• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

One reason I don't like the core sets from a standard perspective is that they often feel a risky investment. At least with blocks you know you are getting up to two years use in standard.

Lucario

I just pre-ordered a booster box of Modern Masters for $250. No idea if thats a reasonable price or if it was even worth doing. I haven't been following it very clearly on and only know that goyf, city of brass, and bob are in it.

What are the chances I get a return on my investment if I open the packs?
What is the likelihood of a sealed box being worth double the amount I paid for it in a few years?

Chances of a return on your investment opening packs -- next to zero. It'd be remarkable if over half the rares in the set were worth over a dollar. These preorder prices are ridiculous, and I highly doubt an average opened pack will be worth $10.

Sealed box will likely fetch $500 in a few years.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
One reason I don't like the core sets from a standard perspective is that they often feel a risky investment. At least with blocks you know you are getting up to two years use in standard.

Not to mention that a large chunk of the set is usually reprinting staples so you get lots of duplicates.

With core sets it's always best to just get singles.

Yeah, unless there's like a curve of dragons or whatever, I'm not really feeling the new one. ETB 2 damage to target creature or player? Woah now, that might be too much.

primevalbounty_zps94843e1a.jpg
Well, that's a game changer.

ultron87

Yay, I got one of the last tickets to the Gen Con Modern Masters sealed event. So despite not going to GP Vegas (which was really tempting) I'll get to play that format.

It is really ludicrous that the entry fee of 50 dollars is actually a good deal for six packs.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Chances of a return on your investment opening packs -- next to zero. It'd be remarkable if over half the rares in the set were worth over a dollar. These preorder prices are ridiculous, and I highly doubt an average opened pack will be worth $10.

Sealed box will likely fetch $500 in a few years.

Hard to say but if the print run is as small as stores are claiming it's quite possible. I wonder how large the second run will be.

I've been debating if I should sell my preordered box or not. Coworker is opening his but I think I should just sell and finish buying the remaining legacy/modern staples on my list.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yeah its a tough call. I should keep it sealed. I can only play mtg in the summers, so using cards for competitive play is not an option. I will only be drafting this summer. So just keeping it sealed in a drawer in my parent's home back in the US would be the wise thing to do, selling it off in a couple of years. But I love opening packs and collecting individual cards. I'm a crackhead when it comes to opening boosters.
I still regret opening all those worldwake fatpacks I found at a walmart a year ago. Bought 4 for about 50 bucks each. Now they go for $250. My lack of self control put me out $800.

And thundermaw was amazing. I pulled one at the pre-release and just stomped my way to first place.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
6 mana enchantments rarely end up being playable. It is pretty strong though, so who knows.

Yeah, its in green so you can ramp into it, and the advantage it generates is pretty damn substantial. The tokens and the life mostly, not sure how good the counters are going to be.

joelseph

Yay, I got one of the last tickets to the Gen Con Modern Masters sealed event. So despite not going to GP Vegas (which was really tempting) I'll get to play that format.

It is really ludicrous that the entry fee of 50 dollars is actually a good deal for six packs.

Which one? There were a few if I remember correctly. I got into TCG1347355 Friday @ 3:00pm. I will try and remember to wear neogaf shirts during the con.

ultron87

Which one? There were a few if I remember correctly. I got into TCG1347355 Friday @ 3:00pm. I will try and remember to wear neogaf shirts during the con.

That's the one I'm in as well. The others appear sold out already. Three tickets left for this one. Glad I randomly decided to check the event reg site when I did.

They're also running Ravnica/Return to Ravnica sealed which sounds really fun, but I don't think I can devote myself to taking the time to do 2 sealed events, since they take forrreeeevvveeerrr at the Con.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
6 mana enchantments rarely end up being playable. It is pretty strong though, so who knows.

Most things that are six mana now and are constructed playable are game-enders in themselves. Sire of Insanity, Aethering, can't think of any more. The difference between five mana and six is pretty big. You can ramp by turn 3 into five mana relatively easily, its much rarer to get six unless you have a perfect hand.

Lucario

Hard to say but if the print run is as small as stores are claiming it's quite possible. I wonder how large the second run will be.

I've been debating if I should sell my preordered box or not. Coworker is opening his but I think I should just sell and finish buying the remaining legacy/modern staples on my list.

That's the thing... the print run ISN'T that small.

18 boxes per store from WoTC (some are reporting more, very small stores reporting less). Distributors allocate differently, but I've heard everything from 3 (my LGS, which is usually under 8 people for FNM) to 60+.

That's just the first shipment. There's two.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
That's the thing... the print run ISN'T that small.

18 boxes per store from WoTC (some are reporting more, very small stores reporting less). Distributors allocate differently, but I've heard everything from 3 (my LGS, which is usually under 8 people for FNM) to 60+.

That's just the first shipment. There's two.

Thats still pretty damn small really. At least in comparison.

In the end I feel like we will end up doing a draft with my box though. Might as well get some fun out of it.

joelseph

That's the one I'm in as well. The others appear sold out already. Three tickets left for this one. Glad I randomly decided to check the event reg site when I did.

They're also running Ravnica/Return to Ravnica sealed which sounds really fun, but I don't think I can devote myself to taking the time to do 2 sealed events, since they take forrreeeevvveeerrr at the Con.

MM is the first Magic event I have seen sell out before the start. I plan on doing a few limited but have signed up for mainly learn to paint mini classes and boardgame stuff with my group of friends. When it gets closer we should plan a meetup.

Lucario

Thats still pretty damn small really. At least in comparison.

In the end I feel like we will end up doing a draft with my box though. Might as well get some fun out of it.

In comparison with normal Magic sets, yes. Some smaller stores, however, reported the first shipment equals the first shipment of sets with shortages like M12 and Zendikar -- so it isn't going to be rare enough to warrant $300 box prices.

I think people have unrealistic expectations of what Modern Masters will contain. The prediction lists online are all just giant postings of the most expensive cards in Modern -- this isn't going to happen.

I'd be thrilled if the average rare in the set was worth three or even four bucks -- that'd give us TONS of room to make a profit while drafting, especially on MTGO (where there's going to be an unlimited supply of packs at retail.) ---- in fact, on MTGO, this set is likely to crash the fuck out of certain card prices at that average value! $3 commons/uncommons like Nettle Sentinel and Kitchen Finks can't retain their prices like that.

Box prices will crash to something more reasonable -- 200 to 250 dollars -- upon release, unless people are so excited to draft MM that all the packs end up opened.

kirblar

I think people have unrealistic expectations of what Modern Masters will contain. The prediction lists online are all just giant postings of the most expensive cards in Modern -- this isn't going to happen.
(Pretty sure it is.) :p

But it's going to be based on the state of the format as of like, 9 months 1 year ago, so some more recent skyrockets (Fulminator Mage) will likely be missed.

I fully expect Eventide filterlands, Grove/Horizon Canopy, for example. Thoughtseize will be rare. Damnation will be the second black Mythic.

City of Brass in black-border will likely be expensive. And we can just about count on either Vendillion Clique or Cryptic Command being in (if not both).

(Pretty sure it is.) :p

But it's going to be based on the state of the format as of like, 9 months 1 year ago, so some more recent skyrockets (Fulminator Mage) will likely be missed.

I fully expect Eventide filterlands, Grove/Horizon Canopy, for example. Thoughtseize will be rare. Damnation will be the second black Mythic.

If they really want to blow us away, we'll see filterlands at rare and painlands at common - but I'm probably just dreaming. :)

Damnation makes sense at mythic only because in draft you shouldn't have to play around a black unconditional sweeper. The only question is whether or not that's worth a mythic slot. Wrath of God will be in at rare though, almost certainly.

kirblar

If they really want to blow us away, we'll see filterlands at rare and painlands at common - but I'm probably just dreaming. :)

Damnation makes sense at mythic only because in draft you shouldn't have to play around a black unconditional sweeper. The only question is whether or not that's worth a mythic slot. Wrath of God will be in at rare though, almost certainly.
I'm 99% sure we get the enemy filterlands at rare.

Painlands, along with the Urzalands, have been reprinted a billion times and have adequate supply.

ultron87

MM is the first Magic event I have seen sell out before the start. I plan on doing a few limited but have signed up for mainly learn to paint mini classes and boardgame stuff with my group of friends. When it gets closer we should plan a meetup.

Yeah, most of the other stuff never gets close to full. Though I usually just end up doing side drafts instead of the big events. One of these years I'll have to do the Grand Melee.

We should definitely see if a meet up can happen. I'm sure there will be board game thread people there too.

noquarter

City of Brass in black-border will likely be expensive. And we can just about count on either Vendillion Clique or Cryptic Command being in (if not both).
I'm not sure how expensive we can expect City of Brass to get. There aren't many decks that play it and there are quite a few different copies out there. I'm probably underestimating the demand, but the only people that thus really appeals to are people who don't like to foil and like to have only modern frames. Real pimps would just get the $35 first print or one of the foils.

thetechkid

I got my fatpack today and although I didn't get any Izzit stuff like I wanted, I did manage to get enough to be okay with my Boros deck now. But now that I'm satisfied with that I want to try building another deck and I'm wondering if I can use Liliana of the Dark Realms, Debt to the Deathless, and Teysa Envoy of Ghosts for some sort of deck. I've only made one deck so far and I'm not experienced enough to know if this would be a good idea or not for a fun deck but I'd like some advice on this.

bigkrev

I really hope they keep Dryad Arbor with the old frame. With the normal frame on the FTV version, its way too easy to not realize its anything other than a basic forest when mixed in among lands.

kirblar

I really hope they keep Dryad Arbor with the old frame. With the normal frame on the FTV version, its way too easy to not realize its anything other than a basic forest when mixed in among lands.
I really hope they just flat out make it illegal to keep creatures in your land pile. This has been an issue w/ "hidden" mana dorks as well.

noquarter

I really hope they just flat out make it illegal to keep creatures in your land pile. This has been an issue w/ "hidden" mana dorks as well.
I'm a big offender of this and have been trying to correct myself from doing this as it just seems underhanded. It mainly grew out of bad habits at the "kitchen table".

Although at times I think I'm starting to be too honest to play this game with the way some people play. I always just want to have fun and wouldn't mind winning, but even at FNM people seem to think they are playing for cash.

Also I had a rules question on populate was hoping someone might be able to help me with. If they have a card that populates, do they have to "target" a token, or just copy any token? For example, if they say they are going to copy a beast, am I able to remove it, then the spell fizzles, or do they just go to some other token they have? Pretty sure it is the latter, just want to double check.

Hero

This. I think it's pretty offensive that it's not already illegal to do so.

On another note and this is more personal preference but I absolutely hate it when people play with their lands on top and their other permanents on bottom.

bigkrev

This. I think it's pretty offensive that it's not already illegal to do so.

On another note and this is more personal preference but I absolutely hate it when people play with their lands on top and their other permanents on bottom.

I did this for years- I was taught magic by someone who loved Draw-go, so he always played lands in front because he rarely had anything in play, and thought it was important for his opponent to see how much mana he had untapped.

ultron87

Also I had a rules question on populate was hoping someone might be able to help me with. If they have a card that populates, do they have to "target" a token, or just copy any token? For example, if they say they are going to copy a beast, am I able to remove it, then the spell fizzles, or do they just go to some other token they have? Pretty sure it is the latter, just want to double check.

You choose the token at the time Populate resolves, so the only way it can not do anything is if they have no tokens at all.

Crocodile

Final Two for YMTC is up: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/248d

For the love of all that is true and just, I implore everybody to vote for Blood in the Watering Can. That card has the highest chance in being played in the most formats be it Standard Constructed, Limited, Cube, Casual 60 card decks, EDH and other broader multiplayer formats. Cards like Megrim and Geth's Grimoire have seen little to no use outside of casual 60 cards decks. History has shown these types of cards to be win-more. A vote for "Blood in the Watering Can" is a vote for a card the MOST amount of people can enjoy.

ultron87

Yeah, vote for Blood. Don't vote for something that makes discard even more not fun.

I'm so glad my card got to get stomped in not just one, but two sequential polls. I should've made it not an X spell.

Crocodile

Mindslaver

That's actually a good idea. Perhaps the best one I've heard for that slot. In color and gives you an extra turn of sorts. If Consuming Contract was Demonic Tutor, Mindslaver and one more thing similarly powerful ability at 3-4CMC or less I could get behind it. Unfortunately it wasn't ever going to be that so.......

Top Bottom