• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly? I'd be super down with that. As someone who thinks Sanderson is quite good and readable without being great, he could go crazy with MtG, it plays exactly to his strengths and he could bring some much needed plotting and strong characterization (as distinct from actual good characters mind you) to the writing

I only read little of his works (Mistborn trilogy and Alloy of the law) but what I read amazed me from a systematic perspective. Few books establish magic as consistent as he did in these books while still being very unique.

The books in itself were pretty mediocre.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I only read little of his works (Mistborn trilogy and Alloy of the law) but what I read amazed me from a systematic perspective. Few books establish magic as consistent as he did in these books while still being very unique.

Sanderson's also a huge M:tG fan. I doubt WotC would be willing to pay him enough to make it worth his while, though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

The systemic magic is good, but the thing that really sticks with me especially as I read a lot of other fantasy in the last couple years, is that he's a damn good propulsive writer who moves his books along and wraps them up satisfactorily, and that's rarer than it should be

blackflag

Grixis control is the most recent, steady control deck in modern. Some of that is Kolagan's Command, some of that is just the sheer novelty of Grixis not sucking in modern any longer. It's my backup deck at the moment. Tons of fun, good matchups (oddly soft against merfolk) but overall a really, really solid choice.
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=10430&d=259695&f=MO

UW control is back (for now). I don't like it as much as grixis, but it's nabbed a solid piece of the meta. I'd go with whichever you're happiest with. I live for Bolt - Snap - Bolt (or Command). Some people prefer the turtle plan of Wall of Omens and Finks. http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=10611&d=260719&f=MO

Ok nice, I was leaning towards something with snapcaster since it's so fun. No Liliana?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ok nice, I was leaning towards something with snapcaster since it's so fun. No Liliana?

A lot of delve stuff right now makes Lili alright. Good still, but not OMG must play. She still runs in BGx, but when I play my Grixis deck, I'm happy to see her. Not so much with muh Infect

Man, I'm like 90% of the way towards trading into Lantern Control ^_^

All I need now out of the money cards is 1 Glimmervoid, 2 Spellskites, a Blackcleave Cliff and 3 Inquisitions(which I sold previously because I was certain they'd be in BFZ. They'll probably be in Oath if Kozilek's coming back, but with this much of the deck left to get I might as well just get them).

Anyone wanna trade? :p

Jhriad

I don't mean like 15 buck cards, we were talking about JVP, which is on track to be JTMS prices and probably will never go down from being JTMS prices.

They've previously stated that they won't print a double-sided card into supplemental product like Clash Packs or Duel Decks because it's too hard to print. Something along those lines. Basically, unless the supplemental product has a double-sided theme, don't expect to see any individual card reprinted there.

Yeef

How do you propose to do counterspells on a walker?
Tamiyo, Knowledge Seeker 3UU
Planeswalker - Tamiyo
{+1}: Tap up to two target permanents and draw a card.
{-2}: Until your next turn, whenever an opponent casts a spell, counter that spell unless that player pays 1.
{-8}: Return each instant and sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. You have no maximum hand size for the rest of the game.
[4]

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Planeswalker - Tamiyo
{-2}: Until your next turn, whenever an opponent casts a spell, counter that spell unless that player pays 1.
{-8}: Return each instant and sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. You have no maximum hand size for the rest of the game.
[4]

I would preorder that for 50 bucks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Planeswalker - Tamiyo
[4]

The +1 is busted beyond belief. You'd have to reverse the + and the - and make the counter ability affect only the first spell in a turn.

OnPoint

Planeswalker - Tamiyo
[4]

+1: Cryptic Command
-2: Defense Grid
-8: Yawgmoth's Will

Planeswalker - Tamiyo
{-8}: Return each instant and sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. You get an emblem with "You have no maximum hand size"
[4]

Everything's emblems now

-2 Counter Target Spell, you can activate this ability any time you could cast an instant. Name can't use activated abilities until it is your turn again.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why not slap Kira Glass Spinner on a PW?

Creatures you control have "Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability for the first time in a turn, counter that spell or ability."

The Technomancer

"Counter the first" don't really feel like putting a counterspell on a planeswalker though, it just puts up a shield that your opponent either has to outwait or burn a spell getting through. There's no feeling of ambush

...dear god why do we want to put a counterspell on a planeswalker?

Haly

Who knows? I just went with the flow.

Do you think they'll ever make a planeswalker that can use its abilities as instants?

The Technomancer

Do you think they'll ever make a planeswalker that can use its abilities as instants?

I can already predict the Rosewater answer, which is "yes but we're very careful with the pace at which we use up Planeswalker design space"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
+1 you win the game
-2 you win the game harder
-7 you win the game the hardest

19.jpg

Haly

Ah, what's the ruling for keeping track of turns? Do loyalty powers "reload" on your upkeep?

I'd love emblems people could interact with.

Like "You can't lose the game. Pay 10 Life: Destroy this Emblem, every player can activate this ability."

Wow they really fucked up Teferi. That's not an unaging wizard that can phase out entire continents, that's just a random ass blue walker. Nothing about his abilities is even Temporal

The Technomancer

I'd love emblems people could interact with.

Like "You can't lose the game. Pay 10 Life: Destroy this Emblem, every player can activate this ability."

Wow they really fucked up Teferi. That's not an unaging wizard that can phase out entire continents, that's just a random ass blue walker. Nothing about his abilities is even Temporal

The second and third feel temporal, the first just doesn't. They did a better job at making Venser feel like a teleportation mage though

Yeef

Ah, what's the ruling for keeping track of turns? Do loyalty powers "reload" on your upkeep?
Loyalty abilities are just limited to once per turn. Normally, they're limited to sorcery speed, but Teferi's emblem makes that no longer the case. In a multiplayer format like Commander, you can activate an ability on your turn, then again on each other player's turn as long as you have the emblem.

Getting that ultimate off is oh-so fulfilling.

Untapping 4 permanents as an instant is kind of like turning back time.

The second and third feel temporal, the first just doesn't. They did a better job at making Venser feel like a teleportation mage though

Idk there's so much that untaps in multiple colours it's hard for me to see it as temporal, I can't even find cards that Untap and have to do with time in blue (it's difficult because blue usually does the opposite). The Ult is the closest.

Another interesting concept would be a Walker with only minus abilities that gets a Loyalty counter at the beginning of your upkeep. Sarkhan was similar but had no way to gain counters and no Ult to reach because of that. Only way to up the Walker to Ult would be not to use his abilities

Haly

In a multiplayer format like Commander, you can activate an ability on your turn, then again on each other player's turn as long as you have the emblem.

The fug.

How do you propose to do counterspells on a walker?

"-3: Exile a card from your hand. Until the start of your next turn, you can play it without paying its mana cost. At the start of the next turn, return it from exile to your hand."

I can already predict the Rosewater answer, which is "yes but we're very careful with the pace at which we use up Planeswalker design space"

This is one of the things I think he's trivially right about. They need to do 10 new planeswalker cards a year for the rest of eternity. The number of workable, balanced yet powerful designs is already limited, plus they need to keep doing a few new or almost-new things with them so people stay excited. Obvious huge veins of new space (instant-speed loyalty, triggered and static abilities, etc.) make sense to hold off on as long as they can still excite people by filling in color groups and occasionally breaking out the 4-ability frame. Like:

Another interesting concept would be a Walker with only minus abilities that gets a Loyalty counter at the beginning of your upkeep.

I guarantee Rosewater has a text file on his desktop that's just lists of designs for planeswalkers that are two minus abilities plus a triggered loyalty gain that he's saving for some block in 2026.

Angry Grimace

The end result of being forced to design 10 new planeswalker cards a year is already apparent. It's Ob Nixilis Reignited.

The end result of being forced to design 10 new planeswalker cards a year is already apparent. It's Ob Nixilis Reignited.

Ob Nixilis is great. I'm playing him as a 1-of in my Jeskai deck over Sarkhan. It's easier to get double black than red with the mana base, and his plus is so great. Not to mention that he can kill Rhinos and Tasigurs while Sarkhan cannot.

Murder/Phrexian Arena split card is great if you're playing a slightly more controlling Yore-Tiller.

ultron87

-1: Put a 1/1 Merfolk creature token into play with "Sacrifice this creature: Counter target instant or sorcery spell unless it's controller pays 1".

On the inevitable Merfolk walker. Edit cause I'm dumb: besides Kiora.

I'd really like a PW with

Put a 1/1 Faerie Token into play with Flying and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player draw a card."

-1: Put a 1/1 Merfolk creature token into play with "Sacrifice this creature: Counter target instant or sorcery spell unless it's controller pays 1".

On the inevitable Merfolk walker.

There is a Merfolk walker but for arbitrary reasons she's been UG twice now and have nothing to do with Merfolk. When the last tribal merfolk are from Zendikar...

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182697074]Ob Nixilis is great. I'm playing him as a 1-of in my Jeskai deck over Sarkhan. It's easier to get double black than red with the mana base, and his plus is so great. Not to mention that he can kill Rhinos and Tasigurs while Sarkhan cannot.

Murder/Phrexian Arena split card is great if you're playing a slightly more controlling Yore-Tiller.[/QUOTE]

The point isn't whether he's good or not. It's that its Planeswalker design will eventually boil to extremely basic in-color elements. They probably only have so many good designs left. Hell, Gideon and Kiora are just tweaked rehashes of what their cards already have done.

Haly

I thought Kiora was merfolk?

I'd rather not have Nissas for all the tribes but I guess it's unavoidable at this rate.

Haines

Banned
My work shift got canceled so I can finally hit my first fnm/draft

Couple questions

Where can I sort bfz cards by money value so I know what rares NOT to pass

Watched a lot of mtgo drafts and they get to see there cards while drafting. Do most people peek at there cards while drafting or just remember the best they can?

My buddy taught me 17 creatures 6 spells 17 lands. Is this how I should deck build? Do awaken cards kind of count as a creature when building?

JulianImp

My work shift got canceled so I can finally hit my first fnm/draft

Couple questions

Where can I sort bfz cards by money value so I know what rares NOT to pass

Watched a lot of mtgo drafts and they get to see there cards while drafting. Do most people peek at there cards while drafting or just remember the best they can?

My buddy taught me 17 creatures 6 spells 17 lands. Is this how I should deck build? Do awaken cards kind of count as a creature when building?

AFAIK you can't check your previously drafted cards until you finish drafting a pack and before you move on to the next one, so you've got to try and remember your previous picks as well as possible.

BFZ appears to be more centered on big creatures from what I've read, so running 18 lands isn't as rare as in previous draft formats. Also, creature and spell counts all depend on your colors and deck archetypes.

A general rule of thumb for which cards to pick in a draft is the "BREAD" acronym: Bomb > Removal > Evasion > Card Advantage > whatever D was supposed to stand for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom