• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So no manlands yet?

en_uorix78qpS.png
en_pAU6hoWmuz.png

I don't understand this argument at all; 'Scry 2' is not strictly better than 'draw a card'. If you're a control/midrange deck that wants to hit land drops, it's just straight-up worse in most situations.

Read the Bones is a very strong card and fits into more decks, but Painful Truths is a much better choice in the lists that can support it.

When do you have 3 different colors available when digging for lands, what if the top 3 cards in the library aren't lands?

Even in decks that can support the converge you shouldn't underestimate the costs of having to pay 3 different colored mana.

That is a real creature with real abilities, first exciting card I've seen in awhile. Can't be chump blocked either, potentially a 7/7 but more likely a 6/6 trample , and plays defense as well.

Is this possible or a mistake? I haven't played any non-PC MTG since, hmm, probably Mercadian Masques (ugh) except for one Onslaught booster draft (great fun). Are there now ways to spend 5 different colours of mana on a 4 CMC creature? Do you get lands that you can tap for dual-mana like those weird split-mana symbols on spells or something?

Also, MTG looks fucking weird these days, 'old man yells at cloud', etc...

Is this possible or a mistake? I haven't played any non-PC MTG since, hmm, probably Mercadian Masques (ugh) except for one Onslaught booster draft (great fun). Are there now ways to spend 5 different colours of mana on a 4 CMC creature? Do you get lands that you can tap for dual-mana like those weird split-mana symbols on spells or something?

123.jpg

El Topo

I'd much rather have scry 2, draw 2, lose 2 than draw 3 (at best) lose 3 in pretty much any case tbh

Draw 2 is not great at 3CMC, even with Scry 2. It gives you a net advantage of one card, with limited control over which cards you might get. If a deck can achieve to produce three different mana at T3 with sufficient regularity, PT seems the better choice. Then again, I'm not sure if the card is in any way playable in formats where this is easy enough to achieve.

OnPoint

On one hand, Nahiri last showed up in a set that plucked characters from throughout time and space, and on the other, I think the last Uncharted Realms she showed up in implied she was basically immortal even as a neowalker.

Assuming the block Planeswalker population can handle her, odds are okay-to-goodish.

Also good waifu choice

I thought the previous mention of her, when Sorin and Ugin were talking, implied that Sorin had done something to her and/or for her that Ugin might not like. Whether she was Vamp'd or whatever.

Also, hold up a second. When Ugin and Bolas fought last in Fate Reforged, they were both old walkers right? And then Ugin took the long nap in the crazy hedron grave and woke up, and he's a neowalker now, right? And he didn't notice or remark on this change in his power and nature? Unless I'm misremembering?

Bandini

Got excited for Horribly Awry, then read it again and realized it only counters creature spells. Lame. I do love my counters.

Tried out the new MTGO Legacy cube list last night, pretty nice update. I guess they got rid of the vampires. Started drafting R/G/W then found a Force of Will on pick 5 or 6 somehow. Ended up making a UR control deck with some fun stuff. Consecrated Sphinx is too good.

It'd be a great reprint for BFZ. Doesn't fit in the number crunch though :(

Mechanically, sure, but it's too Mirrodin-flavored. Same with sunburst.

I'd like them to do something clever like that, but that seems like a neat Rosewater card, not something that would've been conjured up by the less creative development team.

Firemind

Got excited for Horribly Awry, then read it again and realized it only counters creature spells. Lame. I do love my counters.

Tried out the new MTGO Legacy cube list last night, pretty nice update. I guess they got rid of the vampires. Started drafting R/G/W then found a Force of Will on pick 5 or 6 somehow. Ended up making a UR control deck with some fun stuff. Consecrated Sphinx is too good.
Haha, I do love LSV cracking jokes about vampires in his recent MOCS legacy cube draft recording session. "They're all high-powered cards, well, with the exception of these." *hovers mouse above vampires*

I'm sad Stromkirk Noble is leaving. Such a beating especially if the opponent isn't doing anything. Goblin Glory Chaser is so much worse. Exquisite Firecraft and Abbot of Keral Keep are sweet additions though..

Dark Depths and Thespian Stage are in the cube now. And Hexmage didn't leave the cube. Kreygasm

That card is even more than ten years old.

Well, shit. I didn't think it had been that long, but it is about 13 years since I last played with actual cards.

I had to read up the rules on regeneration after playing Magic Duels Origins and being like, "Why did my guy go to the graveyard? Why didn't it let me regenerate him?" Damn kids with their fancy new rules.

Don't you have to, like, preemptively regenerate now ? I'm kind of out of the loop tbh too, stopped playing around ravnica block (basically before going to high school) and just recently picked up again

Well, shit. I didn't think it had been that long, but it is about 13 years since I last played with actual cards.

