• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower.
4 Expedition Map
4 Ancient Stirrings

That's what make the deck work- it plays the lands to cheat its mana.

I run a deck similar to this, only it red/blue. The blue is for card drawing, library manipulation, and Gifts Ungiven, and the red is for sweepers and Through the Breach.

All Tron decks essentially race to get the 3 Urza lands out as quickly as possible, and green typically has the best cards for getting there with stuff like Sylvan Scrying and Explore. Also, Ancient Stirrings is awesome since it can nab either a land, Karn, or Eldrazi. The deck can reliably get Karn going by Turn 3, which is difficult for most decks to deal with.

Okay, that's kind of what I figured. I noticed those and figured that was a key component. I was more concerned about which of the creatures wins the game. Is Karn really important enough to run 4 of?

Xtars

So what are you guys playing on gameday this w/e?

Myself i'm going with a R/G aggro deck consisting of

Arbor Elf
Experiment One
Strangleroot Geist
Burning-Tree Emissary
Flinthoof Boar
Gyre Sage
Domri Rade
Hellrider
Thudermaw Hellkite

Then some other neat stuff(Skullcracks, Gruul Charm etc etc)

So Bitterblossom is at more or less an all-time low on MTGO right now (within a few cents according to Goldfish). I know it's not legal in Modern, and not really played anywhere else, but I'm seriously considering picking up a set. It's almost inevitably getting unbanned, right?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So Bitterblossom is at more or less an all-time low on MTGO right now (within a few cents according to Goldfish). I know it's not legal in Modern, and not really played anywhere else, but I'm seriously considering picking up a set. It's almost inevitably getting unbanned, right?

Plus it's fun in casual play. I think I still have a faeries deck kicking around from my kitchen table only days of like, 15 months ago. :p

Not a lot of casual play on mtgo though. But yea an unban seems likely.

Yeah, I'd almost exclusively be picking it up to either play Faeries when it gets unbanned, or just sell it. I have a couple of Cliques and Cryptics already on MTGO (they're very much at a low point right now, likely in anticipation of Modern Masters), so if Faeries did come back I'd have a lot of the core of the deck.

Also, even if they don't unban it, that card fluctuates wildly in price anyway, so it could be a decent spec target anyway.

The trouble is I've really budgeted my next block of spending money to finish building Scapeshift and draft Modern Masters. :)

OnPoint

Dark Depths up from $20 on SSG to $30 freakin bucks. I finished off my playset in response on Ebay for like 22 a piece. Only needed 2. I hate this game sometimes.

kirblar

Dark Depths up from $20 on SSG to $30 freakin bucks. I finished off my playset in response on Ebay for like 22 a piece. Only needed 2. I hate this game sometimes.
Yeah, I almost grabbed a set at $60 that night, but it was like... am I ever going to play this deck? (answer: no.)

I bought a Karakas instead.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm more disappointed that they didn't go with Arbor Elf again, I mean shocks don't cycle out until post M15 so they would have been nice.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Can not believe that I am being stupid and reserved two boxes of MM

One of my friends bought 10 fucking boxes!

He plans to draft with 2 of them, open 3, and save the other 5 unopened. Although it doesn't really surprise me, he has an insane collection of both cards and sealed product. I wouldn't be surprised if the value was $50,000 or more.

WanderingWind

You guys. I pulled off the Nivix Cyclops win! Hidden Strings and Burn to the face, swingin and Syncopate his Victim of Night - in the last match. The round before I won on a Dragonshifted cyclops.

Jankiest match win ever (against junk...lol)

WanderingWind

Okay, let me preface. This is not going to win a tournament, ever. But if you want a standard deck that's a hell of a lot of fun to play, try this bad boy on for size. Delver is relevant again! Kinda!

Yes, those Guildgates need to be Steam Vents. I never play Izzet, so I'm lacking 2 of 'em. Anybody want to trade for a Temple Garden, lemme know.

TxkqqnKl.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Okay, let me preface. This is not going to win a tournament, ever. But if you want a standard deck that's a hell of a lot of fun to play, try this bad boy on for size. Delver is relevant again! Kinda!

Yes, those Guildgates need to be Steam Vents. I never play Izzet, so I'm lacking 2 of 'em. Anybody want to trade for a Temple Garden, lemme know.

TxkqqnKl.jpg

You want to make delver relevant again? The secret is to play bant.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Flip your delver off of creatures you say? Don't mind if I do.

Well, I'm out of GTC and RTR packs now. :( I drafted this:

The split cards are Far // Away and Profit // Loss. Not the best deck ever, but solid creatures, decent removal, and a Pack Rat! It has a Pack Rat! I can't lose, right?

I lose the first match to the most nuts Boros deck I've ever seen. He has an insane curve, and I'm never able to successfully block his creatures because he always has a combat trick. It was insane. I opened game one with Runner's Bane, Far // Away, Deputy of Acquittals, Cluestone, and all three of my colors, and drew into Hussar Patrol, Skymark Roc, Doorkeeper, and Armory Guard. Sounds fantastic! None of my creatures survived combat until I stabilized at 2 life with an active Pack Rat army - before losing to a Skynight Legionnaire three turns later. Every single combat step had some sort of trick from him - it was completely ridiculous. (EDIT: I just went back and checked - he didn't lose a single game in the entire tournament - I'm amazed - I had no idea such a deck was even possible in DGR.)

Sadly, I'm going on vacation next week with family, so no real chance to draft any more DGR - by the time I'm back to MTGO, Modern Masters will be out! I might do triple DGM draft later this weekend just to blow through my DGM packs.

WanderingWind

You want to make delver relevant again? The secret is to play bant.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Flip your delver off of creatures you say? Don't mind if I do.

That's hilarious too. You should see the pauses I get when people realize they just got beat by a walking wall.

f0rk

image.jpg

Pretty much as expected for the mythics, Legendary Dragon cycle is a bit sad but the swords and middle row are good. There's still one multicoloured / artifact card missing right?
Could be Ajani Vengeant or Mutavault they seem like pretty good guesses to me.

Also good that Thoughtseize isn't there

zoukka

Has anyone tried to calculate the average value of a pack of MM with the cards released? Is it anywhere near 10€/$ a pack?

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Has anyone tried to calculate the average value of a pack of MM with the cards released? Is it anywhere near 10€/$ a pack?

Highly unlikely...need to see rest of rares/uncommons first. Also got a crazy offer for one of my two MM boxes so that was easy.

red13th

image.jpg

Pretty much as expected for the mythics, Legendary Dragon cycle is a bit sad but the swords and middle row are good. There's still one multicoloured / artifact card missing right?
Could be Ajani Vengeant or Mutavault they seem like pretty good guesses to me.

Also good that Thoughtseize isn't there

What's the leftmost card on the 2nd row?

bigkrev

I'm glad that Thoughtsieze and Cryptic were not bumped to Mythic. NOT happy about the 5 dragons being in the set at mythic though- with the new Legend rules, all are unplayable.

f0rk

I'm glad that Thoughtsieze and Cryptic were not bumped to Mythic. NOT happy about the 5 dragons being in the set at mythic though- with the new Legend rules, all are unplayable.

Meh better Mythic than Rare.

It seems someone's opened a case or something, theres no proof but someone posted this list of cards he could remember

Jhoira of the Ghitu
Squee, Goblin something
Dragonstorm
Angel's Grace
Figure of Destiny
A green rare that starts with V and ends with the word Ancients or something? I think it's a creature..
Woodfall Primus
Engineered Explosives
Some Skeletal Vampire thing?
Death Cloud
Lotus Bloom
Life from the Loam
Extirpate
Stonehewer Giant
Kira
Meloku
Scion of Oona
Oona Queen of Fae
Divinity of Pride
Demigod of Revenge
Aethervial
Arcbound Ravager
Cryptic Command
Blood Moon
Doubling Season
Green entwine card that makes your lands 2/2 and untap them
Molten Diaster
Tooth and Nail
City of Brass
Glimmervoid
Red thing that has suspend 9 and you sac permanents to remove counters
Gifts Ungiven
Hopefully the lack of Thoughtseize is his memory / didn't get opened.
Looks like a pretty solid list to me. Missing ~20 cards.

An-Det

Man, I would've loved to get a Modern Master's box at MSRP, but why does WOTC have to underprint this :/

They hate free money.

Better the dragons at Mythic than things whose price actually need to be affected for the good of the formats. The few playable cards at mythic, the better.

zoukka

Beat by the fucking shuffler with the best deck I made so far in DGR draft. So much fucking bullshit, first match to 4, second match to 4 no fucking lands. Still almost beat my opponent because his deck was bad.

Sometimes you just fucking hate MTG and the fact there's so much luck involved in this game. /end steam off

LULZ one hit kill...

Still won his horrible "all the gates and duals.dec", but it was a pain. The last game he had another 10/10 aberration but I made it a 01 weird because karma is a bitch!

Let's see how the finals go my deck is removals.deck but the curve is asstastic.

Hex

Banned
Meh better Mythic than Rare.

It seems someone's opened a case or something, theres no proof but someone posted this list of cards he could remember

Hopefully the lack of Thoughtseize is his memory / didn't get opened.
Looks like a pretty solid list to me. Missing ~20 cards.

Glimmervoid means no mutavault, hope he is wrong

Top Bottom