• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Yeef

Between Rootbound Defenses, Boros Charm and Ready & Willing, there's plenty of effects to make your tokens indestructible to avoid Ratchet Bomb and other sweepers. Ignoring any new answers they may print in Theros.

It'll be great sideboard tech for sure, but it's not going to make the Selesnya decks completely unplayable or anything.

kirblar

Between Rootbound Defenses, Boros Charm and Ready & Willing, there's plenty of effects to make your tokens indestructible to avoid Ratchet Bomb and other sweepers. Ignoring any new answers they may print in Theros.

It'll be great sideboard tech for sure, but it's not going to make the Selesnya decks completely unplayable or anything.
The populate deck is insane. Although it's just stone dead to Nightshade Peddler, as I discovered this weekend. :(

noquarter

goblindiplomatspromo.jpg

Less Goblins more Slivers.

This is an amazing card though.

I really like this card. Just wish it had some flavor text, since Goblins usually have pretty funny text. I think the art is pretty good for it and hope they start to get back to "fun" looking cards.

Voice is good but I refuse to believe it's $40+ good.

I really like this card. Just wish it had some flavor text, since Goblins usually have pretty funny text. I think the art is pretty good for it and hope they start to get back to "fun" looking cards.

Yeah, the cool blues and greens make for a nice contrast against the red frame. I wish they'd do this more with their artwork, especially for red cards.

Ronabo

Scott M Fischer is a cheap artist now?He's not exactly a Magic newbie either, since he's been doing artworks since Mirage.

I don't know how anyone could prefer the old art except because of nostalgia:

JD1Dsz1l.png

Artist must really like Gary Oldman in the movie The 5th Element.

5thElemernt.jpg

Pretty sweet.

JulianImp

As I've read somewhere else, it would've been even better if it was a Goblin Advisor.

However, what's with the whole "We don't want card names in plural when the card's stats are that of a single creature" (ie: Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves) thing I heard Wizards say every now and then since quite a while ago? This is clearly a single diplomat judging by the stats.

I agree that it could've been given some hilarious flavor text, but what's not to say the regular card has flavor text and it was merely been removed for the full-art version of the card? There's still hope.

Edit @Ronabo: The new Dark Confidant also sort of reminds me of Ghirahim from Skyward Sword, and the art even makes sense in that context, hilariously enough.

kirblar

I figured 4 mana would be too much for legacy, I'm glad that isn't necessarily the case.
Yeah, I picked up a playset of Gaze/Thief today for $10 shipped (for all 8.) Card is good, but its probably not a 4x-er simply due to the nature of its effect.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
>Print narrow card no one expects anyone to use
>Someone uses it to great effect
>Everyone hops on the bandwagon
>Success

kirblar

>Print narrow card no one expects anyone to use
>Someone uses it to great effect
>Everyone hops on the bandwagon
>Success
I actually had a very similar card design in my head for a long time (Enchantment, All players can only draw 1 card per turn, flash) precisely to set up the same sort of "lol brainstorm/jace" situations you see here.

noquarter

I really like Notion Thief and have been trying to figure out a standard deck with him and Sign in Blood type cards. Target them and in response play it. Let them take the life and you just get CA. Not sure what else to do with the deck though...

JulianImp

I really like Notion Thief and have been trying to figure out a standard deck with him and Sign in Blood type cards. Target them and in response play it. Let them take the life and you just get CA. Not sure what else to do with the deck though...

Targeting them with the Sign in Blood and playing the Thief in response isn't any better than simply playing the Thief at their EoT and then casting Sign on your turn, though. Whispering Madness seems like a nice combo, since everyone discards their hand and only you draw cards equal to N times the highest number of cards anyone discarded this way, where N is the number of players in the game, but the 3/1 body is really fragile and quite prone to dying.

I guess it could work as some kind of turbofog deck with Otherworldly Atlas and Vorel to double its counters? It'd still be kind of janky, but I have a soft spot for quirky and sort of janky decks (and non-creature cards I can double counters on with Vorel).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey guys, so my brother has taken up manually editing Magic cards with paint and selling them for $15 bucks a pop to friends and the local card shop. I feel like he could be asking for more and maybe even taking stuff online. What do you guys think?

946810_601206536557612_475651013_n.jpg

969053_601206656557600_1238922914_n.jpg

Jaeyden

I love the new Confidant art. I don't care if people feel nostalgic. The truth is that most if not all the player cards have had shit art. Case in point...my favorite card..my least favorite art.

Image.ashx

Really?

How did this session go?

Artist: Well, what would you like in your picture?
Tiago: Um...I want some armor..yeah, yeah. Uh, I also want a big wand..Yeah,yeah this is awesome. Oh!! How about a gun...NO,NO..a Mana Gun!!!! Yeah...lol heee,hee and a dragon head behind me...Wooohoo. Wait!!! I need a fucking monocle..YES. Please give me a fucking monocle.
Artist: OK..sigh

Edit: What is this? My dreams come true.
SnapcasterMage.png

kirblar

Hey guys, so my brother has taken up manually editing Magic cards with paint and selling them for $15 bucks a pop to friends and the local card shop. I feel like he could be asking for more and maybe even taking stuff online. What do you guys think?

He should be asking for a lot more.

joelseph

Is there a way to go back and screenshot a draft deck? I forgot to take a pic during sideboard and want to show it off.

Gruul War Chant is crazy. Was passed that and Varolz with a bunch of bloodrush and scavenge dudes. So fun.

noquarter

Targeting them with the Sign in Blood and playing the Thief in response isn't any better than simply playing the Thief at their EoT and then casting Sign on your turn, though. Whispering Madness seems like a nice combo, since everyone discards their hand and only you draw cards equal to N times the highest number of cards anyone discarded this way, where N is the number of players in the game, but the 3/1 body is really fragile and quite prone to dying.

I guess it could work as some kind of turbofog deck with Otherworldly Atlas and Vorel to double its counters? It'd still be kind of janky, but I have a soft spot for quirky and sort of janky decks (and non-creature cards I can double counters on with Vorel).

I know the timing doesn't have to be just like that, but just making that play is what I want to happen. Wish stuff like Faithless Looting was target player as well, give me good reason to splash some red.

$15 for friends and such sounds about right, maybe a little more. One of the guys on MTGSalvation that does really good alters charges $20 for borderless and $5-10 more for full art (paints over the text box as well). I really want to finish one of my EDH decks, but don't have the time or cash right now.
my draft cube! finally got it on deckbox.

http://deckbox.org/sets/295167?v=v
Cube looks pretty fun, once again haven't had time to finish mine, but have a spreadsheet with everything I plan on putting in there on Google Drive. Hope to finish it within the next year, but getting the Power is taking time.

It's very nice work, the price is about right, the guy I use does them for $12 and I always felt that was low, I typically paypal him a $20 per alter instead. Most prices online that I've seen are in the $15-$18 range. I really only alter my generals, so far I have an altered Azusa, Hanna, and Zur. Still need to get Grand Arbiter done.

Kurtofan

I love the new Confidant art. I don't care if people feel nostalgic. The truth is that most if not all the player cards have had shit art. Case in point...my favorite card..my least favorite art.

Image.ashx

Really?

How did this session go?

Artist: Well, what would you like in your picture?
Tiago: Um...I want some armor..yeah, yeah. Uh, I also want a big wand..Yeah,yeah this is awesome. Oh!! How about a gun...NO,NO..a Mana Gun!!!! Yeah...lol heee,hee and a dragon head behind me...Wooohoo. Wait!!! I need a fucking monocle..YES. Please give me a fucking monocle.
Artist: OK..sigh
]

Actually it was already like that except for the face and monocle:

y6IK9Ubl.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I just pre-ordered a booster box of Modern Masters for $250. No idea if thats a reasonable price or if it was even worth doing. I haven't been following it very clearly on and only know that goyf, city of brass, and bob are in it.

What are the chances I get a return on my investment if I open the packs?
What is the likelihood of a sealed box being worth double the amount I paid for it in a few years?

rCIZZLE

So what are the rest of you guys thinking of doing with your boxes of MM? Several people in my play group decided to do a draft once a week with some money added in to pay for a booster box of RTR for the winner. All of the MM cards will just be returned to the box owner so there's no tainted drafts where people take the money cards like would happen if we drafted at the shop. So far we have around 6 boxes between us so it'll last about half of summer. Definitely looking forward to release.

I just pre-ordered a booster box of Modern Masters for $250. No idea if thats a reasonable price or if it was even worth doing. I haven't been following it very clearly on and only know that goyf, city of brass, and bob are in it.

What is the likelihood of a sealed box being worth double the amount I paid for it in a few years?

Unless they start dumping in bad rares like pain lands then you should be fine. ~$10 per pack is not unreasonable considering the guaranteed foil, uncommon staples, and potential money rares you'll be getting.

zoukka

Is it a limited print? If yes, it should at least sustain its value as sealed. If not, the cards will slowly get less rare and go down in prices.

turnbuckle

Those are fantastic. I'm not a good judge of price for anything, but $15 seems like a very very very generous price to sell to local friends and they'd definitely command a higher price than that.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is there a way to go back and screenshot a draft deck? I forgot to take a pic during sideboard and want to show it off.

Gruul War Chant is crazy. Was passed that and Varolz with a bunch of bloodrush and scavenge dudes. So fun.

Go into the deck editor and hit load then select the "Tournament" folder, all your draft decks should be stored there.

If MTGSalvation is correct, it looks like Thundermaw Hellkite was a one-year-only mythic (they just spoiled another red mythic dragon - which is decidedly less impressive by comparison).

Top Bottom