I had to read up the rules on regeneration after playing Magic Duels Origins and being like, "Why did my guy go to the graveyard? Why didn't it let me regenerate him?" Damn kids with their fancy new rules.

did it die due to damage or to a -/- effect? Don't think regeneration rules changed just generally when damage and stuff is applied

duxstar

I originally misremembered what the card said and it's base p/t. It is possible to pay for it with 5 colors if you have something that can make creature spells cost 1 colorless more like grand arbiter.

did it die due to damage or to a -/- effect? Don't think regeneration rules changed just generally when damage and stuff is applied

It died due to damage from blocking. Regeneration used to be something you could only do after a creature had been dealt lethal damage or a destruction spell had resolved, as I remembered it.

Damage isn't going on the stack anymore, so that may be where the confusion lies.

This was another confusing thing, but I looked up the change to regeneration and my problem was with an older change. No more bouncing your own guy back to your hand after assigning damage, though :(.

I originally misremembered what the card said and it's base p/t. It is possible to pay for it with 5 colors if you have something that can make creature spells cost 1 colorless more like grand arbiter.

Ah, thanks. Learned some new stuff. Feel so old, though.

Jhriad

but Painful Truths is a much better choice in the lists that can support it.

It's potentially marginally better in a small number of situations where you've got three different colors of mana available, you don't need to hold any of those colors up, and you've got several cards that you're looking to draw into rather than just a single answer. Read the Bones might not draw you three cards immediately but between drawing 2 and Scry 2 you're able to shape your subsequent draws to much better effect. Scrying two isn't a draw but because you're able to ship away cards to the bottom of your deck that you wouldn't want or reorder the top of your deck for better play it can be just as effective. By scrying cards to the bottom of your deck you can effectively "skip" dead draws. Also, it's a rare when Read the Bones is a common in Origins, for multicolored draw we've got Abzan Charm (with more options), and UBx Control has access to Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time. No way is that card a Rare.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I thought the previous mention of her, when Sorin and Ugin were talking, implied that Sorin had done something to her and/or for her that Ugin might not like. Whether she was Vamp'd or whatever.

Also, hold up a second. When Ugin and Bolas fought last in Fate Reforged, they were both old walkers right? And then Ugin took the long nap in the crazy hedron grave and woke up, and he's a neowalker now, right? And he didn't notice or remark on this change in his power and nature? Unless I'm misremembering?

I think by the time of their fight the mending had already happened, it was only 1000 years ago and we're past that now for "how long its been since Time Spiral"

Plus the whole "old/new planeswalker" think is something Wizards doesn't really want to acknowledge

The Technomancer

Don't you have to, like, preemptively regenerate now ? I'm kind of out of the loop tbh too, stopped playing around ravnica block (basically before going to high school) and just recently picked up again

Yeah there's a reason they're phasing regeneration out of the game

This was another confusing thing, but I looked up the change to regeneration and my problem was with an older change. No more bouncing your own guy back to your hand after assigning damage, though :(.
The problem with damage on the stack was that although it's a fun interaction, it's both unintuitive for new players and actually reduced the depth of the game.

When damage is on the stack and your creature trades with their creature but you have a sac/blink effect like Mogg Fanatic, the play was to sac or blink your creature 100% of the time to get extra value. Now that damage doesn't go on the stack, there are more tactical decisions to make. Kill your attacker or get the sac effect? It makes for better gameplay.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When do you have 3 different colors available when digging for lands, what if the top 3 cards in the library aren't lands?

Even in decks that can support the converge you shouldn't underestimate the costs of having to pay 3 different colored mana.

The filtering along makes Read the Bones a better choice. Conditional card advantage isn't always king.

The Technomancer

fastphantom asked: Hey Mark! It's finally my birthday, and I wondered if you had any cool info/story about my favorite set Prophecy?

Prophecy was lead designed by a person who, to the best of my memory, never served on another design team - William Jockusch.

Happy Birthday!

w-why?

had to be the first set they ever played with right?

Yeef

I think by the time of their fight the mending had already happened, it was only 1000 years ago and we're past that now for "how long its been since Time Spiral"

Plus the whole "old/new planeswalker" think is something Wizards doesn't really want to acknowledge
They were both old walkers at the time. THey mentioned it in the story panel for Fate Reforged and in several articles and/or blog posts and/or videos.

en_pceTu6CmBb.png
en_rXcm01PtXd.png
en_t7ZQGI9WyJ.png
en_gudjJeAkuS.png
en_GxXxtDMbnP.png
en_Yi2uchXkXz.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wasteland Strangler appears to be an Emrakul spawn.

Yeef

If 5-color really ends up being a thing in draft, it could be cool to have 2 or 3 retreats in play with a couple of spell-lands in your deck. Talk about value.

Yeef

By the way, just a heads up: we were only able to order half the number of fat packs from Wizards direct in our opening order vs. other sets. Doesn't necessarily mean the supply will be lower for reorders, but it is for opening orders.

hort

Neo Member
I'm going to end up forcing 5 color in all of my drafts. I know I probably shouldn't, but I don't think I will be able to help myself.

I want to say its only been 400 years since time spiral. Explicitly stated by the story team at some point. Venser is your anchor here, he didn't become a walker till after time spiral and was still young when he died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom