• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Only the middle space, second down doesn't work outside the SA thread. A more generic term would need to be used to be universal.
Yeah but we can probably figure out what goony behavior is.

Violet_0

Banned
1 - 1 with this deck in draft currently, one more to go. At least I got a pack out of this already
http://i.imgur.com/jQ74lXp.png

I'd say the deck is pretty okay, just somewhat lacking in the mid-range area which hurt me in game 1 and 2. Some killer rares aside from Blight Herder who I can't even activate (and should have probably switch with another minotaur), except that I never draw them

oh yeah and it looks like my first-round opponent is going to win this

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You don't get to play in the event though. Should I have stated that outright? I thought it was implicit given people show up to events to play at them. You always have the option to bounce but if you actually want to play in the event, you agree and understand that the cards you open aren't actually yours to keep (necessarily).

To coerce someone, you have to force or intimidate someone to do something they don't want to do. If you explain to them how you're drafting before you start, what is stopping them from just going "nah, I'm good"?

Coercion, theft, scam.......do you guys even know what these words mean? Again its fine if you'd rather not draft that way but calling people or stores that do so thieving scam artists is just too much.

Here is a link to what coerce actually means. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/coerce

verb (used with object), coerced, coercing.
to compel by force, intimidation, or authority, especially without regard for individual desire or volition:
They coerced him into signing the document.
to bring about through the use of force or other forms of compulsion; exact:
to coerce obedience.
to dominate or control, especially by exploiting fear, anxiety, etc.:
The state is based on successfully coercing the individual.

And as we all know, new players in stores or to the game never have anxiety or can fall victim to the local shop "pro's" authority, right? And if you had bothered to read the entirety of my post you probably would have seen the sentence that I wrote that allows for a group of fully aware players to engage in a rare redraft. That doesn't change the fact that people who do it take advantage of others or to exploit inexeperienced people are thieves or scammers, depending on the exact situation. It's great if you've never seen it. That doesn't negate their existence. There is a reason why it's not a sanctioned draft format.

1 - 1 with this deck in draft currently, one more to go. At least I got a pack out of this already
http://i.imgur.com/jQ74lXp.png

I'd say the deck is pretty okay, just somewhat lacking in the mid-range area which hurt me in game 1 and 2. Some killer rares aside from Blight Herder who I can't even activate (and should have probably switch with another minotaur), except that I never draw them

Why didn't you put encircling fissure in the main board?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I generally avoid combat tricks, a bad habit of mine :p
which card would you switch it with? I still have a few games to play!

Encircling Fissure is a straight up blowout, especially late. I would put it in almost any deck that was running a reasonable number of creatures because it can completely crush board stalls. Even early when you use it to 1-for-1 it's still a good card.

Hard to say, probably the blight herder or one of the Cubs.
Encircling fissure can be a total blowout.

I would not cut Blight Herder imo. A 4/5 for 5 is a very good rate even with no way to turn on the bonus mode. I would cut either one of the cubs (the only relevant targets are Return cycle) or Angelic Gift.

JulianImp

And as we all know, new players in stores or to the game never have anxiety or can fall victim to the local shop "pro's" authority, right? And if you had bothered to read the entirety of my post you probably would have seen the sentence that I wrote that allows for a group of fully aware players to engage in a rare redraft. That doesn't change the fact that people who do it take advantage of others or to exploit inexeperienced people are thieves or scammers, depending on the exact situation. It's great if you've never seen it. That doesn't negate their existence. There is a reason why it's not a sanctioned draft format.

Yeah, LGS regulars often have a degree of authority that new players don't stand up against, even more so since most of the time those newer players still haven't jumped into the online community, and as a result might end up buying whatever the store regulars are saying. Even if they don't, sometimes competitive sharks group together, which makes running a separate normal draft hard unless the shop has enough attendees to hold two separate eight-person events.

Rare redrafts will always screw new players up, because on top of them being unlikely to have the skill to draft well and place in the top positions, then they get to watch as the top players take all the cards worth anything and he/she gets to leave with a couple Vizzedrix at best. Even if the player's happy that they managed to at least get a card or two that they happened to need for a deck of theirs, these are the kind of events you'll someday look back and remember how much others ended up ripping you off.

Violet_0

Banned
Hard to say, probably the blight herder or one of the Cubs.
Encircling fissure can be a total blowout.
Encircling Fissure is a straight up blowout, especially late. I would put it in almost any deck that was running a reasonable number of creatures because it can completely crush board stalls. Even early when you use it to 1-for-1 it's still a good card.

right right, I'll keep that in mind next time, thanks guys. This is my first draft since 2011, any help I can get is appreciated heh
I would not cut Blight Herder imo. A 4/5 for 5 is a very good rate even with no way to turn on the bonus mode. I would cut either one of the cubs (the only relevant targets are Return cycle) or Angelic Gift.
I don't know, Angelic Gift has been really useful in my previous matches

I have a soft spot for Angelic Gift, worst case I'd just enchant a flyer on the opponent's side. Not sure it fits in a deck that doesn't intend to block though

Serpentine spike is so great, especially with tramplers. I played it last week and just would put the 4 damage on a 5 toughness creature and then attack for lethal with the sliderunners and even 1/1s. Games usually end up going so wide it's rarely gonna be a dead card.

Angry Grimace

Standard caveats about auras apply, even cantrips. The potential on Encircling is just so much higher.

Angry Grimace

I mean, Mist Intruder and the 1/1 black guy is decent if you have a bunch of good Processors and *really* have nothing to enable the Exile abilities (obviously you're gonna want Grip of Desolation or something if you can get it).

Violet_0

Banned
well the last two matches were super easy, switched one cub out for fissure but then the other cub came in really handy
z3brpdi.png
2-1 for my first draft in like forever, not bad!

Jesus Christ mtgo is utter trash. I can't wait until my work shifts change so I can actually play paper Magic and be done with this abortion of a "simulation" of Magic forever.

In a 23 land deck, in 4 GAMES STRAIGHT I have drawn 12 lands in my first four turns. WotC, eat a dick. Seriously, terrible program. This shit does not happen. It does not happen.

18haf80pp2wkzgif.gif

It doesn't happen in paper because we don't properly randomize.

MTGO is probably only using pseudo rng but that's already myriads ahead of real life paper.
But it fails in emulating the real game.

When I'm literally 3 or 4 games straight in drawing nothing but lands (including mulligans), there is something wrong. Salt in the wound with each opponent getting their godhand combo opening hand.

It's a wonder the MtGO PT is a real thing.

But it fails in emulating the real game.

When I'm literally 3 or 4 games straight in drawing nothing but lands (including mulligans), there is something wrong. Salt in the wound with each opponent getting their godhand combo opening hand.

It's a wonder the MtGO PT is a real thing.

Uhm that doesn't make sense it's bad because it doesn't work for you but your opponent?

MtGO sucks for a myriad of other reasons.

ultron87

In a 23 land deck, in 4 GAMES STRAIGHT I have drawn 12 lands in my first four turns. WotC, eat a dick. Seriously, terrible program. This shit does not happen. It does not happen.

Do you mean that, in 4 games, 12 of your 16 total draws for the first four turns of those games were land?

Violet_0

Banned
btw, seeing how I never got my Emeria Shepard into play and could only cast Serpentine Spike once, I have no idea how you can get all those Eldrazi on board in limited unless you really have a lot of green ramp

y2dvd

Why the hell did ojutai spike to 35 and is still sold out ? Nothing at the pro tour seemed to suggest it would go up and with more crackling dooms hanging around it seems worse than usual.

I don't get it

Looking at a bunch of top 8s from the weekend, it looks like Esper has been putting up results. It's also sometimes played in Bring to Light decks. As long as they don't have some sac ability, Otujai blanks Mantis Rider, flies over Gideon's token, and does it's usual stuff we know it can do.

ultron87

btw, seeing how I never got my Emeria Shepard into play and could only cast Serpentine Spike once, I have no idea how you can get all those Eldrazi on board in limited unless you really have a lot of green ramp

Yeah, trying to get to 7+ "naturally" is tough. You really need stuff like Kozilek's Channeler, Hedron Archive, Scions or various green spells to get you there.

Angry Grimace

The answer is green ramp lol. But seriously, you're not wrong. The big Eldrazi are mostly a trap unless you get Kozilek's Channeler or Hedron Archives out the wazoo.

Yeah, trying to get to 7+ "naturally" is tough. You really need stuff like Kozilek's Channeler, Hedron Archive, Scions or various green spells to get you there.

I find getting to 7 just happens consistently, even playing aggro many games I finished by paying 8 to Valakut Evoker over multiple turns

Boards just end up stalled repeatedly unless you get the nut draw.

noquarter

So looks like this is mainly about Standard, but was wondering if anybody had opinions on what to play at a legacy event. Was told it was Dredge that took it last time and have the following available:

NO RUG
LED Dredge
Mono White Death and Taxes
Possibly Merfolk

Could possibly make quite a few others, but couldn't do Show and Tell or Lands. Think I could make Pox, only need the Thoughtseizes.

As you can see, haven't actually played any legacy in like 2-3 years. The tournament is for a Mox Pearl, so really just going to scope the scene since it looks like they will be having a tourney for each P9 piece, hope I only missed Timetwister.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Death and Taxes is a great pick for the current meta, but it depends more on your local meta. If more people are playing Elves than Miracles it's pretty weak.

That said, my heart says Dredge. Cabal Therapy is too sweet.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
So looks like this is mainly about Standard, but was wondering if anybody had opinions on what to play at a legacy event. Was told it was Dredge that took it last time and have the following available:

NO RUG
LED Dredge
Possibly Merfolk

Could possibly make quite a few others, but couldn't do Show and Tell or Lands. Think I could make Pox, only need the Thoughtseizes.

As you can see, haven't actually played any legacy in like 2-3 years. The tournament is for a Mox Pearl, so really just going to scope the scene since it looks like they will be having a tourney for each P9 piece, hope I only missed Timetwister.

Where do you live that your LGS holds such an awesome Event? There's no way they are making a profit like that unless there are scores of people registering for this tourney.

I would think Death and Taxes would be a pretty strong performer since you don't know much of the meta. I personally run Lands because it's too much fun, but it does fold to certain decks. Death and Taxes seems like it could carry you pretty far.

ironmang

NO RUG
LED Dredge
Possibly Merfolk

Out of those I'd go with D&T even if I don't think it's that great of a deck and only puts up top 8s due to so many people entering tournaments with it (kind of like burn in standard).

Definitely don't take Dredge right after it won a tournament. Everybody remembers and many of them will throw in an extra piece of graveyard hate.

noquarter

Where do you live that your LGS holds such an awesome Event? There's no way they are making a profit like that unless there are scores of people registering for this tourney.

I would think Death and Taxes would be a pretty strong performer since you don't know much of the meta. I personally run Lands because it's too much fun, but it does fold to certain decks. Death and Taxes seems like it could carry you pretty far.
It's a $30 entry fee and the only prize that is granted guaranteed is the Mox. They said there was 68 people at the last tourney, so we'll see. Really I just want to play Legacy, so that is enough reason for me to go. I'm in Maryland, btw, it is Power Gamer or Squabbles in Glen Burnie.
Out of those I'd go with D&T even if I don't think it's that great of a deck and only puts up top 8s due to so many people entering tournaments with it (kind of like burn in standard).

Definitely don't take Dredge right after it won a tournament. Everybody remembers and many of them will throw in an extra piece of graveyard hate.
Appreciate the feedback. Will look for some good sideboard stuff and goldfish some. Don't think I know anybody here that can pilot Dredge, but hopefully can fairly try to play myself a couple times.

That Standard LD deck looks hilarious by the way. Haven't finished the video, yet, but I'm a fan. I was actually thinking the other day that there are some dece LD spells right now.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I've never seen it but I'd love if someone used Jace to give flashback to a counterspell precombat and then attack or just pass the turn.
I actually did this on my attack step with a surge of righteousness. No matter what he chose to do, it would lead to his doom, but my opponent was genuinely confused when I did it. It was pretty sweet.

Violet_0

Banned
since I was feeling lucky I decided to do another draft, and yay
0Eqew12.png

I thought my deck was pretty awful, heh
http://i.imgur.com/rgsJeqL.png

some weird 3-color converge deck just because I felt like it, and because I got Exert Influence in my first booster. Switched Brood Monitor with another Outnumber in the last two matches as I needed early removal and never played BM anyway

Murasa Ranger is sick, she stomped over multiple Eldrazi as a 11/11. Exert Influence on Gruul Draz Overseer was totally worth it going 3-color

Angry Grimace

I've never seen it but I'd love if someone used Jace to give flashback to a counterspell precombat and then attack or just pass the turn.

Perfectly acceptable line of play if the situation calls for it pre-combat if you're expecting a Celestial Flare, or want to resolve a Mantis Rider, etc. Counterspells are only good if you can cast them right when your opponent casts the spell so its a good protective measure. A lot of games with Jeskai Black end up with Jace on board doing nothing but ticking up so its not a bad play.

Angry Grimace

Now Cheon is playing against Rietzl with a UW control deck

how does it win?

Shitload of ramp + dorks, tap out and float any extra mana you might have, play all the ramp and land fetch spells and you end up with an insurmountable resource advantage, then you just drop Ulamog or something. Being the active player when you cast it is way better. As far as I can tell they're usually ramp/Ulamog decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom