• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also I think the Indestructible change was a good one. If you had asked me beforehand I would have been sure that Ovinize would make a creature destructible as well.

ultron87

I pretty much like the rules except for how it makes Thrun and Geist harder to kill.

Spending a Planeswalker's mana cost and a card just to get one extra activation doesn't sound that overpowered really. It generally will mean you aren't playing something else on that turn.

Hi MTGaffers, I'd really like to get into MTG but the cost of collecting cards seems like a very expensive hobby to start for a cheapskate such as myself?

I imagine I would be disadvantaged with my £25 starter deck against someone who has spent hundreds on his deck? Friday nights appeal to me, but I guess it would be a case of accepting I'd be losing almost every game? Seems to me that it's more about who has better (more expensive) rare/mythic cards than skill, i.e pay to win? I like the idea of booster drafts as it seems more 'fair'.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Hi MTGaffers, I'd really like to get into MTG but the cost of collecting cards seems like a very expensive hobby to start for a cheapskate such as myself?

I imagine I would be disadvantaged with my starter £25 deck against someone who has spent hundreds on his deck? I like the idea of booster drafts as it seems more 'fair'. The idea of social Friday nights appeal to me, but I guess it would be a case of accepting I'd be losing almost every game?

Yea if you're not willing to spend money, this is not the hobby for you. Drafting is certainly the most 'fair' but that can add up in cost very quickly as well.

The Technomancer

I imagine I would be disadvantaged with my starter £25 deck against someone who has spent hundreds on his deck? I like the idea of booster drafts as it seems more 'fair'. The idea of social Friday nights appeal to me, but I guess it would be a case of accepting I'd be losing almost every game?

Initially you'll probably do poorly in drafts yeah, although there are some articles and such we can point you to that will give you some preparation. But if you get into it you can improve pretty quickly.

f0rk

attachment.php

Not really a Modern staple but it's at least a known card

Yeah, I'm not sure if I should even get into MTG as I have an almost pathological problem of feeling guilty for spending money!

I'm moving to London soon and would really like to join a MTG club there, nice to meet people too. I'll try it and see, nothing to lose I suppose :)

From a flavor standpoint, I'm not that bothered by the new legend rules. It's just like Street Fighter when 2 people pick Ryu. There might be some clumsy explanations about imposters or what not, but at the end of the day, there's never going to be a good flavorful solution that doesn't also wreck gameplay.

bigkrev

I'm very unhappy with Tooth and Nail. It's a EDH card in a set that was marketd to be "for tournament players" with increased MSRP and limited availability to dissuade casual players from buying in. FTV already exists for the EDH market, a card like this has no place in this set.

kirblar

I'm very unhappy with Tooth and Nail. It's a EDH card in a set that was marketd to be "for tournament players" with increased MSRP and limited availability to dissuade casual players from buying in. FTV already exists for the EDH market, a card like this has no place in this set.
You're going to love Doubling Season at Mythic, then.

This set's for everyone.

JulianImp

It did work as the cornerstone of a very relevant deck back when it was standard-legal, though.

It's a fairly good card. You honestly can't expect Wizards to only print cards which are currently being used in relevant Modern decks and are sought after, and it's not like printing Tooth and Nail is anything like the second coming of Squire. I believe MM has to have rares that aren't exactly the cream of the crop in it, because current sets are always printed with limited play in mind, and that requires that not all cards are Dark Confidant-good.

Tooth and Nail is a good bomby-card for limited while helping ensure the packs maintain their value. Better this than jank, and it makes it easier for people to nab a copy or two for their EDH decks, which I support.

rCIZZLE

Looks like there's been a bunch of MM spoilers today here.

Ryusei at mythic is the first big LOL of this spoiler season.

warning: source of spoiler is suspect. there's a thread on mtgsalvation but no credible source yet.

f0rk

Rares are all pretty good.
Vivid Lands
Finks + Path to Exile are no brainers so it's good they haven't missed them. Narcomeba is a combo piece for a banned combo right?
All the commons are relevant except Echoing Courage.

Good start I'd say, if it's true. Knight of the Reliquary at Rare instead of Mythic might be a little suspect.

I'm a little confused on what this would do. Does it just not have the counters on it when you copy it?

That's correct. Unless I'm missing something though, you would be able to stifle the trigger to put the 20/20 into play, so it's not unstifleable. Also, the only way to do this on turn 3 without accelerants is for your 3rd land to be Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth (which makes sense to play, since you're probably also playing Vampire Hexmage).

JulianImp

warning: source of spoiler is suspect. there's a thread on mtgsalvation but no credible source yet.

If Echoing Truth and Courage are in, I'd probably expect to see the rest of the cycle as well. None of the cards strike me as crazy or out of place except for Ryusei, the worst one of the the Kamigawa dragon cycle, which was even printed as the prerelease card.

If this is true, does it mean every color gets two mythics? If that's the case, then we are probably not going to see any mythic gold, artifact and/or lands cards unless MM is slightly larger than the average small set, which always have 10 mythics in them.

OnPoint

So with the new rule, using the Thespian's Stage/Dark Depths combo, I want to build a Legacy deck that uses it. Quick sketch that needs a lot more here.

Spells
4 Crop Rotation (Should help search out a land)
4 Summer Bloom (Could get the combo off turn 2 with the right hand)
4 Explore (Helps enable, card draw)
4 Life from the Loam (Lands will likely end up in the graveyard)
4 Mulch (Not sure about this one, but we're looking for lands more than anything)
4 Ancient Stirrings (Again, filter for lands)
4 Avoid Fate or Guttural Response (Protection in case an exile effect takes your token or Stifle rears its head)

Artifact
2 Crucible of Worlds (Brings back sac'd lands, i.e. Depths)

Lands
4 Thespian's Stage
4 Dark Depths
4 Ancient Tomb
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Wasteland
X Forest
X Fetchlands

Ideas?

The Technomancer

Rares are all pretty good.
Vivid Lands
Finks + Path to Exile are no brainers so it's good they haven't missed them. Narcomeba is a combo piece for a banned combo right?
All the commons are relevant except Echoing Courage.
Are tokens likely to be a thing? Echoing Courage is great for tokens.

JulianImp

So with the new rule, using the Thespian's Stage/Dark Depths combo, I want to build a Legacy deck that uses it. Quick sketch that needs a lot more here.

Spells
4 Crop Rotation (Should help search out a land)
4 Summer Bloom (Could get the combo off turn 2 with the right hand)
4 Explore (Helps enable, card draw)
4 Life from the Loam (Lands will likely end up in the graveyard)
4 Mulch (Not sure about this one, but we're looking for lands more than anything)
4 Ancient Stirrings (Again, filter for lands)
4 Avoid Fate or Guttural Response (Protection in case an exile effect takes your token or Stifle rears its head)

Artifact
2 Crucible of Worlds (Brings back sac'd lands, i.e. Depths)

Lands
4 Thespian's Stage
4 Dark Depths
4 Ancient Tomb
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Wasteland
X Forest
X Fetchlands

Ideas?

I didn't get that you'd have to sacrifice both the Depths and Stage to make this combo work until now (I thought Depths wasn't legendary), and this makes it seem sort of like all-in red, only you have to lose two lands to get your beater (the Stage to its ice counters ability, and the Depths to the legend rule so the intervening if clause on the Stage-Depths manages to resolve and get you the token).

You could also pack some Dark Confidants in there since your mana curve is so low.

The Technomancer

I didn't get that you'd have to sacrifice both the Depths and Stage to make this combo work until now (I thought Depths wasn't legendary), and this makes it seem sort of like all-in red, only you have to lose two lands to get your beater (the Stage to its ice counters ability, and the Depths to the legend rule so the intervening if clause on the Stage-Depths manages to resolve and get you the token).

You could also pack some Dark Confidants in there since your mana curve is so low.

Why do you have to sacrifice the original Depths? Oh, I guess the Legend rule check happens before the counter check?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So in Legacy, two JTMS can be in play at once, on opposite boards. Two Jittes. Two Ermakul.

This is terrible.

It really is. Why would they even think this is a good idea? JtMS is now even better? The Legend rule was a fantastic balance to super-powered cards. Now, it's just lay your shit down and it's whatever.

ultron87

It really is. Why would they even think this is a good idea? JtMS is now even better? The Legend rule was a fantastic balance to super-powered cards. Now, it's just lay your shit down and it's whatever.

I don't know if going from "oh no both our Jaces are dead but I got more activations than you" to "now we both have Jaces" is really an upgrade for the card. Unless people are rampantly running Little Jace to kill JTMS in some format I'm not aware of.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't know if going from "oh no both our Jaces are dead but I got more activations than you" to "now we both have Jaces" is really an upgrade for the card. Unless people are rampantly running Little Jace to kill JTMS in some format I'm not aware of.

I've seen a ton of JTMS being played largely to remove a JTMS across the way on SCG streams. Not sure if that's indicative of much, but we don't even need to go to Legacy. Right now, Geist just got about 5x more powerful than it was yesterday.

ultron87

I've seen a ton of JTMS being played largely to remove a JTMS across the way on SCG streams. Not sure if that's indicative of much, but we don't even need to go to Legacy. Right now, Geist just got about 5x more powerful than it was yesterday.

Well any time someone would have played a Jace to kill a Jace with the new rules they now just also have a Jace, which seems pretty sweet for them. And if both players played him on Turn 4 previously the player on the play would be up a Brainstorm. With the new rules they're pretty much even.

But yeah, I definitely agree that it seems bad in regards to existing Hexproof legendaries.

I really don't see how Legends and Planeswalkers are going to be that much stronger with the new rule. It will shift the dynamic of the game, but I don't think they'll be any more oppressive than they already are.

I do think, however, that they should be a little less generous now with Hexproofing Legends.

The Technomancer

I really don't see how Legends and Planeswalkers are going to be that much stronger with the new rule. It will shift the dynamic of the game, but I don't think they'll be any more oppressive than they already are.

I do think, however, that they should be a little less generous now with Hexproofing Legends.

I think they regret quite a bit about Hexproof. They're probably looking forward to Geist rotating just as much as we are

JulianImp

I think they regret quite a bit about Hexproof. They're probably looking forward to Geist rotating just as much as we are

I'd say they're waiting for a whole host of Innistrad cards to rotate. Besides the Geist, there's Restoration Angel, Snapcaster Mage, Unburial Rites (obsoletes every other reanimation spell that ins't Obzedat's Aid), Delver of Secrets (so they can startt printing library manipulation cards again, I guess), Lingering Souls, Falkenrath Aristocrat and Hellrider.

As far as less played cards that'd still open up some design space upon rotation go, there's stuff such as Dissipate, Pillar of Flame, Bonfire of the Damned (it's funny how it used to be an all-star shortly after AVR's release, but sees absolutely no play nowadays), Strangleroot Geist, Gravecrawler and Geralf's Messenger.

I'd say they're waiting for a whole host of Innistrad cards to rotate. Besides the Geist, there's Restoration Angel, Snapcaster Mage, Unburial Rites (obsoletes every other reanimation spell that ins't Obzedat's Aid), Delver of Secrets (so they can startt printing library manipulation cards again, I guess), Lingering Souls, Falkenrath Aristocrat and Hellrider.

As far as less played cards that'd still open up some design space upon rotation go, there's stuff such as Dissipate, Pillar of Flame, Bonfire of the Damned (it's funny how it used to be an all-star shortly after AVR's release, but sees absolutely no play nowadays), Strangleroot Geist, Gravecrawler and Geralf's Messenger.

Bonfire is a straight up staple in Jund, arguably one of the 2 best decks in standard.

Yeef

If this is true, does it mean every color gets two mythics? If that's the case, then we are probably not going to see any mythic gold, artifact and/or lands cards unless MM is slightly larger than the average small set, which always have 10 mythics in them.
Modern Masters is a large set (229 cards). It'll have 15 mythics and 53 rares.

JulianImp

Bonfire is a straight up staple in Jund, arguably one of the 2 best decks in standard.

It seems like my LGS's metagame is really different from the real one, then. I just hadn't heard much about it and thought Bonfire died out in popularity due to Boros Reckoner and wasn't played nearly as much anymore.

I'm happy for my LGS, though, since I like how our metagame has a very wide range of decks that do relatively well. I'm looking forward to June, when the store owner will be running mostly RTR block FNMs, so we'll have to get inventive with the decks and card choices.

@Yeef: Oh... I guess that explains the ten monocolored mythic slots. It also seems they don't care about completing cycles (since green has no open slots left for Jugan), so we might get one or two artifacts and the remainig mythics as gold cards.

WOWTCG has had this uniqueness rule for a very long time, and the per-card power on permanents in that game is generally much higher per resource spent than in MTG. This rule change really wouldn't be too much of a problem.

If you want to run depths in Legacy look to one of the older Junk lists with Living Wish or a BUG control list that uses an Intuition pile to assemble all parts of the combo that can also just win with Jace, The Mind Sculptor.

JulianImp

WOWTCG has had this uniqueness rule for a very long time, and the per-card power on permanents in that game is generally much higher per resource spent than in MTG. This rule change really wouldn't be too much of a problem.

If you want to run depths in Legacy look to one of the older Junk lists with Living Wish or a BUG control list that uses an Intuition pile to assemble all parts of the combo that can also just win with Jace, The Mind Sculptor.

I think a Modern deck would be probably weaker but morel viable due to Legacy being really different from Modern (I don't have much experience with eternal formats, so I could be wrong abotu it). Sylvan Scrying and Expedition Map could be viable cards you could use to search for Depths and Stages (they're nowhere near Crop Rotation and Living Wish in the versatility and power departments, though).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I think a Modern deck would be probably weaker but morel viable due to Legacy being really different from Modern (I don't have much experience with eternal formats, so I could be wrong abotu it). Sylvan Scrying and Expedition Map could be viable cards you could use to search for Depths and Stages (they're nowhere near Crop Rotation and Living Wish in the versatility and power departments, though).

Dark Depths is banned in Modern.

OnPoint

I guess I would have to include a Hexmage in the deck just because it's Dark Depths. But it being a 'walker killer is huge. Makes sense really.

JulianImp

Hexmage still had utility as a Walker-killer so they banned the card that was more likely to go on and become part of another combo.

I think I remember the ban happened around the time ThopterFoundry got the axe as well (some players were running HexDepths and ThopterFoundry in the same deck to great effect, I believe), but I never played against the deck. Was Marit Lage really that hard to stop?

This was back when we had Extended. You were running black already and if you were worried about Path to Exile or similar removal, you could just check if the coast was clear with something like Thoughtseize.

Top Bottom