• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Atarka's Command did save my ass once, when I had my opponent at 6 health and his board was tapped out and I was able to dash in a Zurgo and hit him for exactly 6.

Haines

Banned
No. I ended up with 2 Courier Griffins, 2 Ghostly Sentinels, 2 Wave-Wing Elementals, a Skyrider Elf and 1 Angel of Renewal.

How did the wave wings preform? I haven't played fliers yet and I know you drafted some blockers but do you still feel a lot of pressure? I just wondered by the time you get fliers out maybe you get stuck blocking with them but I guess the ghostly vigilance helps with that?

traveler

Not Wario
Down the last wire, can't decide what to play for game day. It's bant tokens vs. megamorph. After testing, I feel bant is very slightly superior against atarka red, slightly to moderately superior against jeskai, (depending on how many radiant flames they have) and moderately better against abzan. It's noticeably worse against megamorph than megamorph itself, and it has pretty much the same crappy matchup against aristocrats.

That may seem like it favors bant tokens, but I'm more used to piloting megamorph at this point, and if the field is anything like states, there will be way more megamorphs than jeskai and abzan.

Also debating last second icy blast sb inclusion in bant tokens for the mirror, aristocrats, and megamorph. Uh, any ideas in the next 10 minutes guys lol?

Always Bant, Bant is the best triple colour combination.
That's worthless coming from me though.

Hah the guy I lose to in Prereleases regularly is in a feature match at GP Quebec right now and he's playing with 3+ expeditions.

Lol @ Sigrist's deck, casting Ulamog's 3 times in succession.

I have to miss Game Day today which sucks. I could use the practice that it would offer me. I haven't been to an FNM or anything in over a year.

Yeef

How did the wave wings preform? I haven't played fliers yet and I know you drafted some blockers but do you still feel a lot of pressure? I just wondered by the time you get fliers out maybe you get stuck blocking with them but I guess the ghostly vigilance helps with that?
Wave-Wing is always solid. It's a decent blocker and a great attacker with landfall. Never really felt pressured in any of the games. The important thing about designing your mana curve is that if you have a lot of expensive creatures, you need cheap blockers and removal. Between the 3 walls and the 3 tightening coils, I didn't have any problem dealing with early and mid-game threats, then I'd just fly over to close out the game.

traveler

Not Wario
Always Bant, Bant is the best triple colour combination.
That's worthless coming from me though.

Hah the guy I lose to in Prereleases regularly is in a feature match at GP Quebec right now and he's playing with 3+ expeditions.

Lol @ Sigrist's deck, casting Ulamog's 3 times in succession.

I went megamorph, anticipating a lot of other megamorph deck based on states. I was wrong- my first round opponent was Abzan with 3 anafenzas across 2 games. Never saw a single megamorph deck- had to fight mardu blue, jeskai black, atarka red, and uw true draw go control instead. Won the jeskai, atarka, and control matches; lost to mardu and abzan, which is what you would expect.

Bant would have been better overall for sure. Instead, I got place 9th, a hair below the cutoff. Oh well, there's always next week. I think Bant would have had a much bigger surprise factor this week though.

Haines

Banned
Wave-Wing is always solid. It's a decent blocker and a great attacker with landfall. Never really felt pressured in any of the games. The important thing about designing your mana curve is that if you have a lot of expensive creatures, you need cheap blockers and removal. Between the 3 walls and the 3 tightening coils, I didn't have any problem dealing with early and mid-game threats, then I'd just fly over to close out the game.

I got 3 in my blue red draft yesterday but only put one in, for fear of being to top heavy. I had a couple smaller fliers and a win condition anyways, but i did also get 3 coils so i could have possibly went that direction if needed for some late game win condition but i relied on dragon castor

I really like coils as a card. Its really well designed,

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
My deck did not cooperate with me during game day, went 2-1-1 in both AM and PM with really frustrating losses. The ties were pretty crappy too.

Joe Molotov

Went 4-1 in swiss and lost in the semi-finals today at Game Day. I really wanted that mat, but not enough to spend all Sunday trying for it again.

Firemind

I went back and check old game day promos and black sun zenith really is something else.

7.jpg

That's some chilling and powerful art. Wish they did more like these.

Meanwhile, I hope you like CG eldrazi spawn being blasted by CG fire lol

Yeef

Watched some friends playing on Friday, one got out Winter orb and Static Orb then another played Prophet.. Pretty obvious who ended up winning that one.

Haines

Banned
Watching sperling draft. Very highly picking natural connection, blighted woodlannd mana fixing in essentially a 2 color deck with 1 plains splash.

Is natural connection really that good for the 3 mana? Seems i have a lot to learn , and maybe cards that give uou land are super powerful in draft? I suppose he also has a few landfall creatures, so maybe thats where some of the valie is im overlooking.

Also he spoke of kolzel sentinal amd unnatural aggresion combo? So basically the spell pumps it to 2 attack and you can kill a 2 health flier at best? Im no really seeing the value there. I thought aggression was more for hood trades with maybe a big dude of yours

That Black Sun's Zenith is sexy. The recent Ultimate Price was a pretty good promo too, but the other promos right now are pretty lame.

man, prophet of kruphix is some broken mess in EDH

sure, let the player have as many turns as everyone else together
I got into an argument with those clowns on MTGS and they were arguing that -- along with Courser -- were fair and balanced cards, and the fact they weren't ban-worthy was evidence enough of how they were not broken. Lmao.

Bandini

That Black Sun's Zenith is sexy. The recent Ultimate Price was a pretty good promo too, but the other promos right now are pretty lame.

I got into an argument with those clowns on MTG and they were arguing that -- along with Courser -- were fair and balanced cards, and the fact they weren't ban-worthy was evidence enough of how they were not broken. Lmao.

Courser's strong but at least it needs something else to really go nuts. Prophet is definitely ban-worthy though imo

Welcome to the new age, to the new age

I know the song but I'm missing the connection, and I misstyped it'd be mirakuru

His art for admonition angel has that in the stained glass, which I thought was pretty cool. The other one I think is Mayael's Aria?

Yeah they had some Daily MTG articles on it a while back. I do love me some angel art, though sometimes go as overboard with Angels and wings as they do with Dragons and horns.

Toxi

Banned
man, prophet of kruphix is some broken mess in EDH

sure, let the player have as many turns as everyone else together
The moment somebody plays Prophet of Kruphix in EDH, they have my full ire and attention. Fuck that obnoxious unfun card. And of course it's GU, so it fits into obnoxious cookie-cutter GU goodstuff decks.

Haines

Banned
Ugh just watched a guys youtube draft.ngot incredibly lucky uw, 2 spouts, clutches up the wazzoo, 2 tidecallers, griffens, that colorless +1 attack card....anything you could want, must have been. Open and great packs in those colors..

Like 3rd pack, passes on angel of renewal bc his awaken cards cost so much he says...ok...for a second pilgrims eye?!? Yuck, he has no 6 dropp creatures!

Than later he ends up taking a 6 drop wave wing....

Gahhhhhh

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can't unsee demon face in harmonize 2spooky.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What should I do with this EXP Misty? Thinking about trading it for a SDCC Jace or something. I don't actually play with the Misty but I use Jace all the time, and so far it seems like he sees play in Twin (and I have a fully constructed Twin deck).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom