• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

Pretty sure Sarkhan is done for a while. I bet they bring him back when they fight and/or take out Bolas finally. I do agree he is more RG than anything else. The blue makes zero sense.

I think it makes sense in the context of the block - "guy uses his strong will and time travel to reshape the world into what he considers perfection" is pretty much as blue as you can get, philosophically. But I agree he'll probably just be RG in the future; his U and B days are over.

noquarter

How do dfc foil cards work? Is it foil on both sides? If so, how does it bend?
Yeah, they are foil on both sides. Not really sure they bend at all. I've had one sitting out for like a year now and it hasn't bent any. The rest I keep in a binder to help keep then from bending.

Santiako

Yeah, they are foil on both sides. Not really sure they bend at all. I've had one sitting out for like a year now and it hasn't bent any. The rest I keep in a binder to help keep then from bending.
Makes sense, probably both sides' bending counteract each other.

Ashodin

I got a surprise

fKIxrMo.jpg

What is it

Wulfric

Commander decks? Octopus tokens? I dunno man, what's in the box Ashodin!?

I can't wait to cast Tragic Slip on Ulamog once Shadows hits. You know, if he actually sees play in standard by then...

Ashodin

New Commander deck.

Speaking of, I did make that Noyan Dar deck.

1 Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper

Planar Cleansing
Return to Dust
Think Twice
Jace Beleren
Azorius Chancery
Mindbreak Trap
Azorius Signet
Counterspell
Rewind
Sejiri Refuge
Tolaria West
Path to Exile
Time Warp
Dragonlord Ojutai
Roil Elemental
Archaeomancer
Terramorphic Expanse
Twincast
Blighted Cataract
Terra Eternal
Blinkmoth Nexus
Tranquil Cove
Whispersilk Cloak
Hixus, Prison Warden
Expedition Map
Serum Visions
Mind Stone
Levitation
Brainstorm
Temple of Enlightenment
Reality Shift
Rapid Hybridization
Cancel
Lighthouse Chronologist
Living Lore
Anticipate
Bant Panorama
Frantic Search
Reliquary Tower
Ponder
Glacial Fortress
Disdainful Stroke
Hallowed Moonlight
Halimar Tidecaller
Mizzium Meddler
Monastery Siege
Ajani Goldmane
Hallowed Fountain
Abzan Falconer
Telling Time
Rite of Replication
Hindering Light
Remand
Esper Panorama
Aven Mimeomancer
Alhammarret's Archive
Negate
Arcane Denial
Treasure Hunt
Hedron Archive
Treasure Cruise
Kederekt Leviathan
Aligned Hedron Network
Clutch of Currents
Celestial Colonnade
Flooded Strand
Roil Spout
Illusionist's Bracers
Coat of Arms
Breaking Wave
Planar Outburst
Evolving Wilds
Condemn
Tragic Arrogance
Quicken
Scatter the Winds
Coastal Discovery
Dissolve
Halimar Depths

Some islands and plains

Genryu

Banned
So I have a question that I couldn't find a real simple answer to.

Leonin Iconoclast's heroic lets you destroy an Enchantment Creature that an opponent controls, and I'm wondering whether or not Enchantments made into creatures through Opalescence/Starfield of Nyx would count, or even creatures made into enchantments with Enchanted Evening.

I'm assuming it does work because Enchantment Creature is not it's own specific thing, it's just an Enchantment and a Creature.

So I have a question that I couldn't find a real simple answer to.

Leonin Iconoclast's heroic lets you destroy an Enchantment Creature that an opponent controls, and I'm wondering whether or not Enchantments made into creatures through Opalescence/Starfield of Nyx would count, or even creatures made into enchantments with Enchanted Evening.

I'm assuming it does work because Enchantment Creature is not it's own specific thing, it's just an Enchantment and a Creature.

An enchantment that is a creature is an enchantment creature, and a creature that is an enchantment is also an enchantment creature.

Firemind

Damn it. Brussels is this weekend? But I don't have a standard deck lying around...
nor time to go but that's another story.

Edit: LOL €50 entry fee. €60 if you didn't preregister online. Bugger off.

ultron87

Really loving this deck, with the right draws it can be pretty competitive against waaaay more expensive/higher tier decks: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-84-6-tix-modern-uw-tempered-steel

If you were to drop cash on it to make it closer to a bonafide affinity deck, what would be the most important addition? Mox Opals?

That article does a pretty good breakdown. I agree that Opals and Arcbound Ravagers are the big ones. But also the most expensive.

Opal lets your draws be so much more explosive. 2 mana on turn 1 is just huge, especially if you're on the play so you can stick a Cranial Plating or Ensoul Artifact before they have any mana up. Ravager lets you kill them out of nowhere and makes their removal so much worse.

For other options, I probably wouldn't get Inkmoth Nexii till you have the Ravagers, because shifting counters to it for the Infect kill is where a ton of the utility comes from. Cranial Plating on it is still pretty strong though.

I think Master of Etherium is a solid pick up that isn't that expensive and does good work. It is a huge attacker that also does the same job as the Tempered Steel. So with your particular version of the deck it is actually better than normal Affinity since the Tempered Steel version runs more creatures to get pumped.

Spellskite is just a good card to get in general.

Jhriad

Okay, so I signed up for the Pucatrade Secret Santa and just got my match today. His SS wishlist consists of, "I like (Questing) Phelddagrifs and cube staples." I have never played cube so I have no idea what would be considered "cube staples." Any tips from anyone as to where to start?

ACE 1991

That article does a pretty good breakdown. I agree that Opals and Arcbound Ravagers are the big ones. But also the most expensive.

Opal lets your draws be so much more explosive. 2 mana on turn 1 is just huge, especially if you're on the play so you can stick a Cranial Plating or Ensoul Artifact before they have any mana up. Ravager lets you kill them out of nowhere and makes their removal so much worse.

For other options, I probably wouldn't get Inkmoth Nexii till you have the Ravagers, because shifting counters to it for the Infect kill is where a ton of the utility comes from. Cranial Plating on it is still pretty strong though.

I think Master of Etherium is a solid pick up that isn't that expensive and does good work. It is a huge attacker that also does the same job as the Tempered Steel. So with your particular version of the deck it is actually better than normal Affinity since the Tempered Steel version runs more creatures to get pumped.

Spellskite is just a good card to get in general.

Thanks for the tips! What would you take out Etherium for? Should I get a playset?

ultron87

Thanks for the tips! What would you take out Etherium for? Should I get a playset?

My initial thought is swapping it in for the Myr Enforcers, since it'll serve a similar "big attacker" role. It should be at least a 4/4 most of the time. Having not played with that version of the deck I'm not sure how much losing the potential to play a 4/4 for 1 or 2 mana will hurt it.

You probably don't need a playset. The most I'd ever run is 3. Some decks don't run any. For the Affinity 3 drop slot things are more towards Etched Champion right now.

Hero

Okay, so I signed up for the Pucatrade Secret Santa and just got my match today. His SS wishlist consists of, "I like (Questing) Phelddagrifs and cube staples." I have never played cube so I have no idea what would be considered "cube staples." Any tips from anyone as to where to start?

Go to mtgsalvation forums, they have a Cube forum and in there they have a post of the most commonly played cards in every section that they take from all the users that post their cube lists. I would link but I'm on mobile. Kind of hard to know what to buy without seeing what he already has but typically Cube owners love pimp/foil or alternate art cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Would Containment Priest be really horrible if it were in Modern?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185325788]Speaking of Commander, putting Batterskull on Marit Lage is a pretty good stabilizer.

draft2qnpbp.png
[/QUOTE]

Can you post your EDH list again (the tokens one?) I have a Tokens Modern deck but I have a lot of extra cards from it and almost all of it would probably work just fine in a EDH deck.

I like the arrows cockatrice uses. Makes combat look cool.

draft2bhogy.png

This weekend's Yore-Tiller decklist:

Can you post your EDH list again (the tokens one?) I have a Tokens Modern deck but I have a lot of extra cards from it and almost all of it would probably work just fine in a EDH deck.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180779720&postcount=4771

I'm starting to agree with ElyrionX that I need a bit more ramp, though. Mox Diamond would be nice...

There aren't a bunch of spells above the 3-4 mana range, but playing a bunch of spells in the same turn after you go off with Skullclamp is what lets you keep up with other EDH decks.

ultron87

One of my friends was looking through old cards and showed me a classically bad one I hadn't seen before:

Image.ashx

I love it. The team making it was like "Woah woah woah guys, if it just had cumulative upkeep it'd be so broken. Let's make it so if you can't even play lands or anything else."

Wichu

Just 4-0ed a pretty competitive Duel Commander FNM with fucking Dragon tribal.

This is my Timmy-ass casual deck that plays crap like Balefire Dragon, Kilnmouth Dragon, and Utvara Hellkite.

I don't understand how the hell it rolled over Liliana goodstuff, 5C Lab Maniac combo, Karador combo, and Grand Arbiter control.

I won a game with the Crucible of Fire buff.

What.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185358287]I like the arrows cockatrice uses. Makes combat look cool.

draft2bhogy.png

This weekend's Yore-Tiller decklist:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180779720&postcount=4771

I'm starting to agree with ElyrionX that I need a bit more ramp, though. Mox Diamond would be nice...

There aren't a bunch of spells above the 3-4 mana range, but playing a bunch of spells in the same turn after you go off with Skullclamp is what lets you keep up with other EDH decks.[/QUOTE]
Bold man heading out to standard with no valorous stance in tow. Seems solid, but very mushy to mega morph and abzan.

Bold man heading out to standard with no valorous stance in tow. Seems solid, but very mushy to mega morph and abzan.

I haven't lost to those decks yet so I'm crossing my fingers. I would like to pick up a Virulent Plague and Infinite Obliteration for the board though.

Valorous Stance is good at killing Anafenza, but otherwise it's not really something I need that bad. I might make a last minute swap with the Ob Nixilis to move Crux maindeck. He ends games, but I have to be so certain he's gonna stick around before I cast him.

Firemind

Just 4-0ed a pretty competitive Duel Commander FNM with fucking Dragon tribal.

This is my Timmy-ass casual deck that plays crap like Balefire Dragon, Kilnmouth Dragon, and Utvara Hellkite.

I don't understand how the hell it rolled over Liliana goodstuff, 5C Lab Maniac combo, Karador combo, and Grand Arbiter control.

I won a game with the Crucible of Fire buff.

What.
Congrats! They're not crap though if you play Zirilan. You're more brave than me, since I've never even considered him for Duel Commander. I was kind of edging towards Xenagos or Keranos, but hm. Zirilan could work.
Please don't tell me you use Karrthus.

Wichu

Congrats! They're not crap though if you play Zirilan. You're more brave than me, since I've never even considered him for Duel Commander. I was kind of edging towards Xenagos or Keranos, but hm. Zirilan could work.
Please don't tell me you use Karrthus.

I'm doing it properly and using an original Elder Dragon. There's a reason I have this avatar ;)

Firemind

I'm doing it properly and using an original Elder Dragon. There's a reason I have this avatar ;)
Haha, good show! My mate uses him only because he shares his name with him, but he uses a more controlling route to victory. Dragon tribal is certainly a new spin to it!

Edit: Screw it, I'm going to use my favourite legendary creature of all time as my duel commander. What have you unleashed? ;-;

traveler

Not Wario
Going to be playing Esper Control at a PPTQ tomorrow- any tips on how to reduce the number of draws I'll be taking? I don't really like the dragon bent due to vulnerability to Crackling Doom and I'm already running a couple Ugins. Not really sure what else I can do other than play fast.

Going to be playing Esper Control at a PPTQ tomorrow- any tips on how to reduce the number of draws I'll be taking? I don't really like the dragon bent due to vulnerability to Crackling Doom and I'm already running a couple Ugins. Not really sure what else I can do other than play fast.
Planning out your turns during your opponent's helps cut down time. You could always side in dragons or tasigur as a concession to the clock if you're running into time issues consistently.

traveler

Not Wario
Good ideas. I'm definitely going to have some number of dragons/tasigurs in the board.

Wondering how good....

-Alhammaret would be against ramp, naming Ulamog or, if I've obliterated, naming Ugin. If I name Ulamog, the only way for them to get rid of him is to cast and resolve an Ugin who has to -7, killing himself. If I've obliterated, I can just name Ugin and stop them from doing anything.

-Blight Herder would be in the mirror. The process is pretty much guaranteed with all the digs and utter ends flying about, and since it's an on cast trigger, they won't be able to stop the 3 1/1s. Not a huge clock, but given that they'll have sided out their sweepers, it won't be easy to deal with them efficiently. Still requires a pretty big tapout, though. Monastery Mentor may just be plain better, despite being vulnerable to countermagic and ultimate price.

-Silumgar the drifting death may just be a good all purpose answer that gets through my opponents removal, kills tokens, and blocks quite well. Maybe innovation isn't the right idea.

Joe Molotov

-Alhammaret would be against ramp, naming Ulamog or, if I've obliterated, naming Ugin. If I name Ulamog, the only way for them to get rid of him is to cast and resolve an Ugin who has to -7, killing himself. If I've obliterated, I can just name Ugin and stop them from doing anything.

I'm not a control player, but a 7 mana counter for Ulamog doesn't seem like a great plan. What's wrong with Disdainful Stroke?

traveler

Not Wario
I'm not a control player, but a 7 mana counter for Ulamog doesn't seem like a great plan. What's wrong with Disdainful Stroke?

I would prefer for them not to cast the Ulamog at all, as I don't really like getting my stuff exiled. If countering it is enough, I have the Ojutai's.

The 7 mana point is relevant, though- I'd liked the idea that the sphinx could serve as a clock when the deck is so low on them, but the likelihood of me getting to 7 before they get to Ulamog is so low I don't think it's worth it. I'll just 1 oblit and hand disruption. I think bringing in Monastery Mentors for the matchup should work well enough on the clock front.

Hackworth

Hey people. I keep getting focused down and blown up in EDH.
Is Keranos or Nin a better UR Commander in that context or should I just go Firemind and break stuff?

Hackworth

What does it do? Your deck.
Got two decks right now: one is Zedruu Enchantments, one is Sigarda Voltron. Played them both today in four player pods.

Zedruu's goal is pillowfort with politics, Sigarda is bolt knives to the angel and swing for commander damage.

I had like four games today where the entire table hated me down so badly I couldn't play (Zedruu took removal from multiple targets so I couldn't donate anything good or bad and get my card draw+lifegain set up, Sigarda had the entire table try chipping me down at once before I got an equip out), so I'm breaking down at least Zedruu and making an entirely new deck.

I'm just looking for deck suggestions.

Firemind

Tbh none of the u/r commanders except jhoira actually lets you dominate a multiplayer focused free for all game. jhoira is kind of lame though. You can win with firemind if they leave you alone, but that pretty much depends on your play group. if you tune it and get the pieces, you can pretty much win on the spot, but i'm not sure if that's what you want.

there are also a ton of other fun commanders, most of them being three colour. again it depends on what you find fun to do.

Firemind

True story.

Just this week I discovered there's a creature in Avacyn Restored that soulbonds the Ophidian/Curiosity ability. I said wow, Avacyn Restored must have been truly shit for me to not have known about it before.

Hackworth

I might veer hard and make something in Esper actually.
I've owned Sydri, Galvanic Genius, for like a year but not gotten to building stuff with her yet.
March of the Machines plus Propaganda plus Mycosynth Lattice shuts a game down, and I can probably self mill into Open the Vaults, right?

Actually I might just grab all my Esper potential combos and see how many of them fit in a deck.

Wulfric

Anyone have some favorite G/W commanders? Honestly, I'm just trying to make use of my one Savannah and rotated Abzan deck. I was thinking of a Gaddock Teeg permission style deck with Thalia/Aven Mindcensor, or maybe Rhys the Redeemed elves.

Matriox

Anyone have some favorite G/W commanders? Honestly, I'm just trying to make use of my one Savannah and rotated Abzan deck. I was thinking of a Gaddock Teeg permission style deck with Thalia/Aven Mindcensor, or maybe Rhys the Redeemed elves.
Lady-Caleria.jpg

Serious answer, Voltron Sigarda, but if you play it crazy enough you'll get targeted.

I'm a big fan of Trostani, but I'm admitably biased in that regard.

Santiako

I played on Cockatrice against a Karametra Landfall deck that was terrifying and looked really fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom