• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Well, I jumped into another Sealed release event on MTGO today. The pool was much better than yesterday's; this is what I ended up playing:

s4704rC.png

Match one I was up against a BUG deck that didn't put up too much resistance. Nothing particularly threatening, and no real answers for my stuff. It looked like he must have had a really crappy pool.

Match two I faced a mirror match. Game one was a war of attrition in which I ultimately came out on top. He got out to a quick start, but I was able to stabilize and eventually blew out his board by breaking up some double blocks with removal. Game two I just got straight run over; I kept a slow hand, and he went 2-drop, 2-drop, 3-drop, removal, removal, removal, you're dead.

Game three was another war of attrition, but the difference this time was that he had Varolz, the Scar-Striped. Holy crap - that card is really good in limited. By the time I ultimately removed it and managed to get ahead on board position, I was too low on life and died to an Explosive Impact + Extort.

Match three was another non-match. My opponent never played anything relevant, and died fairly quickly both games on the back of some pretty quick starts with Rix Maadi Guildmage.

Match four was one of the most frustrating experiences I've had playing limited Magic recently. My opponent dropped a turn 4 Desecration Demon on the play, and followed it up a few turns later with an Obzedat, Ghost Council. I finally drew the Sire of Insanity (first time in the tournament!) that blew out the rest of his hand (which was packed with burn spells including a Morgue Burst). In the topdeck war, I managed to remove his Desecration Demon, but repeatedly blinking Obzedat was enough for him to seal the deal.

Game two saw him open with the Sunhome Guildmage into the Rix Maadi Guildmage. I flooded pretty hard, and was forced to drop a Sire of Insanity onto a board that doesn't favor that play at all (I'll gladly trade out all the lands in my hand for the contents of his, but I'm not happy about my board position at all). When your opponent has powerful mana sinks already on the board, Sire does basically nothing, and I was forced to watch him beat me down again.

Another 2-2 result. This one was really disappointing because the pool looked like a 3-1 pool as opposed to yesterday's mess.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
iouDzzsqtIJaS.jpg

My pool tonight. The cards were solid but the mana base was terrible, went 2-2 thanks to mana screw.

Progenitor Mimic is awesome though. I got to slap him on voidwielder a couple of times and Sylan Primordial once.

rCIZZLE

What did the rest of your pool look like? ^^ edit: meant div but i'd like to see both :p

Oh and mtgo regulars, how long until 3rd set packs become worth more than 2.5 tix sale? Had some success in the release sealeds so far but not really liking the low tix that DGM packs are fetching.

What did the rest of your pool look like? ^^ edit: meant div but i'd like to see both :p

Oh and mtgo regulars, how long until 3rd set packs become worth more than 2.5 tix sale? Had some success in the release sealeds so far but not really liking the low tix that DGM packs are fetching.

Sure!

W8Vn3Kb.jpg

I knew immediately I was playing Black and Red, and that my blue was terrible. I was this close to playing BRW, but when I laid it all out I felt that there was too much pressure on the mana base. The Jund version didn't require a ton of green and didn't have any green in the 2-drop slot, which meant the mana would be easier. That was the tipping point for me to choose Jund over BRW.

I did have the BRW deck saved so that I could easily side into it if I wanted to, but never felt like it was right.

Also, none of the white cards seemed powerful enough to splash a fourth color for. But if you have any other ideas on how to build the pool, let me know!

EDIT: And the reason for running two Cluestones was to enable T5 Sires more often. Plus, cracking a Cluestone after using it to cast a Sire is serious value.

I am curious to get your guys opinion on something: would you run a half-off-color guildgate just for the chance to turn on your gatekeepers?

Oh, and I would bet that DGM packs won't be worth much until release events are over. The sealed events all pay out in DGM packs and require tickets, so everybody is trying to offload them as fast as possible.

rCIZZLE

Ya your BRW looks insane for a sealed pool. The mana wouldn't even be too bad with scorchwalker and potentially rogue being the only ones to require double mana of a single color. Good removal too for keeping the pressure on.

Of the build you went with though I like most of it. The gatekeepers are kind of iffy though without enough gates to reliably get the bonus. DRS and Rogue seem like they'd be good replacements. Adaptive Snapjaw is super-iffy too. He only becomes safe to attack for value after being evolved a couple times since even most 2 drops trade for him.

kirblar

Spoiler dump just happened.

I think we're getting Enchantments as a theme for Theros. Could be wrong though, but it would sync well w/ RTR.

Also, there are (unkeyworded) landfall cards. You know. Just saying.

Sinatar

I think we're getting Enchantments as a theme for Theros. Could be wrong though, but it would sync well w/ RTR.

No link to said spoiler dump?

OnPoint

There goes my sleep for the night ^^ lol.

Into the Wilds looks like edh gold. And damn, seeing scavenging ooze on the spoiler page makes me realize how awesome this set will be. Out of any card I wanted to see printed, that was probably the top one.

[/QUOTE] Also plays real well with Domri Rade

Ya your BRW looks insane for a sealed pool. The mana wouldn't even be too bad with scorchwalker and potentially rogue being the only ones to require double mana of a single color. Good removal too for keeping the pressure on.

Of the build you went with though I like most of it. The gatekeepers are kind of iffy though without enough gates to reliably get the bonus. DRS and Rogue seem like they'd be good replacements. Adaptive Snapjaw is super-iffy too. He only becomes safe to attack for value after being evolved a couple times since even most 2 drops trade for him.

My concern wasn't with needing double mana, but the mix of mana I would need in the early turns. When I assembled the BRW build, the 2/3 slot looked really, really awkward:

4kgUF0t.png

This is what I had saved to pull up and play around with if I wanted to side into it; I cut one of the Wights because it wasn't aggressive enough. But just look at that rainbow of 2/3 drop creatures. Maybe I'm completely wrong or just not willing to take enough risks, but I didn't feel comfortable playing a deck with 2/3 drop slots looking like that and only the single Orzhov Guildgate. With a couple more guildgates in color, I probably would have done it. But I just saw myself having to mulligan so many hands that would have mismatching lands with creatures, and I couldn't justify it to myself.

I've been evaluating my deckbuilding from this pool. I chose a build that was (IMO) less explosive, but more consistent. It's possible that the BRW build was more likely to run good and go 3-1 than the Jund build, but the Jund build was far less likely to run bad and go 1-3 than the BRW was. In other words, the BRW may have been more variant, with higher highs and lower lows.

Regarding the gatekeepers: 2/4s are really good, even without the added value. Those guys blocked all day, and had large enough butts to enable them to attack profitably as well. The Snapjaw is a creature that I have an unnatural love affair with; he trades up incredibly well when blocking (if necessary), and even if you just evolve him once he attacks really well. He also demands blocks from your opponent, which get even sweeter for if you have combat tricks (such as, say, the guildmage or the Skinbrand Goblin).

The Deathrite Shaman came out of the board in any matchup that I expected to go long. If the first game ended quickly, he stayed in the side. I never once drew him in those games. I never seriously considered the Deathcult Rogue, but that was probably an oversight on my part. It also may have been correct to play a single Deviant Glee, but I tend to dislike Auras in general, so my personal bias kept them in the board.

Hero

I definitely think Theros is going to be enchantment themed. I remember Maro answering a bunch of questions regarding 'enchantment' blocks lately.

£220 for a box of Modern Masters, with another site only selling packs for £7, but is not allowing pre orders. Yeah I don't think I'm the target audience for this release. Maybe next time.

f0rk

Mines doing rrp at £150 but they aren't officially taking preorders I'm just on a list. If I get mine I'll probably leave it unopened until I move back there proper and then try and draft it

zethren

Banned
Mythics should rarely be good enough to be staples. They should almost always be big "unplayable" cards. Keeps prices down.

y2dvd

In MTGO, can you get "store credit" for winning drafts? Thinking of getting it but don't want to have to keep paying for drafts.

I personally think the beta client is a disaster, but it might just be that I'm too used to the old one.

I switch between them depending on which PC I'm on, and think that if you are coming in without years of experience with the old one, they are fairly even in the "wtf were they thinking" to "this is great" ratio.

Sinatar

Man I finally take down an 8-4 and don't screengrab my deck. It was a really odd Blue, red, white splash black deck with Aurelia, Alms Beast, and Archon of the Triumverate as my bombs.

The real all-stars though?

Image.ashx
&
Image.ashx

noquarter

Drafted at the LGS last night, first time drafting DGM, GTC, RTR and somehow pulled out a surprisingly playable BGWu deck. Went 3-1, only losing the last match on a bad opening.

The whole night I got pretty flooded with mana, but somehow was able to come back and win. Scavenge with Unclinching Fury and Phytohrdra change games pretty quickly. Still only used Orzhov Charm for removal though. Favorite play of the night was Extorting an Azorious Cluestone for the win :)

kirblar

Zac apparently screwed up and mentioned "Enchantment Tokens" on camera. Felt like Theros was going to be an Enchantment block (due to RTR block/M14 setting up for one) but that pretty much clinches it.

bigkrev

Zac apparently screwed up and mentioned "Enchantment Tokens" on camera. Felt like Theros was going to be an Enchantment block (due to RTR block/M14 setting up for one) but that pretty much clinches it.

Well, considering we didn't get any other announcements on the stream, ill take it.

Also, LSV will be doing coverage (commentary) tommorrow for top 8, which is great. He is so good at it I kinda hope he never gets another top8 so we always get his commentary

thetechkid

So I just ordered my first fatpack off amazon since it was on sale earlier today. I'm still new to magic but I'm wondering if I can make money off of them like with buying yugioh boxes?

The game has wanted enchantment tokens for some time now. It lets you do a lot of interesting things mechanically that you can't do otherwise. Take this guy:

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Imagine doing that sort of thing, but with enchantment tokens instead of cards.

kirblar

So I just ordered my first fatpack off amazon since it was on sale earlier today. I'm still new to magic but I'm wondering if I can make money off of them like with buying yugioh boxes?
How much was it? Generally they're a bit overpriced but the packaging is nice for newer players to store cards.

Top Bottom