• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

I think I remember the ban happened around the time ThopterFoundry got the axe as well (some players were running HexDepths and ThopterFoundry in the same deck to great effect, I believe), but I never played against the deck. Was Marit Lage really that hard to stop?

You could Path it, but you were on a one, maybe two turn clock to come with some kind of answer (assuming it didn't get Thoughtseize'd or something).

An-Det

I think I remember the ban happened around the time ThopterFoundry got the axe as well (some players were running HexDepths and ThopterFoundry in the same deck to great effect, I believe), but I never played against the deck. Was Marit Lage really that hard to stop?

It was pretty fantastic. God I loved that deck.

JulianImp

It was pretty fantastic. God I loved that deck.

I was playing ThopterFoundry by itself before the deck got merged with HexDepths, and it was a farily fun deck to play (at least it was a lot better than my previous Extended deck, Eggs... FFS, that deck was only fun the first two times I used it).

kirblar

Yes it was. Remember, StP isn't in the format.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
We need to make a thread for every set and then have all our discussion there.

Haly

Modern Masters |OT| of "Wait, Emrakul does WHAT?"

ajf009

Where... where am i??

4911837672_9088a96f3c_z.jpg

Haly

Which begs the question, can you hug someone with protection from creatures?

Haly

New threads for new news still applies, but I think we'd prefer if new threads weren't made purely to move a community back outside Community. Y'know? :p

I meant just for a while before interest in MM dies down.

ultron87

I guess I missed the secret message in the DM guild gates getting solved:
"Unless the maze is run and the Guildpact reborn."
Spoilered because it might be spoilers for that The Secretist novella? Anyone reading that? Any good?

zoukka

Won two previous DGR events and in the finals of the third! Yesterdays deck was amazingly bad "bombs.dec" so I ended splitting with the other finalist. Today I drafted a Naya aggro pile that seems to wreck shit if the manas work. Only one gate and no stones...

Starting to like MTGO!

Aaaand I win after a nailbiting 2 round. Dem packs be mine!

Well, that's the sixth DGR draft I've done so far, and I've had as mixed of success as you could ask for! In six drafts, I've gone made the finals twice (splitting both times), made the second round twice, and gone out in the first round twice. I guess that's basically straight up average, and I can't really complain too much. It really is a fantastic format though.

The one I just finished was particularly painful. I'm on Gruul, with some pretty sweet stuff (War Chant, Armed // Dangerous, a white splash for Collective Blessing). My Izzet opponent has nothing but two Nivix Cyclops out; I have a couple of random 2 drops. I've drawn all of my combat spells, and none of my good creatures so far. My War Chant got countered the turn before.

He's tapped low; 1 blue, 2 red up. Is there something I should be afraid of? I don't think so. He's at 18; he wouldn't have kept up the mana for his tricks because he wouldn't be expecting to die here. So I Act of Treason a Cyclops, Mugging the other, and cast Armed on the Cyclops. That's an 8/8 double striker, plus two 2-power attackers I had already. That's 20 damage.

He overloads Downsize. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. I guess I should have played around that? Or was it better to just go for it on the assumption that he wasn't prepared?

Out of resources, I die easily as he decides to cast all manner of shitty sorceries and ride his Cyclops to victory. Game 2 I flood out, and he casually takes me from 20 to 0 with a Hypersonic Dragon since I can't cast anything.

zoukka

Winning streak over, lost to a godawful mill deck thanks to him milling anything non-land I had. Dude had exiled 10 lands with his broker too couldn't kill it no matter how hard I tried :D

Fuuuu it's always the worst when you lose to a shitty deck.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Winning streak over, lost to a godawful mill deck thanks to him milling anything non-land I had. Dude had exiled 10 lands with his broker too couldn't kill it no matter how hard I tried :D

I got to notion thief someone's broker, that was a feel good moment. Felt even better the next turn when he didn't realize that the notion thiefs effect stays around for as long as the thief does and gave me a second card.

You'll find yourself on the other side of that too sometimes though. One of my 2-0-1 decks from earlier this week was exactly what you're talking about:

Sometimes you have one of those drafts where the draft portion just fell completely apart, you scrape together what's left, somehow you always draw all of your colors and always have the right answer at the right time, and take it down. And sometimes you have a great Orzhov deck with Blood Barons and Tithe Drinkers and your opponent somehow always rips every answer they need and you go down in match one (which is what happened to me on two days ago, and something similar happened earlier today).

Learning to accept variance in draft has been really, really hard for me to come to grips with. Ultimately, I try to judge my draft success on two things: did I draft the correct deck based on what the packs told me to draft, and did I play my games correctly. Sometimes you do everything right and lose; sometimes you make major screw-ups and still win.

OnPoint

Being moved to community somehow feels like we lost. But it's ok I guess, so long as we can continue.

I'm working on a real nasty standard deck, as soon as it's built I'll post a list to see what you guys think. I also have a cool Blue/Green Flash/Draw-Go deck I've been toying with. The only problem is it gets straight run over by aggro, which really sucks.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Being moved to community somehow feels like we lost. But it's ok I guess, so long as we can continue.

I'm working on a real nasty standard deck, as soon as it's built I'll post a list to see what you guys think. I also have a cool Blue/Green Flash/Draw-Go deck I've been toying with. The only problem is it gets straight run over by aggro, which really sucks.

I have a great Bant deck that is desperate need of a couple more Voices. That card isn't as good as advertised, but it's really good against aggro.

Plasm Capture sucks, btw. I lived the dream with it twice, but both times it was like "Well, what do I do with the excess mana?"

What do y'all think of Sire/Master of Cruelties in Jund post Olivia and Aristocrats rotation?

joelseph

I was infinite in release queues until I started chasing rares in triple DGM. That is some weird shit to draft. At least I pulled and sold a VoR during my downward spiral!

OnPoint

I have a great Bant deck that is desperate need of a couple more Voices. That card isn't as good as advertised, but it's really good against aggro.

Plasm Capture sucks, btw. I lived the dream with it twice, but both times it was like "Well, what do I do with the excess mana?"

What do y'all think of Sire/Master of Cruelties in Jund post Olivia and Aristocrats rotation?

I have a playset of Plasm Captures and refuse to put them in my Flash deck, so that should tell you where I landed on that card. It's just not easy enough to cast. Rewind does a similar trick in my deck and isn't as tough to pull off.

I love the idea of Sire and Master in a deck. I still think putting Master in a deck with Artful Dodge is an awesome idea, especially because it has flashback. It's just a shame Staticaster doesn't target players.

I was infinite in release queues until I started chasing rares in triple DGM. That is some weird shit to draft. At least I pulled and sold a VoR during my downward spiral!

I've avoided that like the plague. Although it might be better EV to draft triple DGM than to sell my DGM packs considering how little the bots pay for them right now - lol.

I've had some great pulls though, so far. Angel of Serenity is the highlight, but I've pulled a lot of valuable stuff. Even with mediocre performance in the drafts, I've turned a decent profit drafting DGM so far.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea there isn't really anything to do with the mana in Standard, and so many decks these days are hyper agro decks full of 1 - 3 drops so often you get no good opportunites to use it.

If my theory about Theros is right (that it's full of giant Greek God creatures that are eldrazi like in power/mana cost) then Plasm Capture might get a lot better.

I have about $50 in credit from my Legacy win left. I was thinking about picking up 2 more Misdirections, but not sure it's really worth it (as its only really good against black)

I'm trying to finish U/W miracles. Any suggestions?

OnPoint

Yea there isn't really anything to do with the mana in Standard, and so many decks these days are hyper agro decks full of 1 - 3 drops so often you get no good opportunites to use it.

If my theory about Theros is right (that it's full of giant Greek God creatures that are eldrazi like in power/mana cost) then Plasm Capture might get a lot better.

I am really, REALLY looking forward to new, giant and powerful creatures. I'm just imagining what they can do in this space, and it's exciting, but I wonder if the obvious ideas have been done. Zeus-style god throwing lightning bolts = Inferno Titan. Poseidon-style god tapping things down = Frost Titan. Ares-style god doubling combat or granting double-strike to an army = Aurellia or unexciting. They need to really impact the board when they land. I have faith in them, but I guess I just don't know how powerful they want them to be.

kirblar

I have about $50 in credit from my Legacy win left. I was thinking about picking up 2 more Misdirections, but not sure it's really worth it (as its only really good against black)

I'm trying to finish U/W miracles. Any suggestions?
If they have City of Traitors, it's on the reserved list (and I recently picked up a set for myself using my SCG credit.)

Won a 2-2-2 DGM Sealed tourney at work. Probably the best limited deck I've ever built. Don't have the cards handy to give a complete decklist, but this is pretty close to the full list anyway...

Beck // Call <--- cast this fused far more frequently than I expected to
Jerenn Sphinx
Species Gorger
2x Deputy of Acquittals <------ no joke, these guys were the reason I won. Full stop.
Down // Dirty
Far // Away
Eyes in the Skies
Golgari Decoy
Ivy Street Denizen
Drudge Beetle
Golgari Charm
Selesnya Charm
Simic Charm
Cyclonic Rift
Courser's Accord
Knight of Obligation
Basilica Guards
Axebane Guardian
Cloudfin Raptop
Simic Fluxmage
Sluiceway Scorpion

If they have City of Traitors, it's on the reserved list (and I recently picked up a set for myself using my SCG credit.)

I am a big fan of that land, but I don't have any of the cards that would use those lands.

Investing in lands is always a good thing. Pretty hard to argue that

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
Can you guys help me break down a deck? I've always liked Eldrazi, sorry, and Emracool is one of my favorite cards for presence alone. But I'd like to try analyzing this deck to see what makes it so good:

Eldrazi Green Tron

I'll wait to post about it till I get some feedback, since I don't know what I'm talking about.

Can you guys help me break down a deck? I've always liked Eldrazi, sorry, and Emracool is one of my favorite cards for presence alone. But I'd like to try analyzing this deck to see what makes it so good:

Eldrazi Green Tron

I'll wait to post about it till I get some feedback, since I don't know what I'm talking about.

I run a deck similar to this, only it red/blue. The blue is for card drawing, library manipulation, and Gifts Ungiven, and the red is for sweepers and Through the Breach.

All Tron decks essentially race to get the 3 Urza lands out as quickly as possible, and green typically has the best cards for getting there with stuff like Sylvan Scrying and Explore. Also, Ancient Stirrings is awesome since it can nab either a land, Karn, or Eldrazi. The deck can reliably get Karn going by Turn 3, which is difficult for most decks to deal with.

kirblar

4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower.
4 Expedition Map
4 Ancient Stirrings

That's what make the deck work- it plays the lands to cheat its mana.

Top Bottom