it, and did 3 damage to target player or 4 damage to target creature.

sammich

For the pre-release i think im going Gruul. Other options Boros, Rakdos.

Possible Combos:

Grull - Izzett, Rakdos, Golgari, Selesnya
Rakdos - Orzhov, Dimir, Gruul, Boros
Boros - Selesnya, Rakdos, Izzett, Azorious

ZeroCoin

Possible Combos:

Rakdos - Orzhov, Dimir, Gruul, Simic

Are you talking about the secret guild possibilities? Rakdos is actually paired with Boros, not Simic. I'm pretty sure I'm taking Rakdos at this point.

sammich

Are you talking about the secret guild possibilities? Rakdos is actually paired with Boros, not Simic. I'm pretty sure I'm taking Rakdos at this point.

Doh you are right.. .dunno how i got simic. Nice catch. Now the question for me is what i want.

With Boros, the only maybe i have is Azorious, but wont be bad matched up. Helps walk through with detain.
With Rakdos, it would be Dimir, but(ill get hate for this) i actually like Dimir the most in GTC for some reason. Its not a good match for Rakdos though.
Gruul - I like them all and all of them would be great pairings.

JulianImp

Well I've been running an Extort deck with a splash of Blue for control but I've been running into a lot of Boros and Gruul resistance so I'm scared DM will be more suited to them than Orzhov.

Wizards did say they were slowing the format down in DGM, and having only guild packs of RTR and GTC means many, many cards (ie: the ones not used in the eight guild packs) won't be around at all.

I like most of Golgari's possible partners (even Gruul, I guess), but I'm not sure about the second prerelease.

Orzhov is tempting and has interesting rares, but I might end up getting Rakdos which makes no sense at all. It also looks like Izzet is likely to end up running green, so I might go for that as well, but the pack rares aren't that good (I only care about Mortars and Niv, and the Chemister could be good in limited).

By the way, I think the guild booster packs had already been mapped, and that each ofh the eight possible rares always had the same commons and uncommons alongside it... am I making that up?

ultron87

I kind of hate that that is a thing that was figured out and hope that they maybe mixed the packs up for this one or something. But that would make no sense based on print orders. Well unless... didn't the prerelease promos come inside the sealed part of the Guild Pack for RTR and GTC? So these could be a separate run.

That said, the fact that anyone with more than one copy of a Gatecrash or RTR card at the prerelease is cheating is potentially helpful to know.

rCIZZLE

So do you guys think that Modern Masters is going to cause a spike in the price of Zendikar/Scars staples? I've already got the fetchlands and some key rares/mythics, but there's still quite a few things I don't have. I'm trying to decide if now is the time to pick that stuff up, or if it's safe to wait. There isn't a deck in particular I'm trying to build; I just don't want to get screwed in the future if Modern Masters manages to increase the demand for Modern and these things suddenly jump in price.

I think that spike already happened when they cut it off at shards block.

sammich

I kind of hate that that is a thing that was figured out and hope that they maybe mixed the packs up for this one or something. But that would make no sense based on print orders. Well unless... didn't the prerelease promos come inside the sealed part of the Guild Pack for RTR and GTC? So these could be a separate run.

That said, the fact that anyone with more than one copy of a Gatecrash or RTR card at the prerelease is cheating is potentially helpful to know.

Plus this way if you care you can go for the guild that gives you the most value. I picked gruul which.. give me the shittiest value.

rCIZZLE

Possible Combos:

Rakdos - Orzhov, Dimir, Gruul, Boros

Rakdos seems pretty good in that the non-black GTC pairings are favorable for the playstyle and the black pairings are favorable due to the removal. A potential problem though with 3 color aggressive decks is the mana being a little wonky which is a much bigger problem than with slower decks. Having to play a T2 or T3 guildgate will just be really awkward.

I'm probably going to spend an hour or so later today looking through the spoilers from a sealed standpoint and try to figure out which is the best guild with regards to commons and uncommons and just go with that.

I think they'll continue to go up. Modern Masters is supposed to help people cross over into modern as they are making staples a bit easier to obtain.

If it goes as planned, they'll be more people playing modern, so yea

ultron87

I'd find it really funny if the low print run of Modern Masters led to an overall increase in the average price of getting into Modern due to increased interest in the format. And then be sad.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fans - "Please let us give you money WotC! Please? OH GOD IF I DON'T GIVE YOU MILLIONS OF DOLLARS I SHALL SURELY PERISH!"

WotC - "Lol no."

I'd find it really funny if the low print run of Modern Masters led to an overall increase in the average price of getting into Modern due to increased interest in the format. And then be sad.

I'll bet that's what happens. People will scramble to finish off playsets of goodies they get from MM or fill out decklists they may have had their eyes on but was previously too much to invest in. Ultimately, this will increase demand, especially if Wizards can supply just enough MM to keep the market hungry.

Lucario

If they toss a bunch of money uncommons in there, the commons/uncommons will drop pretty heavily. Even small stores are reporting that they're being allocated 20-30 boxes, and with a shipment that decent, kitchen finks can't stay at $12.

Rares and mythics won't move in price significantly at all, though. Yeah, I think it's pretty possible some of the rares and mythics will go up.

Lucario

Looks like mid-sized stores are actually getting 18 boxes allocated for Modern Masters from Wizards -- I assume they're also able to get more from distributors, which means some stores could end up with insane amounts of product.

Still, though, with 15 mythics in the set, I can't see Tarmogoyf's price being effected much. Even if each store ends up with forty boxes, that's only a little over four playsets of goyf opened. Not enough to keep an entire LGS satisfied. Now might be the time to buy goyfs.

kirblar

I sold my set at $280 expecting a reprint. Just...not that type of reprint. So if I can buy in at close to that amount, I'll be happy.

rCIZZLE

The more I look at DGM, the more I'm dreading the thought of drafting it. Many of the rares/mythics have incredible potential in almost every format but the rest of the set feels like a mess.

Modern PTQ season also was a big deal. Since ZEN, the playerbase has tripled.

Not saying those weren't factors, just that zen fetches spiked the day that modern masters was cut off at shards. Misty and Tarn went from ~20 to 35 instantly.

OnPoint

Looks like mid-sized stores are actually getting 18 boxes allocated for Modern Masters from Wizards -- I assume they're also able to get more from distributors, which means some stores could end up with insane amounts of product.

Still, though, with 15 mythics in the set, I can't see Tarmogoyf's price being effected much. Even if each store ends up with forty boxes, that's only a little over four playsets of goyf opened. Not enough to keep an entire LGS satisfied. Now might be the time to buy goyfs.

tumblr_m5y5twPapT1qjehm8.gif

My poor wallet

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Instead of stock options, Maro gets black lotuses.

The more I look at DGM, the more I'm dreading the thought of drafting it. Many of the rares/mythics have incredible potential in almost every format but the rest of the set feels like a mess.

Not saying those weren't factors, just that zen fetches spiked the day that modern masters was cut off at shards. Misty and Tarn went from ~20 to 35 instantly.

SCG also bought up a whole bunch of the blue fetches from various stores, etc.

JulianImp

Rakdos seems pretty good in that the non-black GTC pairings are favorable for the playstyle and the black pairings are favorable due to the removal. A potential problem though with 3 color aggressive decks is the mana being a little wonky which is a much bigger problem than with slower decks. Having to play a T2 or T3 guildgate will just be really awkward.

I'm probably going to spend an hour or so later today looking through the spoilers from a sealed standpoint and try to figure out which is the best guild with regards to commons and uncommons and just go with that.

With the sealed format pushing 3-color decks and six guidgates, it's quite likely we'll have a pretty slow manabase. This could put a stain on decks that aren't hyperagressive, since waiting until turn five to play your 3C 2/4 won't be ideal if your opponent has assembled batallion or has already got two or more centaur tokens, for example.

It's sad how some guilds got way better value than others on their guild packs, both for the tournament and for adding to your collection. I went with Izzet for my first RTR event and I got burned pretty bad by opening a Conjured Currency. Heck, I opened a Mercurial Chemister and a Cyclonic Rift the next day, when I went Golgari!

As I've said before, Dimir looks quite bad both in the GTC and DGM department... it doesn't seem like it has enough tools to make milling a viable deck in this prerelease. You might get a single copy of the mill 3 cipher spell in your guild pack. And DGM only has the draw 2, mill 2 common for 1UB, the mill 8 split card at rare and the X2UB lobotomy mythic, which is just awful in limited.

kirblar

So what are the top cards of the newest set?
Ral Zarek *wait*
Voice of Resurgence *wait*
Legion's Imitative *wait*
Blood Baron of Vizkopa *wait*
Blood Scrivener
Council of the Absolute
Varolz, the Scar-Striped *wait*
Advent of the Wurm
Plasm Capture (I think, long-term, this one's huge.)
Skylasher
Beck/Call
Render Silent
Ruric Thar
Exava
Obzedat's Aid (most likely to explode)
Sire of Insanity
Renounce the Guilds

Takuan

Just found out my LGS scraped MM preorders and is instead holding a raffle to distribute their allocation. Guess I'm not going to be playing any modern.

I'm going to miss Saturday's pre-release, but I am hyped for Sunday. Gon' git ma GAME on, son. Truthfully, I'm a little disappointed in certain aspects of DGM, but I'm still excited to see how block plays out, regardless.

Just found out my LGS scraped MM preorders and is instead holding a raffle to distribute their allocation. Guess I'm not going to be playing any modern.

I'm going to miss Saturday's pre-release, but I am hyped for Sunday. Gon' git ma GAME on, son. Truthfully, I'm a little disappointed in certain aspects of DGM, but I'm still excited to see how block plays out, regardless.

Damn, I've read about a lot of stores planning to just use boxes for drafting and associated prizes too. I like the idea of Modern, but I'm honestly not sure where to begin, and I doubt it would be affordable for me currently. MM doesn't seem to be swaying me towards it either.

Top Bottom