• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

bigkrev

Are any money cards in MM going to be rare? Thoughtseize is the only potential inclusion that would seem to make a bad choice for mythic. V Clique and the Swords would be locks for mythic.

Nobel Hierarch
Enginered Explosives
Grove of the Burnwillows
Cryptic Command
Mutavault
Damnation

Are all likely in and not being bumped to Mythic

Are any money cards in MM going to be rare? Thoughtseize is the only potential inclusion that would seem to make a bad choice for mythic. V Clique and the Swords would be locks for mythic.

I actually would be surprised to see the two of the five swords printed. I would expect to see all five in Modern Masters II rather than just two of them in Modern Masters.

Yeef

I figure they'll probably do at least one mythic of each color, then 5 colorless mythics. Hard to say if the last 5 will be multi-color, colorless, lands or just monocolor. In any cases, I foresee something like this for mono-color mythics:

• Elspeth, Knight Errant
  • Vendilion Clique
  • Dark Confidant
  • Kiki-Jiji, Mirror Breaker
  • Tarmagoyf

Kurtofan

feat248a_0_wsm73sw1o4.jpg

Ugly new art

The art is much better.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
goblindiplomatspromo.jpg

Less Goblins more Slivers.

This is an amazing card though.

You ever have a draft that goes terribly wrong, but you throw something together and hope you run good?

I just split an 8-4 (because there was no way I could run this good for a third straight match) with this pile of hot garbage:

ZJYiEVj.png

Yes, I cut the green halfway through the Gatecrash Pack.

Yes, I added it back after picking up a 5th pick Doorkeeper, 6th Pick Gatecreeper Vine in the Return to Ravnica pack when things had totally fallen apart.

Yes, I did kill an opponent by hitting a 9-power creature (jacked up with an Unflinching Courage) with my Grisly Spectacle.

Yes, I did win match 1 with zero seconds on my game clock.

I may have just used up my "run good" for the next month of drafts - lol.

red13th

What's going on with the art direction lately. First those horrendous slivers now what the fuck did they do to Dark Confidant.

Lucario

Wow. The article for Dark Confidant on the mothership just plugged the main competitor to our store. :(

The person who wrote it sounds pretty unpleasant.

He'd be mad if another invitational card was reprinted with its original art because his wasn't? Really?

You can tell he's pissed about it, but wants the tone to sound like WoTC wronged him and he's being cool about it.

y2dvd

goblindiplomatspromo.jpg

Less Goblins more Slivers.

This is an amazing card though.

This is amazing. It doesn't even target, thus you can force GosT to attack earlier than they probably wanted to. There's been plenty of times where GosT is just sittiing out there, waiting for an enchantment.

So I just download MTGO and don't understand it. I bought a draft pack of RTR/GTC/DGM, but don't see any queues for it. Is there anywhere else I'm supposed to go for it or can I only do it when they post it up?

ultron87

So I just download MTGO and don't understand it. I bought a draft pack of RTR/GTC/DGM, but don't see any queues for it. Is there anywhere else I'm supposed to go for it or can I only do it when they post it up?

I think the one you want is in the "Release Queues" room instead of the normal drafting room.

Dark Confidant isn't Dark Confidant unless it's ugly.

Glad they are reprinting them. They are a very reasonable $20-$25 staple, anything more than that is kind of absurd.

The person who wrote it sounds pretty unpleasant.

He'd be mad if another invitational card was reprinted with its original art because his wasn't? Really?

You can tell he's pissed about it, but wants the tone to sound like WoTC wronged him and he's being cool about it.

Yeah, I thought maybe it was the shock of seeing our competitor mentioned in an article that colored my perception so I didn't want to see anything, but Bob Maher comes across as being unreasonably bitter. You've got your card, hell, your the only one who has his name attached to his card (no one calls Shadowmage Infiltrator Jon, or Snapcaster Tiago), and every other card's art has been updated, save for the timeshifted Avalance Riders.

EDIT: I forgot that Shadowmage also was Timeshifted, and also kept it's art, but it seems like every "proper" reprint gets the new art treatment.

bigkrev

Yeah, I thought maybe it was the shock of seeing our competitor mentioned in an article that colored my perception so I didn't want to see anything, but Bob Maher comes across as being unreasonably bitter. You've got your card, hell, your the only one who has his name attached to his card (no one calls Shadowmage Infiltrator Jon, or Snapcaster Tiago), and every other card's art has been updated, save for the timeshifted Avalance Riders.

EDIT: I forgot that Shadowmage also was Timeshifted, and also kept it's art, but it seems like every "proper" reprint gets the new art treatment.

I remember people calling Solemn "Robo Jens" for a while once it was printed, fwiw

Also, there is an alternate art Voidmage, still with Kai on it

I remember people calling Solemn "Robo Jens" for a while once it was printed, fwiw

Also, there is an alternate art Voidmage, still with Kai on it

I've only ever heard Sad Robot, but to be fair, I wasn't playing heavily when those cards persisted in Standard so I'm probably waaaaaay off base here. It does seem like "Bob" is the only nickname that stuck around though.

ultron87

That's a weird templating for an exile effect. I'm guessing that means you can't do the shenanigans where you blink in response to the trigger to exile permanently.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't really see it as "exiling" in the white sense of the word. It's "eating", and blue is known for its aquatic megafauna that likes to gobble stuff up. It's not too far outside the color pie.

JulianImp

It looks like the buy-a-box card for M14 is going to be Ratchet Bomb. For those who don't know the card:

Ratchet Bomb (2)
Artifact
T: Put a charge counter on Ratchet Bomb.
T, Sacrifice Ratchet Bomb: Destroy each nonland permanent with converted mana cost equal to the number of charge counters on Ratchet Bomb.
(Rare)

I like it, as it could help you against many kinds of decks, and it's one of the few non-creature targets Vorel can actualy double counters on.

JulianImp

So besides Ratchet Bomb to auto-hose tokens and provide cheap sweeping potential to control decks, we've got Predator Ooze to seriously threaten Snapcaster Mage and reanimator decks. I... kind of like this.

I've already decided I'm going to buy DotP2014 for my cousin, and I might end up buying a copy for myself so we can play together. Getting two special Predator Oozes would only sweeten the deal, as it's one of those elusive oozes I've been unable to get my hands on due to its low availability and players's general reluctance to trading away any copies they have.

I like collecting oozes since they often have fun and quirky abilities, even though there're a few I already know I won't be getting anytime soon (I'm looking at you, Yule Ooze). The only ones I'm currently missing are Ancient Ooze (Scourge rare), Consumptive Goo (Scourge rare), Earthen Goo (Coldsnap uncommon), Mephitic Ooze (Darksteel rare) and Yule Ooze (holidays 2011 promo).

When I read Mark Rosewater apologized to us players for not delivering an obviously flavorful ooze lord that worked for the Simic combine, I got kind of sad since it could've been a great addition to my collection and probably the first ooze that'd actually work well with others of its kind other than S.N.O.T.

Top Bottom