• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

ultron87

Ooooh, definitely! I snapped up as many Zendikar full-arts as I could when they first came out. A decision I do not regret.

I wish I had been playing during that set. I'd have collected tons of those if it had been an option. Now I only have the few I bought off Ebay.

If I could have any lands it'd be the Guru Lands. So pretty. So expensive.

Jaeyden

They have an interesting problem with Modern, it's supposed to be good to invest in but you might find a key card banned whenever that fucks you out of £100.

Yeah, it's a bit backwards this time though. Bloodbraid was a cheap card but the most logical replacement in that slot is Huntsmaster...and a playset is $100. Not too thrilled about having to chase them down now.

alternade

How viable is a mill deck in standard right now? My friend is dead set on making one and i've pretty much told him that it wont work with out little Jace because everything else is going to outpace it. He wont listen and thinks that mill is like the best thing ever but with all the grave yard stuff still going around idk. Im going over to his house tomorrow to try and build it, but I really want him to play UWG enchantments because its such a fast and east deck.

ultron87

How viable is a mill deck in standard right now? My friend is dead set on making one and i've pretty much told him that it wont work with out little Jace because everything else is going to outpace it. He wont listen and thinks that mill is like the best thing ever but with all the grave yard stuff still going around idk. Im going over to his house tomorrow to try and build it, but I really want him to play UWG enchantments because its such a fast and east deck.

You're a bad person.

I kinda wish they would play around a bit with the design of basic lands. It seems to me like Innistrad could have had some sweet Horror-themed frames, or Scars block lands could have had their frames increasingly Phyrexianized.

I inherited a box of about 600 of these. I think I'm going to sit on these for years.

A buddy informed me my full art, foil island from unhinged is $50!
Not a bad move, since Zendikar lands are already up to about a buck a piece, and will only go up from there. It was awesome how Zendikar and Worldwake fat packs gave bundles of full-art lands.

I wish I had been playing during that set. I'd have collected tons of those if it had been an option. Now I only have the few I bought off Ebay.

If I could have any lands it'd be the Guru Lands. So pretty. So expensive.

Oh wow, I never seen those before. Those look awesome!

OnPoint

I've been trying to brew a mill deck for a bit now and it's not working too well. Maybe it'll be easier with Gatecrash.

I've been trying to brew a mill deck for a bit now and it's not working too well. Maybe it'll be easier with Gatecrash.

mill nowadays is just a basic blue/white shell with drownyard (land that mills). It doesn't mill or win fast, but it's the win condition in the deck that is most reliable.

JulianImp

I kinda wish they would play around a bit with the design of basic lands. It seems to me like Innistrad could have had some sweet Horror-themed frames, or Scars block lands could have had their frames increasingly Phyrexianized.

Not a bad move, since Zendikar lands are already up to about a buck a piece, and will only go up from there. It was awesome how Zendikar and Worldwake fat packs gave bundles of full-art lands.

At the very least, New Phyrexia had phyrexian-ized versions of the original Mirrodin's artifact lands, and Avacyn Restored had day shots of lands which were previously depicted during the night. They might be minor nods, but they're somewhat fun anyway.

As far as I know, Zendikar fat packs came with regular frame basic lands (that is, the full-art was cropped to fit into a regular card's illustration frame). The only way to get full-art lands was by getting them from packs (I'm not sure if theme decks had full-art basics).

It should be somewhat easier thanks to the Dimir. They don't have anything like the previous Ravnica's Glimpse the Unthinkable (sorcery for UB that milled ten cards), but you can always combine cypher cards with Innistrad's Invisible Stalker (especially the ones that tap a creature and mill three cards). The dimir guildmage is weird, since he turns milling into damage (it would've been more fun if it had worked the other way around), and there're a few more milling cards you could use, such as the guild's prerelease promo.

If you had legacy staples i would consider it...

I got a JTMS, Umezawas Jitte, and a few other cards from my U/W legacy stoneforge deck. That was definitely a sad day :(

bigkrev

Fuck design elements, just give me some new basic lands that actually say (tap) add R to your mana pool, like they did pre-MM/6th. I only use those in my decks- Mirage or Tempest Forests, Urza's Saga Mountains, Mirage Planes, Urza's Saga Swamps, and Tempest Islands.

At the very least, New Phyrexia had phyrexian-ized versions of the original Mirrodin's artifact lands, and Avacyn Restored had day shots of lands which were previously depicted during the night. They might be minor nods, but they're somewhat fun anyway.
The art for the lands is always gorgeous, and appropriate, I just find using the same frames and palettes to be a little clunky, IMO.

As far as I know, Zendikar fat packs came with regular frame basic lands (that is, the full-art was cropped to fit into a regular card's illustration frame). The only way to get full-art lands was by getting them from packs (I'm not sure if theme decks had full-art basics).

I think you're right. I didn't actually pick up a Zendikar fat-pack, but I do remember getting a pack of full-arts so that may have been something exclusive to Worldwake fat packs.

f0rk

So you get 1 promo basic from the Dragon's Maze prerelease? Doesn't seem that great considering you are only cool if you use all the same basics which would be hard if you wanted more than 1 or 2.

noquarter

Looks like you got the full-art a little backwards, the fat packs (at least of Worldwake) came with 48 lands (a forty pack and one in each pack). The theme decks had the cropped ones, so the only way to get those was buying theme decks.

And I did like the Avacyn and Innistras lands having a day and night thing going on. Never noticed the NPH having the original artifact lands in them, but didn't really like any of the lands in that set.

Fuck design elements, just give me some new basic lands that actually say (tap) add R to your mana pool, like they did pre-MM/6th. I only use those in my decks- Mirage or Tempest Forests, Urza's Saga Mountains, Mirage Planes, Urza's Saga Swamps, and Tempest Islands.

They probably won't, since they've made the distinction between a mana-ability, and producing the mana as an inherit quality (for anyone who doesn't get this, note that the shocklands list the mana abilities in the reminder text). Otherwise, I get were you're coming from. I miss the Summon [creature] line on old creature spells, myself.

bigkrev

They updated the Arcana today to clarify how the prerelease actually works

So let’s look at an example: You’re a Dimir player, so that’s the guild you pick. That guild pack might have Return to Ravnica's Azorius as its secret ally (although it could also be Izzet, Rakdos, or Golgari). That guild pack would have four Dragon's Maze booster packs, one Gatecrash Dimir guild Prerelease pack, and one Return to Ravnica Azorius guild Prerelease pack. The two guild packs will be the same as they were in their original Prerelease, but will not have that set's Prerelease promo for those guilds. The guild Prerelease packs will contain the Dragon’s Maze Prerelease promo but not a Spindown life counter, sticker, or guild welcome letter.

I don't know if I like this- someone who picks Boros and gets a Rakdos as his second is going to have a much better go than someone who picks Azorius and gets a Gruul pack as his second. They should have made it so that the second pack matched one of your guilds colors.

ultron87

Edit: Beaten.

So you get 4 Dragon's Maze boosters, and then your guild's booster and an allied guild's booster. Isn't 4 packs a lot of to get from a small set for sealed?

Oh, and no spindown die. Boooo.

The Simic die is my favorite.

They updated the Arcana today to clarify how the prerelease actually works

I don't know if I like this- someone who picks Boros and gets a Rakdos as his second is going to have a much better go than someone who picks Azorius and gets a Gruul pack as his second. They should have made it so that the second pack matched one of your guilds colors.

Bingo!

Willectro

Banned
You could get your hands on an Event Deck, which most of the time are fairly well-built. Return to Ravnica doesn't have a blue deck, but Gatecrash has a Simic (blue-green) one, although it hasn't been released yet.

If you haven't played for a long while, I'd advise against playing in drafts, since it takes a while to get used to it. Sealed would be a better option, but since the prerelease events are over, I'm not sure if you'll find any events to play in (since I don't flollow the GP/PT schedule, I'm not sure if there's a sealed one coming up).

Most of the time, blue works as a support color nowadays. Luckily, Ravnica gives you four blue-aligned guilds you can choose (the spell-oriented Izzet, the milling Dimir, the creature-based Simic or the control-tempo Azorius), so you'll proably be able to build a deck that suits your preferred playstyle.

Thanks for the info. I will have to look into preordering some of these event decks. I'm going to have to decide how I want to play.

What's that? You need some cards to get started?

Hit me up. Posting this public for anybody else looking to get started.

Thanks a lot. I'll PM you.

If you are getting back into the game I would ask you how competitive do you want to be? How much are you looking to sink into standard? The "best deck" is often a meta-game call. Unless you want to just build a good deck and stick with it, you'd be investing in standard staples that have gotten very expensive in the past few years.

Personally, I'd start with the duel lands (reprints). They are used in every deck and also used in modern.

Here again, probably something I have to put some thought into. I'd like to get competitive eventually.

Thanks for the info. I will have to look into preordering some of these event decks. I'm going to have to decide how I want to play.

Thanks a lot. I'll PM you.

Here again, probably something I have to put some thought into. I'd like to get competitive eventually.

I'd say start with something like Black/Red or Black/Green zombies. No extremely expensive mythic. Black/Green would probably be your best bet as they have more, newer cards that are going to stay in standard for quite some time.

I wonder if each guild has a set in stone "secret friend" or if this second guild is pulled from a list of candidates, or if its completely random.

JulianImp

Looks like you got the full-art a little backwards, the fat packs (at least of Worldwake) came with 48 lands (a forty pack and one in each pack). The theme decks had the cropped ones, so the only way to get those was buying theme decks.

And I did like the Avacyn and Innistras lands having a day and night thing going on. Never noticed the NPH having the original artifact lands in them, but didn't really like any of the lands in that set.

Yeah, I had never bought either one, so I wasn't too sure about that.

Also, I remember the Rise of the Eldrazi basic lands of each type formed a mural when put together. Still, it was nowhere near as cool as getting full-art lands in each booster pack. I think I have about 15-20 of each kind, so I can build multicolor decks with 100% full-art basics, but not monocolored ones.

Sadly, my LGS has cut saturday tournaments, so I'm stuck with just 20:30 FNMs for now... I really miss the old Launch Parties, since the store's reorganized schedule probably means we won't be getting a draft for quite a while.

As far as guild mechanics go, I think Evolve, Detain, Scavenge, Unleash, Populate and Extort were good mechanics, but I didn't like the other ones that much. Mostly, Cypher stuck out like a sore thumb because it basically casts spells for free, which is something they've never managed to do right (we'd mostly get bad cards, a slew of decent ones and some rediculously broken, nearly format-warping ones), so they ended up being too conservative with the effects and mana costs; also, Overload failed to capture the Izzet guild's essence, which was a big let down since it's my favorite guild alongside the Simic.

It would've been interesting if you were able to encode stuff onto your opponent's creatures as well as your own, since it'd have fit thematically and would've made even the currently unplayable cards somewhat better (like a punisher version of "can't attack" auras, I guess).

I'd say start with something like Black/Red or Black/Green zombies. No extremely expensive mythic. Black/Green would probably be your best bet as they have more, newer cards that are going to stay in standard for quite some time.

If he likes blue decks, then I guess he should stick to that for a while. Zombies are (or at least used to be) somewhat expensive to build, mostly due to requiring playsets of Gravecrawler, Geralf's Messenger, whichever multicolored lands you needed and other expensive rares such as Deathrite Shaman, the M13 mythic Hellkite, Falkenrath Aristocrat and/or Lotleth Troll.

Wichu

That won't happen - you get one of the four guilds from the other set that matches your colours.

Here are how the guild packs will work out:

Azorius : Orzhov/Dimir/Boros/Simic
Orzhov : Azorius/Rakdos/Golgari/Selesnya
Dimir : Azorius/Izzet/Rakdos/Golgari
Izzet : Dimir/Gruul/Boros/Simic
Rakdos : Orzhov/Dimir/Gruul/Boros
Golgari : Orzhov/Dimir/Gruul/Simic
Gruul : Izzet/Rakdos/Golgari/Selesnya
Boros : Azorius/Izzet/Rakdos/Selesnya
Selesnya : Orzhov/Gruul/Boros/Simic
Simic : Azorius/Izzet/Golgari/Selesnya

I think I might go Simic again.

EDIT:
Wizards said:
When you walk in to a Dragon's Maze Prerelease, you'll get to select your favorite guild from among all of the ten guilds of Ravnica! That guild pack will have a secret allied guild, which will share one color with your chosen guild, and also always be from the opposite set as your chosen guild.

ultron87

I wonder if each guild has a set in stone "secret friend" or if this second guild is pulled from a list of candidates, or if its completely random.

It sounds like it is random from the guilds in the other set that your guild share's a color with.

Entirely off these two sets, I'll totally pick Azorius again.

Ah I see, I guess my question would have been answered if I just went to the site. :p

Thanks for the clarification!

I guess the best route is to choose the guild you like the least, and base your decision around what choice excludes it.

JulianImp

That's some interesting information! I like how they'll be giving you two guild packs which will be your only source of non-Dragon's Maze cards. It means each guild will have an eight-rare pool to pull from, with a 1/8 chance to get each guild leader).

I'll probably go Simic for the first event and Golgari, Dimir or Orzhov for the second one. I don't want to choose Izzet since I don't like the other red-based guilds.

It seems they planned the block quite well, since all guilds except the Izzet have creature-centric abilities that would mingle reasonably well with each other.

However, is Wichu's list the real thing? Azorius, for example, could be paired with Izzet or Selesnya as well if the only requirement is sharing a color with your main guild.

If the list is right, I like the potential partners for Golgari a lot more than Dimir or Orzhov's.

JulianImp

Oh, I missed that! However, that means Selesnya would have Boros as a possible partner rather than Azorius.

After looking at each guild and how well it works with its possible partners, I think the best main guilds would be Azorius, Simic, Golgari and Gruul. I tried to explain the reasons why I think these guilds are the best in a vacuum, but in the end I scrapped it since it was a bit too long for my taste, and it probably won't matter much since you'll be getting four booster packs full of cards we don't know anything about for now.

Takuan

I don't like the idea of random secret guilds in terms of flavor/story. It would be cool, however, if there was trickery/backstabbing going on for certain guilds, i.e. an Azorius main could be allied with Dimir, but a Dimir main might instead ally with Golgari/Simic/Orzhov.

I just don't understand why you kill the deck entirely. If it's gotten too good, nerf it back, don't kill it entirely. Ban Goblin Electromancer or Epic Experiment and let the deck go back to pre-RTR levels of power. But I don't understand why they felt the need to make it a completely unplayable thing.

Storm is one of the worst mechanics in Magic and it really should be killed entirely. I disagree with their decision to ban Song though, just ban the Storm cards and get it over with.

The real problem was their foolish decision to try and bring back "fixed Storm" in Time Spiral. They already knew it was one of the worst mechanics and had publicly said as much and admitted that it was a broken mechanic.

Them WOTC designers & developers love themselves a challenge though, and so we got "fixed Storm" aka Grapshot/Empty the Warrens aka "yeah, this mechanic really is broken trash, hope you like stuffing your sideboard full of Storm hate if you're a fair deck".

Storm is one of the worst mechanics in Magic and it really should be killed entirely. I disagree with their decision to ban Song though, just ban the Storm cards and get it over with.

The real problem was their foolish decision to try and bring back "fixed Storm" in Time Spiral. They already knew it was one of the worst mechanics and had publicly said as much and admitted that it was a broken mechanic.

Them WOTC designers & developers love themselves a challenge though, and so we got "fixed Storm" aka Grapshot/Empty the Warrens aka "yeah, this mechanic really is broken trash, hope you like stuffing your sideboard full of Storm hate if you're a fair deck".

they did make flusterstorm and a few other cards that stopped storm, but really it's played in like 2 formats and it's not the "best" in either one

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
they did make flusterstorm and a few other cards that stopped storm, but really it's played in like 2 formats and it's not the "best" in either one

According to their stats Storm has the second highest win rate in their magic online tournies behind Jund.

According to their stats Storm has the second highest win rate in their magic online tournies behind Jund.

Are you talking about modern? I'm talking about paper magic and large venues. Not sure MTGO would be the best comparison in that regard because storm is an extremely cheap deck and can be played in pauper (which isn't really a real format)

I'm mainly talking about legacy and modern and top 8 finishes

also keep in mind that flusterstorm is legacy only

Yeah, I kinda wish they killed a different card, but I guess they don't want all-in Red to be a deck either.

Also, figures that the card they ban out of Jund is the one affordable card, lol. (I understand why it was BBE, I just find it funny how it broke down.)

Yeah, I kinda wish they killed a different card, but I guess they don't want all-in Red to be a deck either.

Also, figures that the card they ban out of Jund is the one affordable card, lol. (I understand why it was BBE, I just find it funny how it broke down.)

I believe that is how the deck won, as it's mainly an attrition deck that 1 for 1s you and doesn't have other ways of actually pulling ahead.

When you say "it's played in like 2 formats" do you mean Storm or Flusterstorm?

Regardless, Flusterstorm is blue, which doesn't solve the problem :p Blue tempo decks already have enough ways to deal with Storm by countering the enablers while applying strong pressure, though of course good Storm decks put up a fight (ANT, TES) and bad Storm decks roll over (Belcher, SI). Cards that "stop" Storm already exist (Mindbreak Trap, Rule of Law, Ethersworn Canonist, etc.); they don't actually solve the underlying problem though, which is why they don't work.

The issue is that "fair decks", including slower blue control decks and things like Loam or Junk, tend to be very soft to Storm because they like playing longer, durdlier games and lack either the means to interact with the Storm player or the clock to make that interaction relevant. "Fair aggro" decks like Zoo are also in this position; they are fast but not nearly as fast as Storm combo, so they can't race, yet racing is really their only option. Often you have to put so much work into your sideboard to get it prepared for Storm decks that you lose a lot of flexibility on anything else (or gimp your own clock), and you still having a bad game one win%.

Storm is an inherently non-interactive deck because it likes to operate entirely on chaining instants and sorceries on the stack. And the way the color pie is designed, this inherently limits most colors' options in dealing with it. Hate bears and hate enchantments have never worked well at dealing with Storm, even after years of printing different and varied hate bears. They are way too easy to just sculpt around and go off, they are a little slow, and they are often super narrow and don't do much else. The only really strong ones are ones like Thalia which throttle the entire stack.

Takuan

Oh, has anyone who ordered R2R boosters from Massdrop received their packs yet? If so, how were the spoils? I wanted to get in on it, but was suspicious due to mapping shenanigans. If it's not a scam, I'll probably buy some packs if they do the same promo for Gatecrash.

I really hope in Dragon's Maze there's a cycle of 4-color creatures, similar to the Nephilims, only Legendary so they can be used for EDH.

Willectro

Banned

Hmmm, those sound pretty interesting. Anywhere you suggest to read up on them?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Oh, has anyone who ordered R2R boosters from Massdrop received their packs yet? If so, how were the spoils? I wanted to get in on it, but was suspicious due to mapping shenanigans. If it's not a scam, I'll probably buy some packs if they do the same promo for Gatecrash.

De-lurking to say that mine come in on Saturday, and I'm drafting next week, so I'll have an update sometime thereafter.

I bought enough for a box, and think I'm getting sent an unopened box (at least, that's what a rep told someone on the massdrop reddit), but will report back with details.

Top Bottom