• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

My deck:

2 Dimir Guildgate
1 Orzhov Guildgate
1 Izzet Guildgate
1 Golgari Guildgate
1 Boros Guildgate

6 Plains
5 Forest

1 Golgari Keyrune
1 Golgari Cluestone
1 Rakdos Cluestone

1 Vizkopa Guildmage
1 Basillica Guards
1 Thrashing Mossdog
1 Towering Indrik
2 Saruli Gatekeepers
1 Sunspire Gatekeepers
1 Ubul Sar Gatekeepers
1 Alive//Well
1 Golgari Longlegs
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Trostani's Summonder

1 Renounce the Guilds
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Devour Flesh
1 Flesh//Blood
1 Stab Wound
1 Gruul War Chant
1 Krasis Incubation
1 Beck//Call

SB: Lotleth Troll, cause he was an obnoxious to cast Drudge Skeletons in my deck.

Was completely and utterly stupid. Only lost a game to "Centuar Healer, Gruul War Chant, Red Gatekeeper targeting my Golgari Longlegs."

Went 2-2 with Golgari tonight. My super secret pals were Dimir. I had 0 blue cards in my deck when I started playing. I diiiiiiid invite Orzohv to the part, though. Cause I pack-drew a Baron and a Teysa. In the rounds I won, it was because I was usually sitting on a Baron I blew up to 7/7 or 9/9 and just fat catted the game. In the rounds I lost, it was cause I got bitcoined to death.

I bought a starter and drew a Betty. So that was nice.

rCIZZLE

Played Golgari again today and ended up getting paired with Dimir. Went 4-1-1 and came in 5th out of 40. Bombwise I got the Blood Baron and Varolz which ended up not being very relevant. Only time I drew Blood Baron was against decks splashing either black or white and any time I landed Varolz I was so far ahead that I didn't even have creatures to scavenge. Gateway Shade ended up being absolutely insane... 4 gates out at the same time basically means I can freely attack for however much I want every turn.

The draw came against my buddy who took a long time to sideboard which probably was why I couldn't close it out. Had a full, godlike grip when we hit turns but he landed an alive/well to gain 8 and guarantee the draw. Proud of him though for being the only other x-0 when we played since he's just getting back into magic.

The loss came against another friend in the very last round. Had to mull to 6 both games, kept shaky hands, and got punished hard due to him being a very good player. I'm the one who dreamcrushed him last night to clinch 2nd so if anybody was going to beat me and take 1st overall today I'm glad it was him.

Had a lot of fun with the prereleases of this block and will likely be let down when we return to the standard 6 packs sealed.

Oh and I took the 21 total prize packs and immediately traded them for a bunch of good stuff like Geists, Revs, and shocks. Glad I did since this set isn't very good to open.

Beepos

So I finally got around to seeing what cards I can add to my Selesnya constructed from Dragonmaze.

Voice of Resurgence dear god. I can't see how anyone wouldn't 4 of them, especially as I can see them being used in legacy.

kirblar

So I finally got around to seeing what cards I can add to my Selesnya constructed from Dragonmaze.

Voice of Resurgence dear god. I can't see how anyone wouldn't 4 of them, especially as I can see them being used in legacy.
Yeah, the problem is that in Standard, it's kinda just a bear right now and doesn't go well with Humans, Jund, Mono-R or Zombies.

The Adder

Banned
This set is going to make for interesting drafting.

Got 2 Advent of the Wurm cards. One foil. Got a Pyrewilde Shaman and traded it away for 3 Stolen Identities.

JulianImp

Played two prereleases, one as Golgari (with Dimir as my secret ally) and the second as Izzet (plus Simic).

Golgari-Dimir went quite well, but some bad luck on my end and a draw in the first match meant I ended up 2-1-1, winning two packs. My pool had ridiculous amounts of removal in it, such as Death's Approach, Abrupt Decay, Dimir Charm, Stab Wound and Putrefy, with AEtherling as a big finisher. The one match I lost was against the guy who ended up going undefeated, losing game 1 to a fused Beck & Call despite having removed all of his creatures up to that point, and then lost game 2 to an unfused Beck (with no way to block fliers).

I got really unlucky in my Izzet-Simic guild pack pulls: Conjured Currency and Unexpected results... two guild packs I got back when I played the RTR and GTC prereleases, and which are the very worst rares possible in each guild's packs. I ended up going 1-2-1 since the deck still was moderately good, but one game I faced down an opposing Golgari champion, Ruric Thar and Rakdos at the same freaking time! Game 2 I gained 14 life with two green gate guardians, but was being raced by Rakdos yet again; the turn before I could muster enough mana to play the Pernicious Deed sorcery for X=5 to nuke his Rakdos and 2/5 gorgon, he simply played an unleashed 2/1, I used my bug-human's ability to fly and try to block Rakdos at a precarious 3 life, and my opponent simply used the gorgon's ability removing the unleash counter to make my 4/4 a 3/3, killing me with Rakdos' trample damage.

All in all, I had lots of fun on both events, and ended up trading for two more AEtherlings, a Plasm Capture, a Skylasher, a Zegana and several other lesser cards I really wanted for my UGB standard deck with 90% flash creatures (Wolfir Avenger, Shambleshark, Snapcaster Mage, Skylasher and Yeva), some counterspells and removal (Abrupt Decay, Putrefy and Far//Away, plus Gaze of Granite as a sweeper) and Wolfir Silverheart and AEtherling as finishers. I'll be trying the deck out at next week's launch FNM and see how it does, since I've grown tired of my Gwub deck and playing Lingering Souls, and I'd really like to play a base-Simic deck for once.

castlegar

Went Rakdos at my pre-release, hoping to be paired with anyone but Dimir. Got Dimir. But ended up winning! Turns out it was a good mix of solid creatures and great early removal (Auger Spree, Dimir Charm, Dreadbore). I also pulled a Master Of Cruelties and that guy is a MONSTER blocker. Like, Reckoner-style.

Other highlite cards: Sinister Possession, Hired Torturer, Rakdos Drake, Deviant Glee + Riot Piker, that worm that has protection from green and forestwalk

kirblar

Went Rakdos at my pre-release, hoping to be paired with anyone but Dimir. Got Dimir. But ended up winning! Turns out it was a good mix of solid creatures and great early removal (Auger Spree, Dimir Charm, Dreadbore). I also pulled a Master Of Cruelties and that guy is a MONSTER blocker. Like, Reckoner-style.

Other highlite cards: Sinister Possession, Hired Torturer, Rakdos Drake, Deviant Glee + Riot Piker, that worm that has protection from green and forestwalk
Dimir actually does seem like a good pairing for them, since the Unleash creatures are naturally difficult to block.

Runner's Bane... enchant target creatures 3 power or less. If they end up getting buffed afterwards (say through evolve), does the enchant come off?

alternade

My LGS was selling guild packs and I pulled a voice of resurgence. This one loudmouth guy got all butthurt when I said I wasn't trading it. He started yelling when I told him there was nothing in standard I wanted right now.

Overall had fun. The LGS owner said we can draft DGM/DGM/RAV or DGM/DGM/GTC later this week if we want.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
My LGS was selling guild packs and I pulled a voice of resurgence. This one loudmouth guy got all butthurt when I said I wasn't trading it. He started yelling when I told him there was nothing in standard I wanted right now.

Overall had fun. The LGS owner said we can draft DGM/DGM/RAV or DGM/DGM/GTC later this week if we want.

Fuck that guy.

OnPoint

LOL What a maroon

The Adder

Banned
So building a U/w deck around those Stolen Identities. Basically counter spells and unblockable or evasive creatures trying to build to either an overwhelming force or milling my opponent out with cloned Sage's Row Denizens.

(Effectively) U x23
---
Deathcult Rogue x3
Dispel x3
Negate x2
Cancel x 4
Keymaster Rogue x1
Metropolis Sprite x2
Sage's Row Denizen x4
Stolen Identity x4

Azorius x3
---
Jelenn Sphinx x1
Judge's Familiar x1
Render Silent x1

W x3
---
Haazda Snare Squad x2
Lyev Decree x 1

Colorless x2
---
Azorius Keyrune x 1
Prophetic Prism x 1

Land 23
---
Azorius Guildgate x3
Island x16
Plains x4

Any suggestions? Thinking drop the sprites, add 1 sphinx, 1 familiar, 3 more Render Silents (if I can get them), 3 more Lyev Decrees. Opinions?

(I will note that I'm not particularly interested in a better deck so much as a deck that does what I want this one to do better.)

Played Boros with Azorius in the prerelease, went 3-2 but, I had a pretty good time. One of my friends pulled a Render Silent which I traded him for after the event. It's really the only card in the set that I wanted. I'm looking foreword to using it in my Grand Arbiter EDH deck. The set as a whole seems really underwhelming but, I could see it being pretty fun to draft with.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Speaking of trading, had a guy want to trade me some ridiculous cards for my Blood Scrivener. I said no and opened up the rest of my packs. Pulled a Blood Baron of Vizkopa, Aurelia, Teysa, Aetherling, etc. Guy damn near had a heart attack and almost assaulted me with his binder. Owner of the shop told him to step outside and take a breather.

EDIT: Also pulled an Elocutors as well.

JulianImp

So building a U/w deck around those Stolen Identities. Basically counter spells and unblockable or evasive creatures trying to build to either an overwhelming force or milling my opponent out with cloned Sage's Row Denizens.

Any suggestions? Thinking drop the sprites, add 1 sphinx, 1 familiar, 3 more Render Silents (if I can get them), 3 more Lyev Decrees. Opinions?

(I will note that I'm not particularly interested in a better deck so much as a deck that does what I want this one to do better.)

I'll be trying my best not to suggest any expensive cards, but let me see...

Lands (24):
4 Azorius Guildgate
13 Island
7 Plains

Creatures (21):
4 Judge's Familiar
3 Doorkeeper
4 Lyev Skyknight
4 Sage's Row Denizen
3 Soulsworn Spirit/Invisible Stalker*
3 Ascended Lawmage

Other spells (15):
3 Mizzium Skin
3 Hands of Binding
3 Cancel/Dissipate*
1 Render Silent
2 Azorius Keyrune
3 Stolen Identity
Note: Cards marked with a * are the better cards but come from Innistrad, which means they're going to rotate out of Standard in about six months.

I'm not entirely sure about the spells, but I think the deck's okay, and doesn't use any rares you didn't have. Here's my individual card breakdown:
  • The deck needs 24 or more lands so it can cast Stolen Identity properly, which is why I added a fourth guildgate
  • Four Stolen Identities can clog up your hand in the early game, so I removed one. With three you're still likely to see a copy by the time you're able to pay six mana, anyway
  • Doorkeeper is a decent defensive card that comes down really early and can help you mill if you need to; it also loves being cloned as well
  • Lyev Skyknight is an awesome evasive creature that works great with Stolen Identity, since it lets you detain stuff continously, and is unique in that it can detain more than just creatures, so you can completely nullify a planeswalker (amazing against control) or weaken some artifacts with it.
  • Soulsworn Spirit/Invisible Stalker are prime Stolen Identity encode targets since they'll always get through, and the Spirit detains stuff as you clone it, stopping their strongest creature dead in its tracks for as long as you want to; the Stalker, on the other hand, doesn't hit as hard but comes down earlier and has hexproof, making it nigh-impossible to kill
  • Ascended Lawmage is a bit on the expensive side (mana-wise), but it's hexproof, so it's a lot harder to kill and is therefore a greatcypher carrier
  • Mizzium Skin is a better card for protecting your creatures than Dispel/Negate, and the added toughness and overload ability can come in handy every now and then
  • Hands of Binding is a strong and cheap cypher card that also bogs down your opponent's assault, buying you time until you can get your Stolen Identities online
  • A second Azorius Keyrune will prove very useful in getting to six mana faster (since Prophetic Prism didn't accelerate), and can double as an attacker that dodges sweepers, has evasion and can carry cypher cards in a pinch

I hope you find this suggestions useful. I really like your deck... actually, I think I might build something similar and bring it to my local FNM this friday! I love the deck's concept and how it lends itself well to synergistic card choices.

EDIT: I also removed most of the non-creature counters, since you're ery likely to find the current standard chock-full of creatures. If you'd like, you could replace the Cancel/Dissipates for Essence Scatter, even. If you had some money for rares or slightly more expensive cards, you could get your hands on some Azorius Charms and Moorland Haunts (a rare from Innistrad), which are both pretty cheap and could help your deck somewhat.

Here's an example sideboard as well:
3 Tormod's Crypt (versus graveyard shenanigans)
3 Knight of Glory (great against black-based decks)
3 Negate (against control, since they play few creatures which makes some of your stuff such as Hands of Binding nearly useless)
4 Rootborn Defenses (the only card you can use to keep encoded creatures alive against sweepers, and it can populate Stolen Identity tokens!)
2 Riot Control? (decent against aggro, but I think you have enough anti-aggro cards in here already, so it could be something else)

Wichu

It's a lot of fun to cipher onto creatures with double strike, especially if they're unblockable too. Here's my own cipher decklist I use on Cockatrice:

17 creatures:
1 Aurelia, the Warleader
3 Fencing Ace
4 Invisible Stalker
3 Markov Blademaster
4 Silverblade Paladin
2 Talrand, Sky Summoner

19 noncreature spells:
3 Curiosity
2 Detention Sphere
2 Madcap Skills
2 Boros Charm
4 Hands of Binding
3 Last Thoughts
3 Stolen Identity

24 lands:
3 Clifftop Retreat
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
2 Rogue's Passage
3 Sacred Foundry
4 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls

Unfortunately, the double-colour requirements in three different colours make it reliant on dual lands, making this very pricy to construct IRL. Silverblade Paladin isn't cheap either, but a lot of fun with Invisible Stalker.

Anyway, I just packed the deck full of various interactions to get as many cipher triggers as I could.
Cipher triggers every time you deal combat damage, so encoding on a creature with double strike gets you two triggers.
Madcap Skills is deadly on something with double strike, too; if it attacks, your opponent will likely be forced to either lose two creatures or let you get two hits in. People choose the latter more often than they really should.
Since you want to be getting combat damage through often, Curiosity is good card draw on an early-game Invisible Stalker or Fencing Ace, and doesn't stop being useful even once you're set up.
Silverblade Paladin pairs with Invisible Stalker for extra cipher triggers.
Hands of Binding is amazing here; you can keep your opponent's blockers and threatening attackers tapped down indefinitely. With Curiosity and Last Thoughts drawing you into more Hands, and double strike getting you two taps per cipher, it's not too difficult to lock down your opponent's creatures (without having to kill them - take that, Messenger and Thragtusk).
Aurelia pretty much doubles your cipher triggers if you manage to cast her. If you've managed to pair her with a Paladin, you can get in an immense amount of damage.
Cipher actually casts the copy, so with a couple going off every turn, Talrand leaves you swimming in Drake tokens.
Rogue's Passage is great later in the game once your double-strikers are stalled by blockers; the effectively 5 mana cost is worth it to restart your cipher engine. Unblockable Blademasters are good too!
Boros Charm and Detention Sphere are just utility cards. The deck is weak to board wipe effects, which Boros Charm helps with; in a pinch, you can give an unpaired Invisible Stalker double strike too. Detention Sphere takes care of problem cards.

If I were to build a cheaper version, I'd cut one of the colours so you don't need dual lands as much - going blue/white lets you use Silverblade Paladin if you have any and keeps Fencing Ace for cheap double strike, while going blue/red keeps you Markov Blademaster and lets you use Hound of Griselbrand and Wrecking Ogre as additional double strikers. You should be able to get away with using basic lands, Glacial Fortress in the case of blue/white, and maybe even guildgates.

rCIZZLE

My local shops, for some dumb reason, have decided to run drafts as DGM DGM DGM instead of RTR GTC DGM. This set has pretty shitty value and that format seems horribly unfun due to it not being designed to be played that way so I'll probably be throwing together a paper standard deck until M14 at least.

So, what do you guys think is a good deck to build that's cheap or will hold value post rotation? Don't really want to do Naya Blitz since it's too all-in for me. Thinking of some BUx variant with Duskmantle Seers and Snapcasters since the former seems like a fun card to play with and the latter I have a playset of already to cut costs. Not sure how well they perform against Junk which appears to be the deck at the moment. Shocks aren't really a problem since they're a safe investment.

kirblar

My local shops, for some dumb reason, have decided to run drafts as DGM DGM DGM instead of RTR GTC DGM. This set has pretty shitty value and that format seems horribly unfun due to it not being designed to be played that way so I'll probably be throwing together a paper standard deck until M14 at least.

So, what do you guys think is a good deck to build that's cheap or will hold value post rotation? Don't really want to do Naya Blitz since it's too all-in for me. Thinking of some BUx variant with Duskmantle Seers and Snapcasters since the former seems like a fun card to play with and the latter I have a playset of already to cut costs. Not sure how well they perform against Junk which appears to be the deck at the moment. Shocks aren't really a problem since they're a safe investment.
What on earth is wrong with your shop? This set does not play well without the other 2.

I'm taking RWU Auras to NJ, since my old deck (Bant) is going to look radically different and I don't have the cards I need yet.

So... word on the grapevine is that the Onslaught fetches will be reprinted in M14. Supposedly, a guy from our LGS said he has pictures of a miscut Windswept Heath with a modern frame and new art and is supposed to send them to us. Sounds fishy, but I trust his info a bit more than most of the rumors I hear.

What do you guys think?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So... word on the grapevine is that the Onslaught fetches will be reprinted in M14. Supposedly, a guy from our LGS said he has pictures of a miscut Windswept Heath with a modern frame and new art and is supposed to send them to us. Sounds fishy, but I trust his info a bit more than most of the rumors I hear.

What do you guys think?

It's possible, or maybe it was modern masters and not m14.

ultron87

Having a Shocks + Fetch mana base in Standard for a full year seems really crazy to me.

Having them in M15 sounds a lot more reasonable since that would just be 3 months of crazy good mana time.

kirblar

What do you guys think?
It's the 20th anniversary year. I was expecting them in M15, cause I'm gonna be shocked if they're willing to put up with them in Standard for a full yeah, but they've badly needed the reprint and will sell the heck out of the set. The bigger Q is if the Zendikar fetches get reprinted as well.

Got my 4 Ral Zarek. Rare for me to preorder, but eh.

Did anyone else notice how good he is with Stasis in Legacy?
Ral and Voice I'm waiting on.

It's possible, or maybe it was modern masters and not m14.

Having a Shocks + Fetch mana base in Standard for a full year seems really crazy to me.

Having them in M15 sounds a lot more reasonable since that would just be 3 months of crazy good mana time.

Both of these points were brought up. I don't think MM adds any cards that weren't in Modern already, so I really don't think we'll see Onslaught fetches there.

I do agree, that it would be a crazy Standard season to have access to 10 Checklands, 10 Shocklands, 10 Guildgates, and allied fetches.

rCIZZLE

It wouldn't be that much crazier than it is right now. Fetches are definitely the best set of lands ever printed but much of that has to do with Brainstorm, KOTR, and other stuff that's not standard legal. Checklands would plummet but they'd be out of print at that point so WOTC wouldn't care.

Would be nice to get my set of Deltas for like 60-80 though so I'm definitely in favor of this.

What on earth is wrong with your shop? This set does not play well without the other 2.

I'm taking RWU Auras to NJ, since my old deck (Bant) is going to look radically different and I don't have the cards I need yet.

Their reasoning is that randoms who drop in want to open the new set more than the older stuff. It's why they usually do 1st 2nd 2nd or even 2nd 2nd 2nd in a regular block instead of 1st 1st 2nd. They know the regulars will come no matter what due to few options so they kind of abuse that relationship.

Lucario

Ral and Voice I'm waiting on.

Got my playset for 83, so I felt like I had to move on it. If he falls to 15, whatever, I paid $20 to get to play with him at game day. Worth it.

I don't see him falling below that, or going above ~35. He's right where he wants to be.

Voice is.... well, at the paltry 12.50 for chinese and 15-20 for english he was preordering for earlier, like I said, it was too low. I think the card has the potential of being another Aurelia's Fury or Entreat -- an extremely powerful card which can't find a place in the current format -- but time will tell.

Also, as someone who just bought his onslaught fetches for cube:

BRING ON THE FUCKING REPRINTS. I want to play paper legacy already. Spending $500-600 to finish up a ~$6000 cube I'll be playing with as long as I play magic is totally reasonable to me. Spending $1500 to finish up a $3000 deck that won't be highly competitive in a year isn't.

I was expecting them in M15, cause I'm gonna be shocked
A+

I would love to see ONS fetches reprinted. The old borders will hold good value (check Ravnica shocks vs RTR shocks!) and I can get more of them without breaking the bank. Good for casual Edh players, good for modern, good for everyone. Luckily I haven't paid more than 25 for any of my onslaught fetches since I either bought them quite a while back or I traded for them recently.

There needs to be more reprints. Prices are stupidly high on everything and this will also put a healthy dent in speculative frenzies.

I would love to see ONS fetches reprinted. The old borders will hold good value (check Ravnica shocks vs RTR shocks!) and I can get more of them without breaking the bank. Good for casual Edh players, good for modern, good for everyone. Luckily I haven't paid more than 25 for any of my onslaught fetches since I either bought them quite a while back or I traded for them recently.

There needs to be more reprints. Prices are stupidly high on everything and this will also put a healthy dent in speculative frenzies.

Ons only legal in legacy and vintage, not modern unfortunately

If they're reprinted in M14, they become Modern legal, offering a cheaper yet equally as strong alternative to Zendikar fetches, which would be good for Modern.

Plus, it's just weird to have a format where you have enemy color fetches but not allied ones.

Yeah, if the fetches are in M14, it'll make Standard a whirling kaleidoscope of color-fixing a la the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor/Alara Standard. That's not the best, but it's not the end of the world either, and we already kind of are firmly in 3 & 4 color land. On the plus side, it's Magic's 20th anniversary and I think they can be doing more to make M14 exciting than saying "Chandra's in it... again! She's good now!"

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea there is nothing wrong with having magical christmas land for mana fixing. Makes deck building far more entertaining.

kirblar

If they're reprinted in M14, they become Modern legal, offering a cheaper yet equally as strong alternative to Zendikar fetches, which would be good for Modern.
They might just go ahead and reprint all 10 so that they don't need to do another reprint anytime soon.

Maybe they can reprint Ruination & Price of Progress along with the fetches as a little... 'encouragement' to care about color restrictions.

That's a joke, but they can at least reprint, like, Anathemancer or something.

Lucario

They might just go ahead and reprint all 10 so that they don't need to do another reprint anytime soon.

4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Watery Grave
2 Steam Vents
2 Breeding Pool
2 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Desolate Lighthouse

-INSERT CONTROL DECK HERE-

JulianImp

Reflecting Pool + Vivids already resulted in a deck that could cast Cruel Ultimatum, Cloudthresher and Cryptic Command back-to-back, so I'd shudder at the thought of a standard deck with a modern-esque mana base. The fetches would even thin decks, making players more likely to draw relevant spells over land as the game goes on, as well as being amazing Deathrite Shaman fodder.

Due to having shocks and Deathrite Shaman in Standard, I think they'll wait a bit before printing fetches (even more so if they intend to switch back to less multicolored decks starting with M14 and Theros).

kirblar

Reflecting Pool + Vivids already resulted in a deck that could cast Cruel Ultimatum, Cloudthresher and Cryptic Command back-to-back, so I'd shudder at the thought of a standard deck with a modern-esque mana base. The fetches would even thin decks, making players more likely to draw relevant spells over land as the game goes on, as well as being amazing Deathrite Shaman fodder.

Due to having shocks and Deathrite Shaman in Standard, I think they'll wait a bit before printing fetches (even more so if they intend to switch back to less multicolored decks starting with M14 and Theros).
Reflecting Pool + Vivids was broken in a way Fetch/Shocks are not. There are very real constraints still.

Top Bottom