• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
It's my first foray into real blue decks (Temur doesn't count, sorry!). Keep the power level up for a few sets so I can get value out of my Jaces!

Also, maybe Bant Midrange is coming to a theater near you. They need T2 plays anyways. Why not Jace.

I've decided, at equal moments, that you are insane and that I like you. Not to say I disliked you before. But still. Ya got moxie, kid.

I just want them to make a Jace so broken they'll vow never to make one again.
j/k

I actually think that'd be a neat interaction, if Tasigur weren't a creature they could have used his effect for a UG walker.

Hackworth

Thanks! I'm still trying to decide if I should send it away for WotC for a replacement. There's quite a bit of wear on the right and top edges.
Do they send replacements to New Zealand? I've got a Watery Grave with a bit of a scratch on the right side (also not sure where my receipts went).

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Unless you're looking to get rid of them immediately it's best to get the replacement. It'll have better value long-term and in addition you'll typically get a free pack included as an apology when they send you your fresh replacement copy back.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Sending a valuable card in the mail freaks me out, but I guess that's what insurance and tracking numbers are for.

Do they send replacements to New Zealand? I've got a Watery Grave with a bit of a scratch on the right side (also not sure where my receipts went).

Presumably they'll send replacements to any region where their product is officially available (i.e. not imported by a third party.)

Socat

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Sending a valuable card in the mail freaks me out, but I guess that's what insurance and tracking numbers are for.

Presumably they'll send replacements to any region where their product is officially available (i.e. not imported by a third party.)

WOTC set up a call tag and Fedex to come pick up my Strand, so looks like they are taking the necessary precautions for these mistakes

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
WOTC set up a call tag and Fedex to come pick up my Strand, so looks like they are taking the necessary precautions for these mistakes

Wow. I've sent a request to have mine replaced. Glad to see them taking it so seriously.

Socat

Wow. I've sent a request to have mine replaced. Glad to see them taking it so seriously.

Took almost 2 weeks to hear back, but today they asked for my address information and a date/time to schedule pickup from fedex, so I am pretty pleased so far. I will keep everyone updated :)

Jhriad

Took almost 2 weeks to hear back, but today they asked for my address information and a date/time to schedule pickup from fedex, so I am pretty pleased so far. I will keep everyone updated :)

Yeah, if you're requesting a replacement right now expect a bit of a delay. From all accounts their replacement department is being slammed with requests right now because of the Expeditions.

Anyone seeing any interesting lists with Oblivion Sower? Apparently there was a big buyout at GP Madison and I'm a bit curious what the list looks like that they're expecting to do well at the Pro Tour.

I'm really wanting to get into this but I'm struggling. Trying to learn via the games but I get routinely smashed by the AI opponents. Not sure I've beat one outside of the tutorial mode.

Any advice?

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, if you're requesting a replacement right now expect a bit of a delay. From all accounts their replacement department is being slammed with requests right now because of the Expeditions.

Anyone seeing any interesting lists with Oblivion Sower? Apparently there was a big buyout at GP Madison and I'm a bit curious what the list looks like that they're expecting to do well at the Pro Tour.

Can't wait for Crumble to Dust on a nonbasic into Sower into Ugin.

Am I remembering correctly that Wizards said they don't want to do non-flipping Planeswalkers if they already have a creature card?

If so, that eliminates a couple right off the bat, no? Mishra, for example.

Am I remembering correctly that Wizards said they don't want to do non-flipping Planeswalkers if they already have a creature card?

Considering that they made a Teferi planeswalker card just last year, I'd say that's not true. Plus, Narset. In any case, Mishra wasn't a planeswalker in the story.

I doubt it
107.jpg
119.jpg

can we talk about how ", Planeswalker" is the laziest annotation possible for literally Nicol Bolas the Planeswalker. Not like Nicol Bolas is someone who needs an annotation but "Motherfucking Bolas" would have been better than that.

Considering that they made a Teferi planeswalker card just last year, I'd say that's not true. Plus, Narset. In any case, Mishra wasn't a planeswalker in the story.

Neither were Urza, Karn and Slobad, of which the latter's spark acquisition never made sense.

Haines

Banned
I'm really wanting to get into this but I'm struggling. Trying to learn via the games but I get routinely smashed by the AI opponents. Not sure I've beat one outside of the tutorial mode.

Any advice?

Did you play hearthstone before?

Are you playing origins duels?

Read the cards. Read the magic basic rules and etc. Learning magic for me, came down to learning to stop my adhd and READ the damn cards.

But if you dont know the basic mechanics, thats where you need to start.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The funniest part about Nissa Revane is that you have to plus Nissa 5 times to use her ultimate except you can only play 4 Nissa's Chosen.

They could always reprint Jace Beleren for the lulz since his OG card was pretty fucking good.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I doubt it

can we talk about how ", Planeswalker" is the laziest annotation possible for literally Nicol Bolas the Planeswalker. Not like Nicol Bolas is someone who needs an annotation but "Motherfucking Bolas" would have been better than that.

Neither were Urza, Karn and Slobad, of which the latter's spark acquisition never made sense.
Bolas means balls in Spanish.

traveler

Not Wario
I think the 5th activation was supposed to be the lifegain one, which is also a plus ability.

Goldfishing draws- now I actually want to find the shell that lets me rattleclaw/leaf gilder > crumble to dust/explosive vegetation/kiora > oblivion sower/nissa's > ugin/atarka

Probably not doable.

Did you play hearthstone before?

Are you playing origins duels?

Read the cards. Read the magic basic rules and etc. Learning magic for me, came down to learning to stop my adhd and READ the damn cards.

But if you dont know the basic mechanics, thats where you need to start.
No. I have dabbled in Pokemon but I'm a complete card game noob.

I read the cards and everything. I just always end up getting behind in cards. Maybe i am attacking too much and losing too many creatures like that. I am bad at deciding when to attack and when to skip attacks. Is skipping pretty common?

Sometimes you just don't have good attacks. It's very common for games to end up in "board stalls" and it comes down to creative use of removal spells and combat spells to break through. That's why evasion (flying, unblockable, menace, etc) are so important.

Haines

Banned
No. I have dabbled in Pokemon but I'm a complete card game noob.

I read the cards and everything. I just always end up getting behind in cards. Maybe i am attacking too much and losing too many creatures like that. I am bad at deciding when to attack and when to skip attacks. Is skipping pretty common?

Im new to magic as well but played a shit ton of hearthstone. Its easier but its also different.

Being a noob ot will just take you a bit to understand how to...win. Ill let a magoc veteren explain how to learn, but just know hearthstone is free and will teach you some card game basics with a shiny coat of paint.

The way i larned is by having a friend teach me the differences and many games stopped and googling and interaction or even asking in this thread.

Magic is a very deep game so be prepared to invest some time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's actually hilarious, if it least also searched the graveyard and hand.
Nissa's Chosen can't go to the graveyard anyways. Its not like Nissa's Chosen is even a good card, its just a 2/3 with a Blightsteel clause. You can use her second ability, I suppose, but its pretty useless just like Nissa herself is.

kirblar

Apparently Saito bought out Hangerbacks, Ojutai's Command, and Oblivion Sower at the GP. The latter he was apparently paying unusually high amounts for. The former two are definitely arbitrage, but you may want to grab a set of Sowers before the PT.

Angry Grimace

Oblivion Sower is way better than you think it is in a land-ramp deck. It's fucking huge and the lands clause is completely uncounterable.

Zulaport Cutthroat is the real deal. I drafted a flimsy B/W/u drain deck and that card alone can make it work. I managed to get two in play and swing some crazy games. Voracious Null also did some real work, although Clutch of Currents is a card and that can sting.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some help with my U/B/R eldrazi Deck im making. Im newish to the magic scene(2ish months), and only play with my girlfriend and Friends.

http://www.mtgvault.com/attleborotaco/decks/ubr-eldrazi/

These just happen to be cards i already own, and what is what my current deck looks like. I know it should be 60 cards, but i dont know what to take out or if it even looks like a decent deck.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some help with my U/B/R eldrazi Deck im making. Im newish to the magic scene(2ish months), and only play with my girlfriend and Friends.

http://www.mtgvault.com/attleborotaco/decks/ubr-eldrazi/

These just happen to be cards i already own, and what is what my current deck looks like. I know it should be 60 cards, but i dont know what to take out or if it even looks like a decent deck.

