• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

bigkrev

The fact that they showed us 5 different slivers, but not all 5 colors makes me think it is locked to Naya, with either a Reprint of Overlord or a new 5 color Mythic.

Crocodile

The fact that they showed us 5 different slivers, but not all 5 colors makes me think it is locked to Naya, with either a Reprint of Overlord or a new 5 color Mythic.

EVERY time Slivers have shown up they've been in all 5 colors. Why would that change now? Plus I'm sure there are fans of Slivers that would be upset that they didn't get new U or B ones. Also it would be weird to have a 5 color mythic sans mono-U and mono-B slivers in the set.

Not getting too excited until they show more constructed playable slivers.

I'm expecting any Rare & Mythic slivers to pick up the constructed slack. Also if Slivers become a thing in T2, I expect Sentinel and Blur Sliver may see play.

bigkrev

EVERY time Slivers have shown up they've been in all 5 colors. Why would that change now? Plus I'm sure there are fans of Slivers that would be upset that they didn't get new U or B ones. Also it would be weird to have a 5 color mythic sans mono-U and mono-B slivers in the set.

Wen they brought back Scry, which previously every color had, they restricted it to Blue and Black

When they brought back Exalted, they took away Green and Blues access to it and gave it to Black

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
They can't do slivers and half ass it. That's the whole point of them! Obnoxious, quick and stabby.

Cannot wait. Perfect for the post-zombie rotationacolypse

Crocodile

Wen they brought back Scry, which previously every color had, they restricted it to Blue and Black

When they brought back Exalted, they took away Green and Blues access to it and gave it to Black

True but I think the whole 5-colorness of Slivers was a big part of their appeal and identity. Though now they have legs so I dunno. I just know I wouldn't like it and I'm not even a big Sliver guy so I assume bigtime Sliver fans would care alot more. We'll see.

kirblar

The "big" expansions that used slivers were Tempest, Onslaught, and Time Spiral.

Onslaught.

Boy, wouldn't that be a funny coincidence.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea but Slivers are creatures not mechanics, every color has creatures.

kirblar

Just to be certain you are alluding to fetches right?
Oh, did you miss that juicy little rumor/tidbit a few pages back? :p (pleasebetruepleasebetrue)

Huh, the only thing I thought I knew about Slivers were that they had no limbs? Is this a redesign then?
They're supposed to be "hyperevolvers"....but they never evolved, lol.

Jarate

Banned
Yeah, called a few places, wont even let me preorder it

What a horrid idea by wizards. If they wanted to do something like this, why not do it for mtgo instead of making an incredibly limited run

kirblar

Yeah, called a few places, wont even let me preorder it

What a horrid idea by wizards. If they wanted to do something like this, why not do it for mtgo instead of making an incredibly limited run
MTGO's run will be hyper-limited because they use older draft formats to repopulate stock.

bigkrev

The "big" expansions that used slivers were Tempest, Onslaught, and Time Spiral.

Onslaught.

Boy, wouldn't that be a funny coincidence.

Maybe I'm just overly cynical, but the whole "remove ALL downside" attitude they have been using makes me think we won't be seeing lands that cause you to loose a life in a core set anytime soon.

My baseless prediction is no rare lands, and a reprint of the Alara tri-lands at uncommon.

kirblar

Maybe I'm just overly cynical, but the whole "remove ALL downside" attitude they have been using makes me think we won't be seeing lands that cause you to loose a life in a core set anytime soon.

My baseless prediction is no rare lands, and a reprint of the Alara tri-lands at uncommon.
Normally, you wouldn't want to do it, but there's a desperate need for a reprint on them, and they can just put the "buddy" M10/INN lands back in the next core set.

One thing I think they really messed up on though? The names of the Scars duals. Those lands turned out to be incredible.

bigkrev

Normally, you wouldn't want to do it, but there's a desperate need for a reprint on them, and they can just put the "buddy" M10/INN lands back in the next core set.

One thing I think they really messed up on though? The names of the Scars duals. Those lands turned out to be incredible.

Why do they need a reprint? Wouldn't reprinting the Zendikar ones be better, because they are already Modern Legal? You can't really put them in a core set cause they are enemy colored, but I don't see why they can't be in any Large expansion (its not like there was an off color theme in Zendikar).

With new art, I think the Scars ones could work. The only one thats a real stretch is the G/W one.

kirblar

Why do they need a reprint? Wouldn't reprinting the Zendikar ones be better, because they are already Modern Legal? You can't really put them in a core set cause they are enemy colored, but I don't see why they can't be in any Large expansion (its not like there was an off color theme in Zendikar).

With new art, I think the Scars ones could work. The only one thats a real stretch is the G/W one.
Modern badly wants them, and the Onslaught ones are pushing $70-80 now on the top end.

Sinatar

Why do they need a reprint? Wouldn't reprinting the Zendikar ones be better, because they are already Modern Legal?

Because that would then make all 10 pairs modern legal, which is a much better situation then the same 5.

Of course they could go all in and reprint all 10.

kirblar

Because that would then make all 10 pairs modern legal, which is a much better situation then the same 5.

Of course they could go all in and reprint all 10.
I would really hope they do that if they do it, just so they don't need to again for a while.

vikki

Slivers evolved to no longer include all slivers on the battlefield? Slivers have legs? Wizards must have a card up their sleeve. They wouldn't mess with slivers unless it was a good idea... Or so I assume.

MTGO's run will be hyper-limited because they use older draft formats to repopulate stock.

I've been assuming that we'll see it for two weeks (the standard length of time for a special set). The real question will be whether they do fire-on-demands, scheduled events, or some mix of both.

Slivers evolved to no longer include all slivers on the battlefield? Slivers have legs? Wizards must have a card up their sleeve. They wouldn't mess with slivers unless it was a good idea... Or so I assume.

One thing it does is provide something familiar to players that have played in the past

Good move by Wizards to bring Slivers back. Slivers always had crazy casual appeal, so this will get M14 hyped. Thinking about the sets that have been revealed, R&D is pretty clever...

Gothic horror
Return to fan-favorite setting (with shocks!)
Slivers
Greek Mythology

Magic's going to keep going strong for at least a little while longer, at least from a casual perspective.

Corsick

Will m14 be reprinting tap/shock lands? I was waiting until the next full rotation of cards started so I wouldn't get expensive lands halfway through their life cycle. Will they be around for a full year from the start of m14 or is that this fall when everything gets rotated out?

Will m14 be reprinting tap/shock lands? I was waiting until the next full rotation of cards started so I wouldn't get expensive lands halfway through their life cycle. Will they be around for a full year from the start of m14 or is that this fall when everything gets rotated out?

Tap lands will be gone in when Theros releases as will Innistrad tap lands unless of course they are reprinted. Shocklands are good until next october.

No one knows what they'll do for M14. Personal speculation says they will not be printing them again since they have been printed so many times already and comments regarding their existence in M13 from wizards.

Shocklands don't get rotated out until the expansion block AFTER the one coming out this fall/winter/spring. So you've got at least 1.5 years left on those suckers. Buy with confidence. The tapped ones from Innistrad and M13 will stay legal if they are reprinted. Don't know about that, though.

Corsick

Shocklands don't get rotated out until the expansion block AFTER the one coming out this fall/winter/spring. So you've got at least 1.5 years left on those suckers. Buy with confidence. The tapped ones from Innistrad and M13 will stay legal if they are reprinted. Don't know about that, though.

I'm guessing that's why people say shocklands are always the best investment early on? At least I've always heard that getting your mana base taken care of is best before you blow money on thundermaws and falkenrath aristocrats and such.

I'm guessing that's why people say shocklands are always the best investment early on? At least I've always heard that getting your mana base taken care of is best before you blow money on thundermaws and falkenrath aristocrats and such.

Lands are always the best investment because they can be used in any decks that need the color. They will always keep their value since they are used outside of standard. The same may not be true about aristocrats and thundermaws.

Buying Innistrad block now if you plan on sticking in Standard only is a bit of a waste, at least for the heavy swingers. But the prices can be justified if you really enjoy winning. This is the prime time for the format and when all of the design comes to bear.

Shocklands are also a good investment for casual play and for other non-standard forms of play. I'm planning on picking up a full playset of all of them before we rotate out of drafting Ravnica block and the prices stabilize upward again.

edit: goddamnit narcosis, again?

castlegar

Thinking about running this tomorrow: Varolz Jund. Would love some feedback.

4x Diregraf Ghoul
3x Falkenrath Aristocrat
3x Ghor-Clan Rampager
4x Gravecrawler
4x Lotleth Troll
2x Rakdos Cackler
2x Spike Jester
1x Thundermaw Hellkite
4x Varolz, the Scar-Striped
2x Vexing Devil

3x Rancor
2x Searing Spear
1x Ultimate Price
2x Dreadbore
1x Pillar of Flame

4x Blood Crypt
2x Dragonskull Summit
4x Overgrown Tomb
3x Rootbound Crag
3x Stomping Ground
4x Swamp
2x Woodland Cemetery

Sideboard
2x Abrupt Decay
1x Appetite for Brains
3x Duress
1x Pillar of Flame
3x Tormod's Crypt
4x Tragic Slip
1x Ultimate Price

Basically, a zombie/jund aggro deck that utilized Varolz's scavenge ability to make big threats that can finish. Considering putting Nighthawk's in there somewhere for lifegain and more flying, but not sure where.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Sinatar

rakdos cackler is probably worse then vexing devil in that deck, I'd drop the cacklers for more devils.

Yeef

Tap lands will be gone in when Theros releases as will Innistrad tap lands unless of course they are reprinted. Shocklands are good until next october.

No one knows what they'll do for M14. Personal speculation says they will not be printing them again since they have been printed so many times already and comments regarding their existence in M13 from wizards.
In one of the articles they did when M13 came out, they said that originally they didn't even want the 'checklands' in that set, but kept them in because, going into a multicolor block and having only the enemy-color ones available would be odd. I can't see them reprinting them in M14.

Desecration Demon might be fun in there. 6/6 flying for 2BB and if you scavenge him you're getting maximum value.

Slumbering Dragon could benefit from this and fits in with your cheap for bigger later scheme.

Also Corpsejack Menace.

Domri Rade in board for moderate resilience against board wiping.

castlegar

rakdos cackler is probably worse then vexing devil in that deck, I'd drop the cacklers for more devils.

Desecration Demon might be fun in there. 6/6 flying for 2BB and if you scavenge him you're getting maximum value.

Slumbering Dragon could benefit from this and fits in with your cheap for bigger later scheme.

Also Corpsejack Menace.

Domri Rade in board for moderate resilience against board wiping.

Yeah taking out the cackler's is a good call for sure. And I really like the Domri Rade idea. Thanks guys!

Limited print run; already secured the maximum amount of money they could make on the product (why advertise something that was sold out from day 1?); won't generate extra demand (and resulting grumpiness) from casuals if they don't create buzz.

rCIZZLE

Limited print run; already secured the maximum amount of money they could make on the product (why advertise something that was sold out from day 1?); won't generate extra demand (and resulting grumpiness) from casuals if they don't create buzz.

Ya but they're still going to advertise it the week of the 27th. Why not just do that now?

Top Bottom