• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
axVS6.gif

Oh come on

Also curious about:

what do you like most abot the spring 2016 block? I think it cleverly solved an ongoing problem we've been having.

This is SOI. Kinda curious what kind of problem he could be talking about.

A while back I started watching old poker matches with MTG pros to see what sort of skills are transferable between the games. One thing I picked up was counting outs as the game is progressing and using that data to take risks.

A good example of that is playing my Yore-Tiller Control deck versus GR Ramp. I can't win the game very quickly so the game starts to get suuuper grindy. Knowing your opponent has 0 lands left in their deck(and in fact you know exactly what cards to worry about due to Infinite Obliteration) is really scary when you have to decide whether to hold up a spell or cast removal/a threat on a key turn.

"If I cast Tasigur here and my opponent has the 3rd Ugin what happens, what if it's Nissa..." etc

Makes for super interesting games, at least. The last time I played against GR Ramp I was super mana-restricted(only 3 lands in the third game after seeing the top 22 cards), which only makes the puzzle more fascinating. Casting the Crackling Doom from your hand vs with Jace and what that means, etc. This is what makes good games of magic and why I love playing decks with wider decision trees when I can.

Firemind

Why have dwarves at all when they're explicitly not dwarves? Might as well invent a creature type like Kithkins and call them that.

I feel that for dwarves, they should embrace the ugliness, so they don't just look like small humans. One interesting direction would be to make them mole-like, with mole noses and small eyes.

That didn't really work out for the kithkin. Generally their successful demihuman designs are attractive, human-ish, and have one specific hook that makes it easy to identify them.

Put me down for Egyptian world too!

I mean I'm certainly down. My third-round GDS2 world was an Egyptian-themed world. I was actually going over my submission the other day and realized they've done just about every single mechanic in it in sets since. 😂

Bandini

Well, I finally got my replacement Expedition land from Wizards today, nearly a month after I mailed them the defective one.

No bonus product included, laaaammmeeeee

Perhaps it's the werewolf issue, where they resolved werewolves in AVR and are now returning to the plane, and will likely need to somehow undo that.

Well, that's a story problem, not something that MaRo would really concern himself with. Plus, it isn't really an ongoing problem that they've had. I'd say it's "give red more to do at common", since he brings up that very issue in the article too, but I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

OnPoint

Well, that's a story problem, not something that MaRo would really concern himself with. Plus, it isn't really an ongoing problem that they've had. I'd say it's "give red more to do at common", since he brings up that very issue in the article too, but I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

I mean you're probably right, but if they want to use the werewolf mechanic in the set, they're gonna need to figure out how to solve that.

traveler

Not Wario
Have they indicated any interest in continuing to do GDSs? I don't think I'd actually pursue the job, but I'd love to take part in all the search activities.

What did they figure out with SOI and what are the ideals they're reconsidering? I'm more interested in those than I am about SOI as a set.

Maybe they re-evaluated how they have allowed Red to get it's awkward "card draw" in the way red cards occasionally can play cards off the library or exile them. It'd be nice if the color with the least graveyard interaction at least was allowed to put the un-cast cards in their graveyard, but in a set with flashback this is probably not going to happen.

Maybe red can get some of it's ways to interact with the stack back. Cards like "Wild Ricochet" and "Ricochet Trap" used to be in Red's wheelhouse, but Maro hates those effects.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185698673]A while back I started watching old poker matches with MTG pros to see what sort of skills are transferable between the games. One thing I picked up was counting outs as the game is progressing and using that data to take risks.

A good example of that is playing my Yore-Tiller Control deck versus GR Ramp. I can't win the game very quickly so the game starts to get suuuper grindy. Knowing your opponent has 0 lands left in their deck(and in fact you know exactly what cards to worry about due to Infinite Obliteration) is really scary when you have to decide whether to hold up a spell or cast removal/a threat on a key turn.

"If I cast Tasigur here and my opponent has the 3rd Ugin what happens, what if it's Nissa..." etc

Makes for super interesting games, at least. The last time I played against GR Ramp I was super mana-restricted(only 3 lands in the third game after seeing the top 22 cards), which only makes the puzzle more fascinating. Casting the Crackling Doom from your hand vs with Jace and what that means, etc. This is what makes good games of magic and why I love playing decks with wider decision trees when I can.[/QUOTE]

My best matches of Magic ever was when I did this while playing Esper Control during last year's Standard. Matchups against UW Control were super intense because the decks were largely the same. I miss that deck so much.

Now that I'm only playing EDH, most of my decks are built to be very complex with large decision trees.

Only problem is, I am a very slow thinker....

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185698673]A while back I started watching old poker matches with MTG pros to see what sort of skills are transferable between the games. One thing I picked up was counting outs as the game is progressing and using that data to take risks.

Makes for super interesting games, at least. The last time I played against GR Ramp I was super mana-restricted(only 3 lands in the third game after seeing the top 22 cards), which only makes the puzzle more fascinating. Casting the Crackling Doom from your hand vs with Jace and what that means, etc. This is what makes good games of magic and why I love playing decks with wider decision trees when I can.[/QUOTE]

Interestingly this is something that I found came naturally to me when I binged on the Pokemon TCG Online last month. For whatever reason I found myself naturally inclined to try and keep track. I think it was a combination of the radically increased card draw in that game (and how both players filter through their deck much faster) and the linear restrictions of the evolution mechanic

Have they indicated any interest in continuing to do GDSs?

Both previous instances resulted in the hiring of 3+ long-term R&D members so they've considered them a huge success. Rosewater always says that they'd do a GDS3 when they have an actual open slot for a designer that they don't fill internally/via referral.

ACE 1991

So the first order of business should be getting a playset of Mox Opals. right? I'm running a budget affinity deck.

God damn, this card game is fucking expensive.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So the first order of business should be getting a playset of Mox Opals. right? I'm running a budget affinity deck.

Modern Affinity is only a little bit more expensive than the most popular Standard deck.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I feel like the Commander decks from last year were like dramatically better than the ones this year in terms of just having generally useful or fun cards. I bought all of them last year and broke them up into other decks and actually used tons of cards from the decks. This year it doesn't seem like many of the random cards are useful in anything other than their own theme decks, e.g. the BW one has that random Enchantment theme.

ultron87

Yeah, probably. It lets you get out a turn faster generally, lets you cut a few lands, and ups your artifact count. This is all very good for Affinity. I think the priority would be something like Mox Opal -> Arcbound Ravager -> Inkmoth Nexus. You don't necessarily have to get all 4 at once for any of these, since a single one in the deck will still help out.

Angry Grimace

Which is exactly why I want to invest in modern and not the standard treadmill. Still though, I'll need to spend about $650 to complete the deck.

I would still think the first order of business is Arcbound Ravager.

OnPoint

I feel like the Commander decks from last year were like dramatically better than the ones this year in terms of just having generally useful or fun cards. I bought all of them last year and broke them up into other decks and actually used tons of cards from the decks. This year it doesn't seem like many of the random cards are useful in anything other than their own theme decks, e.g. the BW one has that random Enchantment theme.

My big problem with them is that they're still $35 and not back to $30. Didn't they make a big deal about pushing them to $35 last year because they included a ton of awesome playable stuff? Like Wurmcoil Engine? This year has nothing like that.

bigkrev

Did the commander products last year include 3 oversized cards, or just 1? I could have sworn they included 3, and this years product only included 1.

Angry Grimace

My big problem with them is that they're still $35 and not back to $30. Didn't they make a big deal about pushing them to $35 last year because they included a ton of awesome playable stuff? Like Wurmcoil Engine? This year has nothing like that.

Yeah, last year I looked at the list and thought a ton of the cards looked like a blast in casual play so I bought one this year assuming it was the same shit and then was like "oh its all Doomwake Giants and shit"

Did the commander products last year include 3 oversized cards, or just 1? I could have sworn they included 3, and this years product only included 1.

Nope, just the one. I usually throw those away.

Three the first two years, just the top line general starting last year. In exchange they come with tokens now which is definitely a positive trade to my mind.

traveler

Not Wario
I'd actually like to see a take on lotr. It would actually feel pretty fresh concept wise for the game, despite being overdone elsewhere. Dwarves and orcs barely have any presence in mtg, and most elves don't fall into the Tolkien camp. Even straightforward wide brim hat and staff wizards are a rarity.

bigkrev

Aren't Opals cheaper now than usual though?

Opal is cheaper now, and is probably the smarter short term buy. We probably will not see a reprint of Opal again for a long time, while Ravager is something that will likely be back again in the next Modern Masters.

OnPoint

Orcs had a presence on Tarkir. Zurgo is one of the best orcs in years. They just did a poor job making anyone realize that or making them important.

Angry Grimace

Opal is cheaper now, and is probably the smarter short term buy. We probably will not see a reprint of Opal again for a long time, while Ravager is something that will likely be back again in the next Modern Masters.

I would be willing to bet Opal is in the next Modern Masters also.

Angry Grimace

I could buy that doing it annually would deplete design space for the product since you want to have the 10-archetype thing going without just randomly being like "UB is Faeries again"

Maybe we get to roll the Planar Die again this year haha

kirblar

The off-year product has to start doing more reprints. There are too many for MM now, and the new Standard rotation makes a lot of the non-land ones hard to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom