• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would recommend any player picking up sets of Fetches and Shocks if they want to play any non-standard format.
Do you think a 2 color deck in modern could function with just fetches, tangos, and basics? Skipping shocks would have the added benefit of being aggro resistant.

If you play Blood Moon, yes. Blue Moon only plays two Steam Vents.

I'm just planning to make budget G/W aggro made with stuff I own from standard and cheap good additions like Loxodon Smiter and Qasali Pridemage.
EDIT: Speaking of which, for one drops, is Experiment One, Dryad militant, or Warden of the First Tree best? I'm thinking I'll probably have some of each but I only have 8-10 slots so they can't all be 4-ofs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I would recommend any player picking up sets of Fetches and Shocks if they want to play any non-standard format.
Very few modern decks plays a playset of shocklands and in Legacy you just play ABUDuals.

It's just not necessary and stuff like Choke and Blood Moon get gross if you run too many. I play 2 Steam Vents in Twin right now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think I can assemble Jund by July of 2019 at this rate of getting one expensive card every other month. Good for MM2015 for existing though so I don't have to be concerned by fake Tarmogoyfs.

OnPoint

I think I can assemble Jund by July of 2019 at this rate of getting one expensive card every other month. Good for MM2015 for existing though so I don't have to be concerned by fake Tarmogoyfs.

I'm only one short of them myself. I should probably get around to picking that 4th one up.

Just got my asskicked twice in a row to Jeskai black with my ultrabudget BR Dragons.
I seriously need to upgrade to Thundebreak Regents and some kolaghan's command.

Ashodin

awwwwwwwwwww yeah I got the crazy omnath combo off

217.jpg
out

Played
209.jpg
into
136.jpg

Sickening amount of elemental tokens.

Just realized that white instant would ruin me

So Rosewater did a podcast this week about how Magic has changed in the last twenty years. I was trying to think of what single card you could show to someone twenty years ago to blow their minds most effectively, but I think Kozilek 2 might just be it. 😂

Also:

Blogatog said:
howler13 asked: Can you share any insight as to why Dwarves fell out of favor and/or what has kept them out of the game for nearly 13 years?

There was a person who was a major player on the creative team that didn’t like Dwarves and kept steering worlds away from using them. That person is no longer on the creative team.

I guess Brady Dommermuth was the dwarf hater.

Crocodile

So Rosewater did a podcast this week about how Magic has changed in the last twenty years. I was trying to think of what single card you could show to someone twenty years ago to blow their minds most effectively, but I think Kozilek 2 might just be it. 😂

I'd go with Emrakul or one of the more unique Planeswalkers like Jace TMS or Gideon Jura

Maledict

Emrakul would be my suggestion. The card is very simple on one level (every ability is explained on the card), but so totally and utterly insane power wise compared to the start of the game. I think we've even had people in this thread come back to the game and be surprised by that card.

Planeswalkers are neat, but I think they are too complicated to grasp at first sight and have a ton of rules behind them. Emrakul is the best, instant WTF card you can possibly think of.

Ashodin

Yep Emrakul, The Aeons Torn is probably one of the coolest cards. I just wish I could use it in EDH.

My next purchase from TCGPlayer:

Emrakul
Kozilek
Ulamog
Ugin
Karn Liberated

Need them all for my colorless EDH. Wastes and OGW COME TO ME

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

A card like Lightning Strike could be interesting, too—to showcase the challenge of power creep, and how the game had to change to stay healthy over 20+ years of new cards.

ElyrionX

My Mizzix Storm deck is coming along nicely but Storm is inherently a solitaire deck and the singleton nature of the format makes the deck take even longer when storming off so it's probably not the most fun deck for my opponents to play against.

Ashodin

Funnily enough my whole EDH group got blasted with Mizzix storm. Guy triggered 20 separate triggers of that dude that deals 2 when you play an instant/sorcery.

He stormed Mind's Desire 11 times.

I almost fell asleep waiting for the turn to finish and we could play another.

The rule loophole that lets you attach auras to shroud/hexproof creatures is kinda dumb yet makes Zur such a great commander.
Oh you thought your commander safe well here's a pacifism. Have fun trying to kill your indestructible commander.

I was playing my Aurelia Angels deck after finally getting the cards from the RW commander deck. Now I just need the really expensive angels. I had Restoration Angel in it until I noticed it only cares about non angels, well all my creatures are angels.

The rule where auras put onto the battlefield can be attached without targeting really doesn't feel right, and it seems like something that should have been removed back in the Magic 2010 rule changes.

Yeef

It's more an issue with the hexproof/shroud rules than anything. They'd need to work more like protection, but considering they just sidelined protection, it seems unlikely that they'd make that change.

Ashodin

I have a high concept idea for an EDH deck, one that exiles everything. Like all its effects are based around exiling, and it runs white/black to do so. Using Obzedat as the commander to utilize the effects greatly or the ghost king dude

Making sure I don't leave ideas on the table, I'm trying to build towards a new version of Jeskai Black before GP Oakland hits. I'm really focusing in on the holding up 4-mana play pattern and getting as much value out of that goal as possible.

4C Ojutai's Command Control

jeskaiblack0woq0.png

Harbinger slots right into the play pattern. Holding up 4 mana for a bounce spell + an ambush is pretty close to far//away in a lot of matchups, and it helps with some creatures that Fathom Feeder can't like Wingmate Roc tokens. Double blue is really hard early on, but with 20 blue sources hitting it on turn 4 is pretty easy. Turn 4 is also generally the earliest you play Dig Through Time.

I have a high concept idea for an EDH deck, one that exiles everything. Like all its effects are based around exiling, and it runs white/black to do so. Using Obzedat as the commander to utilize the effects greatly or the ghost king dude

Not sure if you've seen it and it might not be super reliable / high impact enough, but maybe Planar Void would be helpful?

http://magiccards.info/query?q=Planar+void&v=card&s=cname

Emrakul would be my suggestion. The card is very simple on one level (every ability is explained on the card), but so totally and utterly insane power wise compared to the start of the game. I think we've even had people in this thread come back to the game and be surprised by that card.

Yeah, my thinking behind Kozilek 2 was basically that for a 1995 player, you get all the regular stuff present on a lot of cards -- the new frame design, the color-coded expansion symbol, the unique type line, etc. -- and then all this more specific stuff -- the see-through colorless frame, the new mana symbols, the creature type "Eldrazi," being bigger than any creature printed at the time, repeatable spell countering... It's just a wall of bizarre for someone who's still being impressed by things like Jester's Cap.

I do think it does speak to the design of the Eldrazi titans, at least, that this is where all of our minds go on this question, heh.

Planeswalkers are neat, but I think they are too complicated to grasp at first sight and have a ton of rules behind them.

Yeah, the rules for planeswalkers don't follow naturally from the visual design, so I think it'd be more of a head scratcher than a real WTF.

A card like Lightning Strike could be interesting, too

I think Lightning Strike would be the card I would send back in time if I wanted someone to feel reassured that Magic was pretty much the same game twenty years later, lol.

Joe Molotov

Yeah, the rules for planeswalkers don't follow naturally from the visual design, so I think it'd be more of a head scratcher than a real WTF.

I jumped from Tempest to M15, and I opened a Liliana Vess in my prerelease sealed pool. I could tell basically what it did, but I had no idea when I could activate it's abilities, how often I could activate them, or that planeswalkers could be attacked.

Joba62x

Neo Member
Me too. I played from The Dark to Mirage, then came back for a bit when they did foils in Urzas Legacy. My current run started in Gate Crash were I opened Domri Rade in my first pool in ten years and it went straight into the unplayables pile.

Angry Grimace

My Esper Tapout control deck has performed pretty well in all of the matches in which I wasn't drunk before the match started.

I'm just saying, FNM went like this

0-2
0-2
2-1
2-0
1-1-0 (I had the win on board he stalled out to turn 5 to get the draw)

Walgreens has 40% of boosters and intros for the week. Not as good as the b1g1 from previous years, still cheaper than a box, though. Kinda hit or miss depending on stock, but they're really good with rain checks. Needs a Walgreen account / card, its free and no spam. Picked up 10 packs of Zen for 25, rain check at three other stores.

Angry Grimace

Buying or cashing prizes as BFZ is a huge mistake imo. Just get KTK. There's nothing of interest to open in BFZ other than lottery lands or Gideon (who's $30 and falling as is).

Walgreens has 40% of boosters and intros for the week. Not as good as the b1g1 from previous years, still cheaper than a box, though. Kinda hit or miss depending on stock, but they're really good with rain checks. Needs a Walgreen account / card, its free and no spam. Picked up 10 packs of Zen for 25, rain check at three other stores.

I get a 15% discount on top of that for being an employee of the local school district.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom