• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

ultron87

Well, considering we didn't get any other announcements on the stream, ill take it.

Also, LSV will be doing coverage (commentary) tommorrow for top 8, which is great. He is so good at it I kinda hope he never gets another top8 so we always get his commentary
Heck yeah LSV commentary.

Though I will have to tape delay some PT results tomorrow since I am running a Pathfinder game and teaching another friend Magic before Game of Thrones.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Zac apparently screwed up and mentioned "Enchantment Tokens" on camera. Felt like Theros was going to be an Enchantment block (due to RTR block/M14 setting up for one) but that pretty much clinches it.

He said it as a joke when they were trying to figure out what someone could play to block a protection from creatures guy. It wasn't a screw up.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I get back to the US for vacation in late June, I plan to overdose on drafts while I'm there. It's been too goddamn long.

So I'm finally catching up on the coverage of the PT (it happened overnight for us here in Australia).

This is painful. They should have banned Sphinx's Revelation in block. I like myself a control mirror, but...damn.

f0rk

I think he means the UW guy where you name a card and they can't cast it but it's cheaper for you.
One card that doesn't really do that much on it's own isn't that good of a deal tbh

zoukka

Aaand so many punts. So rusty with the shitty MTGO interface, missed on abilities multiple times costing me the games... feels bad man.

Fuzzery

Tips for rtr, gtc, dm draft? I've drafted before but it's been a while.

There are a lot of really powerful cards/bombs at higher cost, which leads to people playing towards a "slower" format...but aggro beats still do the trick. Naya (GRW) in particular is very strong. Make sure you pick up the fixing you need, at least 1 or 2 guildgates at least, a keyrune or verdant haven if u can, cluestone if not. A lot of really interesting synergies that can occur in the set as well if you want to explore a little slower deck, for example keymaster rogue or species gorger with azorius arrester/lyev skyknight (stuff that detains on ETB)... corpsejack menace and simic, renegade krasis and rakdos, that sort of thing.

zoukka

And my internet craps out and I miss on my 2nd to 4th pick. It is the wonders of starting out playing again. Such waste of money :D

ferr

Just did a DGM/DGM/DGM draft on MTGO and had the nicest deck I've had in a while- only problem is it's my first time going 3-color in this set. Got mana screwed so bad! Was doing R/W/B with 4-5 gates. Maybe I needed stones as well? Had Tajic staring at me from my hand every game.

zoukka

Last game of the day and I finally won! Almost got mad with all the losses :b

Funny decks in this format. I like it.

9nSzb1I.jpg

Crocodile

Zac apparently screwed up and mentioned "Enchantment Tokens" on camera. Felt like Theros was going to be an Enchantment block (due to RTR block/M14 setting up for one) but that pretty much clinches it.

In reference to what? What was the question (or topic of conversation)?

f0rk

Put this in my Naya deck and my opponent was so afraid to cast any counters with his Dmir deck. By turn 6 I already had 3 tokens with 3/3, 4/4, and 5/5. I love that card.

As robotzombie says the tokens should all have the same stats, it changes dynamically.

An-Det

Lucario

don't get your hopes up about fetches in m14. Usually MaRo is pretty vague, and answers every question with a "maybe/probably/i've been pushing for it."

God that would be amazing, even if it's just the the Onslaught ones. I certainly wouldn't mind having a Standard format with all the duals and at least half the fetches.

It's inevitable, but I actually think Kirblar's original prediction is probably correct: it's an M15 reprint. Three months of them with the Ravnica duals sounds great; a year sounds insane.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It would be pretty crazy if they had a year of standard with fetches, shocks and Deathrite Shaman.

It's already magical christmasland with the mana, fetchlands would at least add some punishment to peoples health totals for it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I got it. How about shock fetch?

Or even more extreme: bolt fetch?

f0rk

It's already magical christmasland with the mana, fetchlands would at least add some punishment to peoples health totals for it.

Deathrite Shaman is already close to oppressive in Modern taking that into Standard as well seems like a mistake.

I got it, how about, shock fetch?

Or even worse, bolt fetch?

That defeats the purpose of reprinting them for Modern.

f0rk

Huh yeah I guess.
I was thinking about what standard control deck to brew post rotation and I was thinking about base black splashing everything which Deathrite would fit in. Hopefully they reprint Mutilate as if Block is representative of anything -X/-X is much better against all the indestructible tricks.

Hero

New art sucks but hopefully this brings the price down from where they are currently.

Also today's dailymtg.com article by MaRo is entirely dedicated to talking about dual lands. While not directly supporting of fetchlands in the next year or so, I do think it's pretty interesting that he waited until now to talk so in length about lands in general.

Crocodile

Oh boy Dark Confidant is a mythic is a limited print run set. AWESOME!

FUCKEVERYTHING :( Though I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect this.

Congrats to ultron87 for getting his card into the second round though it's kind of awkward that his opponent ended up being disqualified. >_>

ultron87

Ha, wow. I feel kind of bad for advancing on a DQ.

Looks like the creator of the other one was from Finland based on a message board post.

rCIZZLE

Are any money cards in MM going to be rare? Thoughtseize is the only potential inclusion that would seem to make a bad choice for mythic. V Clique and the Swords would be locks for mythic.

Top Bottom