• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";186628967]They should have used the Wastes mechanic in BFZ instead of Devoid. Gets the confusion out of the way earlier, and means you don't have to have weird colored creatures that are actually colorless nonsense. That way you can also power up some of the Eldrazi cards since <> is harder to cast than (1).

Nettle Drone 1<>R

T: Nettle Drone deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

Whenever you cast a spell with <> in its mana cost, untap Nettle Drone.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";186629903]Then make it cost <> instead of G, or just bring back Tribal to make it all nice and easy for God's sake. If you can't use Tribal for the Ally vs Eldrazi set then I don't know when you can.[/QUOTE]
114.gif

This block. This fucking block.

Isn't the original Clash the same thing?

I like how strictly-worse-than-Syncopate, and strictly worser than Condescend, and strictly worstest than Power Sink is a staple playable.

The flavour makes it sound like Jace is having a tough time, dunno if that's better. Counters used to have great art once.

49.jpg

I wonder during Kamigawa did they ever consider making legendary instants? Could made it so that no 2 copies of a legendary instant can be on the stack at once.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still don't get the problem with devoid. It's seriously baffling how much it upsets some of you guys.

It's probably because its meaningless 99% of the time. Removing Protection and adding in Devoid at the same time is just baffling.

It's probably because its meaningless 99% of the time. Removing Protection and adding in Devoid at the same time is just baffling.

But it isn't meaningless. Mechanically, there are many cards in BfZ that care about colorless things. More importantly, it acts as a flavor indicator for a connection to the Eldrazi. If the rumors are true that Emrakul will be invading Innistrad in SOI, then I expect that the latter will be more relevant.

And should I take the avatar change to mean anything, or is it just some avatar bet?

ultron87

I think it succeeds in Limited where it does matter quite a bit. It, especially with the card frame, sets up the division between the Eldrazi and Zendikar stuff reasonably well. Sure, it'd be the same thing if it everything just had the Eldrazi sub type instead, but hey they don't like Tribal anymore.

I think if all goes well I should get to play my cube twice this thanksgiving week. Happening tomorrow for sure it looks like, with a chance of it happening Thursday night (4 player, going to try doing a 4 player grid draft of it)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
But it isn't meaningless. Mechanically, there are many cards in BfZ that care about colorless things. More importantly, it acts as a flavor indicator for a connection to the Eldrazi. If the rumors are true that Emrakul will be invading Innistrad in SOI, then I expect that the latter will be more relevant.

And should I take the avatar change to mean anything, or is it just some avatar bet?

I lost a bet whether Sheamus O'Shaunessy would win the title at WWE Survivor Series.

The only reason its actually relevant is making Ultimate Price vaguely worse even though what actually makes Ultimate Price worse is Mantis Rider and Siege Rhino being the best cards. Being just flavor but simultaneously confusing sucks.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDAokTDT-eM

Forsythe interview from Desert Bus

Highlights so far- wants Squirrels back, thinks BFZ is definitely over the line complexity-wise, Devoid is definitely an issue (colored artifacts are a big mental block for people)

I am still surprised people are saying BFZ is too complex. I mean, I have issues with the set but complexity is not one of them. I guess Devoid being a bit confusing and Eldrazi Scions being a smoother thing to get used to if you played ROE are issues? But like, Allies and Awaken are not particularly difficult to understand

Firemind

I am still surprised people are saying BFZ is too complex. I mean, I have issues with the set but complexity is not one of them. I guess Devoid being a bit confusing and Eldrazi Scions being a smoother thing to get used to if you played ROE are issues? But like, Allies and Awaken are not particularly difficult to understand
Putting exiled cards into graveyards is. I don't really understand the flavour either.

The Technomancer

Putting exiled cards into graveyards is. I don't really understand the flavour either.

The chain of logic makes sense
"We want to use exiled cards as a resource, and we know hard thresholds like...Threshold are swingy"
"We don't want to actually make the RFTFGF zone, so..."
"So they go from exile to the graveyard"

The problem is that they should have questioned if what they wanted to do had a high enough benefit to bother with that. And man...I think processing totally could have, but it didn't really

Angry Grimace

The chain of logic makes sense
"We want to use exiled cards as a resource, and we know hard thresholds like...Threshold are swingy"
"We don't want to actually make the RFTFGF zone, so..."
"So they go from exile to the graveyard"

The problem is that they should have questioned if what they wanted to do had a high enough benefit to bother with that. And man...I think processing totally could have, but it didn't really

Processing works fine, in my opinion. I have no real issue with how it works mechanically, it just isn't supported as well in the limited environment as I think they think it is.

The Technomancer

Actually why didn't they do this? I suddenly had this idea I like a lot:

"When CARDNAME deals damage to a player exile the top two cards of that players library from the game face up"

"When CARDNAME 2 enters the battlefield turn two face up cards an opponent controls in exile face down: do a thing"

kirblar

There's way, way, way, way too much half-baked stuff going on.

Allies, Exile-matters, Ingest, Devoid, Giant Eldrazi, Sac themes, landfall, basic landfall, converge, Awaken. And then you have cards that cross polinate like a Converge Ally.

The Allies play badly, they made a huge mistake by making most of them Stonework Pumas.

"When CARDNAME deals damage to a player exile the top two cards of that players library from the game face up"

"When CARDNAME 2 enters the battlefield turn two face up cards an opponent controls in exile face down: do a thing"

I'm pretty sure MaRo specifically brought up turning exiled things face down as a potential way to implement processing that they looked into in either an article or Blogatog, but they didn't like it. I think the issue is that keeping track of whether exiled things are face up or face down is just something people don't expect to have to keep track of, just like graveyard order, so they prefer not to reference that. Doing it that way would produce an additional pile of cards anyway, which is part of the issue with creating an additional zone.

ultron87

It feels so disjointed because they went heavy on segmenting the draft archetypes. They didn't make Shadow Glider an ally because they wanted that to be best in Blue/White and not get snapped up by the ally decks. Only some of the Eldrazi have ingest because they want to make sure some are available for the Blue Black deck but leave others that just have devoid for the Blue Red and Red Black decks. But then it gets confusing because one of the straight up best cards for Red Black (Vile Aggregate) has Ingest and you're just like whaaat?

kirblar

The new Allies are Mark fixing a problem that didn't exist. They're supposed to be parasitic.

Cards exist where face up/down is mechanically relevant when they're in exile.

Angry Grimace

I feel like the new allies are too expensive for their effects. Like the RW Angel needs to be 1 colorless less.

Tajuru Warcaller is the only one that ever ends up doing anything in my experience

The Technomancer

The new Allies are Mark fixing a problem that didn't exist. They're supposed to be parasitic.

Cards exist where face up/down is mechanically relevant when they're in exile.

Yeah like, a handful of them, it would only really be a problem in casual eternal formats. I guess I buy the tracking thing

I always appreciate how Forsythe is, like... a real person, lol. Rosewater's answers on things like "let's do Kamigawa again!" are so on-message and absolutist that it's nice to someone be frank and say "yeah that's actually a very good idea, we just can't sell it business-wise." Some real serious self-awareness there about why sequels are so problematic too -- curious to see if we see anything reflected in SOI to deal with some of the issues we have in BFZ.

I feel like the Allies are still on the more successful side of the mechanics in the set. The biggest problem with them is the visibility (skipping the watermark was an enormous mistake), I don't think the Rally structure is a huge issue in comparison.

Ashodin

You absolutely can't look at return to other planes and sets as "This would be great to revisit old stuff and make it better" because you have to figure out the cost to try to hype up the stuff. Nostalgia sells itself, while hatred for things old and ancient and terrible (Homelands) would be hard to overcome. You'd basically have to make an entirely new set that just basically shits all over the original cards, power-wise. I think they'll eventually go back to Ulgrotha; it will just take many many years so players can forget about Homelands (which I'm not sure they can, if ever). The problem being there's always a list of "BEST/WORST X" and Homelands always takes the Worst spot.

And oh I love the new Allies mixed with old Allies in my Modern Allies deck. I still need to tweak it as it did kinda poorly at my FNM Modern tourney.

I love the archetype so much I'm eager to see what comes out of OGW.

Firemind

I mean, which return set/block is actually better design-wise?

Coldsnap? Sucked.
Scars of Mirrodin? It brought us Infect.
Return to Ravnica? Not bloody likely.
Battle for Zendikar? HAHAHAHA.

Ashodin

Coldsnap was really cool, and a great end to the Ice Age.

edit: redoing some older border cards for consistency in borders in my commander decks:

MpIn1wc.png
B2ygZ1l.png
Yy4golL.png
VxCzEYz.png
Lb3hRNY.png

Angry Grimace

Yeah like, a handful of them, it would only really be a problem in casual eternal formats. I guess I buy the tracking thing

It's one of those fake problems that MaRo rings his hands about because none of the Ingest cards are particularly good so you're only really worrying about it in BFZ/OGW limited.

The Technomancer

Scars of Mirrodin is easily the best revisit they've done so far, and a good block overall. RTR was just meh, and I'm down on BFZ so...that's not a great trend

I hesitate to blame too much on the contracted design schedule since I think there are some fundamental conceptual issues with the set regardless of the amount of time they have but the worry about Allies being too parasitic is almost certainly a result of them realizing they didn't have time to develop a format that included them in such a form.

Minor random opinion: I kind of hate cards that say ______ you control have +x/+y and effect themselves. I'd rather they had the word "other" and just had the x/y incorporated into their base stats. On the other hand, ______ you control have haste (or other keyword) don't bother me when they effect themselves.

Angry Grimace

Minor random opinion: I kind of hate cards that say ______ you control have +x/+y and effect themselves. I'd rather they had the word "other" and just had the x/y incorporated into their base stats. On the other hand, ______ you control have haste (or other keyword) don't bother me when they effect themselves.

They actually do use the latter wording when it works now.

Pe4Vkga.jpg
K4pVux9.png

Not to mention most modern "Lords" work the way you're suggesting - Chief of the Edge, Chief of the Scale, Risen Executioner, etc.

Also see
vAMFqkd.jpg
vs
Image.ashx

Ashodin

I don't know what the fuck the humans were turning into in Scourge, the clerics were beings of light, and the soldiers were silver golems

Ashodin

like seriously what the fuck is going on here

daruspiritualist.jpg
exileddoomsayer.jpg
frontlinestrategist.jpg

This was the best card in the set imo

edgewalker.jpg

holy shit I need to make a modern deck around clerics

I mean, which return set/block is actually better design-wise?

It's either SOM or RTR depending on your criteria. SOM's the best set/block of all the options, though many of its best parts are new elements unique to the return and it falls down on some fundamental aspects of being a return set by virtue of attempting to steer clear of MIR's broken qualities. RTR has an awful set in DGM, but if you take just the first two sets it's a competent revisit that introduces a number of good new mechanics and cards and had at least one (RTRx3) really good limited environment.

Coldsnap is a really bad set, but it's a really bad set by virtue of trying to do a dumb thing (make a standalone-draftable small set) in service of revisiting a terrible in retrospect block (Ice Age.) Inasmuch as it was janky and weird and full of gartbagey cards that was a pretty accurate recreation of the Ice Age experience. Similarly, the core problem with BFZ was trying to return to two different things at once -- ZEN (which they actually did a pretty solid job of) and ROE (which they fucked up on a very conceptual level.)

The secret correct answer is Time Spiral

I hesitate to blame too much on the contracted design schedule since I think there are some fundamental conceptual issues with the set regardless of the amount of time they have

Conceptual problems with Magic sets are almost always the result of time issues, though. A lot of the best blocks have a backstory like "we had this tough problem, but then someone had a great idea of how to crack it early on and we never looked back!" while a lot of the problematic blocks have a backstory like "we had this tough problem, and didn't hit on a solution until the last minute." Because they have a completely inflexible schedule, a set that wastes 3+ months of design before anyone figures out the right approach to take just can't ever make that back up, and the development team winds up patching holes when they should be assembling a fun limited/Standard environment; BFZ had that exact problem plus made it worse with the 3 sets -> 2 sets switch.

like seriously what the fuck is going on here

I call Onslaught the creative nadir of Magic for a reason. It's the period where they had a top-down corporate requirement to pursue "magepunk" (i.e. ludicrous edgy nonsense designed to appeal to twelve-year-olds), the period of the "people from under the white sun" approach to setting design where every plane had exactly five human and five humanoid races that were all tediously on-color, and the period where they were obsessively pursuing foolish-in-retrospect "ideas" like eliminating merfolk and sea creatures because "lol how would they fight on the land??!!" The terrible Mirari-mutation design in Onslaught block, where each of the eight tribes transformed into some kind of bizarre and hideous thing over the course of the three sets, is really just a manifestation of all those bad ideas shoved into one place.

traveler

Not Wario
You absolutely can't look at return to other planes and sets as "This would be great to revisit old stuff and make it better" because you have to figure out the cost to try to hype up the stuff. Nostalgia sells itself, while hatred for things old and ancient and terrible (Homelands) would be hard to overcome. You'd basically have to make an entirely new set that just basically shits all over the original cards, power-wise. I think they'll eventually go back to Ulgrotha; it will just take many many years so players can forget about Homelands (which I'm not sure they can, if ever). The problem being there's always a list of "BEST/WORST X" and Homelands always takes the Worst spot.

And oh I love the new Allies mixed with old Allies in my Modern Allies deck. I still need to tweak it as it did kinda poorly at my FNM Modern tourney.

I love the archetype so much I'm eager to see what comes out of OGW.

They have to make an entirely new set, regardless of the quality of the original set. It's why I'm not any more excited about the return to Innistrad, despite it being my favorite set (and probably plane as well) of all time. Nothing is guaranteed on the card quality front, just like this return or the return to Ravnica or the return to Mirrodin. If anything, their record with returns- and the mentality it seems to make them bring- has me LESS excited than I'd feel if they were tackling a brand new set or trying to come at a plane that failed from a new angle. At least there they wouldn't be trying to get lightning to strike twice in a similar way.

The Technomancer

I love Coldsnap. Its dumb and bad and the kind of thing they never would do today and probably shouldn't but goddamn I love that stupid little set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom