• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Maybe they can reprint Ruination & Price of Progress along with the fetches as a little... 'encouragement' to care about color restrictions.

That's a joke, but they can at least reprint, like, Anathemancer or something.

Price of Progress being in Modern wouldn't bother me one bit. Gives me an excuse to run nothin' but good ole Mountains in a mono red deck, instead of my current RWB Burn build.

kirblar

Price of Progress being in Modern wouldn't bother me one bit. Gives me an excuse to run nothin' but good ole Mountains in a mono red deck, instead of my current RWB Burn build.
Yeah that's not happening. :p

The problem with Ghost Quarter in Standard right now is that not a lot of decks can afford to run 4x colorless lands. It's definitely wasteland a LOT.

JulianImp

Reflecting Pool + Vivids was broken in a way Fetch/Shocks are not. There are very real constraints still.

Fetches + Shocks + Deathrite Shaman could be quite crazy, though. The amount of concistency, deck-thinning and mana acceleration you could reach with these cards together in Standard could become problematic if control is kept neutered like it has been so far.

I wonder how close Ghost Quarter has to be to Wasteland in a format before it becomes a 4x in some decks.

I'd be running some copies in monocolored or two-color decks to deal with utility lands, but I'm currently running BUG, so I can't fit them without mangling my manabase. Filling decks with non-basics to the point Ghost Quarter actually doesn't fetch them anything would be crazy, and would probably happen only for one large tournament before people catch on and start running 2-3 basics again, I guess, but the shock on the player's faces the first time it happens would probably be amazing.

Reflecting Pool + Vivids already resulted in a deck that could cast Cruel Ultimatum, Cloudthresher and Cryptic Command back-to-back, so I'd shudder at the thought of a standard deck with a modern-esque mana base. The fetches would even thin decks, making players more likely to draw relevant spells over land as the game goes on, as well as being amazing Deathrite Shaman fodder.

Due to having shocks and Deathrite Shaman in Standard, I think they'll wait a bit before printing fetches (even more so if they intend to switch back to less multicolored decks starting with M14 and Theros).

As much as people complain about that, non 5 color decks did perfectly fine during that Standard. BW tokens was a big deck, along with some GW and RW token & Reveillark decks; Faeries was obviously huge, and was more dominant than 5c control, and for longer; BBE made Jund the go-to choice when it was printed; mono white Kithkin was still a deck; mono red never went away either. So I don't see why the Lorwyn/Alara standard was bad at all.

Hero

Would love for Onslaught fetches to be reprinted. They're a high barrier to entry for Legacy for a card that is completely eligible and reasonable to be printed again.

Also supposedly the new Judge foils are going to be Show and Tell and Vindicate (again).

alternade

I'm completely enamored at the idea of a fully UW control deck after playing with aetherling. I'm thinking of grist of ST, lawmage, stalker and restoration Angel. Dgm has given me so many new tools to build with.

y2dvd

Does Blood Scrivenger have a home in standards? Do you cast it T2, Lilliana T3, and just try to discard both hands as quickly as possible?

kirblar

As much as people complain about that, non 5 color decks did perfectly fine during that Standard. BW tokens was a big deck, along with some GW and RW token & Reveillark decks; Faeries was obviously huge, and was more dominant than 5c control, and for longer; BBE made Jund the go-to choice when it was printed; mono white Kithkin was still a deck; mono red never went away either. So I don't see why the Lorwyn/Alara standard was bad at all.
It wasn't really until Cascade hit that the deck went to "uh oh" territory.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wonder how close Ghost Quarter has to be to Wasteland in a format before it becomes a 4x in some decks.

Just needs some friend:
Image.ashx

Image.ashx

Maybe they can reprint Ruination & Price of Progress along with the fetches as a little... 'encouragement' to care about color restrictions.

That's a joke, but they can at least reprint, like, Anathemancer or something.

They should reprint Back to Basics. It's not on the reserve list, so it should be all good.

My LGS does drafting for FNM. Will this Friday (the 3rd) be DGM>GTC>RTR or will it still be GTC x3?

Should be DGM-GTC-RTR on Friday for the new set release.

I'm actually going to be drafting tonight, my Local store does drafts on Wednesday and Friday. Tonight will be a chaos draft. The shop always does a chaos draft on the last draft day before a new set is released. Chaos is actually one of my favorite draft formats, it's where you can bring in or buy 3 boosters from any set. Typically you see some exotic stuff at these. My friend is bringing in packs of Alliances. I'm coming in with Worldwake, another friend is getting Rise of the Eldrazi.

Should be DGM-GTC-RTR on Friday for the new set release.

I'm actually going to be drafting tonight, my Local store does drafts on Wednesday and Friday. Tonight will be a chaos draft. The shop always does a chaos draft on the last draft day before a new set is released. Chaos is actually one of my favorite draft formats, it's where you can bring in or buy 3 boosters from any set. Typically you see some exotic stuff at these. My friend is bringing in packs of Alliances. I'm coming in with Worldwake, another friend is getting Rise of the Eldrazi.

The last chaos draft I had was the worst. I don't think anyone drafted anything coherent and we all had tricolor mashes of nothing lol. How do yours typically go? I'm kind of uncomfortable not knowing what I will possibly see and randomly committing to an archetype that might not exist in the next pack

The last chaos draft I had was the worst. I don't think anyone drafted anything coherent and we all had tricolor mashes of nothing lol. How do yours typically go? I'm kind of uncomfortable not knowing what I will possibly see and randomly committing to an archetype that might not exist in the next pack

To be honest I've had it go really well with cards working together in ways you never expected. But, I've also had the incoherence that you mentioned. It's really hit or miss, and I kind of like not knowing what to expect going in. I find that it is always one of the two; awesome, or terrible. But, the fact that it only happens a few times a year means I'm always down to be amazed. Also, the option to see some Eldrazi, Force of Will, or Jace has me pumped.

They should reprint Back to Basics. It's not on the reserve list, so it should be all good.

I would say it makes no sense in the modern color pie (or even the 1998 version, tbh); blue loves artifice and human progress, whereas non-basic hate has usually been presented as a strong dislike of unnatural things, and typically goes in red. Even the flavor presented on Back to Basics itself doesn't make sense as a Blue card, given the flavor text and name, it feels green. Red wouldn't get Back to Basics either since keeping things tapped isn't red, so the card just doesn't make much sense, except maybe as an artifact or as a green card (see Entangling Vines).

That was a time period of the game when tons of things just got thrown into blue without much thought, and were later moved into the correct color (Pendrell Mists, Energy Flux, & Propaganda being some of the worse offenders).

Back to Basics has always been a pet peeve of mine, so I just wanted to bring that up :p

So a group of us are going to buy a box of Dragon's Maze and then have a booster draft.

I'm reading here that that is likely going to be pretty lame as the cards have more synergy with the previous two sets.

So what cards should I focus on? I'm really just buying in ($20) on the off chance that I can get my hands on some shocklands. It's only one box though, so I'm not expecting much.

I've never done a draft like this, so some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Yeef

Did DGM sealed with a couple of friends today (2 DGM, 2 GTC, 2 RTR). It was a lot of fun. They both pulled pontiff of blight, so I usually ended up losing out in their extort wars. Angelic Skirmisher + lifelink + lots of fliers kept me in the game most of the time. Lavina also did a bunch of work. I also have restore the peace and had hoped to use it after two opponents attacked into each other, but the opportunity never presented itself. Underworld Connections helped a bunch too.

I think the 2/2/2 model plays vastly better than the pre-release's 4/1/1 model. Can't wait to draft on Friday.

JulianImp

On the topic of Blood Moon, I think it's on the line between being just a decent card and a global land destruction card, as it's probably obnoxious enough to warp the metagame around it to a certain degree (ie: decks must run more basics, be base-red or run some enchantment removal they can cast either at instant speed or with only red and basic land mana). I think Wizards probably wouldn't want this to happen before Ravnica block's gone to make sure stores get to sell more Ravnica block packs.

An Anathemancer without unerath would probably be a safer bet, because it punishes non-basics but doesn't prevent players from actually casting their multicolored spells. Two damage would probably be too much, but with one damage and a CMC of three it'd probably have to provide some better value than being a 2/2 since it wouldn't be recurring itself.

I guess the card could be made slightly stronger stat and ability-wise if it hit all players, and it'd also be more flavorful that way.

An-Det

Yeah, especially in an environment like in Standard right now it would just be awful. In a year or two I could see it as they temporarily ebb away from the multicolor focus, but definitely not right now.

I wouldn't mind something like Anathemancer or Price of Progress (maybe a weaker version) in Standard right now, but I think Blood Mood would be too strong of a hoser for the format currently.

An-Det

I'd love a card that goes after colorless utility lands, though.

"Each player takes x damage for each land they control that cannot produce a colored mana?" (where x is between 1-3, not sure what'd be fair based on cmc). I would love to see something like that. You've got landwalks for basics, pop/aneth/BM/Wasteland for nonbasics in general, but nothing really targets those kinds of strategies. Suck it Tron lands.

I could see something like -

Cost of Moving Forward
Enchantment
Whenever a land is tapped for anything besides colored mana, ~ deals 2 damage to that land's controller.

OnPoint

"Each player takes x damage for each land they control that cannot produce a colored mana?" (where x is between 1-3, not sure what'd be fair based on cmc). I would love to see something like that. You've got landwalks for basics, pop/aneth/BM/Wasteland for nonbasics in general, but nothing really targets those kinds of strategies. Suck it Tron lands.

Would be totally overridden by Chromatic Lantern if made. Kind of a cool interaction.

bigkrev

Question for Kirblar or anyone else with SCG experience- how are the side events? I'm debating going to the one in NJ this weekend, but my travel buddies have zero interest in standard, but if there's EDH they will be happy.

Question for Kirblar or anyone else with SCG experience- how are the side events? I'm debating going to the one in NJ this weekend, but my travel buddies have zero interest in standard, but if there's EDH they will be happy.

My group attended one in Memphis last year, and we all had a blast, despite only two of us playing in the main (Standard) event. They had plenty of side draft and EDH events, and the place was packed with people so it wasn't difficult to find someone there down for trades or casual play.

It also gave us an excuse to prowl around Memphis for a weekend, so there was that.

kirblar

The drafts are cheap/pay out badly but are a good time-killer. Win-a-Box tends to fire regularly.

I don't get the appeal of EDH pods, though, myself.

ultron87

The drafts are cheap and fire pretty often. Prizes are bad but you're cracking packs below cost.

kirblar

You were totally right on Voice, Lucario, btw. I forgot that it's a 4x Mythic, like Huntmaster, and to price it accordingly as opposed to most other role-player mythics. I also failed to realize just how stupid it is in multiplayer.

I'm managed to grab 2 at 22 and 23.50, and traded for a third, so I've almost course-corrected.

So once again MTGO brings back a limited format I've never drafted before: Lorwyn. I plan on playing in a few for fun this weekend; any advice from anyone who's played the format before?

So I stopped into my LGS this afternoon to plop down for a box for tomorrow... and he mentions the midnight release they're doing.

Fuck.

No really, I have a real job that needs my real attention.

Fuck.

Hero

You were totally right on Voice, Lucario, btw. I forgot that it's a 4x Mythic, like Huntmaster, and to price it accordingly as opposed to most other role-player mythics. I also failed to realize just how stupid it is in multiplayer.

I'm managed to grab 2 at 22 and 23.50, and traded for a third, so I've almost course-corrected.

So is Voice on the way to becoming a 30+ mythic in the short to mid run? What decks does it fit into right now?

Jaeyden

Played against Voice tonight..or should I say, played around it. I just main phase removed everything else around it then finally Evil Twinned it. I definitely want the card but I also think it's easily dealt with...like reckoner.

OnPoint

Played against Voice tonight..or should I say, played around it. I just main phase removed everything else around it then finally Evil Twinned it. I definitely want the card but I also think it's easily dealt with...like reckoner.

It'll climb as high as $35 until people start to learn how to deal with it.

Lucario

Ral is better positioned for the format that's shaping up, but yeah, voice is amazing. Both cards do insane things in Standard, and Ral has some dangerous potential with Stasis. Even if that doesn't go anywhere, it's a powerful interaction that'll make his price go up.

"He's legacy playable" spreading around at LGSs will cause any planeswalker's price to skyrocket, even if he actually isn't.

He also kills Voice at sorcery speed pretty efficiently, if that's going to be a problem for the new control decks. Superfriends/fog is looking pretty decent in a format where people playing Revelation have a lot of new cards -- like sire of insanity -- to play around. People are mocking Dragon's Maze for being weak on MTGS, but I have no fucking clue why. There's at least a dozen cards that'll impact standard heavily, and Ral & Voice are absolutely absurd.

I ordered no voices (didn't have money when they were 20) but Ral dipped to 20-ish on ebay, and I'm excited about playin' some FNMs.

Top Bottom