Some early thoughts just taking a quick glance:
You need more land. You're running 3 colours in a 21 land deck, that's just a recipe for mana screw, especially when you want to sac 3 of the lands you have. Bump up the manabase to 24+ lands. Secondly, a lot of your lands are meh. Cut out the Swiftwater cliffs for a Shivan Reef

Deeper insight:
Take out the Benthic Inflitrator. It's awful at 3 Mana.

Take out a good chunk of your processors. You've got a bunch of ingestors, but only a few are actually good. I'd suggest going less focused on Ingestors and instead on stuff like Bane of Bala Ged, which doesn't need to deal combat damage to players to exile stuff.

Vile Aggregrate is a win more card. You drop him on an empty board you get a 1/3 with Trample for 3 Mana.

I like the Herald of Kolizek as a core card. He's hard to remove outside of combat and even 2 of them on a board cuts down your heavy cost cards by a chunk.

It's not a bad deck by any means, It just needs some tweaking. Though granted, it is for casual, so it depends upon how it's been working for you.

Vile Aggregrate is a win more card. You drop him on an empty board you get a 1/3 with Trample for 3 Mana.

1/5, actually. I'd say it's a more than fair card to include in the deck.

Anyway, cut the deck down to 60 cards and go up to at least 23 lands, probably 24.

A good way to cut down on cards and figure out your lands is to lay out your cards grouped by color and mana cost. See what combination of colors you'd expect to have available to cast each spell on the turn that matches with its cost. Chances are, you'll find that you'd need an unlikely or even impossible combination of lands to cast each three-cost spell on turn three, and such. From that, you first cut out cards to make it easier to reliably cast the remaining spells on those turns, and from there, figure out what lands you want. You base this off of the colored mana symbols in the mana costs, with more weight given to spells you want to cast on the first few turns.

traveler

Not Wario
Oblivion Sower is way better than you think it is in a land-ramp deck. It's fucking huge and the lands clause is completely uncounterable.

Oh, I agree. It was actually the card I listed as my favorite in the survey WotC sent out. I just had this crazy idea that Crumble into Dust with it would somehow be good, given that Crumble has a target in every matchup right now and getting 4 - 6 lands off Sower seems pretty incredible, especially if you have landfall. I would not be surprised to see the Sower find a home elsewhere though.

And I also wouldn't be surprised if that home was alongside Ugin, who seems like the best threat to the current field. No idea how you actually get to him though.

Went ahead and picked up 4 sowers and 2 Ugin on speculation. Worst case, 1 of each will join my edh collection and I can eat the loss on the others.

traveler

Not Wario
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181453353]Man, I'm having real trouble beating Dragonlord Atarka pre board with Jeskai lol

I'm like 2-7 for preboard games against a rough Temur Dragons list.[/QUOTE]

You have a list? I was trying to come up with a Temur Dragons build earlier today as the ramp deck still seems pretty unsolved. Felt like it did too little in the early game/drew the wrong "half" the deck at the wrong time.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181453353]Man, I'm having real trouble beating Dragonlord Atarka pre board with Jeskai lol

I'm like 2-7 for preboard games against a rough Temur Dragons list.[/QUOTE]

Are you playing any of the 3CMC counters? Spell Shrivel would be another permanent exile against Den Protector/Deathmist, or is 3CMC and UU just too clunky with Mantis Rider. Given I have no clue about standard.

You have a list? I was trying to come up with a Temur Dragons build earlier today as the ramp deck still seems pretty unsolved. Felt like it did too little in the early game/drew the wrong "half" the deck at the wrong time.
Im on my phone but here's an idea

4 rattleclaw
2 whisperer of the wilds
3 shaman of forgotten ways
2 nissa
4 knucklebro
4 thunderbreak
4 icefall
2 atarka

4 draconic roar
3 craters claws
2 stubborn